2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anything I can buy to calibrate my 61A750? Or, do I have to pay someone 3 bills to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-X View Post

damn.. thats making me nervous dude..
When they carried my 61a750 out of best buy yesterday and were putting it on the truck i specifically asked if it needed to stay stood up or was it okay to lay it down. The sales guy said NO you have to stand it up, you CANT lay it down, then the manager interrupted him and said
"Na na na No, don't forget that this is LED, normally it is NOT okay to lay it on its back , but since this is LED and has no color wheel or lamp, you'll be fine"
so they carefully laid it flat on its back. I then drove it about 20 minutes home, and immediately and carefully took it off the flat bed and stood it upright.

Does laying it down on its back aid in the bowing/sagging issue? and if so HOW?

NO, you can't lay it down. True, it does not have a color wheel or grid, but it is still a DLP with mirrors.

Bill
post #183 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermansa View Post

Ok well if I did get a new receiver can you describe the connections for me???
I have the samsung tv, direct tv (hdtv), and a ps3
thanks

Well, assuming you get a new receiver that has HDMI inputs, and will do upconversion of any inputs (component, composite, etc) to HDMI, it could be as simple as this:

PS3: One HDMI cable to the receiver
Direct TV:If this has HDMI, then one HDMI to the receiver. If not, then one component connection and one optical connection to the receiver.
Receiver to TV: One HDMI cable.
(Optional if you use over the air antenna for HD. One optical cable from TV to receiver)

Do that and then get yourself a harmony universal remote and you will be a happy person.

I have 3 devices, PS3, Cable box, upconverting DVD player. All of these are connected with HDMI to the receiver, and I run one HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I have the TV sound disabled, I listen to everything through my surround sound speakers.
post #184 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

NO, you can't lay it down. True, it does not have a color wheel or grid, but it is still a DLP with mirrors.

Bill

The mirrors should not move if the set is layed down. Even one with a bulb and color wheel can be put on its side without any problems. A plasma TV should not be layed down because the glass can crack.
post #185 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Bill

Gulp
utohhhh..
If i test this thing tonight and its messed up im gonna kill that manager at best buy

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

The mirrors should not move if the set is layed down. Even one with a bulb and color wheel can be put on its side without any problems. A plasma TV should not be layed down because the glass can crack.

Ok, Conflicting info now.
So should I be nervous or not?
i guess tonights tests will hold the truth.

Im going to grab the firmware upgrade and some test grid images now to pop on my thumb drive for the unboxing of my baby tonight.
also im not sure if i remember correctly, but i think i recall reading somewhere on one of the two 61a750 threads here that there are actually test images you can access thru the menus on the 61 750. is that true? and if so, where might they be located?
THANX GUYZ

Jay a.k.a. X

Samsung 67A750-Denon 2809CI-DefTech PM1000/PC2000/PM800-Klipsch Sub12
PS3(250GB)-Sony BDP S350-DTV HDDVR HR21

post #186 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

Well, assuming you get a new receiver that has HDMI inputs, and will do upconversion of any inputs (component, composite, etc) to HDMI, it could be as simple as this:

PS3: One HDMI cable to the receiver
Direct TV:If this has HDMI, then one HDMI to the receiver. If not, then one component connection and one optical connection to the receiver.
Receiver to TV: One HDMI cable.
(Optional if you use over the air antenna for HD. One optical cable from TV to receiver)

Do that and then get yourself a harmony universal remote and you will be a happy person.

I have 3 devices, PS3, Cable box, upconverting DVD player. All of these are connected with HDMI to the receiver, and I run one HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I have the TV sound disabled, I listen to everything through my surround sound speakers.

Thanks for the help, I basically need a receiver w/ at least 2 HDMI inputs, 1 from ps3 and 1 from directtv receiver. Then an HDMI out to the tv right????
Sounds somewhat easy, lol
Thanks again mike
post #187 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Thanks for the help, I basically need a receiver w/ at least 2 HDMI inputs, 1 from ps3 and 1 from directtv receiver. Then an HDMI out to the tv right????
Sounds somewhat easy, lol
Thanks again mike

If your not ready to take the plunge on a NEW receiver, In posted this for you a couple of pages back as an option:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=155
post #188 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXVp View Post

Here's the question: Can a typical user make any headway in tweaking the set using the DVE CD by itself? Also, can a user make any useful adjustments without DVE and carefully tweaking some of the areas in the service menus to improve anything or check alignments etc.? Thanks in adavance for any input on the subject...Russ B.

With just DVE (or, better yet, Get Gray), you can calibrate contrast, brightness, color decoder (using blue only mode on TV) and certain alignments. All except the alignments can be done via the user menus. With additional equipment (e.g., colorimeter/spetroradiometer) and software, you can also do gamut, gray scale (tracking and color temperature) and gamma tracking. Color gamut must be done via the service menu. Gray scale can be done via the user menu (WB control) but I do not believe you will get the best results that way. For Gamma tracking you always have the option to just select a curve that best fits your viewing habits (games, movies, dvds, etc.) and preference in regard to black crush, etc. That is, try each and select the one you like best. If you are only using a CD for the callibration, I'd suggest you avoid using the service menu for tweaks. With appropriate directions, a typically user can accomplish the contrast, brightness, color decoder (using blue only mode on TV) calibration and certain alignments FWIW.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #189 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM

I think I am I just want to make sure I buy one that has the proper connections and I want to make sure the ones I listed above are correct.
PS3 to receiver HDMI
directv to receiver HDMI
then receiver to TV HDMI
I think thats it!!!
post #190 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM

has anyone gotten a concrete answer as to what is causing the upper reflection on this year's LED sets, is it due to cabinet design?
post #191 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I am I just want to make sure I buy one that has the proper connections and I want to make sure the ones I listed above are correct.
PS3 to receiver HDMI
directv to receiver HDMI
then receiver to TV HDMI
I think thats it!!!

Here's a receiver that might interest you. Since you have a PS3, you do not need a receiver that decodes the NEW HI-DEF Audio because the PS3 does it for you & sends it to the receiver as LPCM, which this receiver offers...

It also has 3 HDMI Inputs & 1 HDMI Output. It also offers 4 Component Inputs & 1 Component Output

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do
post #192 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Donb, thanks very much for your thoughts. The world of HDTV is very new to me, along with the meaning/inportance of allot of the terminology. It sounds to me that your advising against diving into the service menus for any fine tuning hot rodding affects with the set, but instead offering the use of 'Get Gray' as a means to look for some additional enhancements that a very typical user may be able to handle. I appreciate your feedback, thank you. Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

With just DVE (or, better yet, Get Gray), you can calibrate contrast, brightness, color decoder (using blue only mode on TV) and certain alignments. All except the alignments can be done via the user menus. With additional equipment (e.g., colorimeter/spetroradiometer) and software, you can also do gamut, gray scale (tracking and color temperature) and gamma tracking. Color gamut must be done via the service menu. Gray scale can be done via the user menu (WB control) but I do not believe you will get the best results that way. For Gamma tracking you always have the option to just select a curve that best fits your viewing habits (games, movies, dvds, etc.) and preference in regard to black crush, etc. That is, try each and select the one you like best. If you are only using a CD for the callibration, I'd suggest you avoid using the service menu for tweaks. With appropriate directions, a typically user can accomplish the contrast, brightness, color decoder (using blue only mode on TV) calibration and certain alignments FWIW.

post #193 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearhart33 View Post

One observation is the awkward way closed captioning is handled. I split the cable and have one connected directly to the TV so PIP will function. Through this connection the TV handles the captioning signal. Apparently HDMI doesn't carry the captioning signal. The captioning must be handled by the cablebox which is functional but awkward to turn off and on. I have not seen any comments regarding this on the threads so I wanted to put it out there. No complaints about the picture quality at all.

I just wonder if that is a cable box limitation on not carrying CC signal if it really doesn't. However, maybe eventually a software update would make it easier to get to. Through updates, my DirecTV DVR box (HR20) takes only 2 keypresses to turn CC on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSz View Post

Anyone know if there are different codes on this TV than the standard Samsung remote codes? Just took delivery today and am trying to get the Comcast Custom DVR 3 Device remote in sync with the TV so I can power it on/off with the Comcast remote as well as control the volume. No luck so far.

Should be standard Samsung DLP codes (not sure if those are completely "Samsung standard"). Same codes for over 5 years, except maybe for some additional ones for new types of inputs that the early sets didn't have.

Matt
post #194 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

If you place the set face down often you will end up with black flecks attached to the back of the screen (they are loose inside of the cabinet and the screen is somewhat "sticky"). There is a warning about such in the owner's manual...
post #195 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If you place the set face down often you will end up with black flecks attached to the back of the screen (they are loose inside of the cabinet and the screen is somewhat "sticky"). There is a warning about such in the owner's manual...

What Charles said. We left the 61" boxed in the back of a Grand Caravan. Only way it would go was flat...but I had them lay it front-side up. No issues.
post #196 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post

What Charles said. We left the 61" boxed in the back of a Grand Caravan. Only way it would go was flat...but I had them lay it front-side up. No issues.

to all the previous posts as well, i've always heard that you can lay it down screen side up but NOT screen side down. so i think that's why we get conflicting information. i don't see why laying the tv down on it's back with the screen facing up would do anything.
post #197 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxiliary View Post

to all the previous posts as well, i've always heard that you can lay it down screen side up but NOT screen side down. so i think that's why we get conflicting information. i don't see why laying the tv down on it's back with the screen facing up would do anything.

ya know, thats what i figured. and just to clarify, it was screen side up, laying on its back.
but apparently the only issue in the case of a 750 would be the mirrors, as mentioned earlier. I have been reading around and haven't found anything yet to support that (mirrors moving due to laying it on its back in transit).
and in this case i just hope thats correct.
however I will know shortly as 3 hours from now i will get to test it and see.

Jay a.k.a. X

post #198 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXVp View Post

It sounds to me that your advising against diving into the service menus for any fine tuning hot rodding affects with the set, but instead offering the use of 'Get Gray' as a means to look for some additional enhancements that a very typical user may be able to handle.

Yes. If all you are doing are contrast, brightness, color & tint and selecting a gamma curve, I'd stay out of the service menu because that's safer and you can accompllish the same thing using the User Menu. I suggested Get Gray as my CD of choice because of the patterns available and its ease of use. (DVE has far more patterns that are more suited to evaluating a display rather than calibration and is a pain to navigate.) On the otherhand, DVE has some nice step-by-steps guides. The documentation with Get Gray is slim but is sufficient for the average user to be able to calibrate the parameters mentioned above.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #199 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM

Don, I'll look into this, and again, thank you!

Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Yes. If all you are doing are contrast, brightness, color & tint and selecting a gamma curve, I'd stay out of the service menu because that's safer and you can accompllish the same thing using the User Menu. I suggested Get Gray as my CD of choice because of the patterns available and its ease of use. (DVE has far more patterns that are more suited to evaluating a display rather than calibration and is a pain to navigate.) On the otherhand, DVE has some nice step-by-steps guides. The documentation with Get Gray is slim but is sufficient for the average user to be able to calibrate the parameters mentioned above.

post #200 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 PM

I read on the long original thread ,, the one with like 100+ pages... someone else laid it down too, and they had no bowing at all.

I laid mine down.. and the in store display had the EXACT same problem And it wasn't laid down. My dad works at a walmart,, and sometimes they lay them down (the rear projection tvs) and sometimes they are even delivered on their sides. Of course the consumer will never know.
They just receive and unload.

But.. here's more info.. The owners manual does state under PLACEMENT: "Place the TV in a vertical position only." It goes on,, well ventilated area.. etc. So I took that to mean when your watching TV, keep it only upright.

In another section, CABINET it states : If you place the TV set face down, it might cause a problem because of dirt, or some other contaminant may become attached to the inside of the TV set.
With that,, I deduced that I may lay it down, if I wish, but only if it's not plugged in , like moving it around.

I also called and spoke with a Samsung rep,, she said that its best to keep it always upright and not move it around often. That when not upright,, it might move the tiny mirrors in the display device.

Oh and one more thing,, the unhelpful CC Store manager had told me it's not good for the bulb if i lay down the tv,,, i replied, It's not a bulb its an L.E.D. (the decal was still on the model even)
post #201 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

has anyone gotten a concrete answer as to what is causing the upper reflection on this year's LED sets, is it due to cabinet design?

wopino, you most likely have already seen this post from the other thread. I don't recall reading anywhere if this was confirmed as the definitive answer.
post #202 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Hello all,

I've been interested in the LED light engine since I first heard about it. When I was in the market for a TV I was price hunting an 89s for a while till I came across the owner's thread. I changed my mind because it seemed that on every page you had at least two or more postings of people plagued with issues about Halo artifacts, failed light engines, sucky Samsung support (that changed my opinion about them) horrible geometry issues, and so on and so on. I've already jumped into the SXRD camp with Sony but curious non the less: does this set fix all the issues of the previous set or is it seemingly plagued with issues? I like the idea of an LED light engine, but I've heard an equal treatment of glowing reviews and technical complaints.

Thanks!

-Kyle
post #203 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Over the holiday weekend I used a hacksaw to open up one of the round ports on the back of my 61A750 and looked inside. Man, I couldn't believe there were so many wires and circuit boards and connectors...is all that stuff really necessary? And it looked like some of the wires were not perfectly straight; some were kind of bent in order to make the connections. I think the people that put these TVs together have to be pretty small and have really long arms in order to see and work though those little port holes. And later, when I unplugged the TV, it wouldn't operate. Shouldn't there be some sort of back-up battery in this set to provide for uninterrupted operation during power outages? Or maybe this TV has a back-up battery, but mine has already died...oh my! And when I adjust the color and contrast intensity down to the minimum levels (energy conservation), the picture just seems to lose all its pop...really bummed about this.
So, should I return this problem-plagued set to BB; has anyone been successful in getting a 30-day extension on the 30-day time limit for returns?
Tip: when reinstalling the cover for the access port, apply a liberal amount of plumbers putty around the edge of the cover to hold it securely in place and to provide a tight seal against dust and critters.

I just want a big HDTV that doesn't have all these major problems...is that aksin too much?

The next time you are inside the TV, try licking the LED while it is on. The saliva intensifies the LED light and you can lower all of the settings on the TV to conserve energy but you will get more POP than you had before. Good luck.

*****not responsible for any personal injury while performing the above action******perform at your own risk*******I assume no liability for any damages or injury these actions may cause**********
post #204 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM

What stand are you guys using with this TV, I just bought the tv from Big river. Still deciding on the stand. I do have a Home theatre system. I read a review on the Samsung TR-500X3BX. It does not have the space for center speaker. Any suggestions.

Thanks-
post #205 of 15810 Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

wopino, you most likely have already seen this post from the other thread. I don't recall reading anywhere if this was confirmed as the definitive answer.

thanks for that...i remember reading that but thought nothing of it...so it is do to the way the screen was manufactured because ur essentially seeing thru the screen??
post #206 of 15810 Old 05-28-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAVS View Post

The next time you are inside the TV, ry licking the LED while it is on. The saliva intensifies the LED light and you can lower all of the settings on the TV to conserve energy but you will get more POP than you had before. Good luck.

*****not responsible for any personal injury while performing the ab
ve action******perform at your own risk*******I assume no liability for any damages or injury these actions may cause**********

LMFAO!!!!!!! call me crazy, but somehow hacksaw and DLP TV just dont seem to fit together in a sentence let alone in the same room together(unless your Jeff Foxworthy and your trying out new material for the "you know your a redneck when......" joke series). nice advice vader.
i especially enjoyed "and later when i unplugged the TV, it wouldn't operate" HAAAAAAHA!! classic

Jay a.k.a. X

post #207 of 15810 Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 AM

Hello all:

I just took delivery of the 750 from Big River and I generally think it's great but take a look at the screen shot, see the smudge i have circled.

What is that? Is this something I can fix or do I call Samsung? How does one remove the side access panel once you remove the lone screw?

Thanks for any advice.

John
LL
post #208 of 15810 Old 05-28-2008, 05:50 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tibbs View Post

Hello all:

I just took delivery of the 750 from Big River and I generally think it's great but take a look at the screen shot, see the smudge i have circled.

What is that? Is this something I can fix or do I call Samsung? How does one remove the side access panel once you remove the lone screw?

Thanks for any advice.

I think getting the sharpie marks off the screen are going to be a much bigger problem than the smudge .
post #209 of 15810 Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 AM

Actually I used "Dry Erase" markers
post #210 of 15810 Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tibbs View Post

Actually I used "Dry Erase" markers

Hey John in your picture is your camera causing that pincushion effect, or is this how your display looks...

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page