Forum Jump: 

post #2401 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

My PS3 is hardwired, so I can't help you. But you'd have MUCH better luck in the PS3 thread in the blu-ray forum. There's probably also one in the gaming forum.

THANKS! I checked out some related AVS boards and I think I figured it out. If I broadcast my SSID, I can get connected even with WPA enabled. For some reason, it wouldn't connect with SSID hidden (even when I told PS3 what it was). I haven't tried on-line gaming yet, so I still might need to hard-wire if there are problems, but surfing and media streaming from my media server (i.e. PC on the LAN) is great.

Thanks again to all who recommended going with a PS3 instead of just an up-converting DVD player. The PS3 in combination with the 67'' Sammy is awesome. Short of having a PC, the only gaming console I ever owned was an Atari 2600--they have come a long way baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

How far away are you when noticing the buzzing? I'm about eight feet away and I hear no buzzing at all.

I'm about 12 feet away in a basement with no other sound. I can't really hear it when audio is on. If this sound should be expected, I am not going to worry about it. However, if anyone knows that the sound is indicative of something wrong/in need of repair, let me know.

I don't remember any audible sounds on my old SD 50'' RPTV though.
post #2403 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATman94 View Post

I'm about 12 feet away in a basement with no other sound. I can't really hear it when audio is on. If this sound should be expected, I am not going to worry about it. However, if anyone knows that the sound is indicative of something wrong/in need of repair, let me know.

I don't remember any audible sounds on my old SD 50'' RPTV though.

For what it's worth...I hear no audible sounds from my set.
post #2404 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

same here
post #2405 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey all. I haven't been on AVS in a long while. I am a proud owner of an
HL-S5087W. I purchased it almost 2 years ago and It's one of the best electronics purchases I've made. Amazing PQ, rich colors, I can't complain. I'm eyeing the 61A750 now because I went from front projection to my current set and I miss the bigger screen. 61" is about the max I can fit on my stand, and with the new games coming out this fall I would love to have the bigger screen.

To current owners, would you recommend it? I would recommend my TV to friends even after 2 years, that's how much I like it, what say you about the LED DLP set to a potential owner?

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #2406 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsguy View Post

Hey all. I haven't been on AVS in a long while. I am a proud owner of an
HL-S5087W. I purchased it almost 2 years ago and It's one of the best electronics purchases I've made. Amazing PQ, rich colors, I can't complain. I'm eyeing the 61A750 now because I went from front projection to my current set and I miss the bigger screen. 61" is about the max I can fit on my stand, and with the new games coming out this fall I would love to have the bigger screen.

To current owners, would you recommend it? I would recommend my TV to friends even after 2 years, that's how much I like it, what say you about the LED DLP set to a potential owner?

Well, I'll try to keep this short. This will be crystal clear if you are familiar with plasma technology and what is currently considered to be the best of the best...

I was going to purchase a 60" Pioneer Kuro. I decided to buy the Samsung 61A750 instead. Regardless of the money I saved...I couldn't be happier. I honestly do not feel that I sacrificed anything at all and I sincerely mean that.
post #2407 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I'll try to keep this short. This will be crystal clear if you are familiar with plasma technology and what is currently considered to be the best of the best...

I was going to purchase a 60" Pioneer Kuro. I decided to buy the Samsung 61A750 instead. Regardless of the money I saved...I couldn't be happier. I honestly do not feel that I sacrificed anything at all and I sincerely mean that.

That's an excellent recommendation. It's funny, when I bought my 50" there were comparable LCD's like the latest 46" XBR. After my friend bought it and I saw it in person I was that much more happy with my set which incidentally was like $1000 cheaper

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #2408 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I can hear the buzzing sound from about 6 ft away... if the tv is in dynamic mode (or in std mode with a bright scene). The buzzing sound defn. gets modulated by (the brightness of) the picture.

I read in a different (older LED Samsung model) forum that somebody had the LED engine replaced because of the buzzing sound, and the tech showed him the LEDs, and it was discolored in some manner. I will try to dig up the link and post it...

For now, I am sitting tight, and ignoring the buzzing sound!
post #2409 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEman View Post

Hi, would you guys help me decide btw the 61 and the 67? I have a BDI tv stand that is exactly 22" high and 77" wide. So I have room for either set. When seated on the couch your head would be 11.5 to 12 feet from the front of the screen. My main concern is viewing angles. Wouldnt the 67 be too high? Since the center of the screen would be higher, I just dont know if the screen would darken to the point where I'm better off with the smaller set. Or does the 67 actually improve viewing angle since the screen takes up more area and actually spreads light even wider? Thanks for any advice.

The vertical center of the 67" is less than 2" higher than the center of the 61". At viewing distance of 12 feet you would not be able to detect the difference.
post #2410 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v256 View Post

I can hear the buzzing sound from about 6 ft away... if the tv is in dynamic mode (or in std mode with a bright scene). The buzzing sound defn. gets modulated by (the brightness of) the picture.

I read in a different (older LED Samsung model) forum that somebody had the LED engine replaced because of the buzzing sound, and the tech showed him the LEDs, and it was discolored in some manner. I will try to dig up the link and post it...

For now, I am sitting tight, and ignoring the buzzing sound!

Hello People...

My first post here...

Main shoutout to v256 and Batman94 since no one really answered the buzzing issue....

I have a HL61a750 since the end of August...I did notice the buzzing and I asked the Samsung "chat" service on their website about it...They suggested that I call service since it is still under warranty...

I called service...they had me answer a bunch of questions..like "could I hear it if the volume of the tv is at "20"? As I don't really notice it at that level (I actually have it hooked to a home theater) but CAN hear it if I really "listen" for it I told them "YES". (I'm almost certain that I could hear it at "Dynamic" and/or if the LEDs are set to "HIGH" or "AUTO".)

So, they are going to send someone to look at it on Monday, September 22nd. I will post the results!!!!

Hopefully it is something conclusive....

Plex
post #2411 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:

FYI: While playing with the TV this morning, I noticed the buzzing sound folks were mentioning. In an otherwise quiet room dynamic mode sounds like a bad fluorescent light, and the buzzing diminishes in a graduated fashion as you lower the LED light setting.

Also, when I first turn on the TV, during it's "warm up", there are three distinct low light flashes on the screen along with buzzes before it goes black then to OTA programming. Probably just its normal warm up routine, but if not, let me know.

So, is this buzzing within Samsung's tolerances, or do I need a tech to address it?

Would the LED light engine and/or driver board be covered under the MACK warranty if I choose to purchase it?

The warm-up stuff is normal. Mine buzze VERY quitely for a second or two in time with the flashes. I've never even set my tv to Dynamic. It sounds like this mode puts too much on the LED, causing it to buzz as it works harder. This could certainly damage the LED or shorten the life of the LED. Besides that, the set basically looks like crap in Dynamic mode anyway. That Samsung DNIE thing sure was a marketing gimmick if I've ever seen one.
post #2412 of 15706 Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1313 View Post

The warm-up stuff is normal. Mine buzze VERY quitely for a second or two in time with the flashes. I've never even set my tv to Dynamic. It sounds like this mode puts too much on the LED, causing it to buzz as it works harder. This could certainly damage the LED or shorten the life of the LED. Besides that, the set basically looks like crap in Dynamic mode anyway. That Samsung DNIE thing sure was a marketing gimmick if I've ever seen one.

All people are hearing is the power supplies and the switching function between the LED's. These LED's use enormous amounts of current (30A @ 3v) and what some people are hearing could be caused by a loose winding in an inductor or something like that.. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is loud. If I stick my head behind the tv - and REALLY listen hard, I can barely hear it. My older 5087S I had, you could hear it clear as day, but it was not very loud.
post #2413 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

I am reccomending the 61" version of this TV to my friend (replacing his old 50" 720p Samsung DLP). Instead of buying a smaller TV with a warranty I figured it would be better to invest that extra money in a LED engine TV so you never have to worry about bulb replacements. Looks like I've made a pretty good choice after reading part of this thread, the Cnet review, and various customer reviews. I used to work at Circuit City and I was always impressed with the Blu-Ray watch demo that would always play on the older model LED engine DLPs, and considering the improvements they've seem to made to the latest model makes it very easy to reccomend.

I'm sure he will be talking a lot of **** about how his TV is better than my 65" Mitsubishi, but his lack of surround sound right now still gives me the edge...
post #2414 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:

OK, thanks. Interesting though that they put the Dynamic feature on it it can really damage the LED system (i.e., Here's a nice button for you to press, but don't press it because it can hurt your TV).
post #2415 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexboy View Post

Hello People...

...So, they are going to send someone to look at it on Monday, September 22nd. I will post the results!!!!

Plex

Thanks. Keep us posted!
post #2416 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 07:34 AM

I've had the HL61A70 since 9/13/2008. The picture is amazing from what little HD I've been able to throw at it. Here's the problem... I REALLY want to use my computer as a HTPC. I hooked it to the HDMI/DVI port, and changed the input type to PC per the manual. Well, whether I have it set to PC mode or not, I have the same problem. I have the resolution on my computer (ATI Radeon x1950XT) to 1920x1080 60Hz. I have a black bar at least an inch on each side, and 3/4" on the top and bottom all the way around. I've tried the Wide PC mode to stretch it, but it won't go past that point. I have wasted space all the way around, and it's very annoying. I've even left the PC name off, and ran it in "Just Scan" with the same exact results. A black border about 1" all the way around. Am I doing something wrong? I was going to update the firmware in hopes that would make a difference, but the firmware I have (1006.2?) is newer than the one on Samsung's site. I wanted to add a Blue-Ray drive to my PC, and use it for all my media, but if I can't get this working, I don't know what I might do (exchange for LCD?)

Thanks in advance...
post #2417 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
^^^Kevin, does your ATI software allow you to resize the desktop? My HTPC has an nVidia 7600GT card which allows me to do that. I had the same problem with the Wide PC setting, but I'm pretty sure that there was another choice that eliminated the black frame but with overscan (I'm at work now, so don't recall exactly).

Anyway, what I've ended up doing is naming the input "--", setting it to JustScan and doing a custom rez to get rid of overscan (1853x1040). Not naming the input also gives me more color controls. The curious thing is that the TV still IDs the input rez as 1920x1080, which I don't understand.
post #2418 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 AM

This problem is your PC no the TV. Your drivers have a wring setting of some sort... make sure it is not turning "OFF" overscan somehow in your ATI settings... I use NVIDIA myself....

You WANT overscan...right??? Otherwise your picture is being scaled...
post #2419 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM

The weird thing is that I get the black border despite the settings I choose from. Wide PC, Wide TV, or turn off PC mode ( ---) and use Just Scan all result with a 1" black border around the picture. I installed the newest Catalyst drivers last night in hopes that would help. I definitely have the card set to 1920x1080. I've lowered it to the next "supported" res, which was like 1380?x768 or something like that. In that scenario, I can get it to fill the screen only if I use Wide PC mode, and expand it to fit. It's almost like it's not recognizing the signal from my graphics card as 1920x1080, and it's scaling the signal. It even comes up on the TV as 1920x1080. I'm using a molded DVI to HDMI cable. In other words it's not a DVI to HDMI adapter with an HDMI to HDMI cable. Could this be part of the problem? I thought the one-piece cable would be better for signal quality (less connections).

I didn't see any setting in the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) about disabling overscan. Another thing that I pondered was whether I damaged my display; I originally had the video card set to 1440x900 (My LCD monitor's resolution), when I plugged it in. It displayed a picture (scaled), and then I was able to crank it up to 1920x1080. I restarted the PC and the TV a few times with no benefit. The black border remained.

Sorry for such a long post.
post #2420 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Oh, and yes, I do believe I want the overscan, so the entire display is filled. Since I'm going to primarily use a Media Center type app like GB-PVR or Windows Media Center. And of course PowerDVD or whatever else, I'm not concerned about seeing right to the edge of the taskbar/start menu, or anything like that. Everyone says the overscan is very minimal anyway; which of course I can't confirm for obvious reasons.
post #2421 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexboy View Post

Hello People...

I called service...they had me answer a bunch of questions..like "could I hear it if the volume of the tv is at "20"? As I don't really notice it at that level (I actually have it hooked to a home theater) but CAN hear it if I really "listen" for it I told them "YES". (I'm almost certain that I could hear it at "Dynamic" and/or if the LEDs are set to "HIGH" or "AUTO".)

So, they are going to send someone to look at it on Monday, September 22nd. I will post the results!!!!

Plex

I just got one of these TVs and I noticed the same thing when in Dynamic mode. Now granted I don't run in Dynamic normally but in Movie so this isn't an issue really for me. I am interested in the results of your service call. I'm going to do some more testing on my end to see what setting cause the noise.
post #2422 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm207 View Post

Oh, and yes, I do believe I want the overscan, so the entire display is filled. Since I'm going to primarily use a Media Center type app like GB-PVR or Windows Media Center. And of course PowerDVD or whatever else, I'm not concerned about seeing right to the edge of the taskbar/start menu, or anything like that. Everyone says the overscan is very minimal anyway; which of course I can't confirm for obvious reasons.

Kevin, I'm using a DVI>HDMI cable, so that can't be it. Also, I don't think your TV is messed or damage; it does sound like it's a vid card issue. What about the refresh rate? At 60?

The overscan I see on mine hides half of the Windows task bar. Horizontally, if you click START, the icons on the program list are lost. It's not terrible, but if you maximize any window as you lose the upper right buttons. Not earth-shattering, but annoying at times.
post #2423 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Ummm....When I watch a BD movie I look at the screen....not the bezel

I think what the poster was asking is if the blacks are so dark that you wouldn't even be able to distinguish them from the bezel. (See the Kuro pictures thread for examples).

My belief is no, but personally I feel that as long as they remain a shade of black, that's what's important, as opposed to some sets where the letterbox bars are bluish instead.
post #2424 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool2007 View Post

Yeah, it actually defaulted to 480P, so I changed it to 1080P.
I think it may do games at 1080P, and HD-DVD's at 1080i. (I'm going to check a game tonight when I get a chance).

Not sure how the incorrect information got started that component supports 1080p on HD-DVD, but that is not true. Use VGA if you have an old 360 and want to get 1080p on HD-DVD.

EDIT: I saw the post a couple pages back about trouble with VGA, and I don't know what the issue is. You need to verify your 360 works on VGA by hooking up to a monitor and if that works verify you can hook another VGA device to the TV. There shouldn't be anything to it.

Matt
post #2425 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM

Well, my HDMI cable was finally delivered today. Until now I've just been watching OTA programming and 480i off the new PS3 on the Sammy 67''. Holy Shnikies, HDMI with Blu-Ray rocks! The only problem is that now that I have such a sweet picture, it is putting my old Dolby Pro-Logic audio system to shame. No joy on a 7.1 A/V Receiver for some time in the future, but man it's a nice picture.

Thanks again mike_Pro for this great forum!
post #2426 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Ok, thanks for you help. There is a setting in Catalyst Control Center that I had missed. Evidently by default the card sets the display to 15% underscan. So, I cranked it to 0%(underscan) and now the picture fills the entire screen with the expected overscan.

Now a new problem. I had slightly noticed before, but now it's especially noticeable. I have geometry problems; and not the postulate and theorem kind. It looks like my display needs to be rotated about 4 degrees clockwise. It's pretty annoying now that I've started looking closer, and using a different source besides TV. My taskbar is barely visible on the left side, and about half is showing on the right side. Is there anyway to adjust this? I sure hope so, I really want to like this TV. For $1800 + tax I expect no geometry issues. I was very careful to transport the TV. I have a pickup, so I kept it upright. I picked the TV up from the bottom only. Any ideas? Suggestions?
post #2427 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, thanks for you help. There is a setting in Catalyst Control Center that I had missed. Evidently by default the card sets the display to 15% underscan. So, I cranked it to 0%(underscan) and now the picture fills the entire screen with the expected overscan.

Now a new problem. I had slightly noticed before, but now it's especially noticeable. I have geometry problems; and not the postulate and theorem kind. It looks like my display needs to be rotated about 4 degrees clockwise. It's pretty annoying now that I've started looking closer, and using a different source besides TV. My taskbar is barely visible on the left side, and about half is showing on the right side. Is there anyway to adjust this? I sure hope so, I really want to like this TV. For $1800 + tax I expect no geometry issues. I was very careful to transport the TV. I have a pickup, so I kept it upright. I picked the TV up from the bottom only. Any ideas? Suggestions?

take it back and get another
post #2428 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslug View Post

I think what the poster was asking is if the blacks are so dark that you wouldn't even be able to distinguish them from the bezel. (See the Kuro pictures thread for examples).

My belief is no, but personally I feel that as long as they remain a shade of black, that's what's important, as opposed to some sets where the letterbox bars are bluish instead.

I understood what he was asking. I was trying to point out that I haven't been unsatisfied enough to compare it. I have my room painted black, so the bezel disappears into the background anyway. I still find the black levels to be more than satisfactory for me, and I sure would not blow money on a more expensive Kuro plasma just to get slightly better black levels. It's not worth it for me.
post #2429 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:

OK, thanks. Interesting though that they put the Dynamic feature on it it can really damage the LED system (i.e., Here's a nice button for you to press, but don't press it because it can hurt your TV).

I don't know for sure whether it can damaged it or not, but a mode that causes audible buzzing while the other modes don't (on most sets), it likely isn't that good for the LED.
post #2430 of 15706 Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... It looks like my display needs to be rotated about 4 degrees clockwise. ... Is there anyway to adjust this?

Your set needs a tilt adjustment done. It's a manual adjustment that requires realigning the entire DMD unit. This early in the game, I'd suggest that you have a tech do it. However, this adjustment is very tedious to do. It is not unheard of for a set to end up in a worst state than its initial condition if the tech gives up. There is something to be said for domingos suggestion. FWIW.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page