gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm207 View Post

I didn't see any setting in the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) about disabling overscan. Another thing that I pondered was whether I damaged my display; I originally had the video card set to 1440x900 (My LCD monitor's resolution), when I plugged it in. It displayed a picture (scaled), and then I was able to crank it up to 1920x1080. I restarted the PC and the TV a few times with no benefit. The black border remained.

[Edit: After reading the rest of the posts, I see that you already found this, but it might be useful to someone else.]

In CCC, go to the section shown in the following picture and move the slider all the way to the right. This should solve your problem when combined with having the TV in the correct mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 15746 Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexboy View Post

Hello People...

My first post here...

Main shoutout to v256 and Batman94 since no one really answered the buzzing issue....

I have a HL61a750 since the end of August...I did notice the buzzing and I asked the Samsung "chat" service on their website about it...They suggested that I call service since it is still under warranty...

I called service...they had me answer a bunch of questions..like "could I hear it if the volume of the tv is at "20"? As I don't really notice it at that level (I actually have it hooked to a home theater) but CAN hear it if I really "listen" for it I told them "YES". (I'm almost certain that I could hear it at "Dynamic" and/or if the LEDs are set to "HIGH" or "AUTO".)

So, they are going to send someone to look at it on Monday, September 22nd. I will post the results!!!!

Hopefully it is something conclusive....

Plex

Please do keep us updated. (Hope the tech can shed some light on this buzzing issue). thanks!
post #2433 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

For $1800 + tax I expect no geometry issues. I was very careful to transport the TV. I have a pickup, so I kept it upright. I picked the TV up from the bottom only. Any ideas? Suggestions?

"no geometry issues" not to put too fine a point on it but if you've read my previous posts in this thread, if you are serious about absolutely no geometry issues, DLP is not the tech for you, unless you have a very high tolerance for swapping out a set numerous times until you get one that is close to perfect. That's just the nature of the beast, in 2002 when I bought my first one, and in 2008 when I bought my second one. Its not going to change.

And yes, HTPC use makes even a small geometry issue much more irritating than just using it with normal TV type sources.

Matt
post #2434 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this deserves its own thread but this could be huge--I was on the fence big time on TriDef's 3D solution but this I would probably invest in--I think it stinks that nVidia would bring out something like this and single out Mits for official support but I'm hoping Samsung works just as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=14694239

Matt
post #2435 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by v256 View Post

Please do keep us updated. (Hope the tech can shed some light on this buzzing issue). thanks!

+1...got my 67a750 up and running Friday. Great picture but mine buzzes in dynamic mode also. Of course it's WAY too bright in Dynamic but i'd still like to know if the buzz is "normal" or if there's potential for future problems. I've got 30 days to make a decision as to keep it or not.

Also I get the audio "skip/dropout" every 3-5 minutes also. Basically sounds like the audio stops for a fraction of a second.

Btw...it came with the newer firmware also.
post #2436 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 AM

So whats the deal with the sound dropping out? I thought it was my cable, but I guess not.
post #2437 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzie View Post

So whats the deal with the sound dropping out? I thought it was my cable, but I guess not.

Finnaly another person with sound drop out....I really think this happens on all sets but no one really hears it or don't care about it.

Mine drops out every five min. when using component cables or rca cables to the tv.

can you explain what drop outs you are getting? if it is the same
post #2438 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzie View Post

I've got Directv sat running via component vid/stereo rca audio. Basically it sounds like a cd skipping. It's extremely brief...usually the skip just cuts a single word in half in the dialog. Seems to happen at regular intervals of 3 minutes but sometimes it will wait up to 5 minutes between skips.

I don't think this is the same dropout issue(which lasts much longer) that some are having. However, I did read in one of the A750 threads here that someone else is having the same "skip" in sound that I'm getting so I'm not the only one.

edit:
Thanks Samhung...I believe it was your posts I read about the "skip". Maybe it's the rca inputs?
post #2439 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhung View Post

Finnaly another person with sound drop out....I really think this happens on all sets but no one really hears it or don't care about it.

Mine drops out every five min. when using component cables or rca cables to the tv.

can you explain what drop outs you are getting? if it is the same

I'm using a HDMI cable with a Comcast DVR box. The complete sound would drop out for 1 second or less. I thought it was the source, but when I played back the area that dropped out, the sound was now there. I returned that TV and haven't had a chance to test the new one, I'm too wrapped up with bowing/pincushion issues. This is starting to be a hassle!
post #2440 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Samhung and anyone else with the audio dropouts/skip...could it be caused by a grounding/ground loop issue?

I ask as I get a bit of hum from my speakers also. When I remove the rca audio jacks coming from my sat receiver the hum goes away. My sat receiver is in another room/power circuit than the tv. I never had a problem with hum with my old crt but I guess the grounding scheme for the Sammy is different.

So you guys with dropouts/skip check for any humming from the speakers when you get a chance. Be sure to check each input/connected source.

-Ken
post #2441 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 AM

Ok, if the geometry problems are just a given, here's my next question, and I know it will get some flack from this forum. "If" I decide to return this set in exchange for an LCD or Plasma, what would be the best choice in the given price range ($1800)? We have a Sony Bravia in our boardroom here at work, and I noticed today how much clearer everything looked when connected to a PC. The text was clearer, no overscan to worry with (Could see the Start Menu and task bar), and no geometry issues. I understand the limits of the other technologies. Short life and burn-in with Plasma's and ghosting and bad black levels with LCD. So, with all that said, I just don't understand why they don't make the DLP's to more strict standards in terms of geometry, and then build sturdy enclosure's to prevent it getting distorted. I know that if I go with an LCD or plasma, that I'll have to go down in screen size, but I'm willing. I've heard that the newer Plasmas have less trouble with burn-in and better longgevity and I've heard that the newer LCD's have better black levels and better response/refresh (120Hz?). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I used GB-PVR last night, and was very impressed. It played most everything I threw at it. I've never used Media Center with Vista, so I really don't have much to compare to.
post #2442 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, if the geometry problems are just a given

Not exactly what I said, the only thing that is a "given" is that the people that don't care about geometry issues get the "perfect" ones and the rest of us have to try a time or two (or three or four). Are you saying you don't care to even try one more time? If its a big box store, you can probably even get them to hook it up and run some patterns on it to try it out right there. There are suggestions in various threads on what to throw at it for quick testing. Besides that I don't have much suggestion for you. I thought I was silly to be such a DLP evangelist once I saw a 37" LCD that I bought a couple years ago that I thought was pretty good. But now that I've got the new Sammy LED DLP I realize its still the best tech by far.

Matt
post #2443 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

"no geometry issues" not to put too fine a point on it but if you've read my previous posts in this thread, if you are serious about absolutely no geometry issues, DLP is not the tech for you, unless you have a very high tolerance for swapping out a set numerous times until you get one that is close to perfect. That's just the nature of the beast, in 2002 when I bought my first one, and in 2008 when I bought my second one. Its not going to change.

And yes, HTPC use makes even a small geometry issue much more irritating than just using it with normal TV type sources.

Thats a fine point. I agree! It took me a while to come to terms with it

It is hard to beat the value we get, for the PQ/size for movies or as a TV! HTPC isnt that bothersome anymore...
post #2444 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM

I just always seems to get burned when I return things. A good example is my 3G iPhone. The first one had two stuck pixels. They weren't all that noticeable, but once I saw them, it really bugged me. So, I sent it in (there's no Apple Store in Arkansas). The replacement phone (new) they sent me was crap. It was leaking light from around the left edge of the screen, had 3 or so stuck pixels right beside each other that made for a large stuck bright dot. So, I sent it back for my third phone which I currently have. It has the notorious yellow hued screen (evidently an inferior batch of LED's on the back-light) So, I got so tired of sending the phone in, I've contented myself with the yellow tinted iPhone. I'm just afraid that I'll have the same experience with my new TV. I saw that the Samsung PN50A550 had good reviews. I guess I'm just turned off by knowing that all DLP's will have some geometry issues. This just seems ridiculous in 2008 with a top of the line LED backlit DLP...
post #2445 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 AM

FYI: I got my 67" two weeks ago, no real issues at all. I have noticed, though, that MOVIE mode DOES have a green hue to it, but I don't know if that's because I'm not running hi-def DVD's or Blu Ray. Either way, my wife and I are quite content with this set. Afriend of mine brought over his HD-DVD player the first night and we watched the Transformers movie, and everyone was wowed. In particular, the scene toward the beginning during the military base attack and the machine sets off that pulse blast and everything shatters. Everyone went WHOA! A movie screen in my own home. Who knew? By the way, has anyone confirmed if these sets really are discontinued?
post #2446 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 09:40 AM

I love the picture quality and color accuracy of my HL61A70. I like how even non-HD sources/material still look pretty good. It seems I've noticed on some LCD TV's that they're not as forgiving on lower def material... So, anyway, I'm just trying to make a decision by tomorrow, cause if I'm going to return my set for exchange or refund, I need to do it tomorrow. I'm not sure what CC's return policy is, but I sure don't want to wait too long and not be able to return it.
post #2447 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

This morning after posting the above I connected my xbox360 via component input 2(sat is on comp.1) and it to has the audio skip every 3 minutes. It doesn't however have the ground loop hum so now I'm thinking grounding has nothing to do with my audio skip issue.

I just got back from running some work related errands and while I was out I stopped in to BB and listened to their display set. It's connected via the rf/coax input to their "house" hd signal. Though I looked like an idiot with my head pressed against the bottom of the set I didn't hear it skip or drop out.

I'll try my ps3 via hdmi after I get a little work done and eat some lunch.
post #2448 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post

FYI: I got my 67" two weeks ago, no real issues at all. I have noticed, though, that MOVIE mode DOES have a green hue to it, but I don't know if that's because I'm not running hi-def DVD's or Blu Ray. Either way, my wife and I are quite content with this set. Afriend of mine brought over his HD-DVD player the first night and we watched the Transformers movie, and everyone was wowed. In particular, the scene toward the beginning during the military base attack and the machine sets off that pulse blast and everything shatters. Everyone went WHOA! A movie screen in my own home. Who knew? By the way, has anyone confirmed if these sets really are discontinued?

What are you using Move mode for? Just standard DVD's?
post #2449 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Silly question, but the folks who are noticing the sound skip...you are hearing this through the TV speakers correct?

I was going to mention that I don't have this problem, but it is probably because all of my sources are being run through my A/V receiver.
post #2450 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 AM

the indicator lights on the bottom right hand corner.....maybe i was seeing things but......when you are watching tv....are any of them on....when my set is off there is a red light on... and when i turn on the set there is a flashing green one for a few sec. but when watching a show there is nothing...is this correct? i have the 61 a750 thanks for any help i just thought i saw green for several weeks now i dont ....
post #2451 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Silly question, but the folks who are noticing the sound skip...you are hearing this through the TV speakers correct?

I was going to mention that I don't have this problem, but it is probably because all of my sources are being run through my A/V receiver.

Well I am glad to see other people having this problem also, although I wish it wasn't there at all. This is my second set with the same problem and this set the tech came down and replaced the sound board with a new updated ver. Still the problem is there.

This only seems to happen with the rca and component sources.
This does not happen with HDMI hooked up or straight cable coax from the wall to the tv.

If you put the audio source directly to a reciever amp you will not get the skip, but if you put the audio source to the tv (rca,component) and use the sound output to your reciever you will get the skip.

The sam tech have contacted Samsung of Canada and they said I was the first to report this problem. They contected Samsung of Korea and they have said that they will have thier programmers working on this and send out a fix. (which could take up to a year) HDMI had this issue but has been fixed with an update.

I would suggest that other people phone Samsung with this problem so they know it's not just one guy that has this issue and maybe it WILL get fixed.
post #2452 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Yes, it's the TV speakers. The TV also seems to have a slight delay compared to my receiver.

Edit: Samhung, I was getting the skip using HDMI.
post #2453 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 10:47 AM

I'm not running it in Movie mode, it was just an observation I made while tinkering with the set and checking the different options.
post #2454 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 AM

Well, turns out i'm an idiot and the solution to my problem was in the box, my Xbox 360 elite came in. There was an adapter in there that allows the HDMi cable to be plugged in, and supplies jacks for Optical (and RCA) audio connections to a Audioreceiver. so now i've got full 1080P video and 5.1 audio.
post #2455 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:

By the way, has anyone confirmed if these sets really are discontinued?

What!! Can you provide links to other posts or sites where you saw this?
post #2456 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot View Post

What!! Can you provide links to other posts or sites where you saw this?

I don't have a link, it was the line that was given to me at Circuit City when I ordered this set on Labor Day. They claimed that the sets were too expensive from a manufacturing standpoint when most customers are leaning toward LCD and Plasma.
post #2457 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:

I don't have a link, it was the line that was given to me at Circuit City when I ordered this set on Labor Day. They claimed that the sets were too expensive from a manufacturing standpoint when most customers are leaning toward LCD and Plasma.

I would bet they are full of it. This set has received incredible reviews and is now more attractive than ever that LaserVUE is late and super expensive. I only wish they had a 72" version. Oh well, my HL67A750 should arrive next week - can't wait.
post #2458 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 AM

You should be quite happy with the 67". I couldn't even image a 72", it would be totally insane.
post #2459 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

poolfire,
There are three lights on front.
Large blue circle may be turned off or on during operation by menu choice.
Red LED is standby condition, off when running.
Green LED is receipt of IR remote signal flicker when sending a well aimed remote command to the TV.

TerryB
post #2460 of 15746 Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My wild guess is that the 750 series will be replaced by a new Dark Chip 4 line. And depending on how that new series sells, that may determine the future of Samsung DLP products. But I don't think we have reached the end of DLP.

Mickey
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page