3D Effect .............. Off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 868 Old 11-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
do any of your sets make any noticeable noise from normal viewing distances? My replacement set is on it's way and hoping it is quieter. I can hear the color wheel on my current tv. It's faint but noticeable,almost sounds like when you rub your finger around a wine glass over and over..it starts to make that high pitched sound (if you never done this it sounds odd I know). I am loving my new TV other than this color wheel noise. I was just curious if anyone elses set makes this noise, maybe I am overly sensitive to the sound. I do hope my replacement TV will not make that noise. thanks
post #363 of 868 Old 11-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepherd View Post

do any of your sets make any noticeable noise from normal viewing distances? My replacement set is on it's way and hoping it is quieter. I can hear the color wheel on my current tv. It's faint but noticeable,almost sounds like when you rub your finger around a wine glass over and over..it starts to make that high pitched sound (if you never done this it sounds odd I know). I am loving my new TV other than this color wheel noise. I was just curious if anyone elses set makes this noise, maybe I am overly sensitive to the sound. I do hope my replacement TV will not make that noise. thanks

I have an 56A650 and I haven't noticed the color wheel noise. However my wife and I are half deaf from yelling at each other, so we have the surround sound on fairly loud when we watch tv
post #364 of 868 Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 AM

lol, next time you two are not yelling at each other and if you think of it, can you mute it and let me know if you hear the high pitched noise. thanks..
post #365 of 868 Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

GS, I've never heard that kind of sound from my A650. But then many years in my youth shooting pistols without hearing protection wiped out my high frequency perception. So maybe my wife's been yelling at me too but I don't know it.

Anyway what I do hear is the fan when I turn off the TV. Very low but noticable if the room is quiet. Good luck on the replacement set.

Thanks for those default settings, pghflyer!

@fins11, as I remember Circuit City charges about $400 for 4 years but I think that includes 1 bulb like the BB extended warranty for much less. Maybe that's one reason they went bankrupt???

Hope all you new guys enjoy your Sammies! And I hope the FAQ helps out. If you have anything to add please do or notice anything that can improve the FAQ I can update the first post.

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #366 of 868 Old 11-14-2008, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have good ears and am picky about sounds on low volume (pulled the battery out of my wifes clock since the tick tick sound bugged me ) I can't hear the color wheel even with the sound muted. I can hear the fan if I am standing behind it with the sound muted but the DVRs make more noise.
post #367 of 868 Old 11-14-2008, 07:55 AM

I finally got a chance to do some tweaking with the picture and watch some things. I started with watching Star Wars on DVD via a componet connection. Picture looks great. I then watched the Jets / Patriots game via the HD cable box with HDMI. The game was on WPIX which was transmitting in 1081i. The picture was not that great. The best way to describe it is there seemed to be attifacts around the players when they were moving. More noticeable on the panned out shots. Close ups didn't look to bad. I then swithed to the College game on ESPNHD which was 720P. That picture was basically flawless. I guess the difference is the 1080i compared to 720p. I thought I read somewhere that 720P is much better then 1080i when it comes to sports or anything that there is alot of moving (i.e progressive handles it better the interlaced).

Overall I'm happy with the set but I still need to get more time with it.

I'm going back to 6th ave electronics today to find out exactly what is and what is not covered with the warranty.
post #368 of 868 Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 AM

thanks for the replies about the color wheel noise. Repl set comes on the 19th. I'll let you know how I make out.
post #369 of 868 Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

fins11, what you are describing sounds like macroblocking. This isn't a problem in the TV at all but in the source/broadcast. It's fairly common in HDTV transmission (OTA/cable/satellite) and basically what's happening is not enough data is being transmitted so you see the blocky outlines around fast moving images. A DLP is plenty fast enough to pretty much be immune to motion blur otherwise. Now a good Blu-ray or HD DVD system at 1080p24 should not have macroblocking during action scenes due to the steady and full data stream.

post #370 of 868 Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 AM

I have been reading this forum for a few days now and have decided upon a Samsung DLP. It will be in a rather large living room - seating is about 16' from the TV. I am having trouble deciding between the smaller, newer technology of the 67A750 vs. the larger, older technology of the 72A650. Will the additional 5" make a difference in this setting? Are there technological advantages justifying the smaller screen of the 750?

Any help/opinion is appreciated.
post #371 of 868 Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 PM

I've said it before, earlier in this thread....

My personal Rule of thumb: Start with the size you think is "right" for the space... then go up one size. Have you ever heard of anyone wishing their TV was smaller?!
post #372 of 868 Old 11-15-2008, 07:51 PM

I recently had a 60 inch Mitsubishi and had to return it for the smaller 56 inch Samsung and glad I did. I was at 11 feet and the 60 was just too big for me. It made me dizzy and gave me a headache and was hard to focus on things,esp pannng scenes and sports. The clarity was ok but just hard to enjoy it. The 56 inch is perfect for me at 11 feet. I also like the look of the Samsung bulb model vs LED. I was at 2 Circuit City's and Best Buys and in all 4 instances the LED models IMHO were lacking punch and the colors seemed odd. I fiddled with the adjusments at all 4 stores and could not get them to look as good as the bulb model, the bulb modlel looked far superior to me.
post #373 of 868 Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibricc View Post

I've said it before, earlier in this thread....

My personal Rule of thumb: Start with the size you think is "right" for the space... then go up one size. Have you ever heard of anyone wishing their TV was smaller?!

I read your previous post and think it is good advice when comparing apples to apples (bigger is better) but in this case the question involves a difference in technology. My question is, considering the size of the room, should size trump technological advantage or is the size so close I should go with the newer tech or even is the newer tech advantageous. Price is very close. Thank you though for your input.
post #374 of 868 Old 11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

In a big room, at 16 feet away, the 72" bulb driven DLP model may be preferable, as I think it puts out more light than the LED version, especially off axis.

I have the 72A650, and viewing at similar or slightly closer distances, I am very happy with the 72" size, the clarity, and the brightness.

The extra 5 inches in diagonal measurement over the 67" means an extra 16% more active screen area.
post #375 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith447 View Post

In a big room, at 16 feet away, the 72" bulb driven DLP model may be preferable, as I think it puts out more light than the LED version, especially off axis.

I have the 72A650, and viewing at similar or slightly closer distances, I am very happy with the 72" size, the clarity, and the brightness.

The extra 5 inches in diagonal measurement over the 67" means an [url="http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi"]extra 16% more active screen area.

Thanks Keith447 for the sound advice and the link. I think I have decided to go with the 72A650. Now if I can find a good vendor and a GREAT price. Hoping this season will provide excellent savings on this TV. Suggestions are welcomed.
post #376 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have a 72A650 coming from Amazon. A couple of weeks ago I bought the Mits 73735 from BB at a great price but could never get the colors right. I paid Best Buy to ISF calibrate the set. They actually did it twice and could not get it right. Out of the box it was way off and although it got better after each calibration it was still wrong.

The Mits with the Dark Chip 4 has phenomenal brightness and contrast and if the color had been right I would have been very happy with it. It is a very well built set. I had been watching a 65" HP DLP which UMR calibrated and although it had some build quality issues the color was very close to perfect I was very happy with it except for it being too small.

My veiwing distance is about 14 feet and 65" is just not adequate. I have my fingers crossed that the Sammy will be comparable to the Mits in build qulaity and image quality but with reasonably accurate color out of the box.

Just another blank signature.
post #377 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

What could you not get right about the color? Are you aware that BB does not calibrate color management systems, only gray scale and user color and tint. The Mitsubishi is a rather quirky color system to align. Why would you not use a calibration speciallist like UMR who has the right equipment and experience to do the set correctly?

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #378 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

What could you not get right about the color? Are you aware that BB does not calibrate color management systems, only gray scale and user color and tint. The Mitsubishi is a rather quirky color system to align. Why would you not use a calibration speciallist like UMR who has the right equipment and experience to do the set correctly?

For one UMR is no longer linving and working in my area. Quirky is right. UMR had a very negative opinion on the Mitsubishis and he suggested the Samsung. I should not have to have a full blown ISF by a national reputation calibrator to bring a TV set in line with what other brands can are capable of out of the box.

Both calibrators could not control green as they tried to set the grayscale in the lower IREs.. green spiked badly.

post #379 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

gtgray, let us know what your think of your A650. Hope it works out well for you. It's always interesting to hear from someone who's actually had a new Mits then a Samsung right in their own media room. Sounds like you're discriminating and can make fine distinctions between HDTVs. Most of us had to make a choice in the showroom instead. Though Mitsubishi makes fine sets they do have a reputation for being harder to calibrate. Not flaming them at all but I bet you'll find that the Sammy comes pretty close to what you want without a pro calibration. It would be interesting to hear what you think about contrast since the Samsungs still have DC3. Myself, I see no problem in that area.

I have to say in the showroom the 72" A650 looks better than the A750 to me. I just prefer the tint and brightness of the lamp models.

post #380 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

For one UMR is no longer linving and working in my area. Quirky is right. UMR had a very negative opinion on the Mitsubishis and he suggested the Samsung. I should not have to have a full blown ISF by a national reputation calibrator to bring a TV set in line with what other brands can are capable of out of the box.

Both calibrators could not control green as they tried to set the grayscale in the lower IREs.. green spiked badly.

If you want professional calibration that involves CMS, it does not matter what display you have, you won't get it from Best Buy calibrators. Their equipment and their service does not include color management. Your Samsung can be calibrated to be more accurate than the Mitsubishi, but BB won't be able to take full advantage of its capability. The Mits can be made to look quite good, BTW, if not perfect. Green spiking in the lower levels is not normal and the set may have had a problem. Could be that they just were not familiar with the controls.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #381 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I do not live there, but I do return.
post #382 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I do not live there, but I do return.

Jeff,

Yes, and most likely if your schedule allows and I have the Sammy while you are here in December I will want you to calibrate the Sammy. My 30 days with BB runs out before you would be available and so I felt it necessary to return the Mits. I will PM you when the Sammy arrives.

post #383 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

If you want professional calibration that involves CMS, it does not matter what display you have, you won't get it from Best Buy calibrators. Their equipment and their service does not include color management. Your Samsung can be calibrated to be more accurate than the Mitsubishi, but BB won't be able to take full advantage of its capability. The Mits can be made to look quite good, BTW, if not perfect. Green spiking in the lower levels is not normal and the set may have had a problem. Could be that they just were not familiar with the controls.

Actually, the second tech was very familiar with the Mits SM setup. I feel your are probably correct and there is something wrong with this paricular 73735.

I knew if I got it swapped out the replacement would almost certainly need to have a calibration to even get close to meeting my requirements as the Mits sets are just way out straight out of the box with little or nothing you can do in the user menus to fix it. The Mits is a very nice , well made TV. Shame on Mits for shipping them set up as poorly as they are.

When I first contracted with BB who sold me the set to calibrate it ,I did not know that is would not be a complete calibration. A major problem with using BB to calibrate is that they are obviously reluctant to tell you, your set needs to go back. Let me add, nothing would have made me happier than to see this all work out. I am out a bunch time, money and trouble at this point and who knows whether the Sammy I get will arrive in proper working order.

post #384 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 07:48 PM

Just a quick question from the owners of the 72" A650. I am in the market to p/u either the Mits 73835 or the Sammy 72A650. I can get both for a pretty good price, so this will not be the deciding factor for me. I will have it proffesionally calibrated and it will be replacing my Mits 65" diamond rptv that is in a dedicated ht room. What are the arguments for/against either way Mits vs. Sammy. I have been lurking around in this and the Mits. forums and just want to hear from people who have the current sets. Also any idea when the 72A750 will be out? I too an curious of the difference in techonolgys. Well enough for now.. any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
post #385 of 868 Old 11-16-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well there won't be an HL72A750 this year since the current LED light engine can't quite do the job on that large a screen. Maybe next year, hard to say right now. If Samsung stays with DLP another year no doubt they'd like their LED to compete better size wise with the Mits.

As far as the pluses and minuses of the HL72A650 and Mits, you've probably already heard plenty of opinions so I'll just say go out and compare them side by side if you can.

post #386 of 868 Old 11-17-2008, 05:19 AM

I too was considering the Mits until I read this CNET review http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...?tag=mncol;lst which seems to confirm what some have said here about the color problems with the Mits.

If anyone finds a really good price on the 72A650 please post it here. Thanks.
post #387 of 868 Old 11-17-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah that review isn't kind to the Mitsubishi WD-65735 though most people are happy with their Mits. CNet's review of the HL61A750 is very postive and the A650 equals the PQ of its more expensive sibling.
http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...tag=mncol;also

post #388 of 868 Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

Yeah that review isn't kind to the Mitsubishi WD-65735 though most people are happy with their Mits. CNet's review of the HL61A750 is very postive and the A650 equals the PQ of its more expensive sibling.
http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...tag=mncol;also

I guess that is really the question. There is a citation in the Mits thread where Home Theater is really critical of the blacks on 72A650. I am hopeful that the blacks are at least as good as the blacks on my HP DLP. I have to agree with the Home Theater magazine that the blacks on the Mits are very good. I guess if you want a big DLP you either deal with the warts of the Mits or the Sammy. I am staying optimistic on the Sammy. I can't see why the blacks would be worse than a couple year old 1080P Sammy lamp set, my brother has a 56" and while I never directly compared the blacks to something else the set looked great overall.

Quote:

The current issue of Home Theater has a review of the Mitsubishi WD-65835 and the Samsung HL61A650 by Tom Norton (TJN). The conclusions were:

Mits:

"The Mitsubishi has its limitations. Its video processing isn't above criticism, and (as you will read in the measurements) its measured test-pattern resolution isn't clean up to the maximum HD bandwidth. But the set looked impressive in most of my real-world viewing. Its color is superb, but its most rewarding feature is its exceptional contrast and (for a bright, rear-projection set) its solid, believable blacks. In this respect, it easily beats all buy a few flat-panel displays.

All that and a big, 65-inch screen for under $3000. What's not to like?"

Samsung:

"The Samsung performs well above its pay grade in nearly every respect. Apart from one characteristic, it can be considered a tremendous bargain. But its black level is among the worst we have measured. It may be an ideal set at the right price for the casual viewer who will leave it in Dynamic mode and watch a heavy dose of sports in a brightly lit room. But it's not a bargain for the serious videophile or heavy movie watcher who requires a good to excellent black level and reasonable shadow detail."

post #389 of 868 Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM

I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
post #390 of 868 Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The trouble with the CNET comparisons is that they are comparing the 61" Sammy LED to the 65" Mits. The comparo in Home Theater is 72A650 against the 73" Mits 73835. I don't know about other parts of the country but here in Houston the big Sammy is not in the stores at. If you want a 70 plus inch set you have to buy the Sammy online sight unseen from an online vendor.

The Mits has been a terrible frustration to me because you can see how much potential it has if it worked correctly and was calibrated properly. It has a richness to the picture from the high contrast and great blacks that is almost plasma like.

The Home Theater story talks about the 65" Mits selling for less than 3K, I paid $1999 plus tax for the 73" Mits I will be returning. The Sammy 72A650 will be about the same price delivered. I am hoping the Samsung blacks are closer to the Mits than Home Theater reviewer found. I did waste $250 on a BB calibration on the Mits. BB calibration is really only grayscale tracking, levels and sharpness. Sadly, a Mits neeeds a full calibration and mine did some weird things I don't think a calibration would fix.

I may get lucky enough to have the two sets in the house for at least a day or so before my 30 days is up on the Mits and I can do some A/B comparison I will provide my feedback for whatever that is worth.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page