post #541 of 864 Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

I love my 72, but honestly, the black levels aren't great. But the magic hands of Eliab will be here next week for a professional calibration, so I expect they'll be much better in due time.

Don't forget to let us know how the calibration turns out. Eliab had calibrated my 5078 which crapped out and is being replaced with a 50A650. This will probably be my last DLP set though. I paid $4200 for a HLN507 in 2003. It needed four repairs in a little over two years, and I got a PSP replacement of a HLR5078 in early 2006, and paid $400 for a new PSP. This one almost made it 3 years, but crapped out and replacement was cheaper than repair, so the PSP replaced it instead of repairing it. Now I'm getting the 50A650. If it lasts 3 years like the other two, then that will be 9 years for $4600.

DLP just doesn't seem very reliable to me. Two sets that lasted less than 3 years each...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 864 Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good luck WN....
I got my 50A650 in Sept as a PSP replacement for my Toshiba HDRPT in which BB could not replace the HDMI board that came loose 2 mos. shy of the end of the 4yr EW....it was the last 50A650....I too got another 4-yr plan (for the bulb if needed), but wonder if at the end of this unit's life what technology will be out there (how long can we expect bulbs to be available?)...
...still, I'm real happy with the Sami and will keep it as long as the pic looks like it does today...but then, my 10yr old Altima runs as good @ 160K miles as it did when I got it 6 yrs (and 110k miles) ago...and my 6-yr old Sony VAIO DVR is still burning DVDs fine too (with a DVD-RW upgrade from 2.5x to 22x )

Samsung HL50A650
post #543 of 864 Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitatiger View Post

Good luck WN....
I got my 50A650 in Sept as a PSP replacement for my Toshiba HDRPT in which BB could not replace the HDMI board that came loose 2 mos. shy of the end of the 4yr EW....it was the last 50A650....I too got another 4-yr plan (for the bulb if needed), but wonder if at the end of this unit's life what technology will be out there (how long can we expect bulbs to be available?)...
...still, I'm real happy with the Sami and will keep it as long as the pic looks like it does today...but then, my 10yr old Altima runs as good @ 160K miles as it did when I got it 6 yrs (and 110k miles) ago...and my 6-yr old Sony VAIO DVR is still burning DVDs fine too (with a DVD-RW upgrade from 2.5x to 22x )

Well, I delined the extended warranty because I was a little miffed at this exchange and based on what I know, the warranty was sounding increasingly useless.

When I finally got a manager involved and he got my 50A650 ordered, he tried to push a PSP on me again. I said that since the 5078 was a $3600 TV 2.5 years ago, and you were only giving me $1000 back now, how much would I likely get back on the new PSP 3 years from now?

The manager said in all probability the amount of a PSP exchange on the 50A650 would be based off the cheapest 46" LCD being sold at the time (including house brands), since there would be no 50" DLP sku's at BB anymore. He said he guessed it would be $500-$600 credit if this set lemoned @ 3 years like my past two. He said it could be even less, because he said he has seen some sets with no replacements pro-rated (So in this case, possibly $1000/4 years, so if it died after 3 years, you get $250), but that was before the new automated system was in place.

Also, what happened in this case was that the cost of the repair would have exceeded 50% the cost of a PSP junk out, so a repair wasn't even attempted. I was told that under the new automated PSP system, a junk out is automatic if the repair costs exceeded 50% of the replacement cost, unless the TV is in the final year of warranty. Then it is determined case by case. In the old system, the repair had to be more than 75% of the original purchase price, which meant old sets would keep getting repairs, even if it might be cheaper for AIG to just junk out the old set.

So potentially, if the unit gets pro-rated and I'm 3 years in, a bulb replacement is more than 50% of the $250 pro-rated value, which means if I tried to exercise that replacement, they would tell me I could either junk out the TV for a $250 store credit or eat the cost of the bulb myself, even though I paid $200 for the warranty.

So spending $200 to possibly get $250 back three years down the line didn't seem like the best deal to me. If the TV lasted 4 years, at most I would get is a $150 bulb and pay $200 for it, assuming a bulb going out wasn't cause to junk the set.

So I passed. I hope the TV lasts about two years and then I don't care. By then I will be in a larger house and able to get a 52" (or bigger) LCD with LED backlighting. Now that is a $3000+ TV, but in two years, it will probably be a $1600 TV with even better PQ and more features than today's models.
post #544 of 864 Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

wnorris, thanks for explaining the new BB repair/replace policy on their extended warranties and your sound logic. I bought my HL56A650 there and debated long and hard whether I should buy their EW before gambling and not buying one. I'm in the 8th month of my one year Samsung warranty so soon will be in no-man's land. Really hoping the set lasts two years at least since like you I figure I'll be at the break even point around then considering the better and cheaper technology you could buy at that time. Most people say you're insane not getting an EW on DLP but with the lower and lower prices of new HDTVs the rules may have changed. Still a crap shoot though. No one said life is easy!

I'm really not a fan of extended warranties. Without it it's my call not someone else's. I can replace the A650 with a modern TV plus still have the broken TV. If feasible I can attempt to repair the Sammy myself for use as a secondary TV. One of the reasons I got the 56" was that size worked better for us plus gambling on $1000 was a lot easier than gambling $2000+ on an HL72A650 or HL67A750. We could have made the HL61A750 fit but it cost much more and was a bigger gamble.

Ok if I quote you in the FAQ? We have new people asking about EWs occasionally and your experience might help them. Of course all that may be moot for this thread as Samsung DLPs fade into the sunset.

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #545 of 864 Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So Eliab was here today working on the 72 and let me tell you, it looks fanfreakingtastic. (As usual with Eliab, for those that have never used him. He's my regular calibrator. Oh, and he works magic with Samsungs. Just a plug. )

The black levels, look black! Incredible deep black, with shadow protection - woo hoo! And my whites, no more green tint! We went through everything and while I don't understand it all, we both saw the green and now it is gone. It was a heavy, heavy green too. It was clear as day and proved to me that I do have a much better eye than my wife (who never sees anything wrong with video sources. Such a novice )He did it for all inputs, including the tricky XBox 360 component connection - and they look fabulous.

And on a side note, his business partner was at CES this year and said there were NO DLP models. So it looks like DLP is dying a rapid death. Too bad, because I'm loving my 72 now more than ever. Thanks again Eliab.
post #546 of 864 Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for that sangs! Did he have any comments on what he thought of the HL72A650? Or anything in general about the A650 or A750. Any cursing or muttering that it was a bear to calibrate?

We keep hearing the black levels are poor on the A650 so it's good to hear yours look great after a master's touch.

post #547 of 864 Old 01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

No, no muttering or swearing. He explained to me exactly what I was looking at and exactly what he was trying to achieve. Specifically worth noting - my gray scale was a mess and the yellow and cyan channels were "quirky." And he polished those up in no time. We did talk about how far Samsung has come from when it sold mostly crap. Btw, he happens to own three Samsungs, so do the math.

I'll tell you, from the days when he first calibrated my old Toshiba - you want to hear swearing and muttering about being a bear to calibrate, that set nearly sent him to the bottle - his procedure has changed dramatically. These new calibration tools he uses are phenomenal and a step up in every aspect. Totally worth it.

Oh, and you won't find a nicer guy. Just a pleasure to spend a few hours with while he's working.
post #548 of 864 Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

wnorris, thanks for explaining the new BB repair/replace policy on their extended warranties and your sound logic. I bought my HL56A650 there and debated long and hard whether I should buy their EW before gambling and not buying one. I'm in the 8th month of my one year Samsung warranty so soon will be in no-man's land. Really hoping the set lasts two years at least since like you I figure I'll be at the break even point around then considering the better and cheaper technology you could buy at that time. Most people say you're insane not getting an EW on DLP but with the lower and lower prices of new HDTVs the rules may have changed. Still a crap shoot though. No one said life is easy!

I'm really not a fan of extended warranties. Without it it's my call not someone else's. I can replace the A650 with a modern TV plus still have the broken TV. If feasible I can attempt to repair the Sammy myself for use as a secondary TV. One of the reasons I got the 56" was that size worked better for us plus gambling on $1000 was a lot easier than gambling $2000+ on an HL72A650 or HL67A750. We could have made the HL61A750 fit but it cost much more and was a bigger gamble.

Ok if I quote you in the FAQ? We have new people asking about EWs occasionally and your experience might help them. Of course all that may be moot for this thread as Samsung DLPs fade into the sunset.

It's fine to include anything you want in the FAQ, since it is posted here already.
post #549 of 864 Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, wnorris! I'll try to get that worded in sometime tomorrow.

post #550 of 864 Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 AM

WN....this is what I found at the BB website on the PSP...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1043363604345

No Lemon Policy
If your product requires 4 qualifying repairs, we will provide a replacement of comparable performance. Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product.

Nothing in the PSP description says the value of the TV will be pro-rated, though the lower priced newer model may seem that it is....
In my case the part for the Toshi was no longer available I guess so BB authorized the replacement without my even asking...BB gave me full value for my Toshi (which was virtually the same as the selling price as the Sami50A650, a comparable product...the only other comparable TV was an Insignia LCD...but they gave me the Sami without any thought...I guess because it was being closed out...
...in 4 years, when DLPs will likely be unavailable, I can only hope that I'll be as happy with whatever will be then...

Samsung HL50A650
post #551 of 864 Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WN....this is what I found at the BB website on the PSP...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1043363604345

No Lemon Policy
If your product requires 4 qualifying repairs, we will provide a replacement of comparable performance. Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product.

Nothing in the PSP description says the value of the TV will be pro-rated, though the lower priced newer model may seem that it is....
In my case the part for the Toshi was no longer available I guess so BB authorized the replacement without my even asking...BB gave me full value for my Toshi (which was virtually the same as the selling price as the Sami50A650, a comparable product...the only other comparable TV was an Insignia LCD...but they gave me the Sami without any thought...I guess because it was being closed out...
...in 4 years, when DLPs will likely be unavailable, I can only hope that I'll be as happy with whatever will be then...

Worms open....

The BB manager said that in the past, models that have no comparable replacement have been prorated sometimes, but that local managers could authorize other trades too. Now he said, the whole system has been automated and they can only give back what the computer says to give back. They have very little discretion now. I don't know when that system was put in place (it wasn't there two years ago).

I was told the first litmus of "comparable" is two TV's with the same technology, ie Plasma to Plasma, LCD to LCD and DLP to DLP.

So the first check of the system is to see if your same sku is still being sold. If it is, your replacement will be the same model you are replacing. If the same sku is not available, the system will look in a database and select a current sku that AIG (the insurance company backing the PSP's) has assigned as a comparable sku. This is entirely up to AIG's discretion. If no comparable model exists, at their discretion AIG can prorate the value of your TV, or the can make a jump to a different technology, ie DLP to an Insignia LCD. AIG decides what comparable means.

I know what the warranty says (mine says the same), and I quoted it to them, since they initially told me they were giving me a $1000 gift card because they didn't have a 50A650 in the store. They weren't even going to give me a TV. The next cheapest name brand TV that I thought was close to comparable would be a LN52A650 Samsung LCD (a $1700 set). Regardless, all they would give me was the $1000, even after the manager got involved.

I even had them call the corporate representative that I had spoke to about the replacement previously, and he said the same thing. The system had the sku for the 50A650 listed as the comparable model, and regardless of what stores in my area actually had in stock, or what I though comparable meant, I could only get the value of the 50A650 back, not neccesarily a TV even.

I really didn't feel the 50A650 was even comparable. The HLR5078 was a 1080p DLP, and was a 7 series set. That is what the 7 in 5078 stands for (thats why the regular HLR models are 506X's or 505X's). That was the same reason Best Buy originally gave me a HLR5078 when my HLN507 lemoned. It too was a "7 series" and was replaced with the in production "7 series" set at the time.

However, this time, Samsung wasn't making a 50" 7 series DLP. So the first litmus is DLP to DLP, and the only available 50" DLP sku was the 50A650. I argued that I should at least get a 61A750 (or a $1600 gift card) because the 650 didn't have PiP and other features. There were several reasons I didn't think it was comparable (no PiP, no TV out, which I use, fewer segments in the color wheel, etc.), but was told that was impossible because 50" to 61" wasn't comparable. I was also told that specific features did not matter, and that comparable models could have added or missing features as long as it was generally the same.

Then I tried to compromise and said a 61A650 was $1400 and a 61A750 was $1600, so the value of the features missing between the 6 and 7 series was $200, so give me a $1200 GC instead. But they wouldn't do that either.

Then I tried to compromise and said they could give me a smaller LCD set (a 46" set) that had the same features (1080p, PiP, etc.), so I could leave the store with a TV. They wouldn't do that either, unless I paid several hundred dollars difference. Basically what it amounted to was the manager would give me the $1000 gift card, let me pick out any LCD I wanted, knock $100 off its current price and then let me pay which was always several hundred dollars more out of pocket.

Finally, it boiled down to the store manager and the BB rep in Minnesota both telling me the same thing, I could either take the $1000 gift card (with the manager knocking $100 off another other replacement TV, out of his own desire to see the customer happy) or I could take my old broken set home, and BB would not repair it under warranty because the repair was too expensive. Fortunately, the manager was willing to call several other stores until he found one that had a 50A650 left, let me pay for it with the GC, and then do an in store pickup when it arrives. So I do get a TV with no money out of pocket.

I've filed a BBB complaint because I don't really think this was handled to the terms of the warranty, but at least I will be getting an actual TV out of it that should be close to what I had before. I loose some features, but gain an extra HDMI input (that I don't need since they all run through my receiver), accepts a 1080p/24 signal (even though it doesn't do a true 5:5 pulldown), and some other minor stuff.

It was a clear sign to me that in the future, BB doesn't plan on honoring what is printed in their PSP, and are just going to give you some amount of store credit that AIG feels appropriate for your insurance policy. It is totally out of your control on what you will get. Per the manager of the store I dealt with, on a $1000 DLP, after the 50A650 sku is no longer being sold in any stores (so probably another month or two), you would likely either get a $500-$600 Insignia 46" LCD (which look like crap), or a prorated amount of store credit (deduct about $22 per month for each month you use the set before the replacement occurs). This wasn't worth $200 to me.
post #552 of 864 Old 01-21-2009, 05:24 PM

Has anybody bought the HL56A650 from Vann's? If so please post or PM me your experience.
Thnx
post #553 of 864 Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 AM

WN....sorry to hear of your travails...what a crock (of worms AND stools)...the managers are clearly not living up to the PSP....with no mention of pro-rating in the PSP they are changing the rules of the game in the 4th quarter....

Samsung HL50A650
post #554 of 864 Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WN....sorry to hear of your travails...what a crock (of worms AND stools)...the managers are clearly not living up to the PSP....with no mention of pro-rating in the PSP they are changing the rules of the game in the 4th quarter....

Yep, they are clearly changing the rules so that they are out less money on each PSP they have to honor.

My mom bought a fridge a few years ago with a PSP. The thing broke. The PSP says they cover up to $200 in food spoilage per incident. Well, they didn't ask her or offer it to her, she had to tell them she wanted it (because it took a week for the repair guy to get there). Then they sent her a $200 Best Buy gift card. Does Best Buy sell groceries? Nope. She complained and wanted a check, but they wouldn't do anything about it. It was just another way for them to get by and be out less. Everything in the store is probably marked up 30%, so by giving a BB gift card they get all the money back and it really only costs them $140. They probably file with AIG and get the full $200 back from insurance, so they still make their $60 profit.
post #555 of 864 Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 PM

I am looking at buying a HL50A650, but can find any left locally, so I would have to buy from an online dealer.

How do you guys feel about buying a Samsung online, without any local retail support? If I found a "subjective problem with the PQ, for example, do you think Samsung would assist me?

I am in SoCal ,so there should be a few choices for authorized repair.

Thanks!!!
post #556 of 864 Old 01-24-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Most people who buy big screens from Amazon, Vanns and Crutchfields are very happy with the service. Of course you would get stuck with shipping if you had to send it back. Best Buy or Fry's don't have any in the stores? Or can get them delivered to your store? Man, if you can't stumble across one in the wild in SC, they really must be near extinct!

post #557 of 864 Old 01-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

Most people who buy big screens from Amazon, Vanns and Crutchfields are very happy with the service. Of course you would get stuck with shipping if you had to send it back. Best Buy or Fry's don't have any in the stores? Or can get them delivered to your store? Man, if you can't stumble across one in the wild in SC, they really must be near extinct!

Nope, nobody has em "in store" & almost no one left online for matter. (There are 2 Amazon Marketplace Merchants, $1009 + shipping) but not Amazon itself.
post #558 of 864 Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well that's sad to hear, motuman. Normally I'd say look at Mitsubishi DLPs since they're quite good but I know from your other thread you needed a 50". The only other route is plasma and LCD but to get the same resolution as the A650 it will cost more than we've been discussing. If you could live with 720p plasma or 60Hz LCD in that size maybe you could swing something or find an open box deal...

post #559 of 864 Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Have there been issues with the 50 inch model or is it safe to get it. I'm torn between the 50 inch and 56 inch. I have the old HLS5087 and I am worried that the 56 inch wont fit on the old stand. I lost the instructions to the stand and might be forced to get the 50 inch A650. Thanks for the help.
post #560 of 864 Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I've had no problems at all with the 56" version in the seven months I've had it so wouldn't worry about any A650. As far as the stand, do your measurements and see if you can move up. The HL56A650 is about 50" wide and the base is about 40".

post #561 of 864 Old 01-25-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodwoody View Post

Have there been issues with the 50 inch model or is it safe to get it. I'm torn between the 50 inch and 56 inch. I have the old HLS5087 and I am worried that the 56 inch wont fit on the old stand. I lost the instructions to the stand and might be forced to get the 50 inch A650. Thanks for the help.

I measured and the 56" will fit my 50" stand but keep in mind that you will have 2.3 inches on each side left over widthwise, depth is not a problem for me. I bought my stand(Top 55" X 24") at CC along with the same HL-S5087W. These are the HL56A650 measurements: 34.9"H X 13.4"D X 50.4"W.
Good luck!
post #562 of 864 Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM

Hi gang--based on my research and your recommendations, I just ordered the HL50a650 (from electronique plus, 967 delivered). I has been waiting for further price cuts, perhaps post-superbowl, but instead I noticed that more and more places were running out, so I pulled the trigger. This will be my first hi-def set. My question concerns cables. We have a hi-def DVR provided by our cable company, Verizon FIOS. Plus I'd like the option to run audio through my stereo (no plans for surround sound as of now). Anything special I need to look for in terms of cables, (types, brands, etc.?) I didn't see this addressed in the FAQs, so I'm asking here. Thanks!
post #563 of 864 Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't know anything about your DVR but assume it has component and hopefully HDMI output. Use the latter if available.

As far as sound, you probably will want to run your audio directly to the receiver using the highest interface that's compatible, maybe optical/coaxial digital. The HDMI to your TV should carry stereo audio for when you want to use its internal speakers. If your receiver is HDMI ready then maybe all sources should run through it first. Sorry, this has to be general since you didn't give specifics.

post #564 of 864 Old 01-28-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon View Post

Hi gang--based on my research and your recommendations, I just ordered the HL50a650 (from electronique plus, 967 delivered). I has been waiting for further price cuts, perhaps post-superbowl, but instead I noticed that more and more places were running out, so I pulled the trigger. This will be my first hi-def set. My question concerns cables. We have a hi-def DVR provided by our cable company, Verizon FIOS. Plus I'd like the option to run audio through my stereo (no plans for surround sound as of now). Anything special I need to look for in terms of cables, (types, brands, etc.?) I didn't see this addressed in the FAQs, so I'm asking here. Thanks!

Great for you....I have this model too and am very happy...as for cables...the best place I've found is here...
http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

avoid Monster cables....just monster profits for the store....

Samsung HL50A650
post #565 of 864 Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 PM

First off as a new member and reading all the info in this thread I'd like to thank all the guy's on here that continue to help out the newbies time and time again especially the patience with the same questions over and over again.
Cudos To You All!!!!

I have HL72a650 that is about a month old I really love the TV but am having the same green problems that "sangs" had, I am trying to get The great Micheal Chen here to do a calibration on his next tour but I live out of the way so it sounds iffy. It seems here in Western Canada no has really heard of calibrating.

Hey "sangs" any suggestions on what I can do?
can you post your regular user menu settings?
Any other suggestions would be great.....
Thanks again everyone great forum....
post #566 of 864 Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likenthe72 View Post

Hey "sangs" any suggestions on what I can do?
can you post your regular user menu settings?
Any other suggestions would be great.....
Thanks again everyone great forum....

Yeah, I suggest you get in touch with Eliab then if Michael can't make it.

Seriously, go through this thread (it's not that long) and tinker with the settings that a lot of these guys were kind enough to post. I tried them all, then tweaked until I could get the best possible picture.

Now, having said that, in all seriousness, get it calibrated from a reliable pro if you can. Because since Eliab calibrated mine, it's as if I have an entirely different set. That's not just hyperobole either. Even my wife noticed it and for her to notice ANYTHING A/V related...well, let's just say some of us consider it the seventh sign of the apocalypse. Totally worth it.
post #567 of 864 Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM

How about the blu-ray dvd from DVE or Avia. Or are these just kinda gimicky.... I talked to Sammy today and they said if I do a Pro Calibration that it voids the waranty how do you get around this?
post #568 of 864 Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I talked to Sammy today and they said if I do a Pro Calibration that it voids the waranty how do you get around this?

That's a load of $&!# (poo-poo)!!!
post #569 of 864 Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I talked to Sammy today and they said if I do a Pro Calibration that it voids the waranty how do you get around this?

You did not talk to Sammy... You talked with some idiot posing as a customer service rep. Pure BS.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #570 of 864 Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about the blu-ray dvd from DVE or Avia. Or are these just kinda gimicky.... I talked to Sammy today and they said if I do a Pro Calibration that it voids the waranty how do you get around this?

Ditto what the guys above said. That's just plain ridiculous.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page