2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Owners Thread/FAQ - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 866 Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
has anyone had any luck with just replacing the blown capicator on their power supplies yet? i bought a used hl4676 on craigslist with a matching stand for 200 bucks about 8 months ago that would shutoff after 20 minutes of use. found out it was loaded with dust and pet fur and dander. after cleaning the inside of it including the fans it has performed flawlessly so i kept my eye out for a larger set. found a listing for a hl56a650 that the seller stated that he was having the same shutdown issue. after he spent $250.00 for a new lamp and ballast he just wanted it gone. He wanted $100.00 so i thought i might drive down and check it out. Turned it on and noticed a shadow that ran across the top of the image that extended down 3 inches or so. talked to the seller for about a half hour and the set finally shut down. paid the money and took it home and opened up the back of the set to discover it was pretty darn clean inside. Put it all back together and installed it on the stand and other than the shadow it worked perfectly never shutting down for more than 2 weeks. then it happened after 2 weeks. watching the set for 2 hours one night it shut off and the lights just flashes. called samsung originally about the shadow and even though i didn`t have the receipt they said they would send a tech out for free and extend the warranty for 3 months. the tech is due today and i called the tech center to let them know that the original problem with the shadow had escalated to a shut down failure. Said they would be out with more parts and that the repair would be covered. I`m gonna keep an eye on what gets replaced and in what order in case this problem rears its ugly head in the future. I`ll relay any info later after the repairs are done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 866 Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM

I too wonder if I will be able to watch 3D movies such as Avatar when they are available. Will the Mitsbishi adaptor work on this and be fully compatible with upcoming 3D blurays? Anyone have a direct link to the items needed? (adaptor, glasses)
post #723 of 866 Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 AM

repair tech came and replaced the lamp and the shut down problem was with the power supply not putting out enough power. he had to replace the light tunnel due to the shadow. he stated that it was the first tunnel he had to replace on this series. the display is back up and its absolutely gorgeous.
post #724 of 866 Old 04-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some answers, hoping someone can shed some insight. I have the 67" and near the bottom, in the middle region, when I see a white background or bright colors, not dark, i can see this spot of 'yellow' thats about 1/2 inch that radiates to the middle of the screen in a fan shape. I can see this area even when the TV is turned off. I just had the screen replaced and it didnt fix it.

Samsung said that this is a 'byproduct' of the lens effect or something, not sure I understood, but is anyone else having or seeing this? The tech said it might be due to the light engine or optical tube, but wanted to see if anyone else sees this. I attached the picture of when the TV is off, you can clearly see the flash of the camera, but above the SAMSUNG logo, you can see the 'yellow' spot.
LL
post #725 of 866 Old 05-03-2010, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasf10 View Post

If anyone was wondering, the USB fan has been a huge success for me. Even with one of my older bulbs, I have experiences no shutoffs.

All you need is a usb cable and a computer fan. when you cut open the usb cable, it has red and black wires inside, connect those to the red and black wires of the fan and wrap up with electrical tape. There is a usb slot on the back of the tv. put the fan inside the tube that points at the bulb.

An 80mm fan will fit inside the tube. If you use a bigger fan, you will need to mount it externally blowing into the vent.

I have been using it for a few weeks now with a bulb that I was sure was finished.

Thanks for the great post here and earlier with the photo...may I suggest a screen on the outside of the fan to keep from sucking in any litter, or live critters
In summer, I had used a small desk fan blowing by the rear...with the AC running it can't be heard....but the usb fan would be even better...

Samsung HL50A650
post #726 of 866 Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't check this thread much anymore but it's sure worrisome to see a lot of power and bulb problems. My A650 is two years old this month and so far no problems and even on the original bulb. No EW and of course the Samsung 18 month warranty is long gone so fingers crossed here. It's hard to tell if most of them are reliable and we only hear about the problems - or are they all on borrowed time. We shall see...

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #727 of 866 Old 06-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Liked: 12
Looks like my power board went out last night. Luckily I bought a 3 year extended warranty. After 30 seconds it shuts off and constantly reboots. Frys is sending a repair guy out next week.

Yay first the Onkyo 606 now this!
post #728 of 866 Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 AM

False alarm, it was just a bulb. Now I can recover from the shakes by not getting my big screen fix for a week and a half.

I have a second new Samsung bulb on standby.
post #729 of 866 Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Will the 61A650 be able to do 3D? It is 3D Ready (I know through the comp)...But with the PS3 3D update... any answers would be appreciated.
post #730 of 866 Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanthunder View Post

Will the 61A650 be able to do 3D? It is 3D Ready (I know through the comp)...But with the PS3 3D update... any answers would be appreciated.

I contacted Samsung in regard to this and all they had to say was . . .

Dear Samsung Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

With reference to your e-mail, we understand that you want to purchase 3D kit for the TV.

You can purchase parts from J & J which is the dealer for parts for Samsung. Their Website is:

http://samsungparts.com.

If you have trouble finding the right part on the website please contact J and J parts at: 1-800-627-4368.

You will be all set once you reach that department.

If you unable to find the part then you can purchase the 3D kit from the link given below.

http://www.samsungaccessory.com/Portal.aspx

Copy and paste the above link in the Web Browser.

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

Samsung Online Support.

But since they have abandoned this series, I doubt it will do the newer 3D and there will be no Firmware updates and the fact that the 3D unit for this series is no longer available. Unless I am wrong, which I really hope I am.
post #731 of 866 Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanthunder View Post

Will the 61A650 be able to do 3D?

With DLP link glasses like the expand x102's it will work with anything that will put out the checkerboard pattern which is limited. There is a game Avatar that works on the XBOX 360 that has the checkerboard and other 3D built into the game it'self. It works, I was just playing it a while ago. There is also a Panasonic Blue-Ray player that outputs the checkerboard pattern but it's pricy.

For most other 3D (That includes the PS3 even after the updates that are coming) you either need a computer with a Nvidia video card capable of playing 3D or there should soon be a setup available that combines the Mitsubishi converter box with a Gefen HDMI device and programming to make it work with your TV. Tru3D is one company that is supposed to have them by the end of the month.

Now that I have a taste with Avatar I want more 3D.
post #732 of 866 Old 08-08-2010, 11:01 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone had the the HLxxA650s for over two years and are still on the first bulb? If so, how many hours has the TV been used for? I am wondering because I want to know if it might be time for myself to purchase a spare bulb just in case mine burns out. I have over 4900 hours on my Sammy right now but the picture still looks great to me.
post #733 of 866 Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarias2311 View Post

Has anyone had the the HLxxA650s for over two years and are still on the first bulb? If so, how many hours has the TV been used for? I am wondering because I want to know if it might be time for myself to purchase a spare bulb just in case mine burns out. I have over 4900 hours on my Sammy right now but the picture still looks great to me.

For me it will be 2 years Sept 16. And as I found out, I have put serious wear on this unit. The specs are rated with an average of 4 hours a day usage. I use mine at least 8-12 hours a day. The last time I checked the hours on the bulb was a week before we had a utilities transformer blow out last March and the electrical in the house, including all my UPSs and the like, acted strangely. No damage to anything and I had 5559 hours (I think the specs are 6000 hrs) a week prior to and when my set was turned on to see if there was any damage, everything was reset including the hour count. So it's 5999 plus 5-1/2 more months of time on the bulb. WHICH really surprises me, because Philips makes the worst retail bulbs on the planet. It looks like their DLP bulbs are great! Too bad their retail bulbs aren't or they would not have lost an exclusive vendorship with HomeDepot.

Anyway I got a 4 year extended warranty that means I still have three years left and with that a free bulb replacement. Which would have been two if the first bulb went within the first year. Although I have found OEM replacement bulbs for around $100, I really don't worry for the future and if any of the forthcoming bulbs are like this one, things will be great. Although I was suppose to have gotten the LED version, that mysteriously disappeared off the dock, thus the free 4 year extended warranty.
post #734 of 866 Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post

For me it will be 2 years Sept 16. And as I found out, I have put serious wear on this unit. The specs are rated with an average of 4 hours a day usage. I use mine at least 8-12 hours a day. The last time I checked the hours on the bulb was a week before we had a utilities transformer blow out last March and the electrical in the house, including all my UPSs and the like, acted strangely. No damage to anything and I had 5559 hours (I think the specs are 6000 hrs) a week prior to and when my set was turned on to see if there was any damage, everything was reset including the hour count. So it's 5999 plus 5-1/2 more months of time on the bulb. WHICH really surprises me, because Philips makes the worst retail bulbs on the planet. It looks like their DLP bulbs are great! Too bad their retail bulbs aren't or they would not have lost an exclusive vendorship with HomeDepot.

Anyway I got a 4 year extended warranty that means I still have three years left and with that a free bulb replacement. Which would have been two if the first bulb went within the first year. Although I have found OEM replacement bulbs for around $100, I really don't worry for the future and if any of the forthcoming bulbs are like this one, things will be great. Although I was suppose to have gotten the LED version, that mysteriously disappeared off the dock, thus the free 4 year extended warranty.

Has the TV gotten dim at all? Or is it still the same picture as when you bought it two years ago?! Reading this thread got me worried that my bulb might just go out any minute!
post #735 of 866 Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Has the TV gotten dim at all? Or is it still the same picture as when you bought it two years ago?! Reading this thread got me worried that my bulb might just go out any minute!

I'm expecting mine to go out an second. So when it does it will not be a surprise and I, from all accounts, have gotten much more than one should expect. As far as the picture, it seems to have mellowed and gotten richer. I am finding the longer this plays out, the better I am liking the picture. There will probably come a time where it is obvious that there "is a problem". I have read that as time goes on you will have to make adjustments. I have, but not all that dramatic. Just minor tweaks that, as I have said, is making the picture richer. But with undoubtedly over 6000 hrs on the bulb, I am quite happy all the way around.
post #736 of 866 Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post

Your unit doesn't have a bulb. It's an LED unit good for 20 years.
post #737 of 866 Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM

Your unit is an LED tv and does not have a bulb. The LED should last 20 years
post #738 of 866 Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plans4you View Post

Your unit doesn't have a bulb. It's an LED unit good for 20 years.

Sorry, but where do you get that? Mine has a bulb. The sticker on the side of it has a replacement lamp code and I can see it and feel the heat from it. Also it shows Bulb life in the service menus. I was suppose to get an LED, but someone stole off the dock before I could pick it up. So they gave me this lamp model with a 4 year extended warranty.

Oh and the LEDs are rated for 11 years. I did serious research on those models prior to buying.
post #739 of 866 Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

yes I am still on my first bulb and its been over 2 years. my dlp is on allmost 10 hours a day. I have fans on to keep the lamp cool. power backup.
post #740 of 866 Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 AM

Would it be wise of me to order a bulb right now just in case something happens? Or should I wait until my first signs of dimming? Also Farmer or anyone else, could you point me in the right direction as to where to purchase the bulb? I saw earlier in the thread that the bulb was being found online anywhere from $100-130. What sites are they located at?

Talljerry- how many hours has your bulb been on for? over 5000 hours?
post #741 of 866 Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Would it be wise of me to order a bulb right now just in case something happens? Or should I wait until my first signs of dimming? Also Farmer or anyone else, could you point me in the right direction as to where to purchase the bulb? I saw earlier in the thread that the bulb was being found online anywhere from $100-130. What sites are they located at?

Talljerry- how many hours has your bulb been on for? over 5000 hours?

over 10,000 the lamp can last up to 30.000 hours so it may be years before you need a lamp. no dimming so far.
post #742 of 866 Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talljerry View Post

over 10,000 the lamp can last up to 30.000 hours so it may be years before you need a lamp. no dimming so far.

Where did u read that the lamp can last up to 30000 hours?! Thats pretty darn impressive that your bulb has been on 10k plus hours! Ever get scared it will start dimming soon?!
post #743 of 866 Old 08-20-2010, 01:47 AM

over 8000 hours,
i had to replace the powerboard as well as THAT capaciter, so i replaced the bulb as well. didnt notice any difference, so i out the old bulb back, looked the same. so i put the new one back in since i had it, and have a used spare that looks just as good as new.
post #744 of 866 Old 09-29-2010, 03:07 PM

I am new to these forums, but I have a question. My aunt has a Samsung HL61A650 DLP in her house and it currently doesn't work. The TV turns on but no picture on the screen. I assume it is the lamp but I am not sure. The TV is about 2 years old and has never had the lamp changed. Is there any way I can troubleshoot it to know if it is the lamp or not?
post #745 of 866 Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Sigh...Its been 7 months since Samsung came out to replace the bulb (2nd time), ballast and power supply on my 50A650. Everything has been peachy except for a couple buzzing noises...until tonight. I got the 3 LEDs again and it just cycles through trying to fire up. I've absolutely had it with this TV. This marks the 3rd problem with it in less than a year. I am out of warranty but Samsung came out and fixed everything for me the last time. I'm calling them tomorrow and hoping to use my influence to get a new TV. I'm a very loyal Samsung owner and if I have to keep dealing with this, I'm done with them.
post #746 of 866 Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Well I spoke to Samsung today. The first rep I talked to reviewed my service history, put me on hold and said since I've had so many issues, they are replacing my TV. I was estatic to say the least. The rep told me to hold on and someone would be coming on the line to schedule my replacement. The next rep gets on and asks what I'm calling for. I tell her I was transferred to sched. my replacement TV and she says there is no notes for that in the system. My jaw dropped and had to keep telling her that's what I've been told. Finally after her telling me they won't do anything except schedule a service appt. I said, aren't these calls monitored for quality assurance? She said yes and I told her to check the tape from my first rep. I'm waiting for a call back from ECR because they forwarded my case to Management.
post #747 of 866 Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Final update....I talked to Samsung and they decided to issue me an Out of Warranty Replacement. Essentially they are giving me a prorated value of my DLP and making me pay the difference towards a new set. According to the Rep at Samsung, the HL50A650 has depreciated 40% in 2 years, so its essentially valued at $595. They first offered to replace it with a LN55C630 for the low low price of $900 out of my pocket. Unfortunately $900 is a bit much for me right now so I told them I wouldn't have a problem going down to a 46". Long story short, they are giving me the LN46C650 for $300. Not a bad deal at all. Its going to take about a week to get it. Good Riddance DLP! I'm so glad to be done with this horrible technology.
post #748 of 866 Old 11-27-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerlent View Post

Final update....I talked to Samsung and they decided to issue me an Out of Warranty Replacement. Essentially they are giving me a prorated value of my DLP and making me pay the difference towards a new set. According to the Rep at Samsung, the HL50A650 has depreciated 40% in 2 years, so its essentially valued at $595. They first offered to replace it with a LN55C630 for the low low price of $900 out of my pocket. Unfortunately $900 is a bit much for me right now so I told them I wouldn't have a problem going down to a 46". Long story short, they are giving me the LN46C650 for $300. Not a bad deal at all. Its going to take about a week to get it. Good Riddance DLP! I'm so glad to be done with this horrible technology.

I have a HL50A650 and I had the tv on 10 to 12 hours a day for the last 2 and 1/2 years with out any problems. I watch blu-ray 3-d on it all the time.

I ordered a SERVICE MANUAL SM-HL50A650C1F for my tv and samsungparts.com has most of the parts for my tv.
post #749 of 866 Old 12-13-2010, 02:49 PM

my HL50A650 lamp life is at 8979Hr
post #750 of 866 Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by talljerry View Post

my HL50A650 lamp life is at 8979Hr

Holy cow!!! How do you check the lamp hours again?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page