2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Owners Thread/FAQ - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 900 Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post
Thread starter here, posting a long overdue update...

Nice to see occasional new posts and I hope this old thread has been helpful! It certainly has been helpful to me over the years.

My A650 was purchased in May 2008 and currently is still our main HDTV. It has approximately 20,000 hours with no repairs yet, and is still on the original lamp. The picture is a bit darker now but still very pleasing since we can keep the lights low in our media room in the basement.

I keep thinking it's time to sell it for a couple hundred now before it develops a real problem but keep putting that off. I doubt it will last much longer but I've more than gotten my money's worth out of it and who knows, there's a chance it might last a couple more years. I have no major complaints with the picture so it seem wise to use it until it breaks then buy something new. I don't know if I'd gamble on a new lamp or just call it quits even if the lamp goes.

Anyway, I hope there's a lot of life left in these old DLPs for everybody here but sadly, when they start going bad be careful not to allow them to become a money pit!

Good luck, all!
You are supposed to change the lamp, and when you do, it'll be like having a new TV.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 12-30-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 900 Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lightbulb 2008 61" hl61a650

I have had this TV since it was new, when I purchased it in 2008. Since then I have had to replace the bulb and ballast, at the same time. This replacement was about 2 years ago, and I have had no problems until recently. I am getting frozen pixels that are constantly white, so far I am up to ten pixels, all located in the lower right corner of the display. Weird thing is that new pixels only become frozen while viewing an HDMI source, and never anything from the coaxial input after about a week, but put on the Xbox or Blu-Ray player and new pixels show up within the hour.

From what I have read it looks like it might be time to replace the DLP chip in the TV. Has anyone had any experience with this, and is it user replaceable?

I have a good understanding of electronics and experience wit replacing components (voltage regulators, resistors, diodes, caps, etc.) on PCB's, if that makes any difference.

You guys are awesome for putting together this thread, I have been a subscriber to it for a few years now.

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by Ctullu; 12-30-2014 at 02:27 PM.
post #873 of 900 Old 01-01-2015, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
You are supposed to change the lamp, and when you do, it'll be like having a new TV.

True, but I just made the decision to buy a new TV instead!

It appears Samsung and LG have joined Panasonic and Pioneer, ending their plasma production so it's now or never to buy a new plasma panel while they're available. LCD just doesn't do it for me so I jumped on a Samsung PN64H5000 which should be delivered January 8th.

The A650 will slide into a secondary role and probably get passed on in the extended family. No doubt if it stays in the family it will get a new lamp. Right now in a controlled light environment (basement media room) it's still bright enough. I am amazed how little trouble this Samsung has been and hope the new Samsung plasma has a similar long, trouble-free life. I am looking forward to the larger 64" screen and deep black levels!

Ironic having both DLP and PDP, the perfect way to dodge the mainstream move toward large screen LCD!

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #874 of 900 Old 01-03-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post
True, but I just made the decision to buy a new TV instead!

It appears Samsung and LG have joined Panasonic and Pioneer, ending their plasma production so it's now or never to buy a new plasma panel while they're available. LCD just doesn't do it for me so I jumped on a Samsung PN64H5000 which should be delivered January 8th.

The A650 will slide into a secondary role and probably get passed on in the extended family. No doubt if it stays in the family it will get a new lamp. Right now in a controlled light environment (basement media room) it's still bright enough. I am amazed how little trouble this Samsung has been and hope the new Samsung plasma has a similar long, trouble-free life. I am looking forward to the larger 64" screen and deep black levels!

Ironic having both DLP and PDP, the perfect way to dodge the mainstream move toward large screen LCD!

Personally, I am holding out for OLED to come down in price and for more flat screen models to be available! Not a huge fan of the curved screens.
post #875 of 900 Old 01-14-2015, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I also expect my next big TV will be OLED.

Good luck with your A650 repair!

post #876 of 900 Old 01-19-2015, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Anyone have their dlp make a popping noise/fizzle , slight burning smell, yet the TV is still working? Happened last night on my hl72a650 after I turned the TV off, before the fan turned itself off. I fully expected it wouldn't turn back on, yet so far it's working fine. Pulled the lamp and it seems okay. Obviously something is going to fail soon. Should I continue to run it until it dies? Anyone have a link that shows how to replace the main power supply or ballast? If it's either of those, I'll attempt a repair. Bad color wheel will mean time for a new tv.
post #877 of 900 Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont24 View Post
Anyone have their dlp make a popping noise/fizzle , slight burning smell, yet the TV is still working? Happened last night on my hl72a650 after I turned the TV off, before the fan turned itself off. I fully expected it wouldn't turn back on, yet so far it's working fine. Pulled the lamp and it seems okay. Obviously something is going to fail soon. Should I continue to run it until it dies? Anyone have a link that shows how to replace the main power supply or ballast? If it's either of those, I'll attempt a repair. Bad color wheel will mean time for a new tv.

I have never had this issue, but it could be your bulb or ballast going bad. I would try cleaning it out also.

When is the last time you replaced the bulb? Does it only make the sound after you turn the TV off?
post #878 of 900 Old 01-21-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the multi-post,

I replaced my ballast not too long ago. It a simple and strait forward job, just some screws and a few wires if I recall correctly. You might need to take the whole back panel off too. Since then the only issue I have had is my DLP chip going bad, which I have yet to replace.
post #879 of 900 Old 01-22-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctullu View Post
I have never had this issue, but it could be your bulb or ballast going bad. I would try cleaning it out also.

When is the last time you replaced the bulb? Does it only make the sound after you turn the TV off?
Happened again today. Loud pop, slight smell. TV power cycles, then turns back on fine. Will pull the back cover off and check the power supply and ballast. I suspect one of them is on their way to die.

Last edited by dont24; 01-22-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #880 of 900 Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Definitely sounds like electrical arcing, hopefully a good cleaning inside will help, at least to find the the problem. Good luck!

post #881 of 900 Old 01-23-2015, 05:25 PM

If the issue is with the ballast, how do I change it? Do I have to pull out the entire light engine assembly?
post #882 of 900 Old 01-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
post #883 of 900 Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
If the issue is with the ballast, how do I change it? Do I have to pull out the entire light engine assembly?
I'd like to know this as well. I am deciding if its time to put this guy down already. DMD board, Bulbs, all kinds of other parts. I just keeps quitting on me. Now I have 2 blinking lights (Standby and Bulb) and it wont come on. The bulb is not lighting up and I have a spare.
post #884 of 900 Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't overthink it. Most of the time, it's the lamp. Where did you purchase your lamp?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #885 of 900 Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^See my post above (though, if you bought a knockoff lamp, it may have fried your ballast already).

Last edited by Augerhandle; 02-19-2015 at 10:21 AM.
post #886 of 900 Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post
I'd like to know this as well. I am deciding if its time to put this guy down already. DMD board, Bulbs, all kinds of other parts. I just keeps quitting on me. Now I have 2 blinking lights (Standby and Bulb) and it wont come on. The bulb is not lighting up and I have a spare.
The blinking lights are an error code. Count the red blinks, then the yellow. For instance 3 red and 4 yellow is Error 34.

post #887 of 900 Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The blinking lights are an error code. Count the red blinks, then the yellow. For instance 3 red and 4 yellow is Error 34.
They are green and red and do not stop blinking.
post #888 of 900 Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
My issue was the ballast. Blown capacitor. Really wasn't hard to replace. Once you have the back panel off, it's removing 2 screws and 2 wires, then the light engine assembly slides out. Cost me about ~$85 for the new ballast. I now notice my color wheel is getting louder and seeing the pastel effect once in a while. Ballast, lamp, power supply I'll replace if needed. Once I start having issues with the color wheel or light engine, it's time to get rid of it.
post #889 of 900 Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My issue was the ballast. Blown capacitor. Really wasn't hard to replace. Once you have the back panel off, it's removing 2 screws and 2 wires, then the light engine assembly slides out. Cost me about ~$85 for the new ballast. I now notice my color wheel is getting louder and seeing the pastel effect once in a while. Ballast, lamp, power supply I'll replace if needed. Once I start having issues with the color wheel or light engine, it's time to get rid of it.
Im almost there now, I never did the color wheel so its a matter of time. I figure this is either the ballast or power supply but I could get a $800 60" at this point that could not only hold me over but be an improvement. I just dont want to let it go man
post #890 of 900 Old 02-20-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Im almost there now, I never did the color wheel so its a matter of time. I figure this is either the ballast or power supply but I could get a $800 60" at this point that could not only hold me over but be an improvement. I just dont want to let it go man
The issue will be trying to find the color wheel. I haven't found one anywhere.
post #891 of 900 Old 02-20-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They are green and red and do not stop blinking.
Quote:
Don't overthink it. Most of the time, it's the lamp. Where did you purchase your lamp?
Have you replaced the lamp yet?

Quote:
I turn on the set, it tries to turn on the lamp, but gives up after several attempts and several seconds. Finally it ends up with three blinking lights

I think the most common cause of this problem is a faulty lamp. If you have replaced the lamp, or otherwise have reason to believe that it is not the lamp, it may be the ballast
http://www.jangro.com/samsung-dlp-frequent-questions/

post #892 of 900 Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctullu View Post
I have had this TV since it was new, when I purchased it in 2008. Since then I have had to replace the bulb and ballast, at the same time. This replacement was about 2 years ago, and I have had no problems until recently. I am getting frozen pixels that are constantly white, so far I am up to ten pixels, all located in the lower right corner of the display. Weird thing is that new pixels only become frozen while viewing an HDMI source, and never anything from the coaxial input after about a week, but put on the Xbox or Blu-Ray player and new pixels show up within the hour.

From what I have read it looks like it might be time to replace the DLP chip in the TV. Has anyone had any experience with this, and is it user replaceable?

I have a good understanding of electronics and experience wit replacing components (voltage regulators, resistors, diodes, caps, etc.) on PCB's, if that makes any difference.

You guys are awesome for putting together this thread, I have been a subscriber to it for a few years now.

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!
I am having exactly the same problem. Does anyone know if the chip is replaceable and if so where one might purchase same?
post #893 of 900 Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchcat View Post
I am having exactly the same problem. Does anyone know if the chip is replaceable and if so where one might purchase same?
Yes it is. It appears that the chips in our sets may bee dying about the same time. I got my DLP Chip from here.

I used this guide to replace it on my 72" and although the engine was slightly different it was pretty much the same concept.

Good luck guys.
post #894 of 900 Old 03-11-2015, 03:41 AM

That didn't last long. Now my HL72A650 won't power on. No red light on the front of the unit. Probably a power supply board? I think it's finally time to give it up. Maybe I'll part out what I can and have the town come pick up the chassis.
post #895 of 900 Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 AM

Liked: 11
I'm looking at buying a used A650 series for my rec room and have one question about it. I've searched but haven't found the answer to this specific concern. On 2009 Mitsubishi DLPs and older there is no way to disable DLP Link when in 3D mode. This causes the picture to be washed out when using IR glasses. I had bought the 3D adapter kit and 4 extra pairs of IR glasses before realizing the problem. I replaced them with DLP Link glasses and put the 6 IR glasses in a drawer. I know this adapter, emitter, and glasses are compatible with the A650 series. What I can't determine is if I am going to have the same problem. Can DLP LINK be disabled on the A650 when using IR glasses? I pulled the manual and it references mode1 and mode2 for 3D but it sounds like that just flips the right and left eyes.
post #896 of 900 Old 04-15-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistar Muffin View Post
I'm looking at buying a used A650 series for my rec room and have one question about it. I've searched but haven't found the answer to this specific concern. On 2009 Mitsubishi DLPs and older there is no way to disable DLP Link when in 3D mode. This causes the picture to be washed out when using IR glasses. I had bought the 3D adapter kit and 4 extra pairs of IR glasses before realizing the problem. I replaced them with DLP Link glasses and put the 6 IR glasses in a drawer. I know this adapter, emitter, and glasses are compatible with the A650 series. What I can't determine is if I am going to have the same problem. Can DLP LINK be disabled on the A650 when using IR glasses? I pulled the manual and it references mode1 and mode2 for 3D but it sounds like that just flips the right and left eyes.
It's the same, only with Samsung, owner's report a reddish hue rather than the bluish on the Mits sets.

post #897 of 900 Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
It's the same, only with Samsung, owner's report a reddish hue rather than the bluish on the Mits sets.
Thanks for the quick answer. I guess it's time to sell these IR glasses and stick with DLP Link glasses. Sigh.
post #898 of 900 Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 AM

It appears that my dmd chip is starting to go on my tv. I have two whote dots. I love my tv but if I replace the chip I have to replace the lamp eventually and I have replaced it a couple of times already. Any suggestions on what I should do? Get a new tv or replace the chip.
post #899 of 900 Old 05-17-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Three weeks ago mine finally gave up the ghost and I went with a 4K TV from LG. It looks so much better than I was ever able to get the Sammy to look. And that included pro calibration on the Sammy. My advice? Let it go off into the great beyond.
post #900 of 900 Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well our new Samsung PN64H5000 plasma has been amazing over the last six months. So the HL56A650 has slid into a backup role. Since no one wants a DLP I'm not tempted to sell it. It'll probably get passed on in the extended family. If not, at least I know how good it is. What a wonderful TV to have waiting as a spare!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units