2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Owners Thread/FAQ - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #901 of 904 Old 08-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Won't turn off

I'm having the strangest problem. My TV won't turn off, and also won't display anything. I replaced the bulb about a month ago, and everything has been fine. But today, I turn the TV on and it won't display anything. Just a black screen. And the front green light is blinking. And I go to turn it off, and nothing. Power button does nothing. Fine, I'll unplug it. It turns off (obviously), but as soon as I plug it in, it turns itself back on and still won't turn off. I left it off all day today, but as soon as I plug it in, back on and black screen.

Any idea what could cause this? Being a problem with the bulb seems unlikely, because I can't see how that would stop me from turning the thing off.
Sponsored Links
post #902 of 904 Old 09-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I got a few of the white dots of death after having the 61" 650 since it was new. I found a 65" LG 4k (65uf7700) new for $1k and just jumped. Now I have to figure out what to do with the sammy... I might fix the chip and replace the bulb and sell it, or just sell it as is for cheap. decisions!
post #903 of 904 Old 10-11-2015, 03:40 AM
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My 2008 HL50A650 DLP as of just now, after 7 years and still running the original bulb, after my DISH box decided to do its nightly reboot an hour and half after it should have, when I was not home and watching it and it should have done it then, when everything came back up the box was and has been a tad wonky but my DLP now cycles on and off on its own. No clear indication as to what the problem is by the LEDs flashing in any particular order. They operate as they should when the unit is turn off and right back on. When it goes off and is coming back up I hear whining noise from the back. But when it comes back up, it is as if nothing ever happened. The bulb, although is 7 years old and has well over 10,000 hours on it, is working just fine. The only way to stop the cycling is to unplug the TV. But when plugged back in it starts cycling all over again. Prior to the DISH box rebooting the TV was up and running just fine.

I did a search here and on the Internet and can't narrow this one down. I swear I have seen it discussed here or some where and just can't find it.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Update 10/28/15:

I got a hold of Samsung. They were worthless. They gave me a phone number for their repair service here in Denver. I called and got Chris, he was great. He asked me a couple simple questions and said "Oh it's just the bulb". I said are you sure, the lamp lights and all were operating as they should under normal operation. He said he was. He gave me the URL for ShopJimmy.com that when all said and done with a new full build Phillips bulb replace cartridge it was $118, including a 2 year warranty. Not really worried since it's got the Phillips bulb and my last one lasted for 8 years and 15,523 hours. The on/off cycling was an indicator that the bulb needed replaced even though it still worked. Thank the gods, I was fearing the worst, the Capacitor issue. Got the new bulb in and it was daylight, nearly burned my eyes out. Watched all night after dialing the thing back big time. Plus I had always had the Gamma at -3.

Then today before I fired it up for the night I did a Lamp Timer reset. That's when I saw the 15,523 hrs on it. Once I came out and fired up it for the night and to catch on some killer movies I have been saving, I noticed the picture was too dark and high contrast. When I switched to the TV feed everything brightened back up. Switched to the HDMI input and I could see the OSD in the upper left corner with the input and resolution dim down to match the bad picture that I am now getting. Switch back to TV and it brightens right up. The OSD for settings and whatnot are bright a vibrant. But anything coming in on an HDMI input goes dark, high contrast and heavy color saturation. This is only with HDMI feeds. I had to have done something while in the service menu. But since I have been in there many times and know my way around, I don't remember messing anything up. So I went back in and did a Factory Reset, no change. I have been able to get the "Movie" setting, that is usually darker and washed out with a touch of sepia, looking halfway decent, but had to jack up setting that last night I really had crank down. The other picture settings are really dark and whacked out with HDMI only.

So my question is there a service guide or User created document that specifies what the setting values should be in the Service Menu? So I can verify if I did indeed change something. I did go in and toggle some settings but no luck.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by FarmerBob; 10-28-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Update: 10/28/15
post #904 of 904 Old 11-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, my HL50A650c lost a bulb about 3 years ago and since I replaced it it has been going pretty strong. Just moved into a new house and set it up next to our new JS8500 and to my surprise, the picture is just as good on OTA sports content as the new JS8500. Watching the digital versions of Return of the Jedi the JS8500 looked more crisp and colorful, but the blacks I thought we're better on the 650c. It is still a great TV for being 7 years old.
Sponsored Links
Reply Rear Projection Units