Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 861 Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

Well the built-ins just aren't that great. I've played with the settings too, trying to get the clearest dialog but never have been happy with it. Really this is a problem with most TV speakers, they just don't put much toward sound since so many people have home theater systems. And that was my solution too, I'm much happier with real sound and use the TV speakers only for the news or casual listening. When I was playing with the TV sound I turn off all enhancements and ran through the audio modes, it seems music worked best for me.

BTW, welcome!

Thank you for the welcome and reply!

So far, I'm very satisfied with the TV. I haven't noticed any of the geometric anomalies that some are getting with this set. The only thing that gets me down is the sound... I have a 5.1 home theater system that I use for games and movies, though, I was hoping to get away without having to use it for casual TV. Music has also been what I've been using.

Another concern I have is about the Video settings. Will setting the brightness or contrast too high lessen the life of the set or lamp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 861 Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's a good question and I haven't seen a definitive answer to it. I assume having picture settings turned way up requires the bulb to be turned brighter as well. No doubt that would cause it to burn out sooner than average. Hopefully it doesn't take anywhere near 50% off the life of the lamp, but that would depend on how high the settings are.

Of course if you're in a bright room there may not be any choice.

If anyone's seen hard data on picture brightness, etc. vs. lamp life we'd love to see a link!

Edit:
I thought I'd google it and found more. 50% isn't a bad guess after all... it looks like controlling power on/off cycles is important as well.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/advi...Brightness.php
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=802179

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #93 of 861 Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:

That's a good question and I haven't seen a definitive answer to it. I assume having picture settings turned way up requires the bulb to be turned brighter as well. No doubt that would cause it to burn out sooner than average. Hopefully it doesn't take anywhere near 50% off the life of the lamp, but that would depend on how high the settings are.

Of course if you're in a bright room there may not be any choice.

If anyone's seen hard data on picture brightness, etc. vs. lamp life we'd love to see a link!

Edit:
I thought I'd google it and found more. 50% isn't a bad guess after all... it looks like controlling power on/off cycles is important as well.

Thank you again for the quick reply.

Doing my own research, I've come across many different answers regarding the brightness and contrast's effect on the lamp life. Many sources say that the b/c settings aren't actually controlled by the lamp itself, but the mirror, and has no effect on bulb life.

My current Contrast is set to 95, with Brightness at 45... Should I be concerned?
post #94 of 861 Old 07-07-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Mortis View Post

Thank you again for the quick reply.

Doing my own research, I've come across many different answers regarding the brightness and contrast's effect on the lamp life. Many sources say that the b/c settings aren't actually controlled by the lamp itself, but the mirror, and has no effect on bulb life.

My current Contrast is set to 95, with Brightness at 45... Should I be concerned?

It's actually controlled by the DLP chip. But the end result is the same the brightness and contrast settings have no effect on the bulb life. Some DLP sets have a high and low setting for the bulb. If you use the low setting you get more bulb life. I do not believe Samsung uses this.
post #95 of 861 Old 07-08-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

PaulGo, so the picture modes like Movie don't dim the lamp at all? Instead the DLP turns more of its mirrors away to reduce brightness? I have to admit that when I've adjusted brightness while looking through the vent holes the lamp doesn't appear to dim at all so that would explain that. That first link I found was just for front projectors with a bright/low switch for the bulb.

@Spartan, I don't think your settings are too high at all. Pretty close to mine and many others who have shared their settings. My brightness is 42, contrast 94 and color 46.

post #96 of 861 Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM

Thank you for your replies!

I'm pretty happy with this set so far. As I said previously, I haven't noticed any real geometry problems... Are they generally pretty obvious?

Anyways, Thanks again!
post #97 of 861 Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Mortis View Post

... I haven't noticed any real geometry problems... Are they generally pretty obvious? ...

They are, especially when you get horizontal bars on the screen like menus or black bars for wide movies like 2.35:1. Most sets have minor problems in this area but it's usually not that noticeable. If it's bad enough to bother you then maybe it's out of spec. My set has a very slight bow most noticeable about 1/4 way down from the top. The demo in the store looked about the same so I figured the odds of getting a better one aren't worth it and I could do much worse with an exchange. I'm very satisfied with my set and rarely notice it. It's nothing like the infamous Samsung Smile of last year's models. For the price I paid and the overall PQ I have I'm not going to quibble over something I have to think about to notice.

post #98 of 861 Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 AM

Got an HL72A650. Thought I'd share my thoughts with all of you:

1) WOW! The PQ is amazing. I didn't know if there would be any change in PQ as the TV got to this size vs the 50A650 I already have.

2) The cabinet on the 72 is definitely sturdier than the 50A650. You can still bend it a bit, but not as easily as the 50.

3) I got one with nearly perfect geometry.

4) I haven't had it long yet, but I have not run into any issues with it. I have all sources connected to a Denon 3808 and then to the TV over HDMI. I will see if there is a difference in the upscaler of the TV vs the receiver and try to post it back here if I get a chance.

5) Great Price for a Great TV! If you live in NJ, you can go to Electronics Expo and ask them to match their website price (currently $2019.88), they guy also matched the lowest price I could find on the mack warranty combo, and their low website price on a Harmony 880. They will have to bring the TV from their warehouse. I ordered mine on Sunday, it was in store on Wednesday. The price had dropped $90, and they price adjusted for me.

6) Viewing angle is really good. I have this in a basement, and off to the side of the viewing area is a workout area. I can see the image beautifully from my treadmill, so vertical and horizontal viewing angles are good.

I highly recommend this TV if you want BIG. Sitting 8-10' away seems to be optimal, at least to me. This thing is huge (but I still wish they had an 80!). I looked at the Mitsubishis vs the Sammy, and I didn't see a significant difference in PQ, plus you can't beat the price.
post #99 of 861 Old 07-13-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, nice HDTV, NDRugby! And a great price. Thanks for cluing us in about it. Hope it works well for you. We'd love more feedback as you get it tweaked in. Thanks for what you've already shared, no one else has reported one before in the Series 6 thread.

post #100 of 861 Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM

hey guys i'm new to the forum. i just purchased a hl50a650 it's my first dlp. for the last few days ive been messing around with the picture settings. i have my dvd player and 360 looking great(thanks Quentin2 i worked of your settings from your 56a650.helped out alot.) i just cant seem to get my hd cable right. if anyone has any sugestions or settings i could work from it would be much appreciated.
post #101 of 861 Old 07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Because the PQ of the cable signal can vary by channel and programming, the best you can do is compromise. Pick you favorite channel and/or programming, start with your dvd parameters and tweak from there.

There was (is??) a cable station that broadcasted a pattern(s) that could be used to calibrate contrast, brightness, color, and sharpness. Check with your cable provider or google to determine if it is available from your provider. However, using this pattern(s) will only provide a calibration for the channel that is broadcasting. There is no way to tell how others will look. Also, there is the problem that the patterns might be of "reference" quality but the broadcaster can broadcast them in a non-reference manner. So, with or without the broadcast patterns, you are back to compromising.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #102 of 861 Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 PM

Like Don said, it all depends on which channel your watching and even the cable provider. A lot of cable companies compress their HD signal so you will lose quite a bit of the clarity your expecting. How do you have your cable box hooked up to the TV? That might help a little bit also. I have the same set and love it.

YES HD & this TV are perfect together. I've been watching a ton more Yankee games than I usually did just because it looks so good.
post #103 of 861 Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 AM

thanks for the info guys. im using a monster hdmi from the cable box to the tv. i have a feeling its what jerlent is saying about the signal and losing the clarity. thats exactly what its doing. if im on one ch. it could look great and on others its horriable.
post #104 of 861 Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM

I have a HL61A650 that I bought on 7/5 and was thinking about posting the fact that I am really satisfied with the TV, until last night.
The TV shut down completely twice in the span of 30 minutes. Even the red standby by light on the right side of the screen was out. Both times the TV powered up without me doing anything after about 5 minutes. It also happened this morning.
I searched through this thread and didn't see anything about this problem, but I recall reading something about it in another Samsung DLP thread.
Has anyone read about this?
Please post a link if you know where I can find some info. I guess I'll be calling Samsung.
Thanks
post #105 of 861 Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Wow, nice HDTV, NDRugby! And a great price. Thanks for cluing us in about it. Hope it works well for you. We'd love more feedback as you get it tweaked in. Thanks for what you've already shared, no one else has reported one before in the Series 6 thread.

Thanks. Haven't had a chance to play with the settings yet. Here are some pics without the TV on. Got done about 4 am. The whole set up is new, Speakers (Axiom), Receiver (Denon 3808), under carpet wiring with flat speaker wire, outdoor zone (not pictured), BDI Novia 8429, and of course the HL72A650. Lots of smudges from my sweaty hands. I'll be cleaning it up and will post pictures of it on after some callibration.

post #106 of 861 Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 PM

NDRugby,

Nice set up! Where did you get the TV stand/cabinet?

Thanks,
Mike
post #107 of 861 Old 07-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_in_FL View Post

NDRugby,

Nice set up! Where did you get the TV stand/cabinet?

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks. Got it at Dynamic Home Decor. Guy that runs the place is really nice. Not a bad price, plus they have a 5% off coupon now with free white glove. Keep in mind that white glove will take longer to get, so I opted for curbside and he gave me an extra 75% off. http://www.dynamichomedecor.com/BDI-Novia-8429.html
post #108 of 861 Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I like your TV stand too, NDRugby. Nice that the color matches your front speakers so well. Your whole setup is great, that couch and the way you decorated the room around it is amazing! They need to have your pictures pasted up all over Notre Dame's locker rooms to fire up the football team this year. Maybe you're good luck for them and will watch some major wins on your new big screen.

Thanks for the good ideas...

post #109 of 861 Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 PM

So, Just out of curiosity... What are you guys using to remove dust from the screen? I've been looking at Microfiber as a solution.

Anybody have any suggestions on the best brands of cloth, or techniques?
post #110 of 861 Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 AM

Hi guys, I need your advice.

To make a long story short, I bought an hlt5676s dlp. I've been fighting with Samsung to fix a scratched screen for 5.5 months now. They finally offered to exchange it because every screen they sent to the service center was scratched. Anyway, they've offered to replace it with a HL61A650.

I tried to find reviews, and I skimmed through the forums, but didn't find too much info. Is this a fairly new model? Does this model resolved the samsung smile of the HLT's? Would you accept this model as an exchange?

Thanks a bunch for any feedback!
post #111 of 861 Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDucker View Post

Hi guys, I need your advice.

To make a long story short, I bought an hlt5676s dlp. I've been fighting with Samsung to fix a scratched screen for 5.5 months now. They finally offered to exchange it because every screen they sent to the service center was scratched. Anyway, they've offered to replace it with a HL61A650.

I tried to find reviews, and I skimmed through the forums, but didn't find too much info. Is this a fairly new model? Does this model resolved the samsung smile of the HLT's? Would you accept this model as an exchange?

Thanks a bunch for any feedback!

It's this year's model. That sounds like a fair trade, although I don't know much about your exisitng TV, but you do 61" instead of 56.

As for smile, these sets still have the chance to have bowing. It's luck oif the draw.
post #112 of 861 Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRugby View Post

It's this year's model. That sounds like a fair trade, although I don't know much about your exisitng TV, but you do 61" instead of 56.

As for smile, these sets still have the chance to have bowing. It's luck oif the draw.

Thanks Rugby. I skimmed through a few more threads here and from what I can tell, it sounds like you're right. It's luck of the draw. But, it does seem to be less prevalent than the HLT's. I guess well see. Can't be any worse than what I have now. My current geometry is really bad, plus the internal scratch on the screen.

Anyway, thanks!
post #113 of 861 Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDucker View Post

Thanks Rugby. I skimmed through a few more threads here and from what I can tell, it sounds like you're right. It's luck of the draw. But, it does seem to be less prevalent than the HLT's. I guess well see. Can't be any worse than what I have now. My current geometry is really bad, plus the internal scratch on the screen.

Anyway, thanks!

I have the 50 and 72 inch version of the A650. The first one I got of the 50 was pretty bad (but no worse than 1/4"), second was better (minimal bowing 1/8" to 1/16"). The 72 is almost perfect.
post #114 of 861 Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM

take 2, due to database error.

in PC mode at 1920x1080 resolution. left side half-inch or so is missing. i can take the mouse there but it doesnt display. auto-adjust does not fix issue.
post #115 of 861 Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 AM

what the....I had a nice big long post here yesterday...and it's missing?

Xbox360 Live Gamertag: Angry Losers
Let's play Rock Band!
Chicago Blackhawks!
post #116 of 861 Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Games View Post

what the....I had a nice big long post here yesterday...and it's missing?

"AVS Forum Community:
On the morning of August 11, AVS Forum suffered a major failure in the database and backup storage. As such, we have no choice but to recover from August 2nd.

This represents tens of thousands of lost posts and new threads for the last week. There is nothing we can do about it at this time but move forward. We are sorry about the loss and will work to be sure this does not happen again. We are as upset about this as you may be, more than likely even more.

Regretfully,

AVS Forum"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #117 of 861 Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yikes! I lost a bunch of nice updates to the FAQ. Poof, they're gone! Now what were they...

Hey Angry_Games, are you the famous AG from DFI/DIY Street? Welcome and I'm very sorry you lost your post. This has never happened before here so very sorry it happened to you. No wonder you're always angry!

This thread had over 8,000 views yesterday now down to 7,000 and a bunch of posts are gone just like that...

post #118 of 861 Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Yikes! I lost a bunch of nice updates to the FAQ. Poof, they're gone! Now what were they...

Hey Angry_Games, are you the famous AG from DFI/DIY Street? Welcome and I'm very sorry you lost your post. This has never happened before here so very sorry it happened to you. No wonder you're always angry!

This thread had over 8,000 views yesterday now down to 7,000 and a bunch of posts are gone just like that...

quentin with my issue i was using vga too just like you. do you have thsi issue as well? and you said something about overscanning. can we turn that off?
post #119 of 861 Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamddavee View Post

quentin with my issue i was using vga too just like you. do you have thsi issue as well? and you said something about overscanning. can we turn that off?

samsung tech guy:I see that PC resolution on your TV model is 1920 x 1080. If you see picture cut off on Justscan mode and 16:9 mode, then it is an issue with the TV itself.

gonna try to readjust it in justscan mode and try it again.
post #120 of 861 Old 08-11-2008, 03:12 PM

I've been trying to decide between the hl67a750 and the hl72a650. Just got back from Samsclub. They have a few 72's in stock. Great looking set. I was also told the stand, which I believe is the Samsung TR72B, is included. Holy crap! Can't beat that price. Also want to mention, I don't like buying
a tv without seeing it first. Sams is the only store in my area that even has one on display.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page