2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Owners Thread/FAQ - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 864 Old 08-30-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad to hear that worked, satfam! I'd been thinking of trying something like that but hadn't got around to it yet.

bahboy20, take a look through the FAQ and I think you'll find some answers. As far as PQ of Sony vs. the A650, they're both great. Most people could be happy with either.

As far as an extended warranty, that's up to you. Myself, I did not get one and will gamble with the one year in home Samsung warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 864 Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM

Darn! I'm guessing Amazon isn't carrying the 50-incher anymore? I hope not

EPIC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 864 Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

I have had my 650a for a couple of months now. The more I watch and try adjustments the less impressed I am. No matter what setting combinations I try, I can not get rid of the flickering which you see in the white colors. Also I see black dots in the white colors. The input is HDMI from a direct tv signal. I also see this problem when I play DVD's. Not sure if anyone has or has seen these problems. Right now I would tell everyone to stay away from this set. Very disapointed.

Looks like other people are having the same problems. I did talk to a rep at CC and he asked me if I had the extended warranty. I said yes, so he told me to call them. I called and have a repair tech coming to my house. I sure hope he doesn't give me the its just an adjustment. Like I said above, i have tried adjustments after adjustments. I will let you know how I make out.
post #184 of 864 Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You never said before so I'll ask again. Are you talking about SSE? This is something you have to live with with DLPs and it bothers some people more than others. I forget it's there most of the time and I suspect many others are the same. Every HDTV technology has advantages and disadvantages so SSE is something you expect if you go for the many advantages of DLP. To eliminate it I don't know that I'd want to pay 2-3 times as much for a 1080p 120Hz LCD or plasma of the same size that has other issues.

post #185 of 864 Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satfam View Post

Thanks for the response. I went to Party City and picked up a piece of black foam board and cut a piece to cut off the light from the vent. I didn't block the vent just set the board so the light wouldn't reflect off the back wall. And it works. A simple solution but Samsung could have designed the vents so they either turned up or down more so the light wouldn't escape so easily. Oh well, it's a great set with a great picture.

any way you could post pics of what you did there?
post #186 of 864 Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Liked: 14
Quentin2 Maybe part of what i am seeing is SSE. What is not explained by sse is the gosting around words, letters looking like they are a stair step rather then smooth. Also the picture looks out of focus. I was watching a football game the other night and when you looked at the field, it would go from green to a sliver color as the picture moved.
I do agree with you on the cost benefit. Still waiting on the service guy.
post #187 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Quentin2 Maybe part of what i am seeing is SSE. What is not explained by sse is the gosting around words, letters looking like they are a stair step rather then smooth. Also the picture looks out of focus. I was watching a football game the other night and when you looked at the field, it would go from green to a sliver color as the picture moved.

I have had my 50A650 for 4 days now. I do notice the SSE but can live with it.
On the HD cable box channels, I do notice that the picture shakes at times but it might just be the signal quality of Comcast or maybe some kind of interference.
Question: I assume all the cables are well insulated so power cables and video cables can be run side by side without issue?
I am using Quentin2 settings.
Note: I have no issues when watching a DVD.
post #188 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM

Ok, so I've been lurking here a while and have a couple of questions:

1) I'm considering the HL50A650 for my new theater room mainly because it looks like it might fit in an existing armoire we have... and by fit, I mean POSSIBLY.

Can some check the EXACT measurements of height and width? I've seen a few sites that vary by 1/8 of an inch or so, and that 1/8 of an inch is the difference between not fitting and fitting.

2) Second, this might JUST fit width wise in my cabinet, which has solid sides, but an open back (from where my old CRT stuck out). Would that be enough ventilation? Am I shortening the bulb life etc by putting it in a tight cabinet? Yes, I know the Sammy has some buttons on the side (which I wouldn't be able to reach), but they are duplicated on the remote - so no biggie.

3) The cabinet is a good 2 1/2 feet from the ground to the tv opening. Is it acceptable to tilt the tv for optimum viewing angle?

4) Our media couch seats 5 people in an arch. Do you think the side viewing angles of this tv are good enough to handle that?

5) For some reason I have this fear of the color wheel spinning into a million pieces etc and keep going back and forth between the 50 inch DLP or a 46 inch LCD. Any thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Jim
post #189 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well if the football field was breaking up and losing "focus" during motion or camera panning, that sounds like normal macroblocking which is a problem with the service provider signal not your TV. Let us know what the tech says when he gets there, KTM250, and good luck!

post #190 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoDog View Post

Ok, so I've been lurking here a while and have a couple of questions:

1) I'm considering the HL50A650 for my new theater room mainly because it looks like it might fit in an existing armoire we have... and by fit, I mean POSSIBLY.

Can some check the EXACT measurements of height and width? I've seen a few sites that vary by 1/8 of an inch or so, and that 1/8 of an inch is the difference between not fitting and fitting.

2) Second, this might JUST fit width wise in my cabinet, which has solid sides, but an open back (from where my old CRT stuck out). Would that be enough ventilation? Am I shortening the bulb life etc by putting it in a tight cabinet? Yes, I know the Sammy has some buttons on the side (which I wouldn't be able to reach), but they are duplicated on the remote - so no biggie.

3) The cabinet is a good 2 1/2 feet from the ground to the tv opening. Is it acceptable to tilt the tv for optimum viewing angle?

4) Our media couch seats 5 people in an arch. Do you think the side viewing angles of this tv are good enough to handle that?

5) For some reason I have this fear of the color wheel spinning into a million pieces etc and keep going back and forth between the 50 inch DLP or a 46 inch LCD. Any thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Jim

Here's the Samsung link for dimensions: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...HL50A650C1FXZA

If the back of the cabinent is open you should have enough ventilation but leave a little gap from the wall to be sure.

30" high probably will be 10-12" too high, when seated the display may be dim so you may have to tilt up the back of the set slightly.

How far back from the set will you be, can't say about viewing angle right now.

Of course compare both technologies and choose the one that works for you. I'm more than pleased with my HL56A650, it's perfect for me.

post #191 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

Here's the Samsung link for dimensions: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...HL50A650C1FXZA

If the back of the cabinent is open you should have enough ventilation but leave a little gap from the wall to be sure.

30" high probably will be 10-12" too high, when seated the display may be dim so you may have to tilt up the back of the set slightly.

How far back from the set will you be, can't say about viewing angle right now.

Of course compare both technologies and choose the one that works for you. I'm more than pleased with my HL56A650, it's perfect for me.

Quentin,

Thanks for the response. I actually had looked at Samsung's specs on the TV size, but I wasn't sure if they were accurate. For example, I looked at an Olevia 47 inch LCD that I *know* (I measured it in the store) fits my cabinet, but yet their spec size says its about 1/8 of an inch wider than it really is. I was wondering the same with the Sammy.

The media couch will be about 8 to 10 feet back from the TV, if that helps any with the viewing angle.

Does tilting the TV cause any issues with the color wheel wearing out early etc?

Thanks again!!

Jim
post #192 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

StephenZ, some cables are shielded but it's probably best not to let the power cord run parallel to signal cables. I doubt that it is your picture shaking problem but try moving the cables apart or get them to cross perpendicular to each other.

Since this doesn't happen with your DVD source it does sound like the problem is your subscription service or a problem in the STB/cables they provided. You could prove this by temporarily plugging in rabbit ears to the antenna input and tuning in OTA HD DTV to see how a separate signal works.

post #193 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jim, hopefully someone who has the HL50A650 will double check their dimensions and let you know. Can someone lend a hand?

Ok, on viewing angle I'd say it might be an issue for the viewers on the outside. We have a similar setup and people tend to scrunch a little toward the center, so you hope they're friendly and rooting for the same team! Really it's not a big problem. You could measure the angle from the outside seats and make sure they fall within 25 degrees from dead on in front of where the TV would sit.

I think vertical angle will be your problem and maybe a tilt of 5 degrees would be all you'd want for stability. Maybe some kind of wedge shaped thing that presents a perfectly flat surface for the TV to sit on so there's no flexing of the case. We have our set at 20" and it's perfect for sitting but darkens when you stand up. Maybe you'll get away with 30", depends on how deep down you sink into the couch.

post #194 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Thanks Quentin!

Yes, if someone would please measure their TV, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jim
post #195 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoDog View Post

Thanks Quentin!

Yes, if someone would please measure their TV, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jim

45" wide 31.5 high 13 deep (hard to be accurate on the depth)
Note: heat fan on left side and cables inputs on right side.......
may be an issue on an enclosed cabinet............
post #196 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenZ View Post

45" wide 31.5 high 13 deep (hard to be accurate on the depth)
Note: heat fan on left side and cables inputs on right side.......
may be an issue on an enclosed cabinet............

Thanks Stephen.

Is the 45" wide pretty exact? My cabinet is a hair beyond 45" wide and Samsung claims the TV is 45.2" wide. Yeah... I'm splitting hair here because the cabinet is that close!

I don't know that the vent or the cables will be a problem as long as they are recessed somewhat... my cabinet is PLENTY deep (30+ inches).

Jim
post #197 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I have had my 50A650 for 4 days now. I do notice the SSE but can live with it.
On the HD cable box channels, I do notice that the picture shakes at times but it might just be the signal quality of Comcast or maybe some kind of interference.
Question: I assume all the cables are well insulated so power cables and video cables can be run side by side without issue?
I am using Quentin2 settings.
Note: I have no issues when watching a DVD.

I did not use the cables I got with the HD box......I have the box and the DVD player in a bookcase. I drilled a hole in the back and have the 2 power cords, 2 HDMI cables, 1 coax cable and 1 optical cable running thru the hole together.
I will run the power cords thru a separate hole and see what happens.
I am using coax 90 degree connectors at the wall plate and the back of the cable box to minimize stress on the coax cable.
Would a gold plated coax cable help any? The coax cable I am using is 4 yrs old, I do not see any nicks or breaks in the cable......
post #198 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jim, the sides turn in at about a 45 degree angle from the widest part of the screen so ventilation should be just fine with an open back cabinet. And the cables will clear too. But getting to the cables will be a problem once the TV is in the cabinet. You might want to leave about 8" from the wall to get your hand in there and for ventilation too.

post #199 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM

I got 45 exact......hope your cabinet is true all the way around for such a tight fit...
post #200 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well you could try another coax to be sure. I doubt gold plating will make any difference and I doubt that the power cord is affecting coax at all since it has good shielding. Did you remove the 90 degree elbows just as a test?

post #201 of 864 Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got 45 exact......hope your cabinet is true all the way around for such a tight fit...

Good point! A little sag and it won't fit.

post #202 of 864 Old 09-05-2008, 06:47 AM

I have a HL50A650. I have heard that it is best to set the gamma to 0 in the service menu. I think the default is 4. Has anyone done this? Would that change what the settings should be in the regular picture menu?

See this site. http://www.gadgetbench.com/hlpgamma/

Also, when turning the sharpness setting down to 0 as some have recommended, the picture seems to get a little soft under 5. Is this just because my eyes were used to the oversharpened image before? What does everyone else have their sharpness set to?
post #203 of 864 Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 AM

over the weekend we were at the local mall and I checked out the LCDs at Sears, including the beautiful LN46A650, the 'touch of red' one and started having second thoughts about my purchase of the HL50A650. However, it arrived yesterday afternoon, and so far I am in love with it. Watched 'Cars' on Blu Ray with my new PS3 and was blown away. Same with the games on the PS3 I have tried. Just phenomenal.

The wife was even impressed with the way the tv looked, and I'm thinking that when the DirecTV guy comes tomorrow to hook up the HD package we got, she will be even more so.

Now I just gotta get in there and play with the settings and tweaks to get it 'perfect'.

Unless something happens down the road, the set seems pretty damn near perfect. No noticeable bowing or SSE. When looking at it from standing position, there is a 'white' light near the center that is invisible from sitting down, I'm assuming that is the bulb? Even the sound is pretty damn good for our living room, so I don't have to sweat getting a surround sound system just yet.

thanks for all your help guys!
post #204 of 864 Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

a_kraker99, I have not changed anything in the service menus as so far I've been plenty happy with the amount of control there is in the normal user menus. Don't know that the recommendations in your link are best for this year's models either, so would be slow to make that change. Anyone else with more insight here?

I did try sharpness at 5 because RD Grimes likes it with the A750 but 0 seemed to work better for me with the A650. If you see an improvement that's great, maybe I should look at it again now that my set has burned in for more than two months.

Of course tweak away and remember the best settings likely will be different for individual sets and viewing areas. Do let us know how things work out for you!

@red7ine: Glad you like your HL50A650, same goes for you, let us know how it works out for you!

post #205 of 864 Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Quentin2.
If you change the gamma in the service menu the default is 4(oem) and if you go down to 0 is says film next to it. It seems to have a better graduation from black to white in my eyes. I am going to try out some gamma test patterns and see if I can get them at the recommended 2.2 setting.
So far with all of the test patterns I have tried on my PS3, your recommended settings are working out pretty good for me, just a few minor tweaks.
I have a hardware calibrated computer monitor since I am a photographer so I opened up some pictures on both my TV and my laptop and they are very close right now. I might have to move the saturation down but I am going to test that after work with the color bar test in blue only mode. link. http://spareroommedia.com/video/monitor_setup.html

I will post my final results once I am satisfied with all of my settings.
post #206 of 864 Old 09-05-2008, 10:17 AM

I am also curious as to why you choose to keep the color gamut on sRGB as opposed to the other option. If the other option has a wider gamut then wouldnt that be better?
post #207 of 864 Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Best Buy was just at my house and they junked out my old HL-R4266W DLP - they are offering me a $1000 gift card or the HL50A650. What do you guys think? Take the $ and go with a 42ish LCD or get the 50" DLP. Dumb question to ask in this thread I know.
post #208 of 864 Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM

Depends on your priorities. Do you need a flat TV to hang on the wall? I think the DLP is the best picture for the money and I honestly like the quality better than plasma/lcd tv's. It seems smoother to me.
post #209 of 864 Old 09-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akielb View Post

Best Buy was just at my house and they junked out my old HL-R4266W DLP - they are offering me a $1000 gift card or the HL50A650. What do you guys think? Take the $ and go with a 42ish LCD or get the 50" DLP. Dumb question to ask in this thread I know.

If you don't feel like putting anymore money on top of it, then I would go with the HL50A650. I got the same set as a replacement and I love it. I was thinking of doing the same thing with Circuit City but after looking at them, I felt I was getting a better PQ with the DLP. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
post #210 of 864 Old 09-06-2008, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WOW! I haven't posted on this board much but do lurk here often. I bought my last TV (a Toshiba 57HDX81) about 5 or 6 years ago and since it worked great I had no need to keep going here, although I looked in once in a while just to see what's up. About a few months ago my TV started giving me troubles which I found out was the hyper board common in the set. It got to the point that it was unwatchable a week ago so I ordered a new board. This morning I found out it is nationally backordered for at least a month.

I was prepared to get a plasma at least 57. I went to my local Fry's and I looked at all the TV's and when I saw the Samsung HL61A650 I had to have it.

Out of the box it looks amazing. I am using DirecTv with a HD DVR using component but will try using a HDMI cable tomorrow. I have other devices like a Wii component and Xbox component with HD-DVD to try later.

So far it is far better than my previous TV. When the board finally arrives I do hope to fix and sell my old one.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page