Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2731 Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post

Dude, definitely get that switcher out and try a direct connection! I think you found your problem.

Also, friends don't let friends waste money on Monster cables. Go to Monoprice and buy a good quality HDMI Cat 2 cable for $13.

Chris

BROS' Thank you all for your input! I NOW have an excellent picture! What a bird brain I was for ASSUMING that the radient HDMI box would work fine with the samsung..

Too late on the monster cables bro. But thanks for the tip on future cables..

PLEASE reccomend the BEST video settings for this set. I usually only watch HD programming and Blu-ray or HD-DVD movies...

Right now I'm in the MOVIE mode, with the Warm 2 color tone and mostly everything off, INCLUDING DNLE (cause it only works in dynamic mode)

Thanks again in advance to you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2731 Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 AM

Speaker Hookup
I finally got the Yamaha YSP-4000. Since I don't have a cable box, I could only get sound from the TV to the soundbar by using L/R analog connectors going from the TV's audio-out into the YSP audio-in. Is there anyway I can get audio, using HDMI cables, from the TV to the 4000 without a cable box?
P.S. the YSP is phenomenal! If you don't need a discrete 5.1 system and don't want to run speaker wire all over the room, get this soundbar. I got my less that $1k at dbuys.com
----------------------------
PS3, Z-Line Z22 stand, Yamaha YSP-4000 sound bar
post #453 of 2731 Old 11-13-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbi23 View Post

BROS' Thank you all for your input! I NOW have an excellent picture! What a bird brain I was for ASSUMING that the radient HDMI box would work fine with the samsung..

Too late on the monster cables bro. But thanks for the tip on future cables..

PLEASE reccomend the BEST video settings for this set. I usually only watch HD programming and Blu-ray or HD-DVD movies...

Right now I'm in the MOVIE mode, with the Warm 2 color tone and mostly everything off, INCLUDING DNLE (cause it only works in dynamic mode)

Thanks again in advance to you all!

You already have Movie Mode.

Warm 2

LED Control: Medium in the day, Low/Min at Night (or during low ambient lighting)
All extra functions off (Black adj/Edge Off, etc)

Tint 51/49

I found I like my sharpness at 50. People like 20-25. I even turn it to 70 at times. Depends on source, some handle sharpness better than others.

Brightness: 44-45. After extensive testing, 44 IS the number where if you put the TV in 4:3, Blacks will match the black bars (which are the blackest your TV will get). Anything more will sacrifice the blackest black you can get. Test this by standing next to the TV in 4:3 and dialing your brightness to something like 50. If you have a black image or wallpaper, you'll notice that the black in the image is brighter than the black bar until you get to about 44-45. Trust me.

I'll get back to you, if I missed something. My Tv isn't even on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #454 of 2731 Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 PM

This is probably going to seem like a silly question, but won't the DLP picture by definition be slightly softer and without the artificial sharpness of an LCD or plasma because the picture we see is a reflection that's magnified many times over? My personally feeling is LCDs are good for computer monitors, and I don't have any home experience with plasmas. I can see how someone who is used to the LCD look might think the DLP doesn't look good to them.
post #455 of 2731 Old 11-13-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

You already have Movie Mode.

Warm 2

LED Control: Medium in the day, Low/Min at Night (or during low ambient lighting)
All extra functions off (Black adj/Edge Off, etc)

Tint 51/49

I found I like my sharpness at 50. People like 20-25. I even turn it to 70 at times. Depends on source, some handle sharpness better than others.

Brightness: 44-45. After extensive testing, 44 IS the number where if you put the TV in 4:3, Blacks will match the black bars (which are the blackest your TV will get). Anything more will sacrifice the blackest black you can get. Test this by standing next to the TV in 4:3 and dialing your brightness to something like 50. If you have a black image or wallpaper, you'll notice that the black in the image is brighter than the black bar until you get to about 44-45. Trust me.

I'll get back to you, if I missed something. My Tv isn't even on.

Yo Shin, you're alright dude... EVERYTHING right down to the LED at 44 is right on point bro.

You should start a business!

Damn though, I was really worried yesterday about that snowy picture, man...

Feelin relief and HAPPINESS!!!

Thanks again!
post #456 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Glad you got it right Shin..Most people's sets I see are too bright, too contrasty, too sharp...of course, the brighter the room the higher these levels need to be, but the image degrades...it's better to darken the room...Hey, I'm the guy you see running up the theater aisle to tell management to lower the lights in the movie theater!

Samsung HL50A650
post #457 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 08:14 AM

I've had my Sammy A61750 for a month now with no problems, however, last night I sit down to watch TV and everything looks "off". I press the info key and all of my channels, even the HD ones are showing as 720X480@60. Before yesterday every channel came in at 1920x1080. Also, I can no longer select Just Scan, it's greyed out in the menu. I tried doing a reset, but no relief there, I tried swithching HDMI ports, but no help there either. Has anyone else had this problem, and any suggestions as to howto fix it?

Thanks in advance
post #458 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarktiger93 View Post

I've had my Sammy A61750 for a month now with no problems, however, last night I sit down to watch TV and everything looks "off". I press the info key and all of my channels, even the HD ones are showing as 720X480@60. Before yesterday every channel came in at 1920x1080. Also, I can no longer select Just Scan, it's greyed out in the menu. I tried doing a reset, but no relief there, I tried swithching HDMI ports, but no help there either. Has anyone else had this problem, and any suggestions as to howto fix it?

Thanks in advance

PLEASE share with us what you find out that the PROBLEM is that is causing this. I went to their site and spent quite abit of time "asking" questions in the HELP/support area. Could not find anything more than the following, which is not a solution but helpful info: [You might go to their site too and they have an online feature where you can "speak" to a TECH]

To access the JustScan function, follow these steps:

Select an HDTV channel broadcasting a 1080i signal, or select an HDMI or Component source transmitting a 1080i or 1080p signal.

Note: JustScan will be grayed out and unavailable if you select any other input or source

BEST of Luck - hope you can solve this!!!
post #459 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance

It sounds as though your source device has been set to 720. Are you using a DTV or cable box and have you set it's output to 720 by accident?

Roger

post #460 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What stand did you pair with this unit? Samsung TR72B Tempered tinted glass stand

What dvd/blu-ray player did you pair? Sony BDP-S350 (PC Magazine Editor's Choice)

What receiver did you pair with it? My existing Yamaha RX-V2300

Awaiting the TV delivery from Crutchfield to replace my 7 year old Mitsubishi 65" RP.
I donated the Mitsubishi to the local volunteer fire department.
post #461 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 01:38 PM

I read this from a post about this set on another site

"I have a 42" plasma in my bedroom and this TV's picture is simply not as sharp. Analog channels are a little fuzzy. HD is pretty good although I get (can't think of the word - why they tell people not to wear stripes on TV) inaccurate images. By that I mean, for instance the grass seems to get all blurry when the guy is running down the field and the ref's stripes are just a mess - no sharp black and white at all."

Is set "soft" on images compaired to a plasma or lcd? Or did this guy just not have his settings right? Can this set be just as sharp and clear as a plasma?
post #462 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwaterpool View Post

I read this from a post about this set on another site

"I have a 42" plasma in my bedroom and this TV's picture is simply not as sharp. Analog channels are a little fuzzy. HD is pretty good although I get (can't think of the word - why they tell people not to wear stripes on TV) inaccurate images. By that I mean, for instance the grass seems to get all blurry when the guy is running down the field and the ref's stripes are just a mess - no sharp black and white at all."

Is set "soft" on images compaired to a plasma or lcd? Or did this guy just not have his settings right? Can this set be just as sharp and clear as a plasma?

I have the 61" LED DLP and mine looked GREAT right out of the box and after setting tweaks looks as good or better than ANY Plasma or LCD that I have seen...BUT this is just one man's "humble" opinion.
post #463 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

It sounds as though your source device has been set to 720. Are you using a DTV or cable box and have you set it's output to 720 by accident?

I have Comcast digital cable, with HD/DVR, any idea how to see what the source device is set to with the comcast box? If I did change it, I didn't know I did, however, I have a 4 year old, so anything is possible.
post #464 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have Comcast digital cable, with HD/DVR, any idea how to see what the source device is set to with the comcast box? If I did change it, I didn't know I did, however, I have a 4 year old, so anything is possible.

If you look on the display of your Cable box, is there a resolution showing? Maybe 1080i or 720p or 480p for example? If so, and it is not 1080i, you might want to call Comcast and ask them how to set it back to 1080i.
post #465 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM

try pressing menu when the cable box is off, menu will appear to adjust resolution and other stuff...
post #466 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 09:37 PM

Does the HL67A750 automatically upconvert an input signal from a DVD?
Does it covert 420p to 1080i or p using HDMI?......Thank u
post #467 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satbaby View Post

Does the HL67A750 automatically upconvert an input signal from a DVD?
Does it covert 420p to 1080i or p using HDMI?......Thank u

According to what I've been told, the set only shows 1080p. Every input signal is upconverted, with the exception of Blu-Ray....which is native 1080p.

However, if the signal is garbage to begin with (480i), then it's going to look pretty crappy upconverted to 1080p. We don't watch anything that's 480i in our house....so that's not an issue.

Chris
post #468 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 PM

what are the life spans off a led
post #469 of 2731 Old 11-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy46 View Post

what are the life spans off a led

This is from an online story about the set:

LED light units are rated to last at least 20,000hrs - which is the typical lifetime of a CRT. While the replacement cost of an LED light pack is not know, yet this should surely lead to a lower cost of ownership in comparison to traditional lamp-based sets with their typical 3000 to 5000 hours lamps.

Link here:

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...elevision.html

20,000 hours is 833 days of continuous viewing. Even if you are a heavy watcher (assuming you are employed), lets say you watch 6 hours of TV/day....that equates to 3333 days, or 9.1 years.

I've seen other notes saying that 20K is a very conservative estimate, and we should expect 50K or so.
post #470 of 2731 Old 11-15-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1313 View Post

This is probably going to seem like a silly question, but won't the DLP picture by definition be slightly softer and without the artificial sharpness of an LCD or plasma because the picture we see is a reflection that's magnified many times over? My personally feeling is LCDs are good for computer monitors, and I don't have any home experience with plasmas. I can see how someone who is used to the LCD look might think the DLP doesn't look good to them.

It IS softer than an LCD, but a good source will still look plenty sharp. I'm a big fan of sharpness as I said before, and I'm relatively happy with how sharp this set is (granted I like my sharpness setting a lot higher than everyone else.)

It will never be AS sharp as an LCD, but it's good enough.

post #471 of 2731 Old 11-15-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbi23 View Post

Yo Shin, you're alright dude... EVERYTHING right down to the LED at 44 is right on point bro.

You should start a business!

Damn though, I was really worried yesterday about that snowy picture, man...

Feelin relief and HAPPINESS!!!

Thanks again!

I had help. I just basically read up on this thread and altered things that I thought would be better for me. But yeah, I'm pretty anal about PQ, so I'm constantly tweaking.

I forgot to mention that the brightness setting is affected by the tv's black adjust, your device's internal settings (like the ps3's HDMI Black level...which I set to Normal, or the 360's HDMI level: Standard/Intermediate/Expanded).

For the most part, just try turning off or leaving things as 'normal' as they can get, to get your brightness at around the mid 40's.

For example, if you have the HDMI Black Level set to Low on the ps3, brightness on the TV should be at something like 60, since the 44 is gonna crush blacks due to them being altered by the TV.

post #472 of 2731 Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is from an online story about the set:

LED light units are rated to last at least 20,000hrs - which is the typical lifetime of a CRT. While the replacement cost of an LED light pack is not know, yet this should surely lead to a lower cost of ownership in comparison to traditional lamp-based sets with their typical 3000 to 5000 hours lamps.

Link here:

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...elevision.html

20,000 hours is 833 days of continuous viewing. Even if you are a heavy watcher (assuming you are employed), lets say you watch 6 hours of TV/day....that equates to 3333 days, or 9.1 years.

I've seen other notes saying that 20K is a very conservative estimate, and we should expect 50K or so.

That story was about last year's models. Samsung rates the LED for these models at 60,000 hours.
post #473 of 2731 Old 11-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBeatnik View Post

That story was about last year's models. Samsung rates the LED for these models at 60,000 hours.

Thanks for the clarification....I didn't realize last years models were LED driven.
post #474 of 2731 Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 AM

How does the HL67A750 compare to an older set like the Sony 55XS955 in PQ and shadow detail? I've always been real happy with the Sony but it's been in the shop for over a month now and me and the wife are going through serious big screen withdrawal. I'm considering upgrading to either the Samsung or the Mitsubishi 73735.
post #475 of 2731 Old 11-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification....I didn't realize last years models were LED driven.

I believe this is actually the third year they have had LED models.
post #476 of 2731 Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

The Amazon price is down to $1889 this morning....free shipping.
post #477 of 2731 Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM

Others are following suit. I've noticed prices dropping about the same $100 or $200 across the net. Crutchfield now is offering an "instant rebate" of $200.

Everything I read earlier said the prices of all TV's were going to drop heavily for Christmas so I'm wondering when to pull the trigger now.

I still have to decide on the right stand too and it needs to be able to hold a decently-sized center channel.
post #478 of 2731 Old 11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post

I still have to decide on the right stand too and it needs to be able to hold a decently-sized center channel.

I just picked up a coffee table on craigslist that will work until I find a permanent solution. It's the IKEA Benno coffee table. It's only 46" wide, but that's wide enough for this set. It's get a sturdy adjustable shelf underneath so you can adjust it for the size of your center channel.

Just look at the IKEA website. It's 17.75" high. BTW....I only paid $30 on CL, and it's nearly like new.

Chris
post #479 of 2731 Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:

According to what I've been told, the set only shows 1080p. Every input signal is upconverted, with the exception of Blu-Ray....which is native 1080p.

However, if the signal is garbage to begin with (480i), then it's going to look pretty crappy upconverted to 1080p. We don't watch anything that's 480i in our house....so that's not an issue.

Chris

Thank u for your reply. However, when I push the info button, it will show me that the signal is 720x480@60hz coming from my dvd player.
Apparently, nothing was upconverted to 1080 thru HDMI cable.
My concern is wether this tv upconvert any digital signal to 1080i or p or am I missing something?....Cheers
post #480 of 2731 Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satbaby View Post

Thank u for your reply. However, when I push the info button, it will show me that the signal is 720x480@60hz coming from my dvd player.
Apparently, nothing was upconverted to 1080 thru HDMI cable.
My concern is wether this tv upconvert any digital signal to 1080i or p or am I missing something?....Cheers

The TV displays them all at 1080p. When you press the Info button, that is the signal the source is sending.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung Hl67a750 67 Inch 1080p Led Powered Dlp Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page