2008 Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 2731 Old 11-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Agrajag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ, USA
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's exactly what it means. However, with 90% of them, if you miss that window by even a day, you pay interest on the entire amount. You could have 12 cents left to pay but that won't matter.

When this happens they retailer gets paid by the manufacturer directly (Sony does this all the time) and they're quite happy to offer it. Win/Win for them.
Agrajag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 2731 Old 11-27-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
egrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Be vary careful with these "interest free" deals. Most of them require some type of small monthly payment. Citifinancial claimed I was late with my second payment, which I wasn't, and tried to clip me for a $25 fee. Seeing where this was going, I immediately paid the entire loan off. Mind you, two months into the six month term. I refused to pay the late fee.

At the end of the six months they claimed I owed interest on the full amount of the loan. They had taken my money, paid the late fee first, then applied the rest to the principal, leaving a $25 balance. They have hounded me for years over this, eventually selling off the "bad debt" to a number of others who have hounded me. All this over $25 they tried to extort.

Be careful, they'll look for any way they can to hit you through the back door.
egrady is offline  
post #543 of 2731 Old 11-27-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shin CZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They really should merge this thread with the the 61A750 thread that has thousands of more replies. Same TV. Even those with 67" go there.
Shin CZ is offline  
post #544 of 2731 Old 11-27-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pjb16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

pardon my ignorance, but what's the deal with these 0% for xx months deals? does this mean at the end of the xx months, if you pay it off entirely you owe no interest? in essence, an interest-free loan for xx months? that doesn't sound right, but hey, deals that don't make sense is how we got into our current financial woe aren't they?

Typically you get 12-24 months (sometimes as much as 36) on TV's over $XXX.xx. Usually you have like a $30/month payment in order to keep the 0% interest. But if you don't pay it off entirely before the end of the promotional period, all the back interest gets added to your bill. So I usually just figure out an equal payment amount that will pay it off in time, and do that every month.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
pjb16 is offline  
post #545 of 2731 Old 11-27-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce banner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Carolina
Posts: 1,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

They really should merge this thread with the the 61A750 thread that has thousands of more replies. Same TV. Even those with 67" go there.

Thank you. It doesn't make sense to have two big threads on the same TV... its hard enough trying to find information.
bruce banner is offline  
post #547 of 2731 Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
AuroraProject's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lodi, CA
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone do me a favor please? Grab your tape measure and tell me how wide the foot of this tv is please. I have a stand that is 50" wide, so I know the screen will hang over on either side but I need to know if the foot will fit on it completely. Thanks.
AuroraProject is offline  
post #548 of 2731 Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
klyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also would like to know, I thought I read somewhere it was 36"
Also can some people post pictures of their stands ?

thanks
klyde is offline  
post #549 of 2731 Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domingos1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraproject View Post

can someone do me a favor please? Grab your tape measure and tell me how wide the foot of this tv is please. I have a stand that is 50" wide, so i know the screen will hang over on either side but i need to know if the foot will fit on it completely. Thanks.

39" i have a stand with a 55" base and the sides of the tv hang over 2" on each side
domingos1965 is offline  
post #550 of 2731 Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Newbie
 
uncreation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Already created a service ticket with Samsung. I have had this TV for 2-3 weeks now. Had problems from the get go, the TV will not turn off or will not turn on. It gets permanently hung up. Now the sound is not working. I checked the firmware and it was 99999999, which is a garbage number so I updated to the latest firmware from the site no problems. Unfortunately this did not correctly. Even if I unplug the TV and power cycle it still hangs up. Lady from Samsung (telephone) said she was not aware of the problem but she did not sound like the brightest bulb (Service Engineer my ass... they are just customer service reps).

I have to have a local company come out and look at the TV as the next step.

Any ideas or suggestions?
uncreation is offline  
post #551 of 2731 Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Have it replaced or fixed since it is brand new and should not be having those problems.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #552 of 2731 Old 12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
klyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine shipped today, should arrive next week.

The cabinet maker will be here Thursday.
The size shows 60.8" x 15.5 x 41.5" that 41.5" from the bottom of the stand or bottom of the screen? How deep is the stand?
Looking at the measurements I get the center of the screen is 41.5 - 7" stand = 13.7" + 7" = 20.7" form bottom of stand.
my eyes are at 40" which leaves a cabinet of 40 - 20.7 = 19.3"
does that look right?

thanks
klyde is offline  
post #553 of 2731 Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Member
 
hd#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way someone can post there picture settings I tried the Movie mode and thought it was to dark.I have tried the calibirating DVD's and still having dark images. Any help is appreciated thanks
hd#1 is offline  
post #554 of 2731 Old 12-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Member
 
neogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am between getting this television at 67" and this...
Couldn't load link...
The VIERA pz800u by panasonic that was the top rated HDTV by CNET, after the Kuro, I believe. I can get it for $1800, which I've found this same set for about that price as well (as low as $1400 refurbished). I am cost-conscious, but want great picture...If these were reasonably close I guess I'd go with 67" over 50". I don't care so much about thin. But if there is considerable edge with the Viera, I'd go that route. Supposedly after the Kuro, the Viera has the deepest blacks...which seems to separate the top HDTV's...any decent one looks good with 1080p...but the blacks in the dark scenes is tough. So until OLED's are cheap, I am trying to make this decision. Just thought I could get some thoughts.
neogenic is offline  
post #555 of 2731 Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Member
 
fourakind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
Long time, first time.
HL67A750 at BM for $1500.
Buddy of mine picked up one today after looking at mine.
Awesome price
fourakind is offline  
post #556 of 2731 Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
klyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who's BM?
klyde is offline  
post #557 of 2731 Old 12-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Member
 
hdforthefamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Might be this. credit to Craigsub.[post 12-13-06]

"craigsub
I like this hobby
AVS GOLD CLUB MEMBER
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the scoring summary with the Home Theater score and Music score, respectively shown as (HT-M).

Prices and whether the items are available Internet Direct or from a store are now included. Keep in mind that ID pricing will usually be firm, or slightly discounted, where some BM products will see substantial discounts. BM = Brick and Mortar. ID = Internet Direct. ID/SI = shipping included.
hdforthefamily is offline  
post #558 of 2731 Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 AM
Member
 
neogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenic View Post

I am between getting this television at 67" and this...
Couldn't load link...
The VIERA pz800u by panasonic that was the top rated HDTV by CNET, after the Kuro, I believe. I can get it for $1800, which I've found this same set for about that price as well (as low as $1400 refurbished). I am cost-conscious, but want great picture...If these were reasonably close I guess I'd go with 67" over 50". I don't care so much about thin. But if there is considerable edge with the Viera, I'd go that route. Supposedly after the Kuro, the Viera has the deepest blacks...which seems to separate the top HDTV's...any decent one looks good with 1080p...but the blacks in the dark scenes is tough. So until OLED's are cheap, I am trying to make this decision. Just thought I could get some thoughts.

Anyone? Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourakind View Post

Hi all,
Long time, first time.
HL67A750 at BM for $1500.
Buddy of mine picked up one today after looking at mine.
Awesome price

I guess I am curious to know this place as well.
neogenic is offline  
post #559 of 2731 Old 12-03-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RaceTripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenic View Post

Anyone? Thoughts?

I guess I am curious to know this place as well.

BrandsMart. He had that in his original post and edited it to BM. Looks like it's a B&M in the south.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
RaceTripper is offline  
post #560 of 2731 Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Newbie
 
Will D Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK so I finally got mine delivered this past Saturday.

I ran the DVE Blu Ray disc to calibrate it and I must say that right off the bat on Movie Mode, this TV is bang on. All i had to do was slightly tweak the blues. My greens are still slightly off, but I'll leave that to a professional calibrator that is coming by tonight.

Overscan was at about 1.5% or so on Just Scan which kind of bothered me, but it's well below the "accepted" threshold especially for a DLP TV.

It also passed the 1080p 1:1 test.

The quality looks great and even SD sources look pretty good depending on the channel.

I have the TV about 9 ft away or so and I like to lean down into my couch while I watch. It seems to get slightly darker on the top, but I'd have never noticed that unless I read through the hundreds of posts on this forum. The stand is pretty high and the top of the TV stands about 6'7" from the ground on top of the stand.

There is definitely no need to tilt the TV.

So far so good...

I have a PS3 running MKV files at 720 and 1080 (probably transcoded) and they look great!
I have a Bell TV 9242 HD PVR (The Dish Network equivalent in Canada)
I have a Viewsat 9000HD running some "FTA" stuff which also looks great in HD.

All three are connected directly to the TV with HDMI. My Yamaha receiver, unfortunately does not support HDMI switching.

I will update once it gets callibrated and a view a real Blu Ray rather than the MKV downloads.
Will D Toronto is offline  
post #561 of 2731 Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Newbie
 
Will D Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a quick update:

I got it calibrated last night. When I tried to do it the only thing I noticed was that the greens were off a bit and perhaps brightness may have needed a slight increase. (as per the DVE Blu Ray)

The professional calibrator confirmed what I had originally speculated. The tint was adjusted into the red a bit, and contrast was increased rather than brightness.

My biggest issue was with the audio, but that's outside the review of this TV.

My rears were too low b/c i had moved them from a stand and onto a wall that was further away. Plus my bass was too high and center channel too low.

At least it payed off for that.

So, to confirm you can pretty much go with the factory settings for Movie mode and be bang on with what the TV should look like. If you want, just pick up a DVE Blu ray and adjust the settings with that.

The settings were also consistent across the different video modes (My Home theater components are all set up through the 3 HDMI ports).
Will D Toronto is offline  
post #562 of 2731 Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Newbie
 
empcesar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Va
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D Toronto View Post

OK so I finally got mine delivered this past Saturday.

I ran the DVE Blu Ray disc to calibrate it and I must say that right off the bat on Movie Mode, this TV is bang on. All i had to do was slightly tweak the blues. My greens are still slightly off, but I'll leave that to a professional calibrator that is coming by tonight.

Overscan was at about 1.5% or so on Just Scan which kind of bothered me, but it's well below the "accepted" threshold especially for a DLP TV.

It also passed the 1080p 1:1 test.

The quality looks great and even SD sources look pretty good depending on the channel.

I have the TV about 9 ft away or so and I like to lean down into my couch while I watch. It seems to get slightly darker on the top, but I'd have never noticed that unless I read through the hundreds of posts on this forum. The stand is pretty high and the top of the TV stands about 6'7" from the ground on top of the stand.

There is definitely no need to tilt the TV.

So far so good...

I have a PS3 running MKV files at 720 and 1080 (probably transcoded) and they look great!
I have a Bell TV 9242 HD PVR (The Dish Network equivalent in Canada)
I have a Viewsat 9000HD running some "FTA" stuff which also looks great in HD.

All three are connected directly to the TV with HDMI. My Yamaha receiver, unfortunately does not support HDMI switching.

I will update once it gets callibrated and a view a real Blu Ray rather than the MKV downloads.

How did you get mkv files on your ps3? So they work and look nice on this TV?
empcesar is offline  
post #563 of 2731 Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Member
 
lastdefender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what happened to the low prices that were set to be release?
lastdefender is offline  
post #564 of 2731 Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Newbie
 
romper333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D Toronto View Post

Just a quick update:

I got it calibrated last night. When I tried to do it the only thing I noticed was that the greens were off a bit and perhaps brightness may have needed a slight increase. (as per the DVE Blu Ray)

The professional calibrator confirmed what I had originally speculated. The tint was adjusted into the red a bit, and contrast was increased rather than brightness.

My biggest issue was with the audio, but that's outside the review of this TV.

My rears were too low b/c i had moved them from a stand and onto a wall that was further away. Plus my bass was too high and center channel too low.

At least it payed off for that.

So, to confirm you can pretty much go with the factory settings for Movie mode and be bang on with what the TV should look like. If you want, just pick up a DVE Blu ray and adjust the settings with that.

The settings were also consistent across the different video modes (My Home theater components are all set up through the 3 HDMI ports).

So, Will, did you see a dramatic difference from the pro calibration? Or was what you tweaked via DVE really satisfactory? Was the pro worth the price?
romper333 is offline  
post #565 of 2731 Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
R8der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdefender View Post

So what happened to the low prices that were set to be release?

Don't know about the low prices quoted, but I did see it at Vann's for $1798 with free shipping. That's about the best deal you are going to see most likely....unless Circuit City screws up again....

Chris
R8der is offline  
post #566 of 2731 Old 12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Member
 
neogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenic View Post

I am between getting this television at 67" and this...
Couldn't load link...
The VIERA pz800u by panasonic that was the top rated HDTV by CNET, after the Kuro, I believe. I can get it for $1800, which I've found this same set for about that price as well (as low as $1400 refurbished). I am cost-conscious, but want great picture...If these were reasonably close I guess I'd go with 67" over 50". I don't care so much about thin. But if there is considerable edge with the Viera, I'd go that route. Supposedly after the Kuro, the Viera has the deepest blacks...which seems to separate the top HDTV's...any decent one looks good with 1080p...but the blacks in the dark scenes is tough. So until OLED's are cheap, I am trying to make this decision. Just thought I could get some thoughts.

Can anyone give me advice on this?
neogenic is offline  
post #567 of 2731 Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
RickRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ft. Walton Beach. FL
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdefender View Post

So what happened to the low prices that were set to be release?

Appears to be rumors run amuck.

The original MSRP price change was "suppose" to happen the Sumday BEFORE Thanksgiving according to HDGuru. Nothing actually happen to the MSRP.

The link.

I would question the idea that if the MSRP was $2399 and best deal on street prices 67A750 was $1800-2000 that a "$600" reduction in MSRP automatically drops the street price down to $1200-1400.

Rick Steverson

Surely you didn't make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about?!!
RickRS is offline  
post #568 of 2731 Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
realdeal1115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting closer to taking the leap into the HL67A750... now I need a stand, can you guys please post what stands you are using with this set?

I am looking for something with doors so that the components are kept safe... I have 3 boys under the age of 5

Thanks!
realdeal1115 is offline  
post #569 of 2731 Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Newbie
 
satbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought it from z-gallerie
It has sliding doors.

LL
satbaby is offline  
post #570 of 2731 Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Newbie
 
jpghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Several have mentioned stand heights ranging from 18" - 21". I am building my own stand for the 67" Sammy so it can accomodate all my components. Right now my stand is at 31". I will be sitting about 11'-12' from the tv. I was looking for some input from some owners.... Will I have a viewing angle issue? Will this be too high? Total height with stand and tv will be around
72".
jpghost is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung Hl67a750 67 Inch 1080p Led Powered Dlp Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off