2008 Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP owners thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2731 Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM
HBP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMO bulbs aren't worth anything, cost about $100 online.

Unless you're getting a KILLER deal, I'd get the better TV. Especially if you want the size. Read the other thread for the specific reasons. Quoted them for you here.

Quote:

Why should I get a 750 LED series over the 650 bulb series?

* The 750 comes in bigger sizes, 61" and 67".
* The 750 has an LED light source that should last the life of the set. No bulbs to replace.
* The 750 uses the CinemaPure Color Engine that creates brilliant, realistic images and displays color that’s 40% brighter than traditional HDTVs. (Note that most sources don't take advantage of this extra color space. Some Camcorders do support it.)
* Nearly instant startup times, with instant brightness no need for the bulb or ballast to warm up.
* No spinning color wheel, so quieter TV (color wheels spin fast and can sometimes have a high pitch whine), and less moving parts
* Much, much less chance of seeing rainbows as the LED's cycle much faster than the color wheel.
* "Green" TV. The LED set uses much less power than bulb based sets and has one of the lowest energy consumption of TV's. Note that actual energy usage is less than the max rated watts listed on the TV.

- Why should I get the 650 series over the 750?

* Cheaper.
* Want a smaller size, 56" or below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2731 Old 09-02-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

only when i get up and close to the screen

Then it doesn't see like much of a problem to me.
post #33 of 2731 Old 09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 808
I can't be close to the screen(like a few inches) and look at any test patterns for more than a few seconds. It really hurts my eyes. Back a few inches more and I'm fine. My color wheel sets weren't like that, but it really doesn't matter since I'm not going to watch any TV with my face only a few inches from the screen.
I sit 9 feet away from my 67" LEd DLP set. My only complaint(other then the largest size only being 67") is the upper right quandrant which is slightly out of foucus. Fortunately it's not noticeable with normal viewing unless there is some very small lettering.
I just know that post calibration, the picture is just superb from my set.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #34 of 2731 Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1313 View Post

Then it doesn't see like much of a problem to me.

thanks for your help
post #35 of 2731 Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Got my Sammy HL67A750 last week in anticipation of the upcoming football season. Bought it from HH Gregg in Winston-Salem for (get this) $1670 !!! Got the stand and receiver (below) for a total of $2224. That's the best deal I've ever collaborated in my life!

The stand I got for it was the Samsung TR500X3B...much too small. Holds the TV fine and at a good eye level, but really not enough space to hold other equipment. Luckily I already had a black cabinet to put my receiver and other equipment.

Purchased the Home Theater in a box Samsung HT2510. Sound-wise it's pretty good, good subwoofer with it. Has wireless rear speakers which helps me out in someways, but it has given me some problems on keeping it's connectivity to the main system.

I also have the DirectTV HR20-700 and have the EXCELLENT HD package. Have the Season Ticket with DirectTV, so it will be life-size this season.

XBox360 ... Madden 09 looks good on this big Sammy!

The set it replaced was a 2000 Sony KP53XBR. 53" rear projection. Never had one problem with that set, so actually pained me to get rid of it. Sold it to the first person I mentioned it to.

Anxious to see if there are some general settings that people see best. Still playing with the standard and movie modes.
post #36 of 2731 Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 PM

Liked: 13
Greetings all - I thought I would post first in this thread to get some feedback from the owners of this set first. From what I have read, everyone seems to be *VERY* happy with this set....

What I have right now is a Hitachi 65SWX20B (65-inch) that I purchased new in late 2003. It's a great set, and still has a really great picture - it's just a HUGE RPTV. I'm currently remodeling my home, and as soon as my paint and new carpet are in I've pretty much decided to upgrade to a new TV as well. I was pretty much settled on the Samsung 58-inch plasma (PN58A550), but after doing some reading on these new LED-based RPTVs from Samsung I thought I'd take a look at this set (the HL67A750). I saw one today at Circuit City, and was just amazed at how much larger the screen seemed than my Hitachi, even though it's only 2 inches and just an optical illusion, LOL.

I don't and won't judge picture quality on a set by the way it looks in the store, only because I know that the same signal feed to whatever set I'm looking at is the same feed going to 40+ TVs, and they often aren't calibrated correctly, they've already been turned on god-knows-how-many hours straight, and the lighting just sucks. I'm glad I went on research when I bought my Hitachi, because I have been so incredibly happy with it.

I watch a fair amount of HD programming via Comcast, mostly sports, I own an XBox 360 and PS3, and watch a ton of movies. Should I go the plasma route? Or am I going to be as impressed as I am so far (or even more so) with this LED-DLP RPTV? I was only considering plasma because of the brightness and clairty of the picture - I wouldn't be hanging/mounting it on a wall, so the space doesn't really concern me much. Considering that I'm transitioning from a 460 pound monster Hitachi, almost anything is going to recover me some space I'd appreciate your guys' feedback - I referenced it much back in 2003 with my Hitachi.
post #37 of 2731 Old 09-05-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:

thanks for your help

I didn't mean it like that. I understand that if you know something has a flaw, then it bothers you, even when you can't see it, because you know it's there, but if you can't see it from a normal viewing distance, the it doesn't seem like a huge deal.
post #38 of 2731 Old 09-06-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

i still can't believe how good this tv is
it will be even better after calibration in december
post #39 of 2731 Old 09-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo11 View Post

Just purchased a 67" Samsung HL67A750. Great PQ, but have noticed that the screen brightness changes as you move eyes/head up and down. Had a 50" Panasonic DLP and did not have this issue. We sit directly in front of TV about 8-8.5 feet from screen. TV is set on Movie, with Low LED.

Yes, I noticed this immediately on the HL67A750 I saw in Best Buy last week, but I assumed it was because I was standing only about 4 feet from it, and my eye level was almost at the top of the screen. When I stepped back to around 7 feet, it was less noticeable, since my head couldn't raise or lower enough to change the angle at that distance. I'm surprised you can still notice it at 8 feet when sitting down!

Also, for whatever reason the HL67A750 looked TERRIBLE at Best Buy, compared to the flatpanels on the wall. Very dim and grainy! Lord knows how they managed to screw it up that much. Same video feed. Do they intentionally make some sets look bad? Why?
post #40 of 2731 Old 09-06-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotan7 View Post

Yes, I noticed this immediately on the HL67A750 I saw in Best Buy last week, but I assumed it was because I was standing only about 4 feet from it, and my eye level was almost at the top of the screen. When I stepped back to around 7 feet, it was less noticeable, since my head couldn't raise or lower enough to change the angle at that distance. I'm surprised you can still notice it at 8 feet when sitting down!

Also, for whatever reason the HL67A750 looked TERRIBLE at Best Buy, compared to the flatpanels on the wall. Very dim and grainy! Lord knows how they managed to screw it up that much. Same video feed. Do they intentionally make some sets look bad? Why?

don't judge any tv by what u see at best buy
hers pic of my 67"
a little fuzzy due to my unsteady hand
LL
post #41 of 2731 Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 AM

I just got a 67" and I tried to set it to Warm2, which I've been told is the closest to HDTV broadcast temperature. When I find it in the menu it is Grayed out.
Do I need to change some other settings?
post #42 of 2731 Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpast View Post

I just got a 67" and I tried to set it to Warm2, which I've been told is the closest to HDTV broadcast temperature. When I find it in the menu it is Grayed out.
Do I need to change some other settings?

U need to choose MOVIE mode to be able to use Warm2
post #43 of 2731 Old 09-07-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotan7 View Post

BB should be ashame the way this TV is setup..
The HL61A750 looked TERRIBLE
Compton CA (Store 1432)
230 Towne Center Dr
Compton, CA 90220

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #44 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

See how the corners are darker than the rest of the picture and the center is much brighter? Is this normal for the HL67A750? I've been told that this model has even brightness from corner to corner, but pictures like this one concern me. I've been told that it's likely the camera, but the angle at which this picture was taken makes me wonder about that...
post #45 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

i posted this over in the wrong owner's thread (put it in the 61" instead of the 67" one here)...it belongs here instead...

well, i've had my 67" 750 for ~5 weeks now and was loving it...that is, until tonight when it started flashing/flickering pink over the screen on what seems to be all the inputs (at least the cable input and the HDMI1 input). i called a buddy that has the same cable provider and it's NOT the broadcast...plus, when i pause the Tivo, the screen still flickers pink. what a night for it to happen...the start of MNF! luckily, i have the 50" version in my loft and have been watching the game(s) upstairs.

i called Samsung and they're sending a local company out Thursday morning...hopefully the repair guy can fix it before Saturday's Ohio State @ USC game.

so, is this the common pink/violet problem that's been mentioned a few times? we turned off the AC in our house last night and while it's not "hot", it's definitely warmer...could the TV be overheating since it takes about 5-10 minutes before the flickering starts.

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #46 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Just wanted to share my happiness with the 67A750. I purchased the set from Tweeter back in June 08. I did not get to actually install the set until second week of August 08 do to finishing my basement. I got to watch the NFL games this past weekend on Directv and let me say, I was blown away by the picture. I will post pics soon.
post #47 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bORNZO View Post

Just wanted to share my happiness with the 67A750. I purchased the set from Tweeter back in June 08. I did not get to actually install the set until second week of August 08 do to finishing my basement. I got to watch the NFL games this past weekend on Directv and let me say, I was blown away by the picture. I will post pics soon.

Really looking forward to the pix my friend!
post #48 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM

In my shopping around, I noticed at every store, the Sammy 67" looked worse than the sets around it. In asking, they told me the ones near it were connected to a Blu-Ray where the Sammy was connected to satellite feed. I asked if they could change it around so I could see the Samsung with the Blu-Ray and they couldn't. Strange that all were setup similar (BB, CC, HH)
post #49 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Any chance any of you who has had professional calibrations posting your settings to the site? With default settings, mine looks a close to perfect as I could imagine, but if it could be crystal clear then I'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks!
post #50 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPopNC View Post

I asked if they could change it around so I could see the Samsung with the Blu-Ray and they couldn't. Strange that all were setup similar (BB, CC, HH)

Sheez,,
How hard is it for a store to demo a Blu-ray player with a TV

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #51 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogBalrog View Post

See how the corners are darker than the rest of the picture and the center is much brighter? Is this normal for the HL67A750? I've been told that this model has even brightness from corner to corner, but pictures like this one concern me. I've been told that it's likely the camera, but the angle at which this picture was taken makes me wonder about that...

man u worry to much
post #52 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

man u worry to much

c'mon. If you don't have anything of value to add, then don't. It's a legitimate concern. Maybe someone helpful could respond?
post #53 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogBalrog View Post

People try to be helpful and I know this is a video forum not a photo forum, but many times people just don't understand how to take a picture of a TV.

You MUST turn off the flash. You must have the metering be on the center of the frame (or zoom in, until the TV fills the frame).

Looking at shots with a flash, tell you nothing about how the TV picture looks, unless you watch TV with a strobe light going.

Finally, if you want to see what a TV looks like, you really need to go see it (albeit many stores do not have them set up well, but it's still better than a 640x480 jpeg compressed flash shot) for discerning details.

To your specific question, to my human eye (I have the 67") there is no perceptable brightness fall off in the corners.

In the picture you reference there is a flash. Behind the the whole screen is one GIANT mirror (though, of course, angled down).

Samsung even places a 1 page insert in the packaging to tell you, you will see a brighter spot in the middle (when the TV is off) if you have a direct light source shining straight at the TV.

I realize the TV is on, in that picture, but it's the same principle. Also the camera (even if the flash where off) is not centered and not perpendicular to the TV.

Net: home pictures are good to show the setup, the TV stand, some weird artifact on a problem TV, etc. They are not good to discern technical details.
post #54 of 2731 Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM

Hey loflin, thanks for the great post. I really appreciate it. I realize looking at screenshots is no way to gauge PQ, however, I live somewhere very remote and the nearest place to see this TV is a good 2 hours or more. Eventually, I'll make the trip, but for now, screenshots help guys like me more than not seeing anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loflin View Post

Samsung even places a 1 page insert in the packaging to tell you, you will see a brighter spot in the middle (when the TV is off) if you have a direct light source shining straight at the TV.

^^^ Good info here, thanks! That's exactly what I needed to hear.
post #55 of 2731 Old 09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

CC has the 67" on sale for $2099-$100(special coupon) = $1999
post #56 of 2731 Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:

CC has the 67" on sale for $2099-$100(special coupon) = $1999

Good price but the tax kills you. Do most of you think this TV should not be shipped from an online retailer?
post #57 of 2731 Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 PM

I guess this thread continues on despite the 61" thread. So I've decided this is my TV, but I'm having the hardest time deciding on my stand. I know I want a cabinet so as not to see the wire mess in the back. This is the one I think I want.

Tech-craft SWBL60

But it's hard to find online for a good price. Anyone have any other stand recommendations?

I'm also eyeing this one:
Bush VS13988-03
post #58 of 2731 Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot View Post

Good price but the tax kills you. Do most of you think this TV should not be shipped from an online retailer?

i would never buy a tv online
post #59 of 2731 Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:

why's that?
post #60 of 2731 Old 09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Outside of a small TV I found in scratch & dent for an ancillary room, I haven't bought a TV at a B&M store in about 20 years. Even the 73" I just bought came from online. Local stores just can't touch the price.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung Hl67a750 67 Inch 1080p Led Powered Dlp Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page