2008 Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP owners thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2731 Old 12-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know on some sets modes like Cinema are better because they reduce noise the best.

Is there any "better" setting like this on the Samsung 67"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2731 Old 12-19-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

Until today, Amazon has had it for around $1420.00.

Not for the 67" LED model. I was watching the Amazon price for a month - it never went below about $1800. Finally I ordered (when I was ready to) from Vann's when Amazon when about $90 higher.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #633 of 2731 Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:

You should reduce the size to 800x600 so it fits on the screen. The photo isn't too bad it just is a pain to see.

Foto resized. I originally uploaded it at the native resolution because you could barely make the model on the lower left part of the TV description (for the non-believers). However you are right, the huge picture was a pain to see.
post #634 of 2731 Old 12-19-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post

$1498 for the 67" LED! That is an AMAZING deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a place I first saw the 1400 deal. I thought it was pretty good until I saw the shipping and "details". This might be right for some people.

1500 deal

3 areas to read before you buy there...I decided not to buy there after reading all of this.

1-This

2-That

3-The Other

PS. 1579.00 with 3yr extended; 350.00 flat rate truck shipping; For 1929.85 OTD---LOL

Tax for NY 8+%
and should you need it their restocking fee is 15% = 250.00 (+/-)
post #635 of 2731 Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Not for the 67" LED model. I was watching the Amazon price for a month - it never went below about $1800. Finally I ordered (when I was ready to) from Vann's when Amazon when about $90 higher.

I agree...I saw it the same way. I wonder if they do wierd things like have a ridiculous price for a half hour than change it just to get attention, or make people come in and try and get the deal, but only to settle for higher to get a sale? Sounds like car dealer tactics?
post #636 of 2731 Old 12-19-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I sold my TV on Craigslist. Third inquiry came and looked, and carried it away. Easy peasy.

My BDI stand arrived yesterday. Got it all setup with my AV equipment. Then this morning the Fedex cargo driver called to ask if he could come early (I had a 3 PM appt), so he delivered the TV at 8 AM. While I unpacked it he was on his truck doing paperwork, so I ran out and asked if he would help lift it on the stand. He was real nice about it (I had curbside delivery). I wanted to tip him a $10 and he told me to give something to a charity instead. Anyway, it's all setup. I have some work to do for now, but I'll get on to tweaking it later.

Nice...I ordered everything Monday night and have it this (Friday) morning.

Where did you order your BDI stand from?...I still need to find a stand. Does anyone know with this tv what the maximum ht of your stand should be? Is
26" high okay. It is difficult to find a nice piece of furniture that accomodates a decent sized receiver and center channel and not cost over $1600! I need it before Christmas....will be out looking tomorrow (Sat).
post #637 of 2731 Old 12-19-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompatrick View Post

Where did you order your BDI stand from?...I still need to find a stand. Does anyone know with this tv what the maximum ht of your stand should be? Is
26" high okay. It is difficult to find a nice piece of furniture that accomodates a decent sized receiver and center channel and not cost over $1600! I need it before Christmas....will be out looking tomorrow (Sat).

I'm going to try this one...

http://www.techcraft.net/4105/detail...roduct_id=1627
post #638 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdforthefamily View Post

This is a place I first saw the 1400 deal. I thought it was pretty good until I saw the shipping and "details". This might be right for some people.

1500 deal

3 areas to read before you buy there...I decided not to buy there after reading all of this.

1-This

2-That

3-The Other

PS. 1579.00 with 3yr extended; 350.00 flat rate truck shipping; For 1929.85 OTD---LOL

Tax for NY 8+%
and should you need it their restocking fee is 15% = 250.00 (+/-)

The place refurbdeport is selling you a refurbished TV, not a brand new one. You need to compare apples to apples in terms of prices. They are selling you pre-owned equipment which failed, was repaired by Samsung (comes with 90 day warranty) and now is of course a bit cheaper because it was already used.
post #639 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 AM

I highly recommend you STAY AWAY from refurbdepot.com. I bought a small LCD for the kitchen from them a couple of years ago. The screen had a green line from top to bottom. I was given the run around for a couple of months before the screen was finally replaced.
post #640 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got my BDI from Modern Essentials. They were great. Price was a good as anyone's. I ordered Monday night, they shipped it Tuesday, and it was delivered on Thursday. Best Buy had our stand. That's where we first saw it, but once we got home they didn't show in in stock at any of our local stores. I did not want to pay tax and shipping to get it from them.

My stand is about 20" high. For the 67" I would not go much higher. I sit in an Eames chair, so i'm still a bit lower than for normal seating, but for the sofa it's just the right height. I think 26" would be too tall unless you have seating to match.

I have a fairly large center channel speaker (6.5 x 22.5 x 12.5) and AV receiver. The BDI fits those, plus an XBox 360, PS3, 2 power amps, and D* DVR. And it looks great. My wife loves it.

post #641 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 09:42 AM

I am proud to say that I have just purchased my samy 67A750! does anyone have recommended settings for use with a PC with this tv?
post #642 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 09:47 AM

I received my HL67A750 Tuesday and we are both really impressed with the HD picture and OTA live/recorded sports. Today however we were watching a recorded episode (DISH VIP 622DVR) on The History Channel (120) Ancient Discoveries, Lost Science and not only was the picture stunning and very detailed, but some indoor and outside segments appeared to be three dimensional in nature. WOW this is something I have not seen before on our previous 65" HD RPTV. Those segments never looked like that on our previous much deeper display. We also have DirecTV HD and I'm sure the picture would appear the same. It was like those pictures frames you hang on the wall with lights inside that look very deep looking from the front, or what I would think 3-D on this TV would look like. Wife thought I just wanted a new "Toy" when I ordered this set, but now she can't believe how much better this picture is over our previous 1080I screen.

If you have not ordered your set yet, no reason to wait any longer. This is the one at a great price. Sure there could be something available new from Samsung in 2009 or maybe not. These Threads shows nearly 95% of those that have purchased this set (or 61") very pleased. Will that be the case in the future on any new models or their price? Who knows! I glad I got mine and will enjoy it now. Be decisive!

Samsung HL67A750 RPTV, TWO 2013 Hoppers w/Sling, OTA Digital Dongle, My Book Essential 750Gb EXTERNAL hard drive, ONKYO HT-S9100 THX speakers & ONKYO TX-NR616 A/V receiver, ONKYO DV-BD606 Blu-Ray Disc Player, Harmony ONE Remote, GOOGLE TV, w 4 other TV's (LCD & LED).
post #643 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 10:37 AM

I'd like to be decisive but can't seem to pull the trigger between this TV (HL67A750) or the 63" Sammy Plasma. I have an 8yr-old rear-projection (Sony 43KPTV..Non-HD). I've been reading the threads for both sets for the last few weeks. Taking cost out of the equation, I am leaning towards the DLP set because I have a 2yr-old boy who loves to smack the screen when he sees something he doesn't like and getting the cheaper DLP. I know, crazy logic...but I've seen the 67" at Best Buy and made some adjustments to the TV as recommended by some of the previous posts and this made for a better picture; although with all the LCDs and Plasmas hanging around, it does seem duller as expected. I'm rambling but I think this 67" is a great buy especially considering that it is only $400 more than what I spent for my TV 8yrs ago (and that's not even adjusting for inflation which makes this even cheaper).
I'll wait until january before pulling the trigger on this. I can't imagine that Samsung is going to do anything significantly different for 2009 with their DLP line except maybe offer a 72" version. The Laservue, with amazingly only one real review available to date, does not seem priced fairly in the least.
I'll humbly take the award for lamest post ever. Hopefully I can redeem myself when I post pics of the TV in my Salamander Design unit that is coming next month.

"I Hated every Minute of Training, but I said, "Don't Quit! Suffer now and Live the rest of your Life as a CHAMPION" -Ali
post #644 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 02:50 PM

does anyone know whats the failure raite on these 67 led tv. im asking because im debating whether to get a extended warrant or not. i will be getting it from best buy since i have 1100 dollars in best buy gift cards. its just that there warranty prices are very epensive
post #645 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickaren View Post

I received my HL67A750 Tuesday and we are both really impressed with the HD picture and OTA live/recorded sports. Today however we were watching a recorded episode (DISH VIP 622DVR) on The History Channel (120) Ancient Discoveries, Lost Science and not only was the picture stunning and very detailed, but some indoor and outside segments appeared to be three dimensional in nature. WOW this is something I have not seen before on our previous 65" HD RPTV. Those segments never looked like that on our previous much deeper display. We also have DirecTV HD and I'm sure the picture would appear the same. It was like those pictures frames you hang on the wall with lights inside that look very deep looking from the front, or what I would think 3-D on this TV would look like. Wife thought I just wanted a new "Toy" when I ordered this set, but now she can't believe how much better this picture is over our previous 1080I screen.

Dish varies a lot, from really great like you describe to truly bad. It depends on the source program and station. We just finished Watching Extreme Christmas Traditions on the travel channel and it was great. Right after that was Disney Holiday magic Samantha Brown and its out of focus, looks like up converted SD.
post #646 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko1 View Post

does anyone know whats the failure raite on these 67 led tv. im asking because im debating whether to get a extended warrant or not. i will be getting it from best buy since i have 1100 dollars in best buy gift cards. its just that there warranty prices are very epensive

Just my opinion, but it seems that with most of these sets, if they are going to fail, they usually have an issue within the first year if not the first few weeks. I have had mine about 10 days and have not had any of the issues posted on the forums. I did not go with an extended warranty, I got the tv for $1900, doesn't seem worth $300 to $500 for a warranty on a tv of that price.
I also have a 1st gen 46" sammy dlp which I have never had one issue with, still the same bulb! But I know things are being made cheaper these days, trust me, I'm a home appliance tech and they are getting worse and worse, technology is moving too fast and nothing is being perfected!
One thing you have to remember about the forums is that you are mainly seeing people who have issues, think of all the sets sold out there that are just fine, thousands! Hope this helps...........
post #647 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 03:27 PM

If you used a CC most double the original warranty. So you really get 2 years.
post #648 of 2731 Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post

I'd like to be decisive but can't seem to pull the trigger between this TV (HL67A750) or the 63" Sammy Plasma. I have an 8yr-old rear-projection (Sony 43KPTV..Non-HD). I've been reading the threads for both sets for the last few weeks. Taking cost out of the equation, I am leaning towards the DLP set because I have a 2yr-old boy who loves to smack the screen when he sees something he doesn't like and getting the cheaper DLP. I know, crazy logic...but I've seen the 67" at Best Buy and made some adjustments to the TV as recommended by some of the previous posts and this made for a better picture; although with all the LCDs and Plasmas hanging around, it does seem duller as expected. I'm rambling but I think this 67" is a great buy especially considering that it is only $400 more than what I spent for my TV 8yrs ago (and that's not even adjusting for inflation which makes this even cheaper).
I'll wait until january before pulling the trigger on this. I can't imagine that Samsung is going to do anything significantly different for 2009 with their DLP line except maybe offer a 72" version. The Laservue, with amazingly only one real review available to date, does not seem priced fairly in the least.
I'll humbly take the award for lamest post ever. Hopefully I can redeem myself when I post pics of the TV in my Salamander Design unit that is coming next month.

I was looking at plasma too...I had heard Samsungs did not have the picture quality of the Pioneers or Pannys. Samsung's top of the line plasmas are $4k+ and then before that the cheapest I have seen for the Samsung PN63A650 is about $3400. At that price I was getting quotes at $3700 shipped from authorized Pioneer dealers for the Pioneer 6020FD which for the money would be the best plasma in that range...nothing can compare to its black levels. The Samsung plasmas are beautiful sets but for a lot more money and w/ some flaws. That is why I settled for this tv, the Samsung HL67A750 and you can tell by this forum and other reviews out there, there is very few negatives about it, a great set for a great price! By the way....Who did you purchase your Salamander from and for how much? They make some nice consoles..just a bit out of my price range.
post #649 of 2731 Old 12-21-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I was looking at plasma too...I had heard Samsungs did not have the picture quality of the Pioneers or Pannys. Samsung's top of the line plasmas are $4k+ and then before that the cheapest I have seen for the Samsung PN63A650 is about $3400. At that price I was getting quotes at $3700 shipped from authorized Pioneer dealers for the Pioneer 6020FD which for the money would be the best plasma in that range...nothing can compare to its black levels. The Samsung plasmas are beautiful sets but for a lot more money and w/ some flaws. That is why I settled for this tv, the Samsung HL67A750 and you can tell by this forum and other reviews out there, there is very few negatives about it, a great set for a great price! By the way....Who did you purchase your Salamander from and for how much? They make some nice consoles..just a bit out of my price range.

I know this is off topic for this thread so I'll keep it brief. I purchased the Salamander furniture through Direct Buy saving me about $2k+ from the retail price. I ordered, and will eventually have to put together, a Triple 236 (20" high) and Two 40" towers with 40" extensions to go on the sides. Other accessories were added for a retail total of about $6k. The design center on their website is quite good. I'll post pics in late January once everything is set up....hopefully in time to enjoy a wonderful Super Bowl..not jinxing my team.

"I Hated every Minute of Training, but I said, "Don't Quit! Suffer now and Live the rest of your Life as a CHAMPION" -Ali
post #650 of 2731 Old 12-21-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

Next year Samsung might do something different. They might exit the RP DLP market. We'll find out what their plans are at CES.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #651 of 2731 Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:

I know this is off topic for this thread so I'll keep it brief. I purchased the Salamander furniture through Direct Buy saving me about $2k+ from the retail price. I ordered, and will eventually have to put together, a Triple 236 (20" high) and Two 40" towers with 40" extensions to go on the sides. Other accessories were added for a retail total of about $6k. The design center on their website is quite good. I'll post pics in late January once everything is set up....hopefully in time to enjoy a wonderful Super Bowl..not jinxing my team.

Thanks...I am a direct Buy member too and did not know that they dealt with Salamander. I purchased a great stand for this set at BJs for $179! (great price-chkd internet...everyone wants $399 and up) It's a Z-line and looks like it was made for this Sammy! All black w/ black glass shelving! My first impressions the TV: It looks great on HD channels but not so on non HD channels. Does it not fill out the whole screen on non HD channels? I don't know if there is something I need to do further? Can someone refer me to the right page in this forum for settings out of the box?.....any firmware updates? Tomorrow, I will hook up the Panny blue ray with my new surround sound speakers w/ new Denon AVR 2809CI. That will bring the sound to life!
post #652 of 2731 Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM

If the SD is not converted to wide screen and is 4:3 on just scan, you can change the mode to Wide Fit. It would then fill the screen a little bit stretched though.
post #653 of 2731 Old 12-22-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijuremo View Post

The place refurbdeport is selling you a refurbished TV, not a brand new one. You need to compare apples to apples in terms of prices. They are selling you pre-owned equipment which failed, was repaired by Samsung (comes with 90 day warranty) and now is of course a bit cheaper because it was already used.

I agree with your comment. As I was saying that price is not always the best indicator of a seller. In this case a 1450.00 deal turns out not to be that whether refurbed or new(as in they are not selling it cheaper and are comparing themselves to a new apple). Since the price comes out very high like a brand new unit.
post #654 of 2731 Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post

If the SD is not converted to wide screen and is 4:3 on just scan, you can change the mode to Wide Fit. It would then fill the screen a little bit stretched though.

It won't look good, as pixels are magnified and I dont like missing picture information any more than I have to. Too bad we pay for a larger screen to see 4:3 recorded masters cropped by the studio for 16:9 screen viewing.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #655 of 2731 Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 AM

For those still looking for a deal on this TV (HL67A750), use coupon code CAT6OFF to get 6% off at 6th Ave electronics....Less than $1750 shipped (curbside) and no tax. My apologies if this is not proper etiquette. But this is the lowest price I've come across in some time now.

post #656 of 2731 Old 12-23-2008, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I go my 67 last week. Tried using the Digital Video Essentials to calibrate it. Was not happy with the results so I did a reset back to orginal settings. Picture was real dark. I have dish and do not have a HD reciever yet or a blue ray DVD. Should this Digital Video Essentials work ok to calibrate this tv or do you need the HD version?
post #657 of 2731 Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 AM

So I've been told with non-LED based DLP sets, the bulb has to be replaced and maintenance of the other parts is a non-issue.

On their website, Samsung is claiming 60,000+ life on these LEDs. My concern is should one of them go out for whatever reason what will the cost be to replace them? Can a service tech come out to the location and replace or would the set have to be boxed up and shipped back.

Forgive my ignorance on LED-DLP technology, but I'm curious.

Another issue I'm wondering about is availablity of parts. Are these LEDs going to be available 5 years down the road (I wonder the same thing about the DLP bulbs, but I don't think DLP pojectors are going away any time soon.
post #658 of 2731 Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post

So I've been told with non-LED based DLP sets, the bulb has to be replaced and maintenance of the other parts is a non-issue.

On their website, Samsung is claiming 60,000+ life on these LEDs. My concern is should one of them go out for whatever reason what will the cost be to replace them? Can a service tech come out to the location and replace or would the set have to be boxed up and shipped back.

Forgive my ignorance on LED-DLP technology, but I'm curious.

Another issue I'm wondering about is availablity of parts. Are these LEDs going to be available 5 years down the road (I wonder the same thing about the DLP bulbs, but I don't think DLP pojectors are going away any time soon.

If you run the TV 24/7 that's nearly 7 years of life on the LED lamp. LEDs are much more reliable and longer lasting than bulbs, so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

I believe Federal consumer law requires replacements parts remain available for 7 years after production ceases.

post #659 of 2731 Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post

I go my 67 last week. Tried using the Digital Video Essentials to calibrate it. Was not happy with the results so I did a reset back to orginal settings. Picture was real dark. I have dish and do not have a HD reciever yet or a blue ray DVD. Should this Digital Video Essentials work ok to calibrate this tv or do you need the HD version?

was the picture dark with the factory settings or after you tried to adjust? I would not think that the DVD essentials would be that dramatically diffferent.

post #660 of 2731 Old 12-23-2008, 04:05 PM

Just ordered one (61") from Amazon (what's with this 'Big River' business anyway??) for $1439 including shipping, tax, this weekend. There were a few places a little cheaper, but I trust Amazon.

I'm upgrading from a Sony Grand Wega KDF50E2000 that's about 2 years old--should i expect to see a dramatic improvement in picture quality? I'm preparing myself to not see much difference other than more real estate, but it would be nice if this thing would just pop out!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung Hl67a750 67 Inch 1080p Led Powered Dlp Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page