2008 Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP owners thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2731 Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I bought my first four HD sets online without any major problems(between 2001 and 2006). Although I did get an exchange on one of them but it was painless.
But my last four HD sets(2006 to present) were bought at B&M stores. The prices have come down alot at B&M stores so I can get a price close to the online price. Then with BestBuys 45 day return policy, Saturday and Sunday delivery(from BB and CC), it just makes it more convenient than buying it from an online store.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2731 Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The prices have come down alot at B&M stores so I can get a price close to the online price.

Or have they gone up online? Back at the beginning of July, when I was first planning on getting an HL67A750, I actually got my local Best Buy to match the best online price I could find (which at the time was pretty good: about $1850). In fact, much to my surprise, they adjusted BELOW that so that my net price after tax was $1,850, but strangely couldn't match the free shipping offered online, even though I live two blocks from the Best Buy (I think they charged $75, or somethign like that). But I shopped around a bit more, and decided to go with the Mitsubishi. Found a really good deal on one, went back to the same Best Buy, and they couldn't match that one (even though they were actually trying to match price on the next model down: they carry the 73735, I bought the 73736). Had I not ended up going with the Mits, I would have taken the BB offer on the Sammy, as it's worth a little extra to me to have the convenience/peace of mind of dealing with a local company. But several hundred is a different matter. Especially considering I've never had any problems online.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #63 of 2731 Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 AM

Liked: 11
Today I am in the ranks of the HL67A750 owner having returned the HL72A650 due to massive rainbow effects.
While I will miss the 15% larger size, I won't miss the RBE that most of my family members noticed.
It just wasn't just me and the RBE was especially bad on the analogue channels (USA & Sci-Fi we don't get from TWC) and standard DVDs.

-I just have to remember to look for geometry issues and any updates I will have to push thru on a thumbwheel drive at its side USB port, digging deep into the threads here.
post #64 of 2731 Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 AM

Greetings!

I currently own a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 (can't post URL yet) which I bought mainly due to the DVI input for my HTPC. The Westy is great but I've been itching to move up to something bigger. I've become quite smitten with the HL67A750 but I've got some concerns. For reference, the Sammy will be connected to a DirecTV HD DVR, Xbox360, Oppo 981HD DVD player and an HTPC. Overall about 60% of use comes from the HTPC, 30% from DirecTV and 5% each from Xbox and Oppo.

- I recognize the picture won't be the same as my LVM42W2 but, like a previous poster, I went to the local BB and they had the Sammy on display - it looked... NotSoGood. Is this something I should be concerned about?

- I've read some concerns with "pixel mapping" making PC use look bad and that standard def channels like SciFi or ComedyCentral look just terrible. Has anyone else experienced PC issues or can anyone comment on standard def picture quality?

- Current living room setup has viewers seated about 8' from the TV which is situated in a corner. I know there are general rules about TV size versus seating distance but what have people here found to be an optimal distance?

Thanks so much for your help and answers - it's greatly appreciated.

oMaT
post #65 of 2731 Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

this the tv support x.v.Color and deep color?

how do u turn them on?
post #66 of 2731 Old 09-13-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oMaT View Post

Greetings!

I currently own a Westinghouse LVM-42W2 (can't post URL yet) which I bought mainly due to the DVI input for my HTPC. The Westy is great but I've been itching to move up to something bigger. I've become quite smitten with the HL67A750 but I've got some concerns. For reference, the Sammy will be connected to a DirecTV HD DVR, Xbox360, Oppo 981HD DVD player and an HTPC. Overall about 60% of use comes from the HTPC, 30% from DirecTV and 5% each from Xbox and Oppo.

- I recognize the picture won't be the same as my LVM42W2 but, like a previous poster, I went to the local BB and they had the Sammy on display - it looked... NotSoGood. Is this something I should be concerned about?

- I've read some concerns with "pixel mapping" making PC use look bad and that standard def channels like SciFi or ComedyCentral look just terrible. Has anyone else experienced PC issues or can anyone comment on standard def picture quality?

- Current living room setup has viewers seated about 8' from the TV which is situated in a corner. I know there are general rules about TV size versus seating distance but what have people here found to be an optimal distance?

Thanks so much for your help and answers - it's greatly appreciated.

oMaT

1. No. Never decide to buy or not buy a TV based on what you see in the store. These places set up DLPs in spots with terrible lighting, with poor picture settings, and the signal going to them is very degraded from being split so much. Stores want to sell you the more expensive plasmas and LCDs, so DLPs will almost always look better in a home environment.

2. Honestly, this is not the best set for PC use. It has some issues with overscan and poor pic quality on PC stuff. SD stuff looks very watchable, depending on the channel. For example, the Fox College Sports channels look awful, while the ESPN standard def channel is pretty nice.

3. I am only 7.5 feet away from my 67 inch, which seems right for me. Most would consider that too close. Viewing distance is something that you may just have to experient with and decided for yourself what is best for you.
post #67 of 2731 Old 09-13-2008, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot-Yankee View Post

I've found a local deal on a brand new HL61A650 (same TV but with a standard DLP bulb) and they're even throwing in a spare bulb (because I went in shopping for the 750).

If I take the cost of a new bulb out of the equation, is the LED model still worth the extra money? Put differently, is the picture quality substantially better in the 750? Is there some other technical difference that would make me prefer the 750?

--Fox

Ive got both and I think you get a little better picture out of the bulb set.
thats my story and im stickin to it.
post #68 of 2731 Old 09-13-2008, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
I had the 72" bulb set (HL72A650) and returned it for extreme RBE that bothered me and my family's viewing.
It was at its worst with analogue cable channels, less so with DVDs and still bad enough with HD programming and Blu-ray Disc playback.

So I got the HL67A750 instead and now the colour is still very accurate, there are no rainbows.
To adjust for the smaller size screen with 15% less picture, I moved the whole HT setup a foot closer and all is fine - now.
post #69 of 2731 Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

well, the local repair guy came out Friday and pretty much replaced ALL the guts on my Samsung and the green LED is still pulsating (causing a pink hue during normal viewing). the tech, who was very knowledgeable, found that the green LED pulsated, even during the individual bulb tests. he replaced both board, the green LED chip + cable and the DLP chip itself...same problem. Samsung high level support is out of ideas (the tech talked to them while he was at my house) and unfortunately, the power has been out around Columbus here (not my house, but a lot of the area is down) including the repair shop...and the tech can't file his report with Samsung so they won't issue me a replacement TV without "documentation" . by the time i get a new set, i'm gonna miss almost a quarter of the football season! grrrrrrrr!

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #70 of 2731 Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 AM

Anyone know the box size of this? Does it arrive on a pallette?
post #71 of 2731 Old 09-17-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot View Post

Anyone know the box size of this? Does it arrive on a pallette?

NM, someone pointed me in the right direction.
post #72 of 2731 Old 09-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

OK, the 67" model is out stock at Samsung and they offered me the HL72A650 model instead...i was excited at first, but i read somewhere that the 72" models aren't LED yet...is this true? i don't want to have to replace bulbs in a year or two.

post #73 of 2731 Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post

OK, the 67" model is out stock at Samsung and they offered me the HL72A650 model instead...i was excited at first, but i read somewhere that the 72" models aren't LED yet...is this true? i don't want to have to replace bulbs in a year or two.

The 72a650 does indeed use a bulb not led.
post #74 of 2731 Old 09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post

The 72a650 does indeed use a bulb not led.

thanks. and i also saw the contrast ratio was 2,500:1 on the 72" as opposed to 10,000:1 on the 67"...so, it's probably not worth it to accept the "upgrade", is it?

post #75 of 2731 Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I personally wouldn't go with a bulb based set as I don't want the future headache of trying to source/replace the bulb. For the front projector( JVC RS1) in my theater room having a bulb isn't so bad as it's mainly used for movie nights etc.

The 67a750 is going in our game/family room and it's going to see lots of daily use and will rack up the hours very quickly. So in my case the led Sammy makes a lot of sense but if your looking for something for occasional use in a theater room then the bulb based unit may not be too bad.

As to not having any units available from Samsung directly...would they do the swap through a local retailer which has stock? Might be worth a try.

Beyond that I'm not sure what Samsung would do...perhaps a refund, or partial refund and a down grade to the 61" led model.

Good luck,
Ken
post #76 of 2731 Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post

I personally wouldn't go with a bulb based set as I don't want the future headache of trying to source/replace the bulb. For the front projector( JVC RS1) in my theater room having a bulb isn't so bad as it's mainly used for movie nights etc.

The 67a750 is going in our game/family room and it's going to see lots of daily use and will rack up the hours very quickly. So in my case the led Sammy makes a lot of sense but if your looking for something for occasional use in a theater room then the bulb based unit may not be too bad.

As to not having any units available from Samsung directly...would they do the swap through a local retailer which has stock? Might be worth a try.

Beyond that I'm not sure what Samsung would do...perhaps a refund, or partial refund and a down grade to the 61" led model.

Good luck,
Ken

thanks for the reply...that's what i was afraid of with the bulb sets. i bought it at 6ave.com for just under $1,900, shipped and no place has it for that cheap now. i am working with Samsung's support directly and they don't know when they'll be getting them back in stock. apparently, they are "approving" me for a replacement and until that process is complete (24-72 hours), they can't talk about the alternatives...even though, the first rep i talked to offered me the 72" as a replacement. without thinking about it too much, i said "sure" because i thought bigger was better...until i found out that they don't make a 72" in the series 7 model. i called back 20 minutes later to change my mind and see what else we could do...that's when i got the "we have to wait until it's approved" line.

ideally, i would like them to be able to work something out with Circuit City or Best Buy because they have the 67" in stock and they're right down the road from me.

sturmie

post #77 of 2731 Old 09-20-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is this size good for sitting 11 feet from the set???
post #78 of 2731 Old 09-20-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjerina View Post

Is this size good for sitting 11 feet from the set???

I sit 9 feet from my 67" version and I wish it was a 72" set. But most people would like to sit farther away so most likely 67" will work well for you at 11 feet.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #79 of 2731 Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 AM

Well, I finally got off the fence and purchased the HL67A750 from Amazon. It hasn't been delivered yet, but i've run into a bit of a dilemma. On my current setup, i have a dedicated center speaker that sits on top of the older rear projection TV.
Since the 67A750 is much thinner this is not going to work. I'm not in love with the idea of putting the center speaker on the stand below the tv, I think it will sit too low, and putting it in front of the tv will block the IR signal.
What i've been thinking of doing is using the receivers center preout and going directly to the tv, using the tv speakers as my center channel. I've read the forum on how crappy the speakers are on this model, but it will only be handling the center channel duties.
Does anyone else have their speakers set as the center channel? What do you think of the idea?
post #80 of 2731 Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuzeme View Post

Well, I finally got off the fence and purchased the HL67A750 from Amazon. It hasn't been delivered yet, but i've run into a bit of a dilemma. On my current setup, i have a dedicated center speaker that sits on top of the older rear projection TV.
Since the 67A750 is much thinner this is not going to work. I'm not in love with the idea of putting the center speaker on the stand below the tv, I think it will sit too low, and putting it in front of the tv will block the IR signal.
What i've been thinking of doing is using the receivers center preout and going directly to the tv, using the tv speakers as my center channel. I've read the forum on how crappy the speakers are on this model, but it will only be handling the center channel duties.
Does anyone else have their speakers set as the center channel? What do you think of the idea?

"It will ONLY be handling the center channel duties"? The center channel is the most important IMO. It contains most of the dialog. Put it on your stand and angle it up a little. While it may be low, it will sound a lot better than most TV speakers.
post #81 of 2731 Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:

As BillyBeanik stated, the center speaker is the most important speaker in a home theater system. It should match the left/right speakers for a seemless transition of sound across the front sound field. The speakers built into a TV are rarely of decent quality, and almost never would be tonally matched to your left/right front speakers.

If you are concerned that the center speaker may be too low in the rack below the television, simply place a couple of door stops under the front of the center speaker to angle it upwards towards your listening position. It is an inexpensive, yet effective, solution. I own the same Samsung TV, and that was my solution -- my previous setup was a Toshiba 56H80 RPTV with the center speaker sitting on top of the TV.
post #82 of 2731 Old 09-21-2008, 02:30 PM

If you are concerned that the center speaker may be too low in the rack below the television, simply place a couple of door stops under the front of the center speaker to angle it upwards towards your listening position. It is an inexpensive, yet effective, solution. I own the same Samsung TV, and that was my solution -- my previous setup was a Toshiba 56H80 RPTV with the center speaker sitting on top of the TV.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the doorstops and see how that goes.
post #83 of 2731 Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

If you are concerned that the center speaker may be too low in the rack below the television, simply place a couple of door stops under the front of the center speaker to angle it upwards towards your listening position. It is an inexpensive, yet effective, solution. I own the same Samsung TV, and that was my solution -- my previous setup was a Toshiba 56H80 RPTV with the center speaker sitting on top of the TV.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the doorstops and see how that goes.[/quote]

My Center Speaker sits below on a shelf in the stand. It's a Cambridge Soundworks with an angled stand similar to the doorstop idea. I'm quite happy with the sound even though every prior setup I've had always had the speaker above the TV.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #84 of 2731 Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

so, since they don't have the 67" in stock at Samsung, i was offered this 63" plasma (PN63A760) as a replacement...since they don't know when they're going to get anymore stock of the 67", should i take it? I can't really find any reviews on this model, but pricewise, it's over 2x what i paid for my 67" DLP.

sturmie

post #85 of 2731 Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post

so, since they don't have the 67" in stock at Samsung, i was offered this 63" plasma (PN63A760) as a replacement...since they don't know when they're going to get anymore stock of the 67", should i take it? I can't really find any reviews on this model, but pricewise, it's over 2x what i paid for my 67" DLP.

sturmie

sounds like very good deal
1 000 000 contrast
i would take it asap
post #86 of 2731 Old 09-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

yeah, i thought so too...the $5,400 retail price tag (compared to $2,500 for the DLP) had me leaning to take it too. i figure i'll check it out for a few weeks and if i'm not blown away, i can sell it for ~$3,500 and pick up the 67" DLP again for $2,000.

post #87 of 2731 Old 09-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Where would be a good place to find stands for this 67 inch dlp? Which are you all using?
post #88 of 2731 Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepanda View Post

Where would be a good place to find stands for this 67 inch dlp? Which are you all using?

i had one custom built since i wanted a large cabinet area at the bottom for my Rock Band guitars...came out really nice and since my buddy's Dad built it for me, it cost me about as much as most stands i found online or in retail stores.

post #89 of 2731 Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepanda View Post

Tech Craft SWBL60 - looks very nice
post #90 of 2731 Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Are you using surround sound? If so, where are you putting your center speaker? - If you have any pictures, please post.

Also, do these stands usually come assembled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot View Post

Tech Craft SWBL60 - looks very nice

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung Hl67a750 67 Inch 1080p Led Powered Dlp Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page