2008 Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP owners thread - Page 93 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 2776 Old 04-11-2015, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv4 View Post
Which guides did you find the most helpful?

I have a new DMD on the way, and am about to attempt the replacement.
I bounced between both of these, initially not wanting to pull the mounted assembly out but then doing it anyway to make things easier. Make sure to read all the comments.....the three covered screws he removes DO NOT need to be removed....eliminated the need to refocus if you do.

http://tso.bzb.us/2013/01/replacing-...-hl61a750.html

http://simpletonpattern.blogspot.com...my-dlp-tv.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2776 Old 04-13-2015, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post
I bounced between both of these, initially not wanting to pull the mounted assembly out but then doing it anyway to make things easier. Make sure to read all the comments.....the three covered screws he removes DO NOT need to be removed....eliminated the need to refocus if you do.

http://tso.bzb.us/2013/01/replacing-...-hl61a750.html

http://simpletonpattern.blogspot.com...my-dlp-tv.html
Thanks very much for the reply.

Should receive the part tomorrow and will have a go at the replacement.

Thought about a new TV, but like the way this one shows BluRays.

Here's another link I found also:

post #2763 of 2776 Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
On the phone with Samsung, appears I qualify for a free replacement chip, but not the labor. They are being vague on the labor cost, though - I guess it depends on the vendor used. Anybody have a ballpark figure? I'm still pressing for labor also, and have been transferred to the next level, so we will see what happens. Seems some are getting full cost and some are chip only.

EDIT - Oh Snap, executive support just told me to stuff it - I get no chip, no labor, nothing! Damn. Back on hold again...

EDIT2 - Doh Transferred again...

EDIT3 - 4th person, same deal. Frig this - they don't care. I'll just get it from ShopJimmy.

Last edited by 78Staff; 04-13-2015 at 10:56 AM.
post #2764 of 2776 Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 AM

Just got my new DMD installed.

Bought the chip from ShopJimmy.

Thanks for the help from "tcrews", and other posters.

Much easier than I anticipated. Pulled the light assembly and worked on it on the table. Just be sure to NOT touch the three green headed screws!

Fired up the TV and it looks as good as the day I purchased it, and needed no adjustments!
post #2765 of 2776 Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 AM

Got my chip, will be doing my 67". Did everyone use plastic glovess, or a grounding strap, or similar?

I suppose it's best to leave it off for a while before starting so no hot/warm components, etc?
post #2766 of 2776 Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
Got my chip, will be doing my 67". Did everyone use plastic glovess, or a grounding strap, or similar?

I suppose it's best to leave it off for a while before starting so no hot/warm components, etc?
I used neither. No grounding strap and no gloves. Pulled the components out, replaced the chip then reassembled. Done. It's your TV so you need to make the call on what you are willing to risk vs. effort/safety.
post #2767 of 2776 Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 AM
deg

Liked: 0
I noticed some folks said they were using heat sink paste on the replacement DLP chip, but don't see it on the videos I found. Anybody had any bad experiences or experience of any kind with that? I generally use paste on my chips that have heat sinks, but would prefer some user experience on the subject of this exact chip replacement. Thanks in advance! Doing this in a few minutes, so I really appreciate any comments.

Also, did anyone ever find a source for replacement fans? I read until I was blind and didn't find any.

Last edited by deg; 04-21-2015 at 09:13 AM.
post #2768 of 2776 Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
I noticed some folks said they were using heat sink paste on the replacement DLP chip, but don't see it on the videos I found. Anybody had any bad experiences or experience of any kind with that? I generally use paste on my chips that have heat sinks, but would prefer some user experience on the subject of this exact chip replacement. Thanks in advance! Doing this in a few minutes, so I really appreciate any comments.

Also, did anyone ever find a source for replacement fans? I read until I was blind and didn't find any.
Used heat sink paste, the tape (stock) was intact but came off too easy as it was very dry.

I was amazingly surprised at how dust free the inside of my TV was. I blew off the fans with compressed air but other than that, it was just a pull and replace chip. All my fans looked, ran great so I haven't investigated that yet.
post #2769 of 2776 Old 04-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post
I used neither. No grounding strap and no gloves. Pulled the components out, replaced the chip then reassembled. Done. It's your TV so you need to make the call on what you are willing to risk vs. effort/safety.
Did it over the weekend, took about 30 minutes. Didn't use straps or gloves, I'm pretty familiar with working on PC's etc so it was pretty strait-forward, just made sure to ground myself often on the metal frame. Longest part was removing/re-installing the screws. . Picture is awesome again. Heat sink material was still good to go so didn't have to mess with that either, although I had some on hand.
post #2770 of 2776 Old 05-23-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff View Post
I noticed a stuck pixel on my set today - when I get up close and look at what should be a black background, it looks like snow.

I've attached an image from a dark room up close to the screen with the directv screen saver on (the bright blue box showing up in the corner of the screen). You'll also see the stuck pixel.

Is the rest of the background normal or is this indicative of more damage to the DLP chip? Before I took this shot there was a dark scene playing from the DVR. When the screen saver cut on there was absolutely no change in the pattern of dots.

Thanks,

Jeff
I found a little TV repair shop here in Indy (named "Technical Service") that replaces DLP chips for a flat fee of $250. I finally got the DLP chip replaced yesterday, and all I have to say is WOW. The pictures I posted of the cloudy black background pattern is definitely not normal - blacks should be inky black with this set.

The picture quality of this TV is amazing once again. For anyone on the fence about whether to repair or replace, I give a huge vote for repairing... the picture quality of DLP is unmatched, and even with the cost of renting a U-Haul van for a day it's far less expensive than buying a TV of this size with this kind of picture.

I hope the chips are around in another 8-9 years if this one goes bad...
post #2771 of 2776 Old 06-14-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I found a little TV repair shop here in Indy (named "Technical Service") that replaces DLP chips for a flat fee of $250. I finally got the DLP chip replaced yesterday, and all I have to say is WOW. The pictures I posted of the cloudy black background pattern is definitely not normal - blacks should be inky black with this set.

The picture quality of this TV is amazing once again. For anyone on the fence about whether to repair or replace, I give a huge vote for repairing... the picture quality of DLP is unmatched, and even with the cost of renting a U-Haul van for a day it's far less expensive than buying a TV of this size with this kind of picture.

I hope the chips are around in another 8-9 years if this one goes bad...
You can count me as somebody on the fence for the last couple months after the first of many white dots appeared. I replaced the green led about a year ago so the thought of putting more money into this 67 inch weighed on me. My neighbor recently got a 65 inch Samsung 4k 8550 series and I looked real hard at it. It's a very nice set and the sharpness is incredible. If you can afford it and don't mind losing the 2 inches I can honestly say it would be a worthy successor. For me though it just wasn't impressive enough to justify replacing this one.

I ordered the chip from shopjimmy last Monday and swapped it out yesterday. As soon as I turned it on, I knew I had made the right decision. I watched Kingsman: The Secret Service last night and I don't know the technical term but the intensity of the colors seem more vibrant than ever before. There is still a real wow factor to this nearly 8 year old tv.

It may have been mentioned but shopjimmy also sells the same chip on ebay. If you do the chip swap yourself I would add you will need a rather skinny and short (4-5 inches maybe?) screwdriver to get the screws off the fan mount. Everything else went smooth.
post #2772 of 2776 Old 06-14-2015, 05:56 PM

Another friend of mine fixed his too and is blown away at the PQ. These DLP sets are amazing. Kuro what??
post #2773 of 2776 Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Another friend of mine fixed his too and is blown away at the PQ. These DLP sets are amazing. Kuro what??
Yeah, I just picked up a used HL67A750 and am now getting the settings dialed in to my preference. I have yet to get it to match the color accuracy of my Panasonic 60ST60 plasma, but it's getting closer. What I am so excited about is the complete absence of ABL on this set. The aggressive ABL on my Panny drives me crazy at times, as it will dim the screen so much whenever there is any amount of bright/white content in the image, which results in human faces being dim and dull looking. With the Samsung, there can be extreme white content with no dimming at all. Very happy so far.
Attached Images

post #2774 of 2776 Old 06-14-2015, 06:44 PM

Same set as mine. What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
post #2775 of 2776 Old Today, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Same set as mine. What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
$550. There is this guy in Dallas who finds and refurbishes Mits and Samsung DLP projection TVs, and then sells them. He said he had just put a new LED in the one I bought, and it actually looks like a new TV, both in the picture and the housing. He has two 61" Samsungs and a bunch of Mitsubishi DLPs in his garage.

post #2776 of 2776 Old Today, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
$550. There is this guy in Dallas who finds and refurbishes Mits and Samsung DLP projection TVs, and then sells them. He said he had just put a new LED in the one I bought, and it actually looks like a new TV, both in the picture and the housing. He has two 61" Samsungs and a bunch of Mitsubishi DLPs in his garage.
I'd like to find a new screen for mine. My cat scratched the lower corner... :\ I wonder if he'd sell just a screen?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung Hl67a750 67 Inch 1080p Led Powered Dlp Hdtv
Gear in this thread