2008 Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP owners thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old Today, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm sure a call to shopjimmy.com could help.

So after rediscovering this thread again I purchased a DMD chip and installed it yesterday. There were a couple of things that worried me a little but going slow and applying a little common sense should see you through it just fine.

An example is when pulling the light engine tray out my first instinct was to use a can of air to clean out from underneath/behind it. That would have sent dust up into the upper cabinet. Ok so I then grabbed a vacuum instead and was very careful.

I carried it over to the kitchen table to work (the metal has sharp edges on the bottom so get a placemat under it and watch your fingers). I followed a YouTube vid posted on here then noticed there are several of these videos. You could probably locate one specifically for your set. I found one that was very close and was close enough.

The rest was cake really. The only thing to really watch out for is dust on the lens or on the chip. I use a very bright (450 lumen cree LED) flashlight to look for any dust on the chip. This is very hard to see and worse if your eyes aren't that great. Just try different angles and you'll see them. My chip came out of the package with what looks like smudges on it and a little dust. I used a lint free microfiber and can of air to make it perfect before assembly. I then did the same with the lens.

I took this moment to open up the top cover to the large heatsink that cools the LEDs and to clean out the dust. 80% of what dust I had what on this heatsink.

Putting it back together was simple until I notice a socket on the formatter board and no cable. I couldn't remember it there was something plugged into it. After a little research online I located enough pictures to see that nothing goes there (the one just below the three fan sockets).

The quality of the picture afterward was astounding! I read here of an improvement but I was not prepared for just how drastic it was. The blacks were shockingly very black. How do I possibly describe it other than I don't think any other technology has a deeper black. That's how black it was and my new picture was glorious. Other than higher contrast from newer sets adding some "pop" to the image this six year old set can hold its own just fine. I hope to never have to replace it. It's just that good and I had forgotten just how good it is.

If this doesn't sound like yours then maybe a quick $200 will change your mind.

Many thanks to all that have posted so much useful information!

Drew

Soon...pic of my measly setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Hl67a750 67 Inch 1080p Led Powered Dlp Hdtv