How exactly would u describe the Rainbow Effect? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I notice in mainly white backgrounds I see tiny small dots of color(red/green/etc) all over the screen. My other projection TV had it as well but it was only in the middle of the screen. I was unable to get an answer about this being the rainbow effect or not. Best Buy looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them about it. I was just wondering what some of u consider the rainbow effect to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 PM

The rainbow effect occurs when your eyes move quickly across a single chip DLP display. Note that this will occur with both front and rear projection systems. What you will see is bright objects separating into the colors of the light projection system, usually red, blue and green. Someone once captured this effect on their video camera which you can see at ftp://ftp.extremetech.com/pub/extrem...ainbowClip.wmv If you have The Incredibles, run the THX optimizer video option. When you see the white circle test, you can see RBE by moving your eyes quickly back and forth. This is how it was captured in the video. If you see it easily during normal videos, you might find it unsettling. I did. I get headaches watching color wheel dlps but LED DLPs reduce the effect enough that it no longer bother me.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techdummy View Post

I notice in mainly white backgrounds I see tiny small dots of color(red/green/etc) all over the screen. My other projection TV had it as well but it was only in the middle of the screen. I was unable to get an answer about this being the rainbow effect or not. Best Buy looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them about it. I was just wondering what some of u consider the rainbow effect to be?

What you describe doesn't sound like rainbow effect (try doing a search on "rainbows") but how can you expect anyone to really help you if you don't state what make/model of TV you have? Is it even a DLP?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have the samsung 61" 650series.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtunney View Post

The rainbow effect occurs when your eyes move quickly across a single chip DLP display. Note that this will occur with both front and rear projection systems. What you will see is bright objects separating into the colors of the light projection system, usually red, blue and green. Someone once captured this effect on their video camera which you can see at ftp://ftp.extremetech.com/pub/extrem...ainbowClip.wmv If you have The Incredibles, run the THX optimizer video option. When you see the white circle test, you can see RBE by moving your eyes quickly back and forth. This is how it was captured in the video. If you see it easily during normal videos, you might find it unsettling. I did. I get headaches watching color wheel dlps but LED DLPs reduce the effect enough that it no longer bother me.

My goodness. I didn't have a headache before but I have one now after that video. I pray my tv never does anything like that
Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Well that was informative, I think I've seen the rainbow effect now! Thanks for that link, gtunney. No way I move my eyes as rapidly as he waved the camera around so I don't think it's going to present a problem for me especially with a normal display. I have run the THX Optimizer though, it's on "Finding Nemo" which I have. Will have to try it again and see if I can get some of that effect.

TD, now we've got to figure out what you're seeing. Maybe it is a form of SSE?

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

SSE - Silk Screen Effect. This is due to the texture of the screen and is supposed to help with the viewing angle. It can be lowered by decreasing the brightness and contrast, or by calibrating your screen. It is a characteristic of DLP TV's.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

SSE - Silk Screen Effect. This is due to the texture of the screen and is supposed to help with the viewing angle. It can be lowered by decreasing the brightness and contrast, or by calibrating your screen. It is a characteristic of DLP TV's.

Today I just learned about calibrating a tv. I can't believe people do all these things to an already expensive set. The lady in Best Buy actually tried to get me to purchase a 700$ power surge.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM

With my first DLP, a Sammy, I saw the rainbows frequently at first. Then they pretty much disappeared. I think that my brain adjusted to what my eyes saw. No rainbows on a Mitsu.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Today I just learned about calibrating a tv. I can't believe people do all these things to an already expensive set. The lady in Best Buy actually tried to get me to purchase a 700$ power surge.

I am not sure what you are saying, but these sets have a million settings and the stores all have them punched up to crazy levels to try and sell them with a WOW factor. No two sets come out looking exactly the same. A pro will calibrate your set for about $400, or you can do it yourself with DVE or AVIA DVDs for much cheaper.

My set went from "pretty sweet" to "HOLY SH*T!" after I used both of those calibration tools. I see SSE only when watching hockey or occasionally in video games when there is a lot of white. Otherwise my picture looks almost 3d and very realistic. I have the Sammy 6187s - the older LED model. It's crazy sweet.