HLR5688W 'Kirk' Pic Problems.. Any ideas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My HLR5688W 'Kirk' style Samsung Pedestal 56" DLP is today having much trouble displaying a clear image. The picture now seems to sometimes double.. sometimes black out a specific section.. sometimes is noise across the screen.. and sometimes seems to freeze for a few seconds.. This only first started to happen yesterday afternoon, but is now blatantly getting worse. I luckily have a Repairmaster contract and have already setup for a service call.

I thought that someone here seeing the pictures I took last night of the screen could probably tell in a second whether my problem is with the LE or possibly the DMD. Hmm...? Any input is as always much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have the same tv and am real sorry to see such a beautiful tv having problems. About the only major problem I have seen discussed on our tvs is the dmd board failing. It does look like possibly a color wheel also. But I would be very interesed in what you find out. Keep us posted after your repair guys come and good luck. Great tv!
post #3 of 12 Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Will do.. Repair guy expected to be here tomorrow..
post #4 of 12 Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 AM

I have this TV which I purchased when it first came out (in '05). It just started having problems today displaying 7 vertical bands comprised of 8 lines each, all entirely on the right half of the screen.

Does anyone know what this problem may be? Is it the DMD as well? Unfortunately, I don't have any extended warranty on this TV.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Half screen problems are sometimes the DLP chip itself failing. I believe the chip is located on the dmd board as well. Not looking good for our tvs. A guy on another thread got with Samsung Executive Customer Service about his dmd board and he was able to get them to offer him a new tv. But he may have just gotten lucky, but worth a try. Don't stop at regular customer service, they will just tell you to go away, ask to be referred to ECS and who knows what they'll do. Try to be civil and not scream at them, as the other guy said that worked for him.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid it's going to be an expensive fix. I guess I'll have to see how to get into contact with ECS.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

My service tech came this afternoon and feels the problem is directly related to my DMD failing.. Hopefully, this part will be available... Anyone who actually owns one of these 'Kirk-style' HLR5688W knows just how special these unique sets are. Not too mention that this was the first initial 1080p HDTV available.
I'll continue to post my progress as I wait to hear back from the Service tech on the availability of the DMD for the set.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-26-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Just as a comment, I was checking the price of the dmd board for our tv at www.samsungparts.com, and it looks like it's still available for about $1050 minus a rebate if they return the old board, for a net of about $700. But as far as I could tell, other dmd boards for HLR's are in the $500 range to start with. So there must something unique about our tvs (as we ofcourse suspected, due to the outstanding pic when they are well).

Keep posting, you have an audience of at least one (me) who is following your progress.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

It's always been my personal opinion that the amazing picture quality of the HLR5688 HDTV is due in some part to the placement of the projector being in the vertical base. Not too mention that this model won the 2004 CES Innovations Award.. I do hope that the DMD, while still being a bit more expensive, is indeed still available as you say.. I think these models also had more individual components as part of the whole DMD configuration. I think that Samsung realized to make the DMD board more easily replaceable on later models.. Again, I am not by any means a technician.. just based on my observations.. I have this particular set as part of a 7.1 home theater system in my bedroom and it always has an extraordinary picture. I also have a HLS6188 in my living room and a Sony KDL40XBR4 between my dining room and kitchen... But the 'Kirk' HLS5688 is still by far my personal favorite.. I expect to hear some news in a day or so from my service technician and am thankful for my deciding to pickup a RepairMaster contract a couple years ago...
post #10 of 12 Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 AM

How did you make out with the repair? I have the same tv and I like it alot and the picture on this tv is by far the best I have ever seen. Hope you made out ok.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Dont get out much?
I have the same TV, but its 720p on 56inch TV and I can tell u I seen a lot of modern TVs with a better picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary218 View Post

How did you make out with the repair? I have the same tv and I like it alot and the picture on this tv is by far the best I have ever seen. Hope you made out ok.

post #12 of 12 Old 09-14-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe that's because yours is 720p. I have the 5688 also, the 1080p one, and I agree with Gary, one of the best pictures available even tho it's 3 years old.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page