hitachi 51f59a "CLICKING" power issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok got a new one for you guys. i bought my hitachi in dec. 06 and except for football season it rarely gets used. last month i was watching a show and heard a loud "click" and the picture went black and then came right back up. after about 5 minutes it happened again, then in 2 minutes, then 45 seconds. all this time the sound never goes out, just the picture for about a second and always accompanied by the click. to me it sounds like a very loud relay. anytime i turn on the tv this pattern repeats. i checked my wall plug and no issues there. any suggestions? i called hitachi and found out the manufacturers warr. is one year, not two like i thought. is there anything i could check and replace myself? I am a service technician very familiar with electronic diagnostics, just not in this field. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 PM

The clicking you hear could be a high voltage arc. If it is, you would have to try to locate by visual. You would have to remove the back cover, turn on the set with the lights mostly off and when you hear the click try to see if you notice an arc. Just dont put your hands in there. Possible places to look would be picture tubes, high voltage lines from tubes to flyback, flyback itself, horz output transistor. Find problem first, then work on solution.

Does it sound more like a click or a snap?
post #3 of 20 Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

no, definately a click. as i stated before, it sounds like a relay clicking on and off, just ALOT louder. I'm going to go try to spot something and i'll get back. thanks for the quick reply
post #4 of 20 Old 06-29-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

ok, i took off the back panel and let it play on the antenna input and it never happened. didn't think of it before but the only time i noticed it happening was on my dig. cable which was hdmi. is that possible? i'm going to hook my hdmi back up and see if it comes back.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-29-2008, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

ok i mis-spoke. my cable was on input 3 (component). i turned to input 3 with nothing attached and it happened within a couple minutes, but i couldnt see any arc-ing. any ideas?
post #6 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Call a Service Tech before real ($$$$) damage is done

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #7 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Funny(not really) but the same thing happened to my Hitachi 51F59A that I purchased in December 2006. My wife was watching it and heard a click, and everything went out. It is still getting power(you can turn it on/off with the power button) but here is no picture/sound.

refjeep12- did you have any luck with yours. I can't get a service tech until next week.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long71 View Post

Funny(not really) but the same thing happened to my Hitachi 51F59A that I purchased in December 2006. My wife was watching it and heard a click, and everything went out. It is still getting power(you can turn it on/off with the power button) but here is no picture/sound.

refjeep12- did you have any luck with yours. I can't get a service tech until next week.

Your problem is a little different as you indicate you have no sound when it went out. Also you didn't indicate if your's came back on or not, or went out once and never came back on. There are various service bulletins for this specific chassis for the problems both you guys describe and should only be looked at by a service tech.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 PM

The only thing I previously had an issue with was a loose connection with my HDMI cable, would could cause a loss of signal now and then. Mine clicked off and never came back on. It will click on when you hit the power button and the red power light comes on but i get no picture or sound.

I have no intention of trying to fix it myself, I just don't want to get ripped off. Bad enough it's going to cost me $95 just for the tech to show up and look at it.

I only paid $800 for it new 1.5 years ago and i really don't want to put that much in repairs.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver655 View Post

There are various service bulletins for this specific chassis for the problems both you guys describe and should only be looked at by a service tech.

Are these service bulletins available? I would like to know as much info as possible before this service.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

The only thing I previously had an issue with was a loose connection with my HDMI cable, would could cause a loss of signal now and then. Mine clicked off and never came back on. It will click on when you hit the power button and the red power light comes on but i get no picture or sound.

I have no intention of trying to fix it myself, I just don't want to get ripped off. Bad enough it's going to cost me $95 just for the tech to show up and look at it.

I only paid $800 for it new 1.5 years ago and i really don't want to put that much in repairs.

IF you wnat to get a better idea of what it'll cost you, I suggest posting your question on one of the more visited F59 threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=790702 - the F59 "Tweaks" thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=687477 - the original F59 topic discussion thread

Or, the CRT RPTV centric - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695922

All 3 see daily near postings & all get frequented (the last started by) local ISF tech/CRT guru Robert Jones (AKA Mr Bob). A description of your issues posted there could get a solid answer on what the issue might actually be & what one would expect to pay when out of warranty.

As to long71's post....I assume the c-note it's setting you back to get a house call to diagnose would get rolled into/discounted from any repair cost. If a pwr supply issue, being that these sets are still readily available both new & refurbed thru online sources, the parts should not be too horrendous $$-wise.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #12 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are these service bulletins available? I would like to know as much info as possible before this service.

Not sure which bulletins macguyer speaks of, but I do know of now 2 solutions Hitachi developed for HDMI-related bugs on the F59 series. They may be what he refered to.

The first came about in early 2007 & can be found right here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...68#post9668868

This is the service bulletin Hitachi sent to it's field techs in Jan 07. The post (on the F59 Tweaks thread) gives all info from said bulletin. Basically, a simple service menu adjustmet to a particular output parameter that corrected serious HDMI handshake issues many owners were having (screen "freakouts" generally involving all solid/scrambled colors, mystery power offs, etc). These issues could happen out of the blue on ANY INPUT SOURCE, so long as an HDMI cable was inserted into the set. The service menu fix basically changed the internal software.

It's actually an easy DIY fix. I know, I posted it!

The 2nd fix was long coming & is still in "beta mode", so to speak, and has been well documented on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=842581

Even though the old service menu fix dealt with the major HDMI handshake bugs, one issue remained. HDMI fed video would sometimes (or often - YMMV) shift horizontally to the right at random intervals. The apparent solution to this issue came about recently when Hit engineers modified an F59 signal block assembly & found that whatever mod they performed cured the shifting video. They recently contacted a few owners they had on file with HDMI issue complaints (myself included). I and one other F59-er have since had the modded signal blocks installed - on Hitachi's dime--by local authorized techs & the shift problems appear to be solved.

I'd say that if an HDMI issue is the culprit, the 1st fix might do it for you (unless it's a pwr supply issue, that is, which it very well could be). I say go ahead & give the first one a shot. Instructions are given on entering the SM, finding the parameter/values in question & editing/saving the data. Nothing in this particular paramter will "screw up your TV" (within reason, of course), but one must be sure to alter ONLY those values mentioned and NOTHING ELSE!!! Follow the directions to the letter & you'll be fine.

Unless you are just too freaked out about going into a service meu, I say try the 1st fix & see what happens. If an HDMI cable is attached to an F59 running it's "old" software, that could be the problem - regardless of what input source you are using.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #13 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 PM

I looked thru the HDMI fix you posted, however I do not receive a signal from any input even just a plain coax cable attached, so I don't think I can access the service menu, correct?
post #14 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looked thru the HDMI fix you posted, however I do not receive a signal from any input even just a plain coax cable attached, so I don't think I can access the service menu, correct?

If no pic AT ALL shows up/CRTs do not light up, then no - it likely is not one of the HDMI issues. And the SM--or anything on/in your set display wise, cannot be accessed w/o visual representation on screen.

The "freakouts" mentioned in the fix instructions do state that the various anomolies clear up - at least momentarily - by turning the TV off & back on

In this case, a tech needs to look at your set. Still suggest posting your issue on the "Dont Dump your CRT RPTV" or the HITACHI 57F59A thread. If nothing else, maybe get some educated info as to roughly what is going on & if so, what to expect repair-wise.

If/when you get it running again, I do suggest the 1st HDMI fix anyway, just in case.

post #15 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks. just posted on the "Don't dump your CRT" thread. Hopefully Mr. Bob can hook me up.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 05:32 PM

I have access to all Hitachi service bulletins, service manuals, training manuals and symptom cause info. Not suppose to give out specific info as per Hitachi rules which is why I posted without specific info. As far as cost, that all depends on the repair centers rate and what they charge for parts. Really hard to even give a ball park. Plus the fact that even though there is a bulletin for some problems, it doesnt always mean that is what is wrong with your set. The bulletins are guides that a tech would check first as it is a common problem. An advantage to you would be if a bulletin had a simple solution that a non tech could preform. But I didnt see any simple solutions for your specific model.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM

Just to give you a little more info, this chassis has problems with the horz and HV sections and require some upgraded parts and some specific repairs. If your paying a tech to look at and repair your set, it should be someone able to aquire these bulletins and parts so they know what needs to be done.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2322

I posted this in the above thread, but I too just got a nasty surprise from the set I bought at Circuit City's Black Friday sale in 06.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-02-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

ok i know i havent posted to this thread in a while, i found avoiding the component inputs and using strictly hdmi and coax avoided the problem. but now after a year of VERY light use the issue has spread to the hdmi input as well. any help greatly appreciated. is there a reliable place to pruchase replacement boards online?
post #20 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Hi RFJeep - I realize that it has been 4 years since this post but I need take the chance -- did you ever fix your issue - I am having the exact same problem on my Hitachi -- It was originally purchased 07 but has been a great tv till now -- really don't wanna replace it if I don't have to. Heres to hoping you'll get this! JD
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page