Mitsubishi WD-XX735,736 and 835 Settings and Tweaks - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 809 Old 09-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so did it improve your black level at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 809 Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cid67 View Post

so did it improve your black level at all?

Maybe a little if any. It's hard to say if I would recommend it for anyone. I really didn't get a chance to test it out too much because it was so late at night after I finished. I'll check it out tonight and will let you know.
post #183 of 809 Old 09-20-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Here are a few pics of before and after installing the black velvet inside the TV. Also a pic of my setup. The whole process of removing the screen was really easy. There are 12-15 philips screws on the back of the screen and 3 on the front access panel that hold it on. The inside of the set is black but still reflective, as you can see from the before pics. After installing the velvet it is BLACK on the inside now. I'm just not sure what is causing the upper reflections on letter boxed movies since they are still there after this.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #184 of 809 Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Would you mind taking some pictures of the set in action ksbarnz?
post #185 of 809 Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili View Post

Would you mind taking some pictures of the set in action ksbarnz?

sure thing, I'll take some tonight. However, I'm not sure if digital pictures will show how the TV actually looks in person.
post #186 of 809 Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM

I have ordered the i1 LT from Amazon after it dropped to $119. I just bought the HD DVD/Combo DVD of Video Essentials but when I placed it in the HD DVD player it comes up with tons of calibration pictures but no audio to guide you thru on what to do.

So does the i1LT have detailed instructions on how to calibrate a RPTV like my Mits 65736 TV? And what else do I need besides the i1 LT and the Digital Video Essentials HDDVD/DVD?

Thanks.
post #187 of 809 Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

I have ordered the i1 LT from Amazon after it dropped to $119. I just bought the HD DVD/Combo DVD of Video Essentials but when I placed it in the HD DVD player it comes up with tons of calibration pictures but no audio to guide you thru on what to do.

So does the i1LT have detailed instructions on how to calibrate a RPTV like my Mits 65736 TV? And what else do I need besides the i1 LT and the Digital Video Essentials HDDVD/DVD?

Thanks.

Check my first post of the forum. It should give you everything you need to calibrate your TV with an i1 and CalMAN. I used the AVSHD709 disk to calibrate my set. Also you can follow this link to calibrate your TV with an i1 and ColorHCFR.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
post #188 of 809 Old 09-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

yes, you are going to need avshd709 to perform an accurate calibration because video essentials doesn't have window patterns for color adjustment. It only has them for greyscale adjustments.
post #189 of 809 Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Would you mind taking some pictures of the set in action ksbarnz

you realy should just stop looking for screenshots of these TVs it doesn't look anything like they actually look and as a result you are just deceiving yourself to believe you can get any kind of fare judgment from them.
post #190 of 809 Old 09-22-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

you realy should just stop looking for screenshots of these TVs it doesn't look anything like they actually look and as a result you are just deceiving yourself to believe you can get any kind of fare judgment from them.

Which in itself is fair comment. However, he has said that it's an hour drive to a BB to even look at these things.

So some idea froma photo, however bad, may be better than no idea at all.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #191 of 809 Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not that it is an hour drive to see them....it's an hour drive to my nearest BB to see the 735 series, which I have. The nearest BB with the 835 series is 3 hours away which is too far away. I'm just trying to get a comparison between the 835 and the 735 which noone has really done indepth and since it is 3 hours away for me to see them and that is impossible for me to do, then I can only base my judgments on pictures.
post #192 of 809 Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

But many don't feel there's any difference in PQ between the two when compared in person. At best, a picture is going to be a better judge of the quality of the owner's camera and photography skills rather than his TV. But if it's pictures you want, there are several in the Mits Diamond/735/736 thread.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #193 of 809 Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Darin, noone has ever stated (as far as I remember reading) that they thought the PQ was equal when seeing both in person. Most people could not compare them in person and I wasn't aware what/if any the differences in PQ would be.
post #194 of 809 Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

the only real difference without calibration would be perhaps a higher perceived contrast ratio do to the 835's auto iris.
post #195 of 809 Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

But many don't feel there's any difference in PQ between the two when compared in person. At best, a picture is going to be a better judge of the quality of the owner's camera and photography skills rather than his TV. But if it's pictures you want, there are several in the Mits Diamond/735/736 thread.

I agree with Cid. After calibration all of these sets will look very similar. The main difference between a 735 and 736 is the DeepField Imager, which I leave off. The 835 has the auto iris and the ability to adjust the primary and secondary colors within the regular menu. However, both the 735 and 736 colors can be fully adjusted through the service menu.

That being said, are you thinking about trading your 735 in for an 835? Have you fully calibrated your TV? If not, it makes a world of difference.
post #196 of 809 Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post

Check my first post of the forum. It should give you everything you need to calibrate your TV with an i1 and CalMAN. I used the AVSHD709 disk to calibrate my set. Also you can follow this link to calibrate your TV with an i1 and ColorHCFR.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I read this entire article yesterday and am still a little confused on the startup process. As I understand it one needs these things to do a calibration:

1) A unit like the i1 LT which I have on the way

2) A software solution like CALMAN or the ColorHCFR (would ike to know how to justify the $179 of CALMAN vs Free with ColorHCFR)

3) A DVD Disk with different screens to calibrate (I guess this is the Digital Video Essentials HDDVD/DVD or the AVSHD709 right???)

But I still have a few questions:

1) Are the three items above all I need?

2) Do the 3 items above work together easily?

3) Am I going into the service menu to first setup the greyscale before I do regular menu settings like Contrast/Brightness/Tint/Color/Sharpness, etc ???

4) When in the process do you actually do the above regular menu settings? I could not gleam this from the article you linked. And when do you set all the perfect color settings on the Mits 65736 TV's regular menu?

5) Do you have your TV on Normal, Bright, Brilliant, etc setting for calibration?

Thanks
post #197 of 809 Old 09-23-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I read this entire article yesterday and am still a little confused on the startup process. As I understand it one needs these things to do a calibration:

1) A unit like the i1 LT which I have on the way

2) A software solution like CALMAN or the ColorHCFR (would ike to know how to justify the $179 of CALMAN vs Free with ColorHCFR)

3) A DVD Disk with different screens to calibrate (I guess this is the Digital Video Essentials HDDVD/DVD or the AVSHD709 right???)

But I still have a few questions:

1) Are the three items above all I need?

2) Do the 3 items above work together easily?

3) Am I going into the service menu to first setup the greyscale before I do regular menu settings like Contrast/Brightness/Tint/Color/Sharpness, etc ???

4) When in the process do you actually do the above regular menu settings? I could not gleam this from the article you linked. And when do you set all the perfect color settings on the Mits 65736 TV's regular menu?

5) Do you have your TV on Normal, Bright, Brilliant, etc setting for calibration?

Thanks

Yes, that is all you need. I would go with the AFSHD709 disk over the DVE disk. It is free so you will not be out any additional money. I originally used ColorHCFR to calibrate my 736 but the program would constantly freeze so I ended up going with CalMAN. Read my first post on this thread and it will give you an idea of what to adjust on your TV as well as the settings that I used.
post #198 of 809 Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have either of the Mits sets currently. Just looking to upgrade and I want as big as they come and a great PQ.
post #199 of 809 Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Yes, that is all you need. I would go with the AFSHD709 disk over the DVE disk. It is free so you will not be out any additional money. I originally used ColorHCFR to calibrate my 736 but the program would constantly freeze so I ended up going with CalMAN. Read my first post on this thread and it will give you an idea of what to adjust on your TV as well as the settings that I used.

If one buys the Calman a $180 then combines the i1 LT at $120-150 then you are already over the price of calibrating once and you must still noodle out how to do this yourself. I am leaning towards doing this so I can calibrate all 3 of my HDTV's and can repeat them later. But it isn't a dirt cheap option unless you do this on several TV's over time.

If I get Calman does it walk me thru what Service Menu settings to change on all the variables inside the service menu more so than the ColorHCFR? I read the entire article but still not sure on how easy it is to setup the individual settings inside the service menu. It sounded like ColorHCFR still might require some extra knowledge about how to set things up. Is Calman doing some of this calculating that ColorHCFR is not automatically doing for you? My i1 LT should be in any day now. I have the DVE HDDVD and can download the freebie test disk. So final deal is deciding on CalMan at &179 vs the freebie program.
post #200 of 809 Old 09-24-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If one buys the Calman a $180 then combines the i1 LT at $120-150 then you are already over the price of calibrating once and you must still noodle out how to do this yourself. I am leaning towards doing this so I can calibrate all 3 of my HDTV's and can repeat them later. But it isn't a dirt cheap option unless you do this on several TV's over time.

If I get Calman does it walk me thru what Service Menu settings to change on all the variables inside the service menu more so than the ColorHCFR? I read the entire article but still not sure on how easy it is to setup the individual settings inside the service menu. It sounded like ColorHCFR still might require some extra knowledge about how to set things up. Is Calman doing some of this calculating that ColorHCFR is not automatically doing for you? My i1 LT should be in any day now. I have the DVE HDDVD and can download the freebie test disk. So final deal is deciding on CalMan at &179 vs the freebie program.

No, CalMAN does not tell you what specific code to adjust in the service menu based on TV model. It does tell you what to adjust, the high end of the grayscale for example. All of the corresponding service menu codes you need to adjust are on my first post of this forum.

ColorHCFR constantly froze when I used it. Switching to CalMAN fixed the problem If I would have used CalMAN it first it would have saved me a to tremendous amount of time and frustration. Some say that the readings between the two programs should be the same, however they were quite different for me and I thought the settings I came up with on CalMAN look much better. If you are planning on calibrating a few TV's then I think it is definetely worth the price.
post #201 of 809 Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

well I think the difference between calman and color hcfr is probably attributed to the fact that you where using crt mode with color hcfr and not necessarily that there is anything inherently wrong with color hcfr that would give you different results.

I was going to invest in calman but the cost for what you get is just to great and thy just come across a little to greedy to me. things such as limiting use to aether a calorimeter or spectoaradiometer depending on what version you get and the fact that they don't offer free updates is just to much to swallow on top of the price when there is fully functional free software out there. the only significant benefit calman has that i see is it holds your hand and acts as a tutorial where as colorhcfr assumes you already know what you are doing but with tutorials online its really a non issue. just my two cents.

if only spectacal would realize they would make significantly more money if they would only lower the price.
post #202 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 AM

TNVOL, One reason I purchased a Mitsubishi DLP is because the color controls are accessible in the service menu. They are also accessible in the Samsung DLP that I own. They are not accessible in my Panasonic plasma or two LCDs that I also have. Most TVs only provide color and tint controls in the user menu. These controls will not typically give you the control you need for an accurate calibration.
post #203 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Hello everyone, I just stumbled across this forum; I bought a Mitsubishi 65736 a couple months ago and everything has been working fine, the colors are nice and everything after I went through and popped in star wars... I used the thx patterns and everything looked a lot better, then I found this thread and used the basic settings (without going into the service menu) to tone it down. These settings are amazing for my satellite (dish network, over hdmi, output at 1080i) and now that I see the difference just these settings can make I went ahead and ordered my i1 display LT hopefully the HCFR software doesn't freeze up on me...

Does anyone know if they updated the HCFR software to fix this bug, or is it just something I will have to deal with?
post #204 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArPaNET View Post

Hello everyone, I just stumbled across this forum; I bought a Mitsubishi 65736 a couple months ago and everything has been working fine, the colors are nice and everything after I went through and popped in star wars... I used the thx patterns and everything looked a lot better, then I found this thread and used the basic settings (without going into the service menu) to tone it down. These settings are amazing for my satellite (dish network, over hdmi, output at 1080i) and now that I see the difference just these settings can make I went ahead and ordered my i1 display LT hopefully the HCFR software doesn't freeze up on me...

Does anyone know if they updated the HCFR software to fix this bug, or is it just something I will have to deal with?

I tried asking if there was an update to the software that fixed this problem over in the Display Calibration forum but did not get a response. I think there is a new beta of the software out but not made available to everyone. I also do not know if the update fixes the freezing issues. You might try posting in the forums for the makers of ColorHCFR. However you will need to brush up on your French. I think the website is something along the lines of:

www.homecinema-fr.com. (Maybe)

Regardless, you should be able to see a pretty big difference after calibration. Maybe you will have better luck than I did with my 736 and ColorHCFR.
post #205 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 PM

I had seen your post over in the forums... unfortunately I am only fluent in German and English... Has anyone else heard anything?
post #206 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

nope. just for some clarification. color hcfr doesn't totally lock up, its just when in the constant update mode it can take some long pauses.
post #207 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

nope. just for some clarification. color hcfr doesn't totally lock up, its just when in the constant update mode it can take some long pauses.

For you maybe yes. However on my set it would lock up (completely) in addition to the 2 minutes pauses. It would also lock up and not take a complete reading when taking a complete grayscale or color reading (not in constant reading mode).
post #208 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 06:35 PM

This doesn't sound good... what operating systems are you guys using? vista/xp? also what service packs vista sp1/xp sp1/2/3?
post #209 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArPaNET View Post

This doesn't sound good... what operating systems are you guys using? vista/xp? also what service packs vista sp1/xp sp1/2/3?

Vista SP1 for me. Who knows your experience might be different than mine was. The good thing is that it is a free program so you will not be out any $ if it does not work for you.
post #210 of 809 Old 09-25-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Vista SP1 for me. Who knows your experience might be different than mine was. The good thing is that it is a free program so you will not be out any $ if it does not work for you.

lol actually I will, if this doesn't work I will have to buy calMAN and be out however much that costs... if I don't get that then I will be out 140 for the colorimeter...

I have two boxes one running xp sp3 and the other vista sp1 so I will try both when I get the i1
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page