50" SXRD - Slight flickering in brightness, possible lamp problem? Need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I have year and half old Sony 50" SXRD, love this thing, excellent picture and have had zero problems with it until today.

This morning when I turned it on, I noticed while watching some HD content through my cable provider(comcast), and also while watching non-HD channels, that my TV is slightly changing in brightness, although it's very subtle, I can notice it to the point where it's bothersome. I use this unit for my consoles and PC as well, Xbox360, PS3, and Wii, as well as my gaming Laptop through my HDMI. All of these devices are showing the same symptoms as well, narrowing it down to the TV and not just my cable box. Also, I have a few of my units hooked up with component cables, and some with HDMI, ruling out one having an issue over the other.

My question, and what I'm wondering is, could this be the lamp going on the TV? Or is this something more complicated? Is there a hard reset I can perform on this TV that could help?

Since I bought it, I've kept the picture settings on the TV to "Vivid", which always looked nicer to me, while keeping all of the other settings like brightness and contrast and all the other settings to default. I'm wondering if this has had any effect on my TV just after a year and a half of moderate use. When it flickers, it looks like it's changing a few notches up in brightness, then it comes back down 10 or seconds later, almost like it's auto-adjusting itself or something. I went through the settings to make sure I didn't have anything set to auto or that anything was altered and reset the settings in the TV and it's still having these symptoms.

Anyone heard of this and maybe give me some suggestions as to what this is? I love this TV, and I hope this is nothing serious, as it's my favorite toy in the house and I need it working properly for sure.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Shawn
Newtown, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 PM

How many hours on your bulb? Others have reported similar issues and a lamp replacement did the trick.
post #3 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

how do I check the hours in the system? I know it's something like holding down "Power, Volume +, Enter, Power" or something like that.

I can't quite recall. On the top of my head, I've had the TV brand new for about 18 months.
post #4 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerking View Post

how do I check the hours in the system? I know it's something like holding down "Power, Volume +, Enter, Power" or something like that.

I can't quite recall. On the top of my head, I've had the TV brand new for about 18 months.

If it's the same as the XBR2 (which I think it is), enter diagnostics by turning the TV off, press Power, Display, 5, Volume Up and then Power again. Press JUMP to cycle through the various service menus. When you get to one called "Panel" press 2 or 5 to cycle through categories until you get to Timer. Once you're in the Timer category press 1 or 4 to cycle through the Timer subitems until you see LMP. (On the XBR2 it's the first item under Timer.) The number next to LMP is the lamp hours.

I think folks on the XBR2 forum reported a similar flashing. Turning off Power Savings fixed it.
post #5 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

thx, the fist thing I tried was to make sure the power saving mode was turned off. I'll find the hours on my bulb as soon as I get home from work. Thanks.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thx, the fist thing I tried was to make sure the power saving mode was turned off. I'll find the hours on my bulb as soon as I get home from work. Thanks.

BTW, I don't think I've ever heard of a case where flickering was caused by the age of the bulb. I could be wrong.

Also, did you try turning off the auto iris?
post #7 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 AM

My SXRD had the slight flickering problem after about 2 1/2 years. Change of bulb solved the problem.
post #8 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

well, I got into the service menu, and I've been navigating (carefully of course), and can't find the bulb hours, anyone know how to get to that section? There are a ton of options, and 3 or 4 different types of menus.

thnx
post #9 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

nevermind, found it by searching this VAST forum, damn there's a lot of posts. Well, turns out I have 4987 hours on the bulb, so about 5000 hours.

Hmmm....now the question is, is there something in this service menu that I can do like making sure that Power Save mode is off, not just the one in the basic menu?

5000 hours on the bulb shouldn't be causing slight brightness flickering, should it? I need to get someone out here to look at the set, unless I can buy a bulb and put it in myself, and hold on to this one for the future.
post #10 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just so I don't give someone else bad instructions on getting to the XBR1 lamp hours, how did the procedure vary from what I described?
post #11 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

oh, what you told me was great, that got me into the menu system, but what I then needed to know was where the info was at. There as like 1000 different settings in there.

In your opinion, should I call for service or should I go ahead an order a bulb? Is my issue common with a bulb with 5000 hours on it? What I don't understand is though, I bought this new about a year and half ago, there's just no way I could have watched that much TV or played that many games, it's basically impossible when I broke down the hours per day on average. I wonder if they game me a floor model or a refurbished model with existing hours on it. Next time, I'm checking the bulb hours, although the box it came it was sealed shut, so I never thought twice about it.

Do you know of where I can start by finding a service center or home repair tech ? I'm a bit tech savy and I don't mind putting a bulb in myself, but if the TV needs to be calibrated after install, then I'd prefer getting someone who knows what they're doing, that is, if it's a bulb issue, which I'm hoping since my Warranty is up....
post #12 of 31 Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

well, found these two threads on my issue, most say it's a bulb problem, but others have had more serious problems.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ess+flickering

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=870321

Now to order a bulb, any suggestions or would you guys/gals recommend getting a tech out to the house? What do they cost to come out? $100-150 plus bulb price?
post #13 of 31 Old 09-03-2008, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

well, found these two threads on my issue, most say it's a bulb problem, but others have had more serious problems.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ess+flickering

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=870321

Now to order a bulb, any suggestions or would you guys/gals recommend getting a tech out to the house? What do they cost to come out? $100-150 plus bulb price?

By the bulb yourself from a Sony supplier - not eBay. There are instructions for changing it in the users manual.
post #14 of 31 Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

By the bulb yourself from a Sony supplier - not eBay. There are instructions for changing it in the users manual.

So you don't think this could be something more serious? I've heard it could also be a bad transistor in the power supply as well, but no one here as stated that was there actual problem.

I've found the official bulb for about $150 bucks, but then I would have place the bulb into the lamp assembly, which looking at the instructions looks easy enough with a Phillips screwdriver. The lamp assemble is about $230, hassle free. What's your opinion?
post #15 of 31 Old 09-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:

So you don't think this could be something more serious? I've heard it could also be a bad transistor in the power supply as well, but no one here as stated that was there actual problem.

I've found the official bulb for about $150 bucks, but then I would have place the bulb into the lamp assembly, which looking at the instructions looks easy enough with a Phillips screwdriver. The lamp assemble is about $230, hassle free. What's your opinion?

Make sure you buy an OEM lamp and not a generic lamp. And it could be anything but I would start with the bulb first as you would undoubtedly need one anyway.
post #16 of 31 Old 09-03-2008, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not what I said....I am stating IF YOU BUY A BULB, too many eBay are taking their old bulb, putting them in the replacement box and selling the on eBay - so make sure you get a new one - and that does not happen from someone who only sells 1 bulb on eBay.

You do not list your model number, so I have no idea what model you have. considering what you said about $150 v $230, I do not believe its an XBR2.

For the XBR2 for example, there is a service bulletin about a flashing/pulsating in a corner because of loose tape on the lens and after seeing that tape today during an OB replacement, I can easily see how that could happen.
post #17 of 31 Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

Not what I said....I am stating IF YOU BUY A BULB, too many eBay are taking their old bulb, putting them in the replacement box and selling the on eBay - so make sure you get a new one - and that does not happen from someone who only sells 1 bulb on eBay.

You do not list your model number, so I have no idea what model you have. considering what you said about $150 v $230, I do not believe its an XBR2.

For the XBR2 for example, there is a service bulletin about a flashing/pulsating in a corner because of loose tape on the lens and after seeing that tape today during an OB replacement, I can easily see how that could happen.

Oh, my model is a KDS 50A2000 btw. Which I'm guessing is the XBR1? I'm stearing clear of ebay, I've found a reseller:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Son...ement_lamp.htm

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Sony-KDS-50A2000-XL-5200U-TV-Lamp-p/sony_kds-50a2000_xl-5200u_lamp.htm

Here's two bulbs, the latter one I'm guessing for my set. Have you heard of these people?
post #18 of 31 Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iove View Post

Make sure you buy an OEM lamp and not a generic lamp. And it could be anything but I would start with the bulb first as you would undoubtedly need one anyway.

how about the one's I quoted above? These seem to be Sony bulbs and not generic.
post #19 of 31 Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

If it's the same as the XBR2 (which I think it is), enter diagnostics by turning the TV off, press Power, Display, 5, Volume Up and then Power again. Press JUMP to cycle through the various service menus. When you get to one called "Panel" press 2 or 5 to cycle through categories until you get to Timer. Once you're in the Timer category press 1 or 4 to cycle through the Timer subitems until you see LMP. (On the XBR2 it's the first item under Timer.) The number next to LMP is the lamp hours.

I think folks on the XBR2 forum reported a similar flashing. Turning off Power Savings fixed it.

thank you so much I finally got to see my lamp hours, anyway I;m having the same type of issue right now, my set is about 1 1/2 two. I have 3,610 hours on my lamp, so I would like to know should I be worried?

Also how many hours should I get out of my lamp? Is it safe to turn the power saving off.

Again thanks so much.
post #20 of 31 Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

My 1-1/2 year old 55A2020 is still flickering a bit sometimes. Its been doing it for about 3 months now. Changing Power Savings from On (my usual setting) to Off stops it happening.
post #21 of 31 Old 10-04-2008, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

My brightness started flickering roughly 1,000 hours prior to an OB failure (green stain). The flickering got worse as time continued up to the point of being able to really detect the OB staining. I don't know if they go hand in hand, but since the OB replacement, all flickering has stopped. This makes me seriously believe they are some how related.
post #22 of 31 Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 AM

well I just realized that it was only happening while watching baseball on TBS, I didn't see it on any other channel, I know TBS HD sux big time, so maybe it was only TBS.
post #23 of 31 Old 10-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Guys,

I too have a KDS50A2000 which I bought in Sep. '06. Friday night, I was watching a DVD (PS3) and all of a sudden, POP! Well, so much for watching Red Sox vs Angels in the ALDS later that night.

As you know, no Big Box retail stores cary these babies as they're too expensive to keep in inventory. Mom & Pop TV repair shops don't carry them either.

After removing the original (Phillips UHP 100w/120w 1.0) I started searching the net for a replacement. As you know, you can get one through Sony (in what, 5 - 7 business days?) for $250 Well, I found the XL5200 through Amazon (of all places) for $88

Sony XL-5200 TV Replacement Lamp They're shipping from River Valley Electronics and are compatabile with the following Sony model numbers:

KDS50A2000
KDS50A2020
KDS55A2000
KDS55A2020
KDS60A2000
KDS60A2020

These lamps do not ship with the housing. Oddly enough, RVE sells the XL5200's for $118. But for an additional $20 you can get the housing too.
I'm not positive this is the exact OEM replacement lamp (my original has 2 numbers on it - 000003991 and 678071515. Not sure which is the P/N and which could be the S/N.

Anyways, As I'll probably receive this on Tuesday and at a substantial savings over the direct (Sony) OEM replacement, I think it's well worth any risk associated.

I'll let you guys know how it all worked out.

P.S. The Red Sox are the Angels Daddy!

"It's not that I don't like people, I just seem to feel better when they're not around"
post #24 of 31 Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM

My kds-50a2000 just went pop tonight also. It's a 2006.
All I get is the blinking red lamp light.
I think I'll go with these guys.
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Son...5200u_lamp.htm
and do just the bulb replacement.
I have no idea what my hours are with no pic.
Finn
post #25 of 31 Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Got the bulb today. I ordered it on Sat. No problem putting it in.
Works fine. Hope it lasts.
post #26 of 31 Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 PM

I replaced my lamp.
I went into my T.V settings and reset the lamp.
This is a recent screen shot of my set.

I didn't close the lamp door right the first time I powered up.
I got a flashing error, I then reset the door and got power.
Is that why I got #3 on the line that says L_Cover?
And why didn't my hours reset? or did they.
Thanks
Finn
post #27 of 31 Old 08-22-2009, 02:02 PM

I have a 2-year old KDS50A2020, which developed a flickering of brightness in the display. It happens on all inputs. Dealer replaced the OB under ext. warranty plan. Black level and color saturation greatly improved, but flicker remains. (Auto. Iris is part of the OB, so it was not the problem.
Power save on/off controls the lamp power supply; flicker stops when power save is off. Service tech wants to try new lamp power supply next.
Will post results once this is done.
post #28 of 31 Old 08-22-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, with my KDS50A2000 I ended up replacing my bulb and it fixed the flicker problem temporarily. 2 Months later, the TV refused to turn on, giving me the 9 red blinking lights. It was out of warranty and the quotes to look at it were too much. From what I found out and I could be wrong, there's an issue with the motherboards (i think the "G" board?) according to a service tech. Instead of spending 500 bucks, I went out and picked up a new LCD. Too many headaches with the set unfortunately.
post #29 of 31 Old 11-20-2009, 04:40 PM

I posted a comment 8/1/09 regarding flickering in my KDS50A2020. This is a followup to report that replacing the lamp power supply (Sony calls it the ballast) seemed to cure the problem. Set has been flicker-free for 2 weeks now.
post #30 of 31 Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread for an old tv. But, I'm having the "flickering" issue on my KDS-50A2020. The TV was originally purchased by me, brand new from Best Buy, on Memorial Day weekend back in 2008, I believe.

About a year ago, 5 days before the Super Bowl, I had my original bulb finally blow out on me. It literally exploded. As you can imagine, I wasn't a very happy camper. Anywho, I decided not to buy the lamp from Sony directly due to the $250 price tag. After many hours researching on forums and online dealers, I found that the Philips brand was to OEM part. There were many knock-offs out there like OSRAM and the like which didn't perform as well.

I ended up finding a online dealer on ebay that sold the lamp I was looking for.

Everything looked great with the new bulb. I forgot how good the picture actually was.

Anyway, on to my problem: About two days ago, I turn the tv on and notice the flickering. I tried turning it off and on again a few times which didn't seem to help. Then today, I turn it on to catch up on some shows, of course it's still flickering, but after about 10 to 15 minutes, it stops, and hasn't done it since. It almost seems like something needs to be warmed up. I'm not quite sure what's going on there. However today, I'm going to leave it on all day, and check on it to see if it comes back after time.

So, I started perusing around on the internet, and came across this site, which seems to have knowledgeable people and information on it.

As others have recommended, I looked up the hours on the lamp. It's at 1350 hrs.. Not a whole lot, and like I said above, it's only about 11 months old. I think it should last a hell of a lot longer than that. I don't know haw many hours were on the orignal, but it was about 4.5 years old. I guess I don't watch a lot of TV.

At any rate, I'm probably gonna shell out some cash for another lamp assembly from the seller on ebay which I purchased from before. I just hope this new one lasts a bit longer than 11 months. I just can't justify spending $$ on lamps every year. But at some point, I need to cut my losses and get a newer, better TV, that doesn't require a bulb.

Hopefully, it's just a bumb bulb I got. If it's anything else, it's going out on the curb.

Thanks for your time, and again, sorry for digging up this old thread for an ancient television.

Jim
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page