Toshiba 52HM84 Ballast Replacement (with large pics!) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 86 Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just came back to post a message saying I never did replace the Ballast on my TV. I kept holding off to see if it ever just stopped working altogether and to my luck the tv just started working again and I haven't had the issue since back in December, before Christmas.

That said, I just sold it last night. I am looking at getting a Panasonic TH50PZ85U plasma tv. I almost bought it last night but decided to sleep on it and read a few more reviews. I've been hearing great things about the Panasonic Plasma's so I think I'm going to get this one tonight.

Thanks again to coronad0 for the excellent how to that fortunately I never did end up having to use. I just hope the new owner takes care of my Toshiba and I hope it continues to work and doesn't give him any issues. I'm going to miss that tv but it's time to move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Has anyone had any issues with getting their lamp back after replacing the balst board?
post #33 of 86 Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 AM

is there anyway you can post how to do this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 86 Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM

Mine lasted just over three and a half years so I can consider myself luck I suppose. Order a new bulb and after replacement I forgot to put the hatch door back on but realized that and popped it on. Set started right up and all was well for a few viewing cycles. Then it would refuse to start by cycling through the powering up sound followed by the blinking green light and a restart. Then it would start up fine. It would do that randomly and finally as of a couple of days ago will not start up. The bulb looks a good as it was when new since it only has a bout 15 hours on it. So I suppose it's the ballast board. However I just read her on this thread that is you DO HEAR the powering up sound that it would not be the ballast. Did I read correctly or did I miss something.

It also seems I cannot find a Toshiba TV DLP authorized rear place in my area of Silver Spring Maryland. I mean I would actually shell out some $$$ to have a Toshiba repair person come out and do the repair in case he blows something up at least it won;t be me. I am good with my fingers and would not be afraid of replacing the ballast but I would want to be 100% sure that that was the problem to begin with.

Tried a few of the places mentioned for the ballast but many place do not seem to have then in stock.

Hope to hear from any of you all who have already gone through this.

Thanks you all.

Jtoolman
post #35 of 86 Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM

I almost began to open up the back of the set and decided to give it another go. It failed a couple of times and SHOCKER,,,,, I saw a picture!!!! I am very afraid to turn it off after several days without it. The sad thing is, I think this set barring all its mechanical problems, has a magnificent picture!!! I will probably do order a Ballast as I am quite sure this JOY will not last forever.

Thanks
jtoolman
post #36 of 86 Old 04-17-2009, 03:57 PM

Can anybody PLEASE tell me the input and output DC voltage you have on your ballast. I am in the process of troubleshooting mine and wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna blow anymore lamps.
I am currently getting 350V input and output to the lamp....

Thanks
post #37 of 86 Old 05-25-2009, 07:30 AM

I just want to thank you for this great post AND photos. The job was much easier with the pictures. I replaced the ballast of my 62HM94 using your pics and instructions.
post #38 of 86 Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 AM

I replaced the balast and the lamp powers up, but the screen goes blue with little rectangles and nothing else happens???
Any answers???
Help
post #39 of 86 Old 05-28-2009, 11:20 AM

FYI, if the blue screen happens to anyone else, the copper ribbon connector is backwards!! I flipped it around and everything works PERFECT!!!

Thanks for the post and pictures!
post #40 of 86 Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 AM

Do you remember where the resistor was? I may take a look at it myself. All of the ballast I see now are $162. I can't see spending $162 for the ballast knowing the light is going to need replacing almost every year.
post #41 of 86 Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 AM

I replaced a 1000 ohm resistor on the ballast board and that fixed mine. A lot cheaper than paying $162 for a ballast. Also, while I had the light engine out I noticed that there was a huge amount of dust on the projection lens. I cleaned it with a fine thread cloth thinking...why not. When I got everything hooked back up there was a very noticeable difference with my TV. The picture was much more crisp and sharp. It looks like new now. I was amazed at the difference after cleaning the lens, so while you have everything apart you definitely want to clean it. It might even be worth taking apart again if you picture doesn't seem to be as good anymore.
post #42 of 86 Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 AM

BTW, the resistor that was bad is R3 on the ballast board.
post #43 of 86 Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM

Hi everybody, thanks to this awesome post i was able to change my ballast and had the tv working fine for about 6 months. But then my lamp blew out and after i replaced it starting having problems again. Now when u turn on the TV it starts up just fine, but after about 2 minutes the picture goes blank withthe sound still on and then the tv shuts off, leaving the red and green lights blinking simultaneously. Then when I turn it of and on again it has the same symptoms as when the ballast was bad. So after that i unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in with the same results: picture for a couple minutes and then blank etc.

any ideas what this is? i took out my ballast again and looked at it. It seemed fine and when i put the tv back together it was still doing the exact same thing. Is this a light engine issue?

-thanks
post #44 of 86 Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Hey Coronado,

I just wanted to thank you SO much for posting your detailed instruction & photos on replacing a Toshiba DLP ballast.

Our stupid TV has blown two of them in 4 1/2 years (plus 4 bulbs!) and I just don't have the $$ for another expensive repair. Anyway, after finding a ballast on-line (which is getting to be VERY hard to do) I sat down with your excellent instructions and repaired my set. I have no experience at all, but your instructions and photos were very easy to follow and the set works fine now!

BTW, while searching for the ballast, I found another guy with the same problem, and sent him the link for your DIY guide. He was successful too.

It was really a kind thing to do and you've helped a lit of people. THANK YOU!!! You're my hero!

Charlie La Pat
post #45 of 86 Old 09-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Coronad0,

I replaced the ballast few months ago. My TV went bad again. This time only the red light flashing 43 times then both red and green light flashing together. I paid $17 from online service. They told me it's not lamp problem and I need to let Toshiba tech person to fix it. I have my 52HM84 for 4 to 5 years. So I thought it's not worth to fix it then I tried to replace the ballast again. But you are right, the copper ribbon cable is VERY hard to put it back. I end up broken the pin. I don't remember how I removed the screws from ballast last time. Sorry, I don't mean to blame you for removing the copper ribbon cable. This time I can not put the cable back and I believe I broke the pin. Do you know how I can replace the cable and set since pin already broken?

Thanks,

Frank
post #46 of 86 Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 PM

I just replaced the ballast on my Toshiba DLP 62HMX84 - followed Coronad0's post (THANK YOU!!).

One problem....when I started up, the green light stayed on, red blinked........"Lamp door not seated properly". Upon further review, I found a blue and white wire attached to the safety relay (switch) at the door area. This wire was a bout 15" long and had a 3 hole connector at the end.

Obviously it needs to be connected SOMEWHERE?

Does anyone know where I can make this connection?

THANKS!!
post #47 of 86 Old 09-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Thanks coronad0!

You just save me a bunch of money.

For what it's worth, the part was on back-order at Conn's. I found that https://www.encompassparts.com/ had several in stock.
post #48 of 86 Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 AM

My 52HM84 has been acting up lately. It "flashes" between light/dark every couple seconds and then it looks like the light wavers a bit (is not steady). I think it could be dust on the color wheel.

Is it possible to use an aircan to blow out the area?

I just replaced the lamp 2 weeks ago (3 years on the first lamp, 2 years on the second). I cleaned the inside of the lamp area, including the glass covering the color wheel area.
post #49 of 86 Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM

I just replaced the ballast this past Thursday using this guide as a basis on my 62HM95 but still the bulb will not power on. My light engine sled looks a bit different from the one in this guide but I am positive I reconnected everything correctly. Is it possible the bad ballast board I replaced killed my new bulb?
post #50 of 86 Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM

I just got done replacing my ballast and the TV is working like new again. Awesome! No more leaving the TV on overnight on Friday or Saturday night (or both) so that I wouldn't have to sweat it out the new morning before the football games start.

The challenge for me was finding one for less than $150-$160. I had some ordered in the $100 range but they were backordered. Partstore.com finally got some in stock this week. $92 with tax and free shipping. Not quite the $50 refurbs but still worth it since it worked! If this didn't work it was probably $1200 for a new plasma.
post #51 of 86 Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 PM

Coronado,

I doubt you check this thread anymore, but I wanted to write to thank you anyway. I have no technical experience (or general comfort tinkering with electronics), and I successfully repaired my Toshiba DLP tonight by following your excellent instructions. THANK YOU!!
post #52 of 86 Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Coronado, Thanks for the post and pics, AWESOME ! My tv had sound and no lamp lighting up, so I bought a new lamp but still the same. It was flashing 9 green and red light stayed on. I bought a ballast and used these instructions to replace it. Now green stays on and red light flashes constantly and tv doesn't start. There is a fuse that i located and is good and I bypassed the lamp door switch so power should be on.
I was wondering if there is a reset or something that I can do. I cannot afford to spend any more $$ on this Lemon.
Any help appreciated.
post #53 of 86 Old 02-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Does anyone have the pictures for these instructions? Looks like cornado0's account at photobucket.com expired. I am in the middle of replacing the ballast and could use the pictures.
Thanks for anyone who saved it and can send it to me.
post #54 of 86 Old 02-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Tiger7 what's your email - I think I have a MSWord file that includes the pictures from Coronado
post #55 of 86 Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 PM

I HAVE A BALLAST BOARD D4456M-01 and check the r33 and the cr1
the r33 is good but the cr1 is bad it look like a diode but it says gv258 on it i cant find any on the internet about it please help
post #56 of 86 Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM

Great Forum!
I am a first time user and those of you experienced types will think me a genius or an idiot, probably the latter; however, after I pulled the 9 month old LAmp TB25-LMP and wasn't surprised to see the bulb was gone again, I started looking for an alternative to 225.00 bulbs ( this is Canada ! ). I searched and searched and nothing. I then got the great idea to hit the local hardware store pickup a 75w par 30 flood light ( the exact size of the old one) and a screw on type socket with pig tails. I cut the wires from the old light to salvage the connector and wired them together. Guess what !! it actually worked @!! well it worked for all of about 10 seconds (lights, colors, sound everything) and then the screen went black, the sound remained, and the cycle of screen on and off continued for about 9 attempts and then it locked out I guess.
I have read alot here on this forum and at first I would have thought my ballast has died, now I am wondering about this thing called a light engine ??
Can someone please tell me what the ballast does ? and what does the light engine do ??
I have had the whole tray out and was going to hard wire in somw 120 volts to the bulb but I figure I would get stuck with the cycling on and off and maybe a loss of temperature protection.

Sorry for the long read - but I am ready to scrap this thing and use it as Snow Slide !

Thanks

Newf14
post #57 of 86 Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 AM

Ugh the pictures have gone away!

Would anyone send me the instructions that have the pictures, please?

samreno@gmail.com

Big thanks in advance!
post #58 of 86 Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 AM

BTW, I recently bought a new ballast from partstore.com for $164, which came out to $190 with shipping and tax.
post #59 of 86 Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 AM

Hi guys,

Great thread, I love the step by step on how to replace the ballast!

My question, I just received the Toshiba 62hmx84 as a free tv from my parents who are sick of replacing the bulbs every year or so. I am trying to figure out if this sounds like a ballast issue maybe: The tv will turn on after cycling through the blinking green lights about 3 times. I can hear clicking in the back of the tv and the fan starting up as well as light through the vent. If I try to run the tv in HI BRIGHT Lamp Mode then the screen does not hold the bright picture consistently. You can see the bright parts of the picture like the color red go from bright to dark every second or so.

There seems to be a lot of experience with these tvs on this forum/thread, so if anyone has had these symptoms and knows the fix, their wisdom is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
post #60 of 86 Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 AM

Almost two years after the original post and still another successful fix. Thanks to coronad0!! I was unable to find a new ballast board for under $140. I did however discover ModusLink PTS. These guys will repair your board for about $50 plus shipping. Excellent service and great results. Had my board back within a week. Check them out on line.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page