Please help me replace my screen on my Sony HDTV. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Guys.

I have a 3 year old Sony 46" HDTV. Model KP46WT520. I got some pretty big scratches on the screen and I'd like to replace it. I contacted Sony and they told me that parts I needed were

Item - ( PLATE (46WF), DIFFUSION ), 205942021, $135.11 ea.
Item - ( PLATE (46WL), DIFFUSION ), 205942121, $87.78 ea.
Item - ( SCREEN (46W), CONTRAST ), 409094301, $76.15 ea.

I suppose all I need is that last one, but I don't know.

Also, how do I go about getting to the screen? I took all the screws out around the upper body of the TV and it'll almost come out, but something is holding it on the bottom and I can't figure out what it is.

Please help me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older version of that TV (KP46WT510), which I presume to be very similar but a year older. When I first got it, I took it apart and lined the interior with Duvetyne and replaced the plastic screen with a non-glare glass screen. Unfortunately, that was five years ago, so I don't remember the details, but I do remember the bottom being hard to get off. I hate to tell you this and be wrong, but I'm pretty sure brute force was the fix. I THINK it had those springy clips similar to what you might find holding on some panels in cars. I think there were several of them, and you have to work your way towards where you can tell one is, then try to pry as gently but firmly as possible while trying to contain the force to the area right around the clip.

But once you do get the front panel off, the other three screens are taped together as one, then attached to the front bezel (can't remember if it's screws or clips). You just need to undo the tape around at least three sides, then open up the sandwich. Yes, the "contrast" screen is the outer screen. FWIW, in case you're interested, I replaced it with a non-glare glass that you can find at framing shops. It's a smooth surface, but it has some kind of (metallic?) coating on it that reduces reflections. It gives the glass a green cast to it, but it's really the reflections that are green, not the light that gets passed THROUGH the glass. It made a big improvement in glare, and it was also nice having a hard flat screen instead of a flimsy wavy plastic one.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I knew I had posted somewhere about taking that TV apart, it just took a while to find it. Look here (I'm dscline there). You may be interested in reading some of the other posts in that thread, since it's pretty much about taking that TV apart. But essentially, what I posted above was correct (sometimes my memory does work, much to my surprise). Also, the glass I was talking about is called Denglas. I had taken some pictures of it for that thread, but I think I've cleaned up my web space since then.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Old 10-01-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oh My

Thank you so much. I heard this place was helpful, but I've never had to post here. I guess all those people were right.

Your post was incrediably helpful. I'll look into the Denglass.

I think I'll go ahead and replace the screen with either the plastic thing or the glass. The contrast screen is only 82 bucks after shipping. I was planning on buying a new TV and selling this one because the stupid scratch / blemish thing is bugging me so much.

Thanks so much. You saved me a lot of money.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 AM

I hate to necrobump an old thread, but I've got this exact same TV with the exact same problem. I'm not sure that my screen is as bad as the OP's, but i bumped a lamp that fell and put a good scratch into the screen. From looking at the TV parts list (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=), I can definitely see that I'll need the screen (Part 3 on diagram), but do I need the other two parts listed in the OP (the plates / part # 4 + 5)? Also what was the cost of the 'Denglas' versus just buying the screen part itself? I'm not really interested in maximizing quality, just trying to get this thing fixed for as cheap/quick as possible to either keep as a spare TV in the garage or sell on Craigslist.