Well it was glued in the center and it is now broken smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is an old post, but I gotta tell ya folks -- it works. I used the qtip and WD-40 and it worked like a charm. Wish I seen this post about 8 hours ago because I just ordered a new fan. Thanks for the help.
post #63 of 90 Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 11
fixrupper....
I think I love you! After a super bad day/week, my tv stopped working.
dreading the though of having to buy a new one
and wasting an hour on chat with sony....I ran across this post, and WA-LA...
followed the easy instructions and my tv works again.
biggrin.gif
thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!! may many good things come your way!
Esther Bautista likes this.
post #64 of 90 Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM

Thank you!!! very much... my father is a retired electrician and didn't think it would work, but it did..really appreciate you posting this, saved us a lot of trouble
Esther Bautista likes this.
post #65 of 90 Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM

I have tried cleaning my fans and I tried the above recommendation. It works oft and on. How would you know what fan to replace? I read this tv has another fan behind a circuit board. I am not sure I want to tear it all apart. Can you tell me what the correct fan is to replace? I was going to replace the one you mentioned. Its either pay about 130 ish to have the repair guy do this or order a fan and try to do it myself. I like this tv but it seems the newer flat screen one have less problems. But for now its still more cost effective to repair this one. Thank you for the suggestion. It works sporadically for me. It would help if I had my vacuum back! smile.gif
post #66 of 90 Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM

WOW this is perfect works like stated without any problems had TV backup justbefore the big game tonight

thanks so much
post #67 of 90 Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Thank you so much for the information it saved us a bunch of money.
post #68 of 90 Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 PM

This really works!!!! I had purchased a new 'lamp" thinking that was the problem........wish I had this before!
Thank you very much!!
post #69 of 90 Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 PM

I found this thread in desperation when the old KDSR50XBR1 went Tango Uniform with 4 blinking red lights. I tried to resuscitate the fan but broke it when trying to remove the fan blade from the motor shaft. I found a replacement Sony fan on Amazon for $19.95 and decided to take a chance --- 2 days later the fan showed up and Voila - the TV works fine now. Amazing!
post #70 of 90 Old 05-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Awesome!

I Google searched this fix when I got the four red lights. Another forum saved me a bunch of money a couple of years ago on three red lights.

This TV has been through a lot over the last seven years. The whole $1700 fix for the optical block Sony covered out of warranty sold me on them. the things just run to hot, and collect way too much dust.

However, Costco has some cheap Samsungs so I may get a new one anyway and switch this to the other room.
post #71 of 90 Old 05-12-2013, 02:56 PM

ugh, not fixed completely, just went out again...

more cleaning
post #72 of 90 Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM

So no one on this thread opened their display to find no fan? Dafuq is this ****? I could care less if this thread is old. Where is the fan on a cechzed1u?
post #73 of 90 Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 AM

Joined just to say Thanks! I was looking for a solution to the 4 blinking lights on my KDE-37xs955 and gave it a shot. This model has 6 fans (3x60mm and 3x24mm) that were uber-clogged with dust and kitty hair. Cleaned, vacuumed, good as new! Bought the thing from a friend earlier this year for $100, wasn't about to spend more on a 8 year old TV, now Mom can watch her movies again.
post #74 of 90 Old 08-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked: 12
I did this fix but it only worked for a few months and it is doing it again. The fan was very clean and there was not much to clean I am wondering if I need to replace anything. Has anyone had this issue where they cleaned the fan and it worked just for a few weeks/months and then did it again?

This TV still has great sound and a great picture but I don't want to have to play this game all the time as it is a bitch to move everything away from the wall.
post #75 of 90 Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 PM

I wanted to post that fixing the fan does work! I initially thought that it was my bulb and purchased two extras. I put the new bulb in and nothing. My tv still had the four blinking lights! I followed the directions given by fixrupper step-by-step and found the fan to come apart easily from the housing, attached with what seems to be a magnetic mechanism as stated. I must admit that the fan was not as dusty as I expected it to be and did not look like it was the obstruction. But the spindle on the fan seemed very stiff when I tried to rotate the fan while holding the spindle. After vacuuming the fan, I put some oil on the spindle base and spun the fan with my finger for about 30sec. I then noticed that the fan spun much easier about the spindle. I replaced everything, screwed everything in and turned the tv on. It worked! I must admit that I was shocked but I am very happy too. In my case, the spindle was not moving well as opposed to being very dusty. Oiling the spindle was key, I think. Thanks very much fixrupper! You saved me a good deal of money.
post #76 of 90 Old 10-02-2013, 09:55 PM

HELP!  This is what I've done...

- Started with replacing the bulb (it was obviously broken...looks like it popped).  This is the 2nd time I've done this so I'm a pro.

- Still got the 4 blinking lights.  Found this post and pulled out the fan.  When I attempted to pull it out it broke.  The plastic was super brittle.  TV is 7 years old so that's expected.

- Ordered new fan.  Installed new fan.  TV still shuts down after 5 secs and get 4 blinking red lights.

Suggestions?  I'm guessing it's another fan or else a bigger issue. 

post #77 of 90 Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 PM

I am so grateful for your post. I did exactly as you described after I verified the diagnosis. It worked!!'

Thank you so much!
post #78 of 90 Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 AM

Just fixed my KDS 55a2000 using the instructions.

getting to the lamo fan was trickier than expected......lots of wires to unclip and get out of the way so I could get the fan housing out and apart.  But if you are careful and methodical its not too hard. fan does come apart easily to clean and oil the bearing

sadly it only works sometimes and it looks like I will need a new fan...but having done it once it will be an easier job to fit the replacement fan.

post #79 of 90 Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM

Thank you! Thank you!  It worked!!!  Saved us money!  We did what you said to do.. and the fan started right up.  Thank you!!!  Wanda

post #80 of 90 Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 AM

Hi there can you please help me to lactate the fan just can not find it thank you 

post #81 of 90 Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Hi all, excited to find this thread but then saddened when I too couldn't see a fan. I have a KDL- 32U4000 sony tv with the same "turn on for 1 second, then jump to standby and 4 blinks, 2 second gap"

Took the tv apart as I'm no stranger to electronics but there is no fan.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
S
post #82 of 90 Old 12-17-2013, 06:28 PM

I followed the instructions and it works now. Thanks.

post #83 of 90 Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Going to try your fix, after taking our TV to BestBuy 3 times already to have this done, at $100 a pop. Much less using a ****** TV for a month while we wait to get it back.
post #84 of 90 Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FIXRUPPR!!.     I hav a Sony WEGA KDF-E42A10 HDTV  (2005) .    Red Light standby  was blinking 4 times, pause, then  repeat   I followed yor insructions.   My big fan ws ok, but the litte fan by the projctor lamp was not turnng.  I cleaned both with my vacuum cleaner, and althought my fan was a little different (no mangets) I used a Q-tip with WD-40, and it seemed to help, but the fan would squeak, then quit, .and the tv picture would go off, and the light would blink agan. 

I took the WD-40 and sprayed where the wires connect to the fan, with the TV runing,  YES!!!    I has ben an hour, the fan is still working, and not sweaking any more; and,  best of all, I have a functional TV without having to buy a new one, or have it repired.   Thank you, Thank you, Thank You.

PS:  I'm a 65 year old female, and not too technically inclined...You saved an old lady some money......Thank You

post #85 of 90 Old 03-08-2014, 01:50 PM

OK...taking the fan out and cleaning it was not good enough. BUT, the WD40 in the spindle hole did the trick. Who knew. Awesome! Thank you so much. For skeptics (based on reading this thread) I have been a member here for a long time, just not a poster very often and am an obvious owner of this television.

Cheers!
post #86 of 90 Old 03-29-2014, 01:38 PM

You can use any 120mm PC case fan from Best Buy or your local computer store... If you can splice wires you're 5 minutes from replacing your fan for less than 10 bucks and a trip to town. Cut the Red and Black (+ & -) from the new fan, and also cut all three wires from the old fan from its wiring carriage. Connect the black wire from the carriage to the cut black of the new fan. Then connect both the gray and the blue wires from the carriage to the cut red from the new fan. Solder, tape, or otherwise shield the new connections and plug the old carriage into its female end and you win. You're on your own to get the fan out, but it's really not that hard. It cost me 8 dollars total, took less time than cleaning, and was well worth the fresh bearings.
George Cifranci likes this.
post #87 of 90 Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvollbrecht View Post

You can use any 120mm PC case fan from Best Buy or your local computer store... If you can splice wires you're 5 minutes from replacing your fan for less than 10 bucks and a trip to town. Cut the Red and Black (+ & -) from the new fan, and also cut all three wires from the old fan from its wiring carriage. Connect the black wire from the carriage to the cut black of the new fan. Then connect both the gray and the blue wires from the carriage to the cut red from the new fan. Solder, tape, or otherwise shield the new connections and plug the old carriage into its female end and you win. You're on your own to get the fan out, but it's really not that hard. It cost me 8 dollars total, took less time than cleaning, and was well worth the fresh bearings.

I tried this with a Lian-Li 120mm case fan I had and sadly it worked for a few minutes and then the screen went black and the standby LED blinked RED 4 times which indicates a fan issue. After doing a search in the official " Official 2005 Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 SXRD Owner's Thread" a standard 120mm PC fan isn't powerful enough and probably can't extract enough heat. I think the original fan was around 75 CFM (cubic feet per minute) and was 0.24A. The Lian-Li fan I used was 0.08A which probably means the CFM rating was around half that. I know they make PC fans with different CFM, so if I used one with around 75CFM then it probably would have worked.. If the fan doesn't move enough air then after a while the TV senses too much heat and shuts off. I have an official replacement fan coming tomorrow and I will try it and see if that does the trick.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/584936/official-2005-sony-kdsr-50-60xbr1-sxrd-owners-thread

UPDATE: I got the official fan replacement that I bought from a dealer on Amazon and it is working great.

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #88 of 90 Old 04-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Worked great on myKDS-R50XBR1. Thanks for the post!

post #89 of 90 Old 06-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Liked: 0
still keeps blinking...

I still get the 4 blinks even after removing all dust, plugging directly into the wall in lieu of surge protector, I even replaced the large fan with a new one.

Both fans spin without any problem but the TV will still turn itself off after about 8 seconds.

I would really appreciate any other suggestions to get this thing running again!!!

sony KDS r70xbr2

Last edited by diabolicscheme; 06-24-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added model #
post #90 of 90 Old 09-06-2014, 10:33 PM

Liked: 0
Yup - i took the extra 10 min to register and say - it worked!!! We had the 4 red blinks on the 60 inch SXRD. My husband and i did exactly what you said in the fan and the tv is running like a charm. Took about 1/2 hour end to end. Thanks a bunch - and it cost $0. High five!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page