Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I own a 3 year old SONY KDF-E50A10.

It was working fine yesterday and today when I turned on the tv, I got no picture whatsoever. Just a steady flashing green light.

Does this mean I need a new bulb?

Thanks for any help you can give
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Buggy.

Try unplugging the unit for 10-15 minutes. Plug it back in. That worked for me.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Hey Buggy,

sometimes this is a problem with the tv that gets progressively worse. I now have to wait an hour and a half before my tv starts up when I turn it on. At first I thought it was a lamp which I replaced but did not fix the problem.

If you go to the sonystyle website and click on support, type in your model number and under "important news" (or something like that), you will find out that some of the KDF E50A10's have a systemic problem that require a free update. You then type in your serial number into the website and they will tell you immediately if you need the update or not.

If you do, you can schedule a service call through the website. I should mention that I have had horrible luck with Sony's support, granted I do live in a rural area but after the repair guy no-showed for our service call, it's taken me 4 phone calls and three emails to get to the point where they are calling me back. Strange, we are a sony family but potentially no more!

One other thing that Sony recommends (in case your tv does not need the upgrade), is to make sure the tv is plugged directly to an outlet and not through an extension cord.

good luck!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post

...sometimes this is a problem with the tv that gets progressively worse. I now have to wait an hour and a half before my tv starts up when i turn it on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyman View Post

...i got no picture whatsoever. Just a steady flashing green light.
Does this mean i need a new bulb?

lamp
post #5 of 9 Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Thanks Hammer,

not in this case, it's a technical fault that requires an update by Sony's service provider. The first thing I did originally was replace the lamp to no avail, it was only after I wasted that money that I got on the website to find out that this was a specific problem with a specific fix.

I should mention that I am now 2.5 weeks into this problem. I live in a rural area and as a result had my scheduled service call no call no show. I've been in contact with Sony support 4 times to no avail and am now up to the regional manager level of their support contractors. I've offered to have them send the update to me so that I can install on my own, download from web, etc. they have been absolutely brutal to deal with. 3 days to make no decision. I have to say that we have always been Sony supporters, I believe that mistakes and technical problems happen but how they are recovered from define us. We will no longer be purchasing from Sony
post #6 of 9 Old 11-09-2008, 06:39 PM

I've got the same problem...green blinker/wont turn on...went to SONYs site...enter serial #, tells me does not require the Software update.

is there no way they'll do this "update" if the serial # doesnt fall into the range of affected sets? it clearly has the same symptoms...
post #7 of 9 Old 11-10-2008, 01:58 PM

well update time...

finally reached some knowledgeable folks, in my particular case the update would not work, apparently I now need something called a "B Box" at a cost of $1000 plus repair, yeesh.

Got so upset with Sony and their lack of support that we went out and bought a new Samsung LCD, will not buy another Sony which is too bad. I always knew that I was paying for the name but thought that it also had some credibility. I certainly understand that problems occur, but their (lack of) response was so appaling that we are done.

oh well.

Regarding the update though, I did have them convinced to simply have them fedex it to me and then I would do it myself since I'm rural. Perhaps you can do the same?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post

well update time...

finally reached some knowledgeable folks, in my particular case the update would not work, apparently I now need something called a "B Box" at a cost of $1000 plus repair, yeesh.

Got so upset with Sony and their lack of support that we went out and bought a new Samsung LCD, will not buy another Sony which is too bad. I always knew that I was paying for the name but thought that it also had some credibility. I certainly understand that problems occur, but their (lack of) response was so appaling that we are done.

oh well.

Regarding the update though, I did have them convinced to simply have them fedex it to me and then I would do it myself since I'm rural. Perhaps you can do the same?

yeah ive always been ok w/ spending a little more for SONY but instances like this ruin it all...

how did they come to the conclusion that you didnt need the update over the phone? just by the serial # or some troubleshooting?

ok last question...how do you apply this update?

thanks for responding & good luck with the Samsung!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-19-2008, 03:56 PM

sorry for the delay. they told me that I will still require the update but based upon our other challenges that we had to do the other replacement first and then the update, so it is more a timing thing I guess.

Love the Samsung, now that I've cooled down a little planning on at least contacting Sony again and see if I can work a deal on repair or sending me the products since I'm pretty rural and using in the basement. We'll see.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page