My brother will sell me his Panasonic 61" for a good deal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-11-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is a Panasonic PT61LCX35. It is 61 inches but it's only a 720p native. Should I go for it? What is the track record for these televisions? Are they reliable and good quality? It is a name I generally trust, and I know Panasonic Plasma's are highly reguarded. I have a toshiba plasma, 42 inches, with a whole mess of problems. No matter how I calibrated the thing, it always got bad IR, and now there is sidebar burn in. It also has a red dot problem all across the screen.

Anyhoo, should I hold out or go for it, I mean I have never seen a screen that big. And it has a stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I ceretainly do not reccomend that anyone get a 720p 61" TV unless they will be sittinb so far from it (18' or so) that 720p and 1080i TV and 1080p BR DVDS will not look grainy when dispalyed at 720p by eliminating half of their detail.
If you want a 61" RP HDTV then I would suggest the Samsung 61" full 1080p LED unit since it does not have a bulb that has to be replaced every couple of years and the current prices are very resonable.
Yes Panasonic plasmas are popular however the unit you are considering is a bulb based LCD RPTV whch is a type of unit no longer manufactured by any vendor.
However if you can get for a couple of hundred $ it may be worth it untill you can afford a full 1080p HDTV.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well, I did finally get the TV, and so far I am happy with it. It has regular cable plugged in, through Coax. Standard picture is about the same as an old 50" I used to have. It has a whole set of features that reduce the grain and help some channels that have a poor signal. I do get high definition local channels, and they look as I expected. I did need to tweak the settings, the default setting had halos around every object and was pumping too much light through the screen so much that I could see screen grain.

My main gripe is the black levels, which are very subpar. However, It's not like I paid a pretty penny for it, and I don't expect much considering he got it new a year and couple of months ago for like 1100 dollars.

All in all, 61 inches is enough to impress the family, and I am perfectly happy. It has alot of inputs which suprised me, even 2 HDMI's, a front Video input, antenna, cable, the works. The speakers are actually better than most of the TV's I've experienced, but the interface is crappy. No program guide and slow channel changing. I wonder, however, when I will need to change the bulb.

I do have a question, however, and that is, what is the Difference between 3LCD and DLP? Alot of cheaper DLPS have the same problems, I was wondering why one technology is obsolete and one isn't.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
A 3 dlp RPTV has a red, a green, and a blue LCD panel and the 3 of them are physicaly configured to display all at once with a bulb based proector. You can google on DLP to find out how DLP RPTVs work.
I don't understand what you mean by " a lot of DLP tvs have the same problem".
Are you referring possibley to the fact that HD resoolution digital technoly tVs such as plasma, LCD, or DLP all will have poor quality it you are using a SD 480i coax interface instead of a true HD resolution source such as cable or satellite.
I believe RPTV price wars are the reason LCD and LCOS models are no longer made.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page