White spots on my Samsung, how do I clean the mirror? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung HLS5086wx-xaa and over the past few weeks I have noticed a number of little white spots that look almost like stuck pixels only they are of varying size and shape but no bigger than a milimeter or two. After some research I have determined that this is from dust on my lens and mirror due to living in a dusty climate, having the set near a salt water fish tank, and smoking in my home on occasion.

My question is, how exactly do I get to the mirror and lens to clean them? Is there a page with a guide or perhaps some pictures explaining it, or a service manual out there of some kind? I am a bit leery to open up my tv and just go poking around for a grimy lens and mirror. Any help or experience anyone has with cleaning a dusty and smokey lens/mirror or there TVs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
While the lens and mirror probably do need occasional cleaning, the symptom is more like dark spots in the picture not white spots. Are the edges of your "white spots" sharp and well defined or are the edges fuzzy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

They are sharp and well defined but, while they are solid white in the center, the bottom left part of each one is reddish and the top right portion of each one has a green tint to it. This is very subtle and I didnt notice it until I got up to closely inspect just how defined the edges are. There are more today, and they moved since dusting the outside of the TV last night.
post #4 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

There is also now one spot that, only when the screen is black, i can see it flicker on and off ass if whatever is causing it is moving around. Im gonna take the back of the TV off and poke around but i'd rather have some kind of picture reference as to where all the screws and pieces are, if anyone can provide that.
post #5 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I managed to take most of the TV apart and cleaned off the bulbs cover lens, and blew some air in there but it looks pretty dusty inside the bulb. I also cleaned off the exterior of the lens and the mirror that are in the back portion of the TV you can access through the two little holes on the side. The problem is still exactly the same.

Could I need a new bulb? Are my mirror getting stuck? and if so, why so many all in such a short amount of time? Is this smoke damage to the mirrors/dlp chip and if so is there any way to get in there and clean it? I didnt mess with getting inside the actual light processor, but im sure I could if cleaning the inside of that out would help.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

May have some kind of debri on the inside of the screen itself. Post pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Its not in the screen itself. When I had the holes in the side open I turned the unit on and stuck my hand infront of the image being projected onto the big mirror and I could block the white dot which means it must be coming from somewhere inside the light engine or its lens or inside the bulbs reflector possibly (not sure about that).

I still took some pictures. I will try and get them up asap. There are a couple other people who got their units about 2 christmas seasons ago in the owners thread for this model of tv who have had the same exact dots show up on theirs recently as well.
post #8 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

The dots look a little more blue than they really are because of a blue lightsource nearby.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that is stuck pixels on the dmd. No amount of cleaning will fix this is hardware failure. $250 for a dmd and a very difficult install, or $500 for the light engine and easy install.

post #10 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

What is the dmd and why is the install so difficult? Is the light engine the fan cooled section with the heat sinks that the bulb is shining into? Im assuming with that you just take out that whole piece with a few screws and replace, but the dmd is somewhere inside there and a pain to get to and replace?
post #11 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The light engine has everything- lamp, colorwheel, dmd, lens. Comes on a platform that slides in/out. The dmd is under that heatsink/fan and I think this one requires a special removal tool to "unscrew" it from the light engine. Both repairs require post install image alignments that are not easy either. The dmd alignment is 10x harder than the if you do the whole light engine.

post #12 of 33 Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Would it be useless to try and get inside there to dust things off? I feel like having the TV next to a saltwater fish tank probably means there is salt dust residue in there that may be whats causing the problem. I guess if I would just destroy the thing dusting it though there isnt much of a point. Why did so many mirrors get stuck at the same time, and why are they all on the outer edge of the tv for the most part?
post #13 of 33 Old 11-21-2008, 03:51 AM

I have had mine apart last night and there is not a thing u can do but replace the dmd board. these mirrors get stuck in the on or off and cant be fixed.
you can do it easy. just take pictures of the wires as u uninstall. be real carefull the connectors are very easy to pull wires out. the dmd board has a cpu on the back side that can be replaced with out replacing the board. but u have to look at the cpu number and find one. My chip is 152.00 and the board was 60.00
Good luck
Gary
post #14 of 33 Old 11-21-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

...I think this one requires a special removal tool to "unscrew" it from the light engine...

I was incorrect, no special tool required. But I still would not recommend a dmd board replacement over a light engine to a non-tech.

post #15 of 33 Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

3 more spots have appeared in the last 2 days. Does anyone know what would be causing so many mirrors to fail in such a short time?
post #16 of 33 Old 02-14-2009, 10:46 AM

I guess I'm the newest member of the "white spot" club on the Samsung HLS4266W (purchased Jan 07')...3 days back I observed the first...now I am at 10 spots, all on one side. I called Samsung customer (don't) care, who basically said that I am SOL...out of warranty, you are on your own....yes we have heard about the white spot issue, but not enough to document it...
post #17 of 33 Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 AM

I am looking to report this on consumeraffairs.com...it might help if more people with this problem document the issue on this site...
post #18 of 33 Old 02-14-2009, 11:54 AM

This is what your future holds.
This tV was purchased Dec 23,2006, put on an APC power filter and on a stand to give great ventilation. I had always been happy with it.

The first white pix reared its head Thanksgiving weekend 2008 when I was watching football. Picture is early Feb 09.
You can check another thread on the stuck mirror disease

here.

post #19 of 33 Old 02-14-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusBarnabus View Post

3 more spots have appeared in the last 2 days. Does anyone know what would be causing so many mirrors to fail in such a short time?

Well you might be helping the "white spot club members" because of your setup... and its proximity to a FISH TANK.... hmmm there was speculation about humidity and such... perhaps you have an answer for them... YES :-(
post #20 of 33 Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 PM

There is more discussion about the white spots and DMD board replacements in another thread ( probably easiset to get to by seaching on my userid.) I ordered the DMD board that Samsung Customer Service told me based on my model and serial number only to find out, after taking my unit apart, this was not a compatable board and that there were two versions of this board. Further, the micro-mirror failure is likely caused by overheating according to TI technical reports and this part is identified as the DMD panel. The DMD panel is mounted on the DMD board. DMD boards per se do not have the micro mirror mounted on them, unless apparently you order the entire optical engine - $$$$

Two possibly useful comments:

there is a class action "sahdow" lawsuit that the attorney may include this defect as well if he finds enough people with this problem.

Although your warrantee likely expired ( my spots appeared two months after the 1 yr mfg warrantee expired !) many credit cards carry an extended warrantee for products purchased with these credit cards.
post #21 of 33 Old 02-15-2009, 02:48 AM

Liked: 11
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1107926

I expect lots of Samsung DLP owners to report this problem in the near future.
post #22 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Damn right......looks like this series has this as a ticking time bomb.
post #23 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naseqp View Post

This is what your future holds.
This tV was purchased Dec 23,2006, put on an APC power filter and on a stand to give great ventilation. I had always been happy with it.

The first white pix reared its head Thanksgiving weekend 2008 when I was watching football. Picture is early Feb 09.

Wow, that's kind of creepy. That time line is almost identical to how mine went.
post #24 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM

Gooday Pez and the rest of the crew

I like the rest of the world have the same problem with my Samsung hls 4266wx/xaa pb02 I bought mistakenly the BP96-016368 BOARD.

From what you guys are saying on the website is it that I need to buy the 4719-001981. Please let me know ASAP as the stars are beginning to dazzle my eyes ,,

Thanks

Sonicdis
post #25 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 PM

Liked: 11
HLN567WX Purchased in sept 2003. Got a bit more shelf life than most it seems. Looking into a light engine replacement now. If +-$500 can get me 6 more years, Im (kinda) happy.
post #26 of 33 Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Well , normally for these types of problems for Dmd, when it comes to replacing it. It's really hard to find it, but I found a place where they sell it really cheap, I normally buy the parts from discount-merchant.com
post #27 of 33 Old 06-28-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronictuneup View Post

Well , normally for these types of problems for Dmd, when it comes to replacing it. It's really hard to find it, but I found a place where they sell it really cheap, I normally buy the parts from discount-merchant.com

Yeah, they don't actually sell the part that we're talking about here.
post #28 of 33 Old 07-15-2009, 02:09 PM

50 inch Samsung 1080i TV is growing more and more white spots each day. Started a week ago and must have about 40 spots now. Estimates for repair range from 700 to 1400, depending on new or repaired part. TV is 2 and a half years old.

Called three shops in Eugene, they immediately knew what the problem was and recommended buying a new TV. I'm not the do it yourself type.

How does Samsung get such good ratings if the repair shops laugh about the white spot issue?
post #29 of 33 Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM

This was one of the first things that popped up while I was searching around, and for a bit there I actually thought those were current prices rofl. Nowadays, for anyone else that's curious and for some reason has a DLP, it's like 200 bucks to get a tech to do it ( checked about 4 in my area) so I just decided to do it myself. There's like 8 jillion tutorials on how to do it on youtube and all I had to do was purchase the chip
(cheapest I could find, they're like 300 bucks from samsung) http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-mitsubishi-toshiba-4719-001997-dlp-chip.htm?utm_source=csr&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=am
and some microfiber gloves so I didn't ruin the damn thing. All in all I spent about 164 bucks, way less than the 700-1400 I thought it would cost. Thank god it's the year 2012.
post #30 of 33 Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM

Call 1800samsung depending on the model they will give one free repair of the DMD chip and schedule a tech to come out and replace.

Obviously I know that its the chip failing, I dont know why,, heat related from a failing cooling fan? or just a bad design.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page