Samsung DLP HLR6168 Half Screen is black???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! I'm relatively new to this forum, and am very pleased to have found it and know that there are others experiencing the same problems I am. I am having some problems with my Samsung DLP 61" rear projection TV, the model # is HLR6168W. The warranty is expired and as of late I've noticed the 2-3" wide tint difference (seems darker like a shadow) going down the left side of the screen. But more importantly, I'm having a problem with half the screen going black (literally) after 1-2 hours of use. The other half just continues on and works fine. So I have to turn the TV off count to 30 or so turn it back on and the screen returns to normal. That just continues to happen. Also, it is always the right side of the screen. I thought I read something about a light engine being the problem or part of a board?? Does anyone have any ideas?? I noticed something on the board with respect to Samsung extending the service warranty on the Light engine or something??? I would totally appreciate it. Thanks. Rene'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM

Had the same two to three inch dark band on my HLR 56 series. As you said, it looks like a shadow. That fell within the warranty period so a tech was dispatched after I convinced them it was happening on all inputs.

The only fix was to replace the entire light engine. That's the bulb, chip, color wheel, electronics... It's all one unit. They yanked it out and the problem went away. It is still running smooth.

My guess, after the fact, was that something heated up too much and caused a part or shield to deflect a bit. Sounds like you have a problem. Talking with the tech left me with the strong impression that it would be on the order of at least $1000 to replace. The lamp itself is only a few hundred but that will only brighten up the remaining picture and not the underlying problem.

Surfing the Bleeding Edge!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm8299 View Post

...The warranty is expired and as of late I've noticed the 2-3" wide tint difference (seems darker like a shadow) going down the left side of the screen. But more importantly, I'm having a problem with half the screen going black (literally) after 1-2 hours of use. The other half just continues on and works fine...

Sounds like light tunnel and dmd problems, best bet is replace the light engine which is $500 at andrewselectronics.com
Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I've read in other threads that Samsung has an extended warranty for light tunnel issues?!?!? Does anyone know anything about that?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The light tunnel issue is covered by an extended Samsung warranty as you have read probably on the main Samsung Side Shadow thread. But, the half screen off is your dlp chip failing and that is located on the DMD board which costs almost as much as a new tv. Go to www.samsungparts.com and put your model number into the left column search and your parts list will come up with prices.

And if I were you, I'd call executive customer service at Samsung and complain about the dmd board going out, a few people have had them offer some help in the repair.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the information on the dmd board. another question would be is their any legitimate reason as to why the dmd board would fail??? The TV is just over 2 years old!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Legitimate reason? Things happen. Some electronic components fail early. Accidents happen. Maybe you guys cycled the tv on and off too much, maybe not enough ventilation, maybe exposure to sun on the back of the tv caused overheating, maybe your electric power isn't consistent or clean and it caused the board to run at different power levels too often, who knows??

All you can do now is complain to Samsung and see if they want to help.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

No, I understand that. I guess my question is.....is there a direct connection between the light engine tunnel and the DMD board?? Which is to say is there any way that the failure of the light engine tunnel caused the failure of the DLP chip or DMD board?? Cuz I called Samsung and the only way they are willing to replace the DMD board is if it was directly caused by the failing light engine tunnel.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the light tunnel shadow is a result of some glue which holds the four tiny mirrors of the light tunnel together, coming unglued, and one of the mirrors falls into the light path. Strictly a non mechanical problem, just a glue drying out issue.

The dmd board is the digital motherboard of the tv.

So they aren't related. But some people have gotten their dmd board problem escelated to Samsung Executive Customer Relations and been offered either partial or complete repair. But you have to get past the first line of customer service and request the higher level people.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

MES44 thank you for responding! I was under the impression that when the light tunnel engine is totally replaced it requires the DLP chip being replaced since it is one entire piece??? Am i misunderstanding this??? If I can get Samsung repair to come out and diagnose a faulty light engine tunnel due to the 3" shadow effect on the left hand side of the TV, wouldn't they replace the whole light engine tunnel plus the DLP chip???
Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

You are not correct. The entire light engine does contain the dmd board, but when they fix the tunnel, they just open up the tv, unscrew a few things inside the light engine, pull out the tiny light tunnel, put a new one into the holder and put it back together. No new light engine involved.

Back in the beginning of the light tunnel repair process, before they realized how easy and cheap it was to just replace the little tunnel, they were replacing the whole light engine. But it was with refurbished units which often were worse than the ones they replaced.

So anyhow, enuf Samsung repair history from me. But you won't get the whole light engine replaced anymore.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 PM

I'm starting see this exact same thing with the half black screen occasionally with my 3 year old samsung 67" dlp. Power cycling the tv fixes it but but this is not good. A TV should not fail in 3 years like this so I don't see another samsung dlp in my future. Replacing moving parts like color wheels and fans is one thing but solid state parts shouldn't fail.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM

i own a samsung dlp hlr5688 (3 years 4 months) and i had to replace the bulb 3 months ago. shortly thereafter i starting experiencing the right half of my screen going black periodically. my understanding is that the problem may be the dmd board. according to samsungparts.com i see the the cost of that part is $1000.... has anyone gone through the repair process for this problem? is it possible that i can just replace the bulb (again)? Or should i just give this tv up?