Sony SXRD Lamp Life Survey - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When was the lamp replaced?
at less than 1000hrs 0 0%
between 1000-2000hrs 0 0%
between 2000-3000hrs 0 0%
between 3000-4000hrs 0 0%
between 4000-5000hrs 0 0%
between 5000-6000hrs 0 0%
between 6000-7000hrs 0 0%
between 7000-8000hrs 0 0%
at more than 8000hrs 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 88 Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
I recently replaced the bulb in my KDS-55A3000 at around 6,000 hours with a Sony XL-5200 factory replacement bulb. My bulb actually had plenty on life left on it, but I got really lucky and Sony sent me a new one for free.

I must say that it is amazing how different the set looks after replacing the bulb. I have always enabled power savings, etc. I actually purchased my A3000 open box after a desperate scramble after Sony's announcement that the KDS-Z70XBR5 was stillborn. I still lament those sets never seeing the light of day as they looked amazing. My open box had tons of hours on it and I actually got a new bulb for it one week after purchase as well.

While annoying that they need to be replaced, when calibrated, power saving enabled, and keeping power cycles to a minimum, these bulbs can last for years. Furthermore, it is pretty cool that upon replacement of the bulb, you have peak brightness and almost a new display. I just wish Sony would price the bulb at around 100 Dollars or less. I have no experience with the scores of OEM equivalent bulbs. Some seem to be quite pleased with the performance and the price is certainly right.
I do advocate leaving the set on if say running a quick errands or being away for less than an hour or so.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 09-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

After 2 years and 8 months, my lamp on my KDS-55A2000 "popped" without any warning whatsoever. I had noticed the picture getting slightly dimmer, but didn't access the Service Menu to see the hours on the lamp. I purchased my lamp from Amazon also, and wow, is there ever a difference in brightness!

I decided to change the "Picture" setting down a little, and turn on the "Power Save" to see if down the line in time it would make a difference. I am guessing iI got between 5000-6000 hours on the old bulb. The painful part was WAITING for the new bulb, as I had to watch TV on my laptop until it arrived!

Next time, I may order a new bulb after 2 years, hopefully before this one goes.

I am still very pleased with my set, it was an excellent investment.

GG
post #63 of 88 Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 AM

Hi, i have just replaced my lamp. The last one which was my original lamp ran for about 5000 hrs. I have just bought a new lamp from:
KDS-50A3000. They gave me warranty of 90 days and it seems ok to. Hope it works like the previous one.
post #64 of 88 Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Another statistic for the SXRD lamp life time.
I estimate over 8000 hours. We have had the set for 3 1/2 years. I reckon the set is on for about 8 hours every day. 2h in the morning and ~6h in the evening. We are away say 5 weeks a year so (365-35) * 3.5*8 is 9240 hours. So at least 8000 hours or at least 2500 power cycles. I run the SXRD KDSR50xbr1 on the reduced power setting and high altitude fan setting. Cooler bulbs last longer.
Is there a "run-time" clock which one can access to see the actual lamp life time?
Well, when I install the new lamp...... guess I better order one!
I should have changed the lamp when the optical block was changed last April!

Found the answer on how to access the lamp on time....."Search Engine!" that's a nice name
post #65 of 88 Old 11-19-2009, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
7700+ on my KDS60A2000, still working but occasional flickering. Didn't notice how dim it had become until the new one went in......of course, the ob **** the bed shortly after (55v5100 offered and accepted as replacement) so now I have a virtually unwatchable tv with a 100 hour bulb in it - lcd should be here in the next few days

There are no stupid questions. Stupid answers on the other hand....that's a whole other story...........
post #66 of 88 Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 AM

I so confused right now I need some advice...OK, I always clean my set lke once a week, I even take the lamp with the housing out and I clean where the lamp sits, I clean the dust out.

So here my question, I had over 4000+ hours on my bulb when I check about a few months ago and now I checked again today it read 2112 hours, I don't get it, by me taking out the lam,p to clean the area for dust, does this reset the hours or something. MY set has lost some luster, I have a brand new bulb waiting. So What gives?

I have the KDS-50A2000
post #67 of 88 Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

I so confused right now I need some advice...OK, I always clean my set lke once a week, I even take the lamp with the housing out and I clean where the lamp sits, I clean the dust out.

So here my question, I had over 4000+ hours on my bulb when I check about a few months ago and now I checked again today it read 2112 hours, I don't get it, by me taking out the lam,p to clean the area for dust, does this reset the hours or something. MY set has lost some luster, I have a brand new bulb waiting. So What gives?

I have the KDS-50A2000

Physically replacing lamp does not reset lamp hours in service menu

Must go into user menu settings under setup and click on Lamp Replacement then Start

Maybe you did that inadvertently?
post #68 of 88 Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Physically replacing lamp does not reset lamp hours in service menu

Must go into user menu settings under setup and click on Lamp Replacement then Start

Maybe you did that inadvertently?

Maybe I did hit it inadvertently, I'm just lost what to do, should I wait until it dies, or replace now.
post #69 of 88 Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

If I read it right, I had 9857 on my original lamp before it blew (that's how many hours service menu says when I put in the new lamp).

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #70 of 88 Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 PM

I have the KDS-50A2000, bought on Black Friday almost exactly three years ago. The bulb blew suddenly last night, so I purchased a replacement today (My Sony ext. warranty does not cover bulbs). I wanted to know how many hours I had gotten before I reset the timer - service menu showed 4376 hours (exactly 4 hours/day on average). I'm a little disappointed with the short life, but a couple factors could have contributed - we do a lot of on/off cycling, and we had 3 power outages in the first 2 weeks we owned the set - before I had a chance to go out and get a UPS. We almost NEVER have power outages, but Murphy strikes again!

I do want to warn everyone about the difficulties of getting an immediate bulb replacement. These things can be hard to find, so if you're up to ~4000 hours I suggest you start shopping now to have one on hand when it blows.

Watch out for bait-and-switch tactics and other misleading claims. Because I did not want to do anything that could void my extended warranty, I absolutely wanted a genuine Philips bulb. I was willing to open the cage and swap the bulb myself, but I did not want any no-name brand, or even Osram, because if the ballast or OB went afterwards a service tech would immediately recognize the off-brand bulb and claim it contributed to the failure.

Compounding my difficulties, I wanted the bulb FAST - I was willing to pay for overnight shipping, or pay even a little more to find a local place to pick it up. But with my son coming home for the holidays and us having some rare free time to watch TV this weekend, I did not want to sit here for a week waiting for a new bulb to arrive. And with holiday shipping delays, that was a big risk.

I wasted the whole morning calling web-based sellers asking if they could meet my requirements. I need you to know there are a lot of sites out there claiming to have bulbs in stock that actually do not. And also ones who will claim, in multiple places, that their bulbs are genuine Philips, but are not. I spoke to about 6 different retailers whose websites claimed to have Philips bulbs in stock, and all of them were either out of stock, selling Osram bulbs, or wanted 48 hours to process my charge card, so were unwilling to ship product before next Monday (but more than happy to take extra $$$ to use overnight shipping to get it to me by Tuesday).

In the end I found a local web-based retailer who said they had genuine Philips bulbs without the cage. Their web page was titled "Philips DLP bulbs", and the word Philips displayed 44 times on that page - with no mention of Osram. They wanted $125 for this Philips bulb, which is a little higher than other web-based retailers, but they were local so it was worth a little extra. I called on the phone to confirm that they had the Philips bulbs in stock, made the purchase over the phone (because their warehouse was at a separate location) and hopped in the car to go pick it up. The lamp was in a plain brown box, different from the Philips box pictured on their Amazon.com listing. As I was driving away, I got a little suspicious, so I pulled over and opened the box. It was a #*$#& Osram bulb! I drove back and immediately returned it. The guy at the warehouse was (feigned?) surprised that the bulb was not Philips, and searched all over to try to find me a Philips one. One of the other guys told him they had recently stopped carrying Philips.

Disgusted at wasting the whole morning, I drove down to New Castle, DE, and forked over $200 for a genuine Sony bulb with cage from CB Joe TV. It was no longer worth the trouble to save some extra money. My set lookg great, and my kids will love me this weekend.

Once my extended warranty is toast, I'll give Osram a try if I can't find Philips. But until then I'm covered with the genuine Sony part. In about 2 years I'll go online to find a good deal on a bulb, and put it into the extra cage that I now have so I can have a spare ready to pop in next time my old bulb pops out.
post #71 of 88 Old 11-25-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent points! I suppose thats what can happen when you try to get a new bulb for < $100. I need a new one and I plan to pay $150-200 for a genuine Sony/Philips bulb in a new (not recycled) housing and in a sealed Sony box from a reputable reseller like Vanns or OneCall. IMHO, it just isn't worth the hassle to try and save a few bucks, especially as these bulbs will last 3 years under normal use, so whats $20 per year more in the overall scheme of things?
post #72 of 88 Old 11-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

I have 10483 hours on my bulb and it has been used for nearly four years. It is now brutally dim. A new one will be here on Monday. Typically, the set was only ever turned on/off once per day and hence perhaps that contributed to the long life.
post #73 of 88 Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 AM

My 3-year-old 60A2020's bulb just hit the 6500 hour mark. The warning light still hasn't come on (perhaps it's set at a higher limit than for the XBRs?), but I'm thinking it's on its last legs.

I've noticed some intermittent, light but noticeable flickering in large bright fields (especially in high-contrast situations, like a bright sky over a dark landscape). I've always had the brightness set fairly low (calibrated for a darkened room), but it seems slightly dimmer; contrast also seems a bit wonky, and black levels seem more washed out and "bluish" than they have (hoping that this isn't an OB issue on top of the lamp issue!). I also had some weird issues with the set randomly powering down (and once, powering on in the middle of the night!) which settled down after removing and reinserting the bulb casing; I've heard some reports that bulb issues can have strange ancillary effects, and presume that's what's going on.

Luckily, my extended warranty -- which runs until next year -- covers a bulb replacement, so I'll have to call that in soon; hopefully they'll both give me the replacement without the warning light having come on and let me keep the old bulb as an emergency spare. If replacing the bulb doesn't resolve all the picture and other issues, I'll have to see if they'll do a lemon replacement with one of the new 60" LCDs (which have an MSRP lower than that of the SXRD; that makes it a product of "equivalent value," right? Not gonna hold my breath on that one...).

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #74 of 88 Old 02-17-2010, 03:54 AM

I had about 6500 hours when I replaced my still working bulb on a XBR2 70". I used the XL-5300 that came with the set as a package deal. I have saved the old bulb for emergency replacement if need be. I'd rather have a dim picture for the weekend than nothing if the bulb pops.
post #75 of 88 Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I got my 60XBR2 in 2006 and have never checked the usage on the bulb. What are the instructions for doing so?
post #76 of 88 Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 PM

I know this is a bit old, but I am starting to experience some flickering and dim picture. Searching turned up this thread and others on how to check hours. I checked. I have 11834 hours on my original KDS60A2020 bulb over 3 1/2 years!! I will be ordering a philips bulb because the flickering is starting to get anoying and it appears I am on borrowed time
post #77 of 88 Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodragon View Post

I know this is a bit old, but I am starting to experience some flickering and dim picture. Searching turned up this thread and others on how to check hours. I checked. I have 11834 hours on my original KDS60A2020 bulb over 3 1/2 years!! I will be ordering a philips bulb because the flickering is starting to get anoying and it appears I am on borrowed time

Could be because the lamp is on its last legs. After all, almost 12,000 housrs is one hell of an innings! A bunch of us have experienced flickering after about 2,000 hours and only with Power Savings set to On.
post #78 of 88 Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 PM

I get some minor flickering also, and also a message saying lamp is nearing end of life. Anyone know if that message is programmed to appear at a certain number of hours on a 50A2000?

Haven't replaced the bulb in the almost four years I've had the TV, not sure about the number of hours.

PSN: Ratnose
post #79 of 88 Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Yea, I am sure the lamp is on it's last leg and that I am on borrowed time. Ratnose86, I am pretty sure the message about the lamp being near end of life is programed to appear at 8000 hours. Mine has been showing the message for over a year now I get paid Friday, so I will be ordering one soon! I have been very happy with this TV, I originally bought a Samsung LED light engine DLP, but both my wife and I could see the rainbows, and it had that awful halo that much later was determined to be a reflection from a silver ring on the optical block. SO it went back and I bought the SXRD specifically for the 3 chip system.
post #80 of 88 Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Well you know I jinxed myself. Thanksgiving morning, the set would not turn on and the "Lamp" LED was flashing . So we were stuck with the 32" LCD in the playroom. Friday I tried to find one local, but everyone wanted $200. So We orderded one on ebay (OEM) from a CA company for $110, and had it by Tuesday. Solved all flickering/dim/off color problems. TV looks great again
post #81 of 88 Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Well Replaced mine back in August in 09 and the replacement bulb just blew tonight. I know for a fact it was not near as high in hours compared to my first one. Time to call around tomorrow and see if I can find one fairly fast.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #82 of 88 Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
I just got my 4th free Lamp for my A3000. Sadly, it seems to be a race between free Lamps and OB failures as I just had my 3rd OB put in December 30th. This includes the original OB.

That being said, I have gotten well over 6500 Hours on every Lamp and have never had one go out. It is just every time the OB is replaced, I want to replace the Lamp so that I can do a somewhat meaningful Calibration.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #83 of 88 Old 01-22-2012, 05:28 AM

Looks like I'm bringing this thread back to life. Still have my 60XBR1, the first lamp survived 8600 hours and I replaced it because it was too dim. I'm ready to replace the second lamp at 10,629 hours because of brightness. Neither one has failed and I have two spares now! Only used original Sony replacement so far. Unbelievable lifetime on these. I do keep the set clean and vacuum around the fan inlets and filter a couple times a year for good fan circulation. Maybe that helps.
Kevin
post #84 of 88 Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Funny I found this thread. My is well over 15,000 and will probably be replacing it soon.
post #85 of 88 Old 03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
EW_

KDS-R50XBR1
My bulb went out today. 8661 hours. Looks like Philips PHI/387 is the loose bulb solution and the whole bulb and housing is referred to as a 93087600 and Sony XL-5100.

I ran the set in reduced power mode for approx 5 years 4 months and standard mode for the last 8 months. It looked dark for the last few days and the new bulb makes it look great again. I set it back to reduced power mode and reset the counter.
post #86 of 88 Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 PM

my lamp died 2 weeks ago and the timer says https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...24328040_n.jpg

o.O i got the tv 3 months used had about 500 hours or so and i might have reset the counter after viewing the timer.
post #87 of 88 Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 PM

KDS 50 inch, used "power save" feature from the start and I just replaced my first bulb (TV purchased Jan '06). Bulb had 10,691 hours.
post #88 of 88 Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 PM

KDS 50 inch, used "power save" feature from the start and I just replaced my first bulb (TV purchased Jan '06). Bulb had 10,691 hours.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page