Samsung DMD board replacement - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 846 Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same story with the dots as everyone else pretty much. I ordered the DLP chip, replaced it, went to turn the TV on and all I get is a blinking green light that says "Lamp." Replaced the lamp with a new one, still get the blinking green light, after it blinks for about 30 seconds I hear a click, then it resets and starts again.

I have taken the back panel off, made sure I reattached all the wires and screwed in all the screws, reworked the entire process again and still have the same blinking light effect. When I hold the little blue tab in the light tunnel up and turn the TV on both fans turn on but nothing else happens but flashing lights on front of the TV. Very very frustrating. I'm thinking of scrapping this TV and going and buying a new Plasma.

Any ideas as to what this may be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 846 Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM

It never fails. After ordering a new chip from Samsungparts.com I see where Samsung has started to step up to the plate and take some ownership of their product's failures. Just got a call from Jennifer in Samsung Case Management and the local service center. It seems that Samsung is covering repairs (with a little push from a BBB complaint) and I will have to cover the labor. To me it's a no brainer. While I could replace the chip, why bother when I can pay the same price and have the entire DLP assembly replaced. Now I just have to get Samsung to refund my purchase of the DMD chip for my HLS4676S unless someone needs it and will pay what I paid for it.

Part # 4719-001981 Cost (including shipping) $166.01

If you want it shoot me an email at ntninja@comcast.net. Supports the following models:

HLS4266W, HLS4666W, HLS4676S, HLS5086W, HLS5686W, HLS6186W, HLT4675S, HLT5075S, HLT5675S, Other TV
post #273 of 846 Old 06-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarloin View Post

Same story with the dots as everyone else pretty much. I ordered the DLP chip, replaced it, went to turn the TV on and all I get is a blinking green light that says "Lamp." Replaced the lamp with a new one, still get the blinking green light, after it blinks for about 30 seconds I hear a click, then it resets and starts again.

I have taken the back panel off, made sure I reattached all the wires and screwed in all the screws, reworked the entire process again and still have the same blinking light effect. When I hold the little blue tab in the light tunnel up and turn the TV on both fans turn on but nothing else happens but flashing lights on front of the TV. Very very frustrating. I'm thinking of scrapping this TV and going and buying a new Plasma.

Any ideas as to what this may be?

How many blinks are you getting? Usually the blinks are in a pattern that can be interpreted/read as a specific fault.
post #274 of 846 Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 PM

The technician came out today, Samsung apparently told him to only replace the chip (which is now on back order again) instead of the DMD assembly. He wouldn't tell me his labor for the repair over the phone yesterday or that Samsung was only looking to replace the chip. His service call fee is $100 and will be included in the $250 labor charge to replace the $153 chip when Samsung gets them in. Needless to say I am not happy right now.

I called the Samsung case manager, complained, was told that they extended the parts warranty out by 15 months so I should be happy. He also told me that there wasn't a next level to speak with in customer service (including his manager). I've updated the BBB complaint and contacted the attorneys handling the Samsung DLP Light Shadow class action lawsuit to find out if they could include this issue or file a new suit (samsungtvshadowclassaction.com).
post #275 of 846 Old 06-12-2009, 07:56 AM

After contacting the BBB again and complaining again to Samsung case manager's, I received a call from the local service center this morning. They are going to replace the entire light engine/dmd assembly. Of course, Samsung's parts website for the service centers is experiencing technical difficulties (must be powered by the same dmd chip :-) ) and it may be Monday before they can order and Samsung is only going to cover ground shipping but what the heck at least I'm making progress on this.

I'm still going to pursue the class action suit since I will be out about $250 for the repair that they should be covering entirely instead of this "secret recall" by saying 'we'll cover parts if you pay for labor'.

So does anyone want to buy the chip? Brand new from Samsungparts.com, part # 4719-001981, cost $166.01 (shipped) and I will ship via USPS Priority Insured.
post #276 of 846 Old 06-12-2009, 09:43 AM

Can someone look at my post titled "Samsung HLR5667 problems" and tell me what part I need according to the pic showing?

Thanks in advance,
T
post #277 of 846 Old 06-14-2009, 11:21 AM

Hi Everyone with White zDot issues. I have 2 yr old HLS4666w 46" Samsung and several weeks ago the white dots starting apearing and like everyone else I got the blow off from Sammy service. I decide to try and replace the DMD Chip myself since it did not look that difficult. I first ordered the correct chip < They are different so be sure you get the right one. Next I downloaded the Assembly/disassembly.pdf instructions free on line and when my chip arrived ,set up my Lap top right next to the TV and followed the instructions to a tee. This is not that difficult if you take your time and follow everything that is listed. Remember you are only dealing wth the DMD portion of the Assembly instructions, not the entire disassemble instructions. In my case model HLS4666w is not exactly as shown but real close. Two areas you need to be concerned about. The heat sink Strap is not easy to come off but with needel nose pliers you can get it off. also on the DMD board the instructions show you removing the board but on this model there is a Ribbon cable you can't get off, just lift the board and install the chip from the back very simple. I also applied some Thermal compound on the Heat Sink pad facing the chip before reassembly.

Just do not remove the 3 aligning screws noted in the instructions, if you do your picture will be all out of wack and not easy to realign.

Thats it replace everything you removed besure you don't touch the chip and you have a like new TV took about 2 hours . My white dots are gone and I have great picture. If you need more info email me rsaia@sbcglobal.net
I did do a recalibration per the Service Manuals instruction but was not really necessary.

Good luck, dont pay $600 to have Samsung do this you can do it and save $500. Good luck
post #278 of 846 Old 06-16-2009, 05:57 PM

Pezjunkie or Ronsaia-
I am ready to try to replace my DLP chip. I am not so much of an expert and would love it if you could hook me up with the pictures and step by step instructions. I have ordered the part and am excited to get rid of the snow. Snow is not good to a Louisiana girl! (By the way, I have a HL-S4266 PB02)
Thanks.
post #279 of 846 Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Hi I hope you ordered the right DMD Chip. I am sure you researched to see which Chip you needed they are different.

Any way you need to download ASSEMBLY.DISASSENBLY.PDF AND GO TO DMD CHIP REPLACEMENT ITS IN COLOR and easy to blow up on the screen for easy viewing.
If you can't find it I have it saved on my desktop and i will email it to you.

rsaia@sbcglobal.net is my email
post #280 of 846 Old 06-16-2009, 08:35 PM

Hi ,

Do you have the Service Mnaual for your model TV? if not, for $28.00 it covers many many issues about blinking lights. by it direct from Samsung parts dept . I find it immensly usefull and helpful
post #281 of 846 Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemytv View Post

Pezjunkie or Ronsaia-
I am ready to try to replace my DLP chip. I am not so much of an expert and would love it if you could hook me up with the pictures and step by step instructions. I have ordered the part and am excited to get rid of the snow. Snow is not good to a Louisiana girl! (By the way, I have a HL-S4266 PB02)
Thanks.

http://drop.io/HLS5086w

Get the disassembly & reassembly.pdf file.
post #282 of 846 Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Hi folks, first of all - this place is a life saver! Thanks to all the folks for adding input here as it shows it has served well. I too now have a white spot on the screen and called Samsung. That got me nowhere like many above. So, I will try to change out the part myself. I do have an issue about ordering the part though. On the Samsungparts website it won't allow me to put the whole model number in and gives a different part number than Encompass.com.

Samsunparts gives 4719-001981
Encompass gives 4719-001968

Neither site asked for the "version" but I assume someone here has the details... Anyway..

My tv was purchased 11/06 and the specs are below:

HLS4266WX/XAA
819V3CELA11110P
PB02

I would be very gratefull if someone could point me to the right part. Thanks

PS - Yep, looks lik there was for sure a time period in the fall of 2006 where there was faulty chips...
post #283 of 846 Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 AM

If you have one of these models, you will need to check the version listed on the right side of the TV:
HLS**86WX/XAA
HLS**65WX/XAA
HLS**66WX/XAA

If you have a Version PB02 the part # you are to order would be 4719-001981

If you have a Version PB01 the part # you would order would be 4719-001968

Get manuals and documentation here: http://www.drop.io/HLS5086W
You will mainly need "disassembly reassembly.pdf"
post #284 of 846 Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM

I have the DMD chip 4719-001981 that is still in the box purchased from Samsungparts.com on 1 Jun. I wound up not needing it after (some haggling back and forth) Samsung agreed to provide the parts for resolving the constellation effect on my TV. I would be glad to le tyou have it for what I paid for it ($166 shipped) and would send it USPS Priority Insured. I would take Paypal for payment.

The chip was never used or removed from the box. If interested, just shoot me an email at ntninja@comcast.net
post #285 of 846 Old 06-20-2009, 11:15 PM

Hello! I write from Mexico. I have a SP-61K3HD/X/XAX. my question is: it also uses dmd 4719-001981? thanks.
post #286 of 846 Old 06-21-2009, 03:01 PM

I just wanted to take a chance to thank you all for this forum. I fixed my TV and it is restored to a beautiful screen! No more snow for this Louisiana girl!

Thanks again, especially for figuring out the part numbers and to Pezjunkie for the instructions. To anyone who is thinking about it, you can do it!
post #287 of 846 Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM

Will consider - right now I want to read the notes for dissassembly etc to see if it is a job I want to do.

Funny note: I now have 2 white dots and I was watching the US Open this weekend and it was frustratingly funny as it was difficult to follow the ball on the green. Anyway, I cut little round pieces from a light green sticky note and placed them over the dots and made my life a little better for the Open. How's that for top of the line engineering?

Will be following up after some R&R over the next couple of weeks...
post #288 of 846 Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 AM

I was also watching the U.S. Open yesterday on my HL-S5086W PB02 when white dots began to appear on the screen. At first I thought they were just golf balls but I was wrong. Yesterday there were two and today there are 8. I took everyone's advice and ordered 4719-001981 from samsungparts.com. Hopefully it gets here soon otherwise I will probably just be watching a white screen after a few more days. I just did a quick recount after typing this and now I'm up to 9 white dots.
post #289 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 05:09 PM

Recently I got a white dot on my HLS4676, and now I have two. It appears that I will have to change out the DLP chip. I have read this entire thread, and it looks like I need the 4719-001981. I see that a few have had success changing the chip on their DLP's, however, I have not heard of anyone specifically with the HLS4676. This TV has version PA01. It looks like all of the success has been with other versions (PB02).
Can anyone confirm that the 4719-001981 will work with the HLS4676SX/XAA, version PA01?
Thanks for all of the info.
post #290 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 08:28 PM

Not Active
post #291 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 08:39 PM

Not Active
post #292 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 PM

Not Active
post #293 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Not Active
post #294 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Not Active
post #295 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 PM

i just logged on and have been following your threads about the issues
with the DND replacement and the realigning required after Chip replacement.

As you read in my earlier post, I replaced my Chip 2 weeks ago and did no adjusting at all , put everything back together and I had a beautiful picture again with no adjustments at all.

rwo week and counting and still lke new.

I believe Elite data you had other issues going on, especially since you removed the alignment screws.

Sorr to hear about all your experiences, I hope you are able to get it worked out. I just wanted to let you know about my replacement
post #296 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Not Active
post #297 of 846 Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Not Active
post #298 of 846 Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteData View Post

you know, after reading this entire thread, i now understand why i get the "crazies" calling my business.
they dont get anywhere with their extortion threatening demands with samsung, so samsung gives them our telephone number where they try an extort a threatening lawsuit gonna sue you and i want a free repair when we are just an ASC for samsung.
now i understand where the phone calls are coming from.
you know, i feel for all of you that have had troubles, but one year manufacturers warranty is just that, one year.
to tell you the truth, samsung is generous by sometimes extending the warranty past one year, sometimes 90 days past, they are generous to cover parts but not labor.
as far as i can tell, i dont know of any other electronics goods company that does this, but yet, people seriously abuse these generous offerings from samsung.
i would not be surprised if samsung decides that being generous to a bunch of hungry wolves is no longer a good thing to back up their product in the faith of consumer loyalty.
people expect too much.
they expect perfection when perfection is not possible at the current price.
would you buy an authentic bentley or a replica made in china ?
with that said, maybe the people who hate samsung televisions should go buy an "insignia" or some other made in china tv that looks and operates fancy, but for an affordable price, this way, there is no customer support or parts or anything, just throw it in the garbage when it breaks.
my point is:
nothing is made the way it used to be.
everything is affordable because no one wants to pay.
electronic goods have to be made cheaper in order to be price effective to the picky consumer and to compete with massive competition.
when electronic goods are made cheaper, they fail sooner.
you have no one to thank but our economy for having commodities outsourced for cheap labor and cheap components.
everyone is out to make a buck, the cheapest way possible.
you can pay $10K for that plasma, it makes no difference.

So then does this mean you're done criticizing everybody else and writing us all off as "crazies" now?

If you're a Samsung ASC, then I'll ask for you expert opinion: Is catastrophic DLP failure considered a normal occurrence? The fact that it is primarily happening to the same "family" of sets, all manufactured in late 2006, sure sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

Feel free to make a positive contribution to the thread at any time.
post #299 of 846 Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyZed5 View Post

Recently I got a white dot on my HLS4676, and now I have two. It appears that I will have to change out the DLP chip. I have read this entire thread, and it looks like I need the 4719-001981. I see that a few have had success changing the chip on their DLP's, however, I have not heard of anyone specifically with the HLS4676. This TV has version PA01. It looks like all of the success has been with other versions (PB02).
Can anyone confirm that the 4719-001981 will work with the HLS4676SX/XAA, version PA01?
Thanks for all of the info.

SamsungParts & PartStore.com both only list part #4719-001981 for that model, so it's probably a pretty safe bet.
post #300 of 846 Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 AM

Not Active
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page