Samsung DMD board replacement - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 846 Old 09-06-2009, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just in case it was the cause I tried turning the actuator on and off, as well as adjusting it broadly (100+-) and it did not change the problem, bars persist, picture remains poor.
Anything else to "adjust" that might resolve the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 846 Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM

I swapped back in the old DMD. Old spots are back, but lousy pictures and horizontal lines are gone.
I am going to send my DMD back and go with a different vendor unless anyone has a brilliant solution.
I bought it from Mersin like Boomer did, but have not been as lucky. He has opted to take it back rather than try to provide support. Either that's a sign that it might really be a bad DMD, or he has no faith in his customers and their abilities to fix simple problems. Not sure which one.
DMD is boxed and ready to ship unless somebody can save me...
post #393 of 846 Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 PM

I think I may have a bad DMD panel, so maybe some of you all can confirm based on my description. If I do, I know I'll be alright thanks to all the hard work put forth buy you guys with the detailed explanations and the uploaded manuals and guides.

So anyway, bought my HLS4266W in February of 2007 and hadn't really had many issues to date (black grass aside). Last week, I noticed what appeared to be a piece of dust or maybe a small bug on the back side of my screen. I went up to the screen and gave a little tap, and within 5 minutes the dark spot was gone. Saturday night, my wife and I sit down to watch some tv and I notice the spot is back...hmmm. My wife then points out a white flickering spot towards the side of the picture. Well, dang! About 30 minutes later we notice another spot towards the bottom of the picture, but it's not quite as pronounced as the other white spot.

So, all in all, I have 3 various spots on my tv. None of them are exactly alike:
- One dark spot in the middle. Looks like dust or a small "bug" on the back of the screen. Only noticeable on medium to light colored backgrounds. Completely disappears on dark backgrounds.
- One white spot that occasionally flickers on the upper right portion of the screen. It appears white on dark backgrounds and dark grey on light backgrounds.
- One whitish/grey spot bottom center that flickers constantly.

Based on the descriptions posted here, I'm leaning towards needing to replaced the DMD panel. I've got a football viewing party scheduled in less than a month, so I certainly don't want to wait too long and have a picture that looks like some of the extreme cases posted here when a couple of dozen folks come over to watch some games. Based on the symptoms, do you guys think I should go ahead and pull the trigger on a new DMD panel? I can live with a ~$155 repair if need be.

Also, I am a bit concerned about this problem coming back in another 2 or 3 years if I do replace the DMD panel. I really wish we could determine what is actually causing the panel to malfunction.
post #394 of 846 Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 AM

[quote=IvaninWashington;16833206] What I did was to reposition the fan directly in front of the heatsink by drilling holes in the chassis and attaching it.

How easy was it to relocate the fan? Did you use the same mounting screws? I am going to try this when I replace the chip.
post #395 of 846 Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for all the information! I bought a new DMD Chip for my Samsung HLT-5675SX-XAA for $200 on Ebay, does anyone know where I can find a manual to show how to properly change the chip out? Also, it seems from what I read, that the main problem should be the DMD Chip and the board "should" be alright... I guess if the chip doesn't work, purchase the board also?

Thanks
post #396 of 846 Old 09-10-2009, 05:41 AM

This is a followup, I had great success with the repair, thanks again to all... but looking forward does anyone have a sense if this problem will crop up again 2 or 3 years from now? Do you think we just got a bad lot of chips or is there a bigger problem with overheating of the chip over time due to poor design of the set? (Just wondering if I should stockpile another DMD chip).
post #397 of 846 Old 09-11-2009, 08:14 PM

The DMD instructions say to remove the chip with a "hand tool". Where can I source this?
post #398 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvw View Post

The DMD instructions say to remove the chip with a "hand tool". Where can I source this?

Just use your hand/fingers. To do it right, you'll want to work your way around the chip so that it comes up in a fairly even manner... If you pull up one side before the other, you risk bending the pins.

However, since the chip is already trashed, it doesn't really matter too much.
post #399 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 AM

This forum has been very helpful. Husband & I changed the DLP chip...no more white dots...but now a poor quality picture with horizontal lines evenly spaced about 4" apart up and down the whole screen. We made all recommended adjustments in the service menu but it didn't help. (I think we are having similar problem as mr2by4 mentioned in earlier post) Are we overlooking something? Seems others just pop the new chip in and their picture is like new. I purchased the chip on ebay for $119.00. Any info. would be greatly appreciated....thanks.
post #400 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know of the dmd chip for an HLN467Wxxx is sold anywhere alone?? Samsung wants the whole board (#BP96-00249A) for $537 before a $150 core refund. After 5.25 years of service I'm not sure dropping $400 to fix this every so often problem or just spend $1200 to buy something new.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan..." - The Dark Knight
post #401 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 11:45 AM

first off, i'd like to say thank's to everyone that has helped on the white dot issue --

i have a hls4676s model that i swapped out the dlp chip this morning.
everything went fine, very easy job. only one problem, the ribbon wire that goes from the top of the board over to the color wheel broke on me. it's the one,that on my model, goes from the board to the side of the wheel and is held down by a little rubber plug.
after further investigation, the cast aluminum has a very sharp edge on it and it look's as if was cut it in two. when i moved the board to change the chip it must have given up.

my question is, what will i end up having to buy ---
the ribbon wire?
dmd board?
color wheel?
would any of the sites listed prior carry this item?

thank's for the help you guy's have given me and any future help !!

any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated,
post #402 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Thank-you so much to all of you who have contributed to this thread. Pezjunkie, I don't know how you figured out which part to replace, but, it works like a charm. I have the Samsung HL-T4675S with uses the DLP chip #4719-001981. My set was slightly different from the service manual, but, easy enough to follow along. The whole process took about an hour and fourty-five minutes since I took digital pics and detailed notes so I could get it all back together properly. My TV is back and perfect again!

I did notice that the little pad/insulator on the back of the heat sink was not positioned very well and left some of the surface exposed. I went ahead and removed it and used some of the Arctic Silver thermal compound from Radio Shack in its place.

Thanks again to all.
post #403 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM

I'm sorry. I need my first post to contain a link.
post #404 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM

I'm sorry for posting this. I'm trying ot post a helpful link.
post #405 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Again. Very sorry. I hope you understand.
post #406 of 846 Old 09-12-2009, 08:28 PM

I was able to fix my TV.

I made a blog post about repairing my TV so that I might be able to help someone else.

Thanks everyone.
post #407 of 846 Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster_Windo View Post

Anyone know of the dmd chip for an HLN467Wxxx is sold anywhere alone?? Samsung wants the whole board (#BP96-00249A) for $537 before a $150 core refund. After 5.25 years of service I'm not sure dropping $400 to fix this every so often problem or just spend $1200 to buy something new.

Looks like maybe part number 4719-001959?

samsungparts.com lists that part... partstore.com doesn't list anything.

I thought somebody posted a while back that they bought a DMD board and it did not include the DLP chip.
post #408 of 846 Old 09-13-2009, 05:34 PM

If you find the ribbon cable part number please PM me. I have the same problem. It broke very easily and now I can't figure out what part number I need. Thanks!
post #409 of 846 Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Cool thx MattZTexasU! The chip should be here tomorrow, and your blog looks like the perfect answer on how to replace the chip. Fantastic!

Terry

post #410 of 846 Old 09-14-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezJunkie View Post

Looks like maybe part number 4719-001959?

samsungparts.com lists that part... partstore.com doesn't list anything.

I thought somebody posted a while back that they bought a DMD board and it did not include the DLP chip.

No my DLP only has the board and chip sold together $535 minus $150 core charge. So I'm looking at spending $400 on a 5 year TV that's only 720p, outdated technology and about 1/2 the price of a new LCD or Plasma of similar size.

So what ya'll do?? Fix it or leave for dead and buy a new set instead??

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan..." - The Dark Knight
post #411 of 846 Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 PM

What's guys n gals...new to the forum and it appears everyone is having problems with their DLP's. Hopefully someone can help me locate the correct part number to my problem. I've own this Samsung DLP hls4266 for almost 2 years and the tv is finally breaking down. I have a total of 20 white dots on the lower left side of the tv and noticed some with white spots all over. This is why, I'm finally doing some research and hoping this can be resolved without emptying my wallet.

Do I need to replace the dmd panel (whole thing) or just the chip and if you can assist me with the correct part number to get this puppy up and running.

Thank you!!
post #412 of 846 Old 09-15-2009, 12:35 AM

Thanks so much MattZTexasU! I got my DMD chip today, and went right to your blog! It guided me through it perfectly, and it's all fixed with no problems! Thanks everyone for your help! $200 and it's all fixed... Even the TV repair shops, don't want to get involved in the DMD chips and anything w/ Samsung DLP's! My only answers came from AVSForum... This forum is great!

: )
post #413 of 846 Old 09-15-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1 View Post

What's guys n gals...new to the forum and it appears everyone is having problems with their DLP's. Hopefully someone can help me locate the correct part number to my problem. I've own this Samsung DLP hls4266 for almost 2 years and the tv is finally breaking down. I have a total of 20 white dots on the lower left side of the tv and noticed some with white spots all over. This is why, I'm finally doing some research and hoping this can be resolved without emptying my wallet.

Do I need to replace the dmd panel (whole thing) or just the chip and if you can assist me with the correct part number to get this puppy up and running.

Thank you!!

If you have one of these models, you will need to check the version listed on the right side of the TV:
HLS**86WX/XAA
HLS**65WX/XAA
HLS**66WX/XAA

If you have a Version PB02, the part # you need to order would be 4719-001981

If you have a Version PB01, the part # you would order would be 4719-001968

Get manuals and documentation here: http://www.drop.io/HLS5086W
You will mainly need "disassembly reassembly.pdf"
post #414 of 846 Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 AM

[quote=PezJunkie;17182252]If you have one of these models, you will need to check the version listed on the right side of the TV:
HLS**86WX/XAA
HLS**65WX/XAA
HLS**66WX/XAA

If you have a Version PB02, the part # you need to order would be 4719-001981

If you have a Version PB01, the part # you would order would be 4719-001968

[quote]

Thanks for the reply Pez. Just making sure, the white spots on the DLP is popping up due to the chip, is this correct? I have the version 2 (PB02) and entered the part number on samsung parts and got this:

Part Number: 4719-001981
Division: TV
Description: DLP / DIGITAL LIGHT PROCESSOR
Stock Availability: Item usually ships in 3-5 business days.
Price: $153.26

I'm just verifying that the description listed is what I need to solve this "chicken-pox" dlp I got in front of me. Thanks for your help!

I also did a search on ebay and there's a DLP/ digital light processor with the exact part number you gave me and
found a DLP chip with the same part number but with the "A" at the end. Here's what i found... Im confused now!

Samsung DLP Chip Part# 4719-001981A
Samsung SAMSUNG 4719-001981 DLP;1290X720/HD5 0.4 (Light processor)
post #415 of 846 Old 09-16-2009, 05:01 AM

I returned the bad replacement chip to ebay seller. He was very helpful about the return, but did not offer exchange. Perhaps he was out of the part. Ordered a new one from Samsungparts.com. Annoyed by the "handling fee" but still $40 less than the $190 that they now cost on ebay from a different seller.
I am now very adept at the process. I can get the TV apart and swap chips in under 30 minutes! I should open a Samsung repair facility! Looks like I would have lots of customers.
thanks for all the useful posts!
post #416 of 846 Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 AM

mr2by4....Hi, I read your previous post and am having the same problem you had. We changed the chip (purchased for $119.00 from ebay) and had no more white dots, but then we had a very bad picture with horizontal lines. We tried making adjustments in the service mode but nothing helped. I was wondering...did you install the new chip you purchased from Samsung parts yet?...and if so, do you have a better picture?
post #417 of 846 Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM

I just want to thank everyone for their help, especially PezJunkie! I ordered the DMD panel from samsungparts.com earlier this week and successfully installed it today. With the information provided here, I was able to tackle something that would have otherwise been impossible to figure out. All in all, it took about an hour to swap out the DMD panels.

The hardest part for me was dealing with the spring clip that was holding the heat sink in. I think my clip may have been bent before and it made it super difficult to get out easily. I'm also pretty sure someone's been inside my tv before me. It could have been a Samsung worker when the tv was being assembled, but the DVI cable's plastic screw head was pretty much completely stripped. That sucker was cinched on super tight, so it took much more effort than it should have to get it off.

Based on others advice, I went ahead and replaced the thermal pad between the DMD panel and the heat sink with some thermal compound. It was my first time using thermal compound, so hopefully I used the right amount. Time will tell I guess.

My picture is back to looking new and also seems to have corrected an issue I was having with graininess being very visible in dark areas. My black grass has returned, but the tv looks 100 times better IMO.

Thanks again to everyone!!!
post #418 of 846 Old 09-19-2009, 02:20 PM

I found this thread while searching for pics/instructions on replacing the main digital board for my Sammie HLP4663WX/XAA.

I have been able to slide the board (and it's metal cover) out only about 1/2 way due to 2 connectors in the back which seem almost impossible to reach and thus disconnect.

I downloaded the service manual that Pez posted in hopes of the process being the same, but it's not.

If anyone knows where I can download a copy of the service manual I need, it would be a godsend. I'd like to get this fixed before the NFL games tomorrow of course....LOL

A little info on this ordeal:

TV worked fine until one morning I turned it on and got no picture, just sound and a faint blue/green vertical shadow on the left side of the screen. I replaced the lamp about 6 months ago. Took the TV in for a free estimate and the repair shop stated the Digital Board needed replacement. They stated the part was $360 + tax and $110 labor. The board wasn't available until mid October at best too.

I decided to visit the website where I bought the lamp (discount-merchant) and found the board I needed for.....hold onto your hats.....$24.99!!!!!!!!!!!
That's right, the very same $360 board, I found brand new, not refurbished for a mere $25. I got it yesterday and am trying to install today. The repair shop said I'll need to have a tech install it because they'll have to realign the mirrors and such. I'm just trying to get it installed and see where it goes from there.

Any help at all would be great.
The sooner the better of course....

If you have info on this install, please email me at:

pdnm1ATyahooDOTcom
post #419 of 846 Old 09-19-2009, 03:18 PM

I found this thread while searching for pics/instructions on replacing the main digital board for my Sammie HLP4663WX/XAA.

I have been able to slide the board (and it's metal cover) out only about 1/2 way due to 2 connectors in the back which seem almost impossible to reach and thus disconnect.

I downloaded the service manual that Pez posted in hopes of the process being the same, but it's not.

If anyone knows where I can download a copy of the service manual I need, it would be a godsend. I'd like to get this fixed before the NFL games tomorrow of course....LOL

A little info on this ordeal:

TV worked fine until one morning I turned it on and got no picture, just sound and a faint blue/green vertical shadow on the left side of the screen. I replaced the lamp about 6 months ago. Took the TV in for a free estimate and the repair shop stated the Digital Board needed replacement. They stated the part was $360 + tax and $110 labor. The board wasn't available until mid October at best too.

I decided to visit the website where I bought the lamp (discount-merchant) and found the board I needed for.....hold onto your hats.....$24.99!!!!!!!!!!!
That's right, the very same $360 board, I found brand new, not refurbished for a mere $25. I got it yesterday and am trying to install today. The repair shop said I'll need to have a tech install it because they'll have to realign the mirrors and such. I'm just trying to get it installed and see where it goes from there.

Any help at all would be great.
The sooner the better of course....

If you have info on this install, please email me at:

pdnm1ATyahooDOTcom
post #420 of 846 Old 09-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Good news/Bad news....got the board installed, fired up the TV and low and behold....no change in the issue! Nope, I still have no picture and a blue/green shadow on the left side of the screen....although it has increased in size though.

Any one have a clue?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page