Samsung DMD board replacement - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 846 Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good luck Phototec..

I am still awaiting approval for my repair. The latest Samsung rep I spoke to asked me for pictures and I am glad I took a few. She also mentioned that the "white dot" issue wasnt even on my file...yet she mentioned it before I did...so that kinda makes me think.

If you havent taken pictures of your TV DO IT NOW!!!! Before a serviceguy even touches it!!!!

You never know!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 846 Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Great news to report (cont. from post 600). Today was my scheduled white dot repair, the tech guy showed up (my home) at 12:30 pm and turned on the TV, had about 10 white dots, a few dark dots, and the one blinker dot, after verifying the dots, turned off the set and removed the back cover, removed the engine from the center, took the engine to my dining room table and started to remove many components to get to the DMD chip.

After replacing the DMD (DLP) chip, he reassembled the engine and placed it back in the set, I mentioned that I read on this post that there may be an issue with focus/alignment, and the tech told me, he has been installing these chips for about a year now and never had and issues with focus or alignment.

After everything was buttoned up, we turned on the TV, and the picture was a good as new, actually seamed a little better than before, maybe because my set was about 2-1/2 years old. No more white dots, the picture is sharp, just as it was before the chip replacement. The tech did not have to adjust anything. The whole process took about 30 minutes, start to finish.

Last Thursday (8-12-1-) I noticed a few white dots in the upper left corner of the screen, today (8-17-10), I have a great DLP picture, NO DOTS and the repair was timely and at NO CHARGE to me. For that I commend Samsung, that's how they should of handled all the white dot complaints from the beginning. I hope everyone who had to pay out of pocket for the repair can get reimbursed from Samaung.

Again I want to thank all the people who contributed to this site, because I know Samsung would not be paying for the repairs to my TV if all the folks on this site had NOT complained to them and the BBB, etc, creating all the buzz about the white dot problems.

I have never been contacted about a Class Action suite, however I think there should be one, just so all those folks who paid for their repairs could get reimbursed.

Good luck to all who read this forum and contact Samsung.
post #603 of 846 Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Congrats phototec!!!

Now if I can get mine back from the repair shop without spending a dime I would be happy
post #604 of 846 Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 PM

Samsung is only fixing certain models/ serial numbers for white dot issue. For example, mine is HL-T5676S and they told me I would have to pay for repair.

HT Enthusiast, starving for information to create a truly custom HT.
post #605 of 846 Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McPherson View Post

Samsung is only fixing certain models/ serial numbers for white dot issue. For example, mine is HL-T5676S and they told me I would have to pay for repair.

if you have white dots on your screen ...there is a white dot issue...no???

My main problem is the first repair guy said it was covered by Samsung and thats what they Samsung rep told me over the phone. After the repairman couldnt fix it, a few days later I get a call saying its not covered. So how does it go from being covered to not being covered in a matter of days. This is a Samsung problem that they are aware of and they should cover all repairs not just the ones they feel like covering.
Imagine if Ford or the ever popular Toyota recalled certain models of dcars for problems but the leave out the lx models...yet the lx models have all the same problems that the other cars are having...and they are not covered??? This is CRAP and Samsung must be held accountable for it!!!!

Sorry I will get off my soap box now
post #606 of 846 Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 AM

We're with you WJ. The power of these forums is that we can get together and bring other issues to the attention of Samsung (or attorneys, if need be). They may be excluding our models because they haven't heard many complaints yet.

Keep the model numbers coming...

HT Enthusiast, starving for information to create a truly custom HT.
post #607 of 846 Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM

so I got a call from my repair shop saying they just talked to samsung and its not covered...again.
So I call Samsung and talk to the same Lady I spoke with and sent pics to the other day...she says its the white dot issue and it should be covered. After waiting on the phone for 10 mins, she called therepair shop and they are now covering my repair costs...I will only be out $100 for the repairshop fee for coming and picking up my TV ..and I wont fight that but I am happy they say its covered today...but I still dont have it bacl so we will see
post #608 of 846 Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 AM

My TV is fixed and home ..YEAH!!!!

Samsung covered my repair so I save $438 in repais costs. I ended up paying $100 for pick up and delivery from the repair company but thats nothing compared to the additional $438 that i would have had to pay.

Thank you Samsung for covering my repair on my Samsung HL-S5687w !!!
post #609 of 846 Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 AM

My Samsung TV screen, when swithed on is now white. You can bareley make out the images in the abckground and there is no soud. I have been told its a problem with the video board? Can I repair it and where can I get the part from?
post #610 of 846 Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2by4 View Post

Ordered and replaced my DMD. Process was low stress thanks to the pdfs and advice here, Everything went back together no problems, TV fired up with no dots. We had a celbratory dinner and sat down to watch the TV we had just fixed and the picture is very bad. There is a problem with picture quality. (fuzzy with some ghosting and odd metalic brightness on colors that do not need it, and we have some thin horizontal bars that are light reddish in color and run from side to side. Any thoughts on what to check? We are going to go back in to check that all cables are tight and secure. Anything else to consider other than that I may havd a dud DMD replacement?

You need to focus the picture using the focus ring a the front of the light engine. loosen the small screw to the left of the right , focus to your satisfaction then tighten the screw. Good luck.
post #611 of 846 Old 09-15-2010, 10:03 PM

OK now I have a new problem...I have what looks like smudges on the screen in a few different areas. When the cable box is off you can see hand size circles of lights...not the white dot issue.

So I called the repair place again and they now say I have a light engine issue that I didnt have when they took it for the white dot issue. So I called Samsung again and they say that this isnt covered.

Does anyone have any info on a light engine issue or replacement???
Thanks in advance
post #612 of 846 Old 09-18-2010, 07:56 AM

great thread, thanks so much to pez and all the other help out there.

so i ordered my dmd replacement, opened up my tv, installed it, took a deep breath and went to turn it on...and then it turns right back off. I look over than the green lamp button is blinking now. When i hit power the TV doesn't even seem to 'start up'. Not really sure what to do. The TV worked fine and just had the white dot problem previous to my replacement of the DMD chip.

Any ideas? thanks in advance!
post #613 of 846 Old 09-24-2010, 03:19 PM

why does my Samsung HLT5075S goes into protection mode
post #614 of 846 Old 09-26-2010, 12:48 PM

My HLT6176S started having the white dot issue about 3 weeks ago. I called Samsung, they told me it wasn't covered since my set is just over 3 years old. (I should've been persistent I suppose, seeing as they eventually caved for a few people on here...oh well)

I used this thread in order to know to go to samsungparts.com, looked up the DLP chip and ordered it. Then I used the disassembly/reassembly instructions for a different model that someone posted early in this thread to reference when building up my confidence in knowing what to do to replace my chip.

I received the part, opened up the set, knew exactly where I needed to go (thanks to the pdf), disassembled enough to take the board out (so I could remove the chip from the backside). I cleaned the clear plastic/glass cover on my new chip with a lens cleaner (had some smudges on it from handling it at the factory most likely). I installed it, reassembled everything, plugged everything back in, fired it up and VOILA, NO MORE WHITE DOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to everyone on here for all of the information!

I paid $1400 for this TV 3 years ago, and this repair cost me $270 for the DLP chip and $10 for the thermal paste that I used instead of the thermal pad that the factory used.

I would've had to pay over $2000 or so to replace this TV with a new 61" (once you go big, you stay big) equivalent TV (LCD or plasma).

I used the thermal paste this time, hopefully the heat will be less of an issue with the paste vs. the cheap pad Samsung used. I bet Samsung is pissed they tried to save a few bucks and use the pads instead of just using a thermal paste.

Picture is clear and perfect, I am FIRED UP!

Thanks to everyone!
post #615 of 846 Old 10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
We have a 4676S that just recently has 8 black dots showing on light colored screen pictures. Is this the DMD chip failure as well?
post #616 of 846 Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

We have a 4676S that just recently has 8 black dots showing on light colored screen pictures. Is this the DMD chip failure as well?

Certainly sounds like it could be... If the mirror dies in the "on" position, you get a white dot. If it dies in the "off" position then you get a black dot.

I think most of us had a mixture of both, although the white ones are more noticeable.
post #617 of 846 Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Just wanted to once again thank the fabulous denizens of AVS. I started getting white dots on my almost 4-yo Samsung DLP HLS4266WX/XAA last Thursday. It started with 4, and then the rabbit action happened.

On Friday afternoon, I got on the boards here and figured out what I needed to do. I called Samsung, and after a short hold, before I even asked for this, the CSR told me this would be covered as a one-time issue at their expense. I am looking forward to a call from a local tech on Monday to set up an appt to replace the DMD.

We also have a 50" Samsung DLP which we bought in March 2004, which we still love and is our main TV. We bought it after many hours of studying the AVS Forum. I just replaced the lamp on it two months ago (first time), and it's like a new TV.

The 42" with the current DMD issue had the lamp go bad within the first month in Dec 2006, and Samsung sent a tech with a new lamp immediately.

So, our overall experience with Samsung DLPs has been positive. I still love the look of the DLP better than the other technologies. And when the issues have cropped up, I always know where to go first for help. And, armed with what I learn here, Samsung has stepped up when we needed it.

So thanks to all you guys!

Robin

PS: I might be a little sad when the white dots go. It's almost as if there's a secret wormhole into a far away cosmos, and as the dots multiply, I'm getting closer and closer... But that's probably an issue for a different forum.
post #618 of 846 Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody replaced the DMD themselves and then had success getting Samsung to reimburse for the part cost? I would rather not have any of my local electronics repair pit crews touching my set. They were out about a year ago on another Samsung set I had and they only made matters worse. Samsung had to buy the set back from me.
post #619 of 846 Old 10-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Has anybody replaced the DMD themselves and then had success getting Samsung to reimburse for the part cost? I would rather not have any of my local electronics repair pit crews touching my set. They were out about a year ago on another Samsung set I had and they only made matters worse. Samsung had to buy the set back from me.

I did, via the New Jersey State Attorney General's office. (Read posts 525 - 538ish back here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post17874491)

However, I repaired my set long before Samsung had admitted there was a problem. Now that they have a policy in place for handling these cases, they may not be as willing to reimburse? I guess you could claim you didn't know about it until after you repaired your set...
post #620 of 846 Old 10-11-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezJunkie View Post

I did, via the New Jersey State Attorney General's office. (Read posts 525 - 538ish back here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post17874491)

However, I repaired my set long before Samsung had admitted there was a problem. Now that they have a policy in place for handling these cases, they may not be as willing to reimburse? I guess you could claim you didn't know about it until after you repaired your set...

I'm just trying to keep the gorillas from screwing up my set. They were out twice on a 61A750 I had a problem with and I couldn't believe how rough and sloppy they were. And it was 2 completely different guys both times! Made me completely loose faith in TV repair techs.
post #621 of 846 Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 PM

HS467S here - about 20 white dots started appearing plus some shadowing.. Called up Samsung and as a "one time courtesy" they are fixing it for free

Great service IMO assuming they follow through.. Thanks everyone for posting, I wouldn't have called them had I not found this post...
post #622 of 846 Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejai View Post

HS467S here - about 20 white dots started appearing plus some shadowing.. Called up Samsung and as a "one time courtesy" they are fixing it for free

Great service IMO assuming they follow through.. Thanks everyone for posting, I wouldn't have called them had I not found this post...

Just a follow up, they came today and fixed it in 20 minutes. The guy who came was insanely nice, knew what he was doing completely... Samsung = top notch service.. Will definitely buy another Samsung in the future..

It's so hard these days to find a company who cares as much about keeping a customer as it does getting one.. I'm a happy dude tonight
post #623 of 846 Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 PM

Hello...first off, thanks to this forum I became aware of the cause of the problem and that I could get it fixed for free. Our DLP is just a month shy of being 4 years old (HLS5086WX). About 2 months ago the first dot appeared (as a flickering dot). By yesterday it had grown into 10 white dots and 2 flickering dots. About 2 weeks ago I phoned Samsung (At the time I had 5 dots) and told them I had the white dot issue. They asked how many dots, the model and serial number and issued a ticket number. I was told I'd be contacted by a repair shop and if the problem wasn't with the DMD chip that I would be responsible for the repair as the set was out of warranty. (They also said this would be a one time fix). Three days later I was contacted by the repair shop and they told me they'd order the part and phone me when it comes in. Today they came to the house and repaired the TV. According to my wife it took them 45 minutes and the picture is as good as new (though there's no sound from the satellite box...I suspect they missed plugging in all the cables for that as it plugs into the component jacks. I'll have a look at it when I get home).

I had her ask if I could keep the old chip, but he has to send it back to Samsung (who I guess is sending it back to TI for reimbursement). Overall I'm quite pleased with how this was handled and am no longer upset with Samsung...they set things right with little fuss on my part.

I'm going to sort of miss those white dots...after I new the repair was coming it became kind of fun looking for new dots....
Craig
post #624 of 846 Old 10-20-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I've tried to contact Samsung by email twice in the last week with no reply. Has anybody been successful with email contact for the white dot issue?
post #625 of 846 Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Just following up to my post of Oct 10: The local repair guy sent by Samsung came to the house and replaced the DMD chip. Painless and quick. The white dots are now gone.

I guess I'm completely through the wormhole. Looks the same as the other dimension...
post #626 of 846 Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ007 View Post

OK now I have a new problem...I have what looks like smudges on the screen in a few different areas. When the cable box is off you can see hand size circles of lights...not the white dot issue.

So I called the repair place again and they now say I have a light engine issue that I didnt have when they took it for the white dot issue. So I called Samsung again and they say that this isnt covered.

Does anyone have any info on a light engine issue or replacement???
Thanks in advance

You had the 5687 right? You replaced the DMD board, which fixed the white dot issue, but then you got this new issue?

Damn. I have the same problem with the same model and am looking into replacing the DMD board (but having problems finding the part number), but if it's looking like you'll have to replace the entire light engine, maybe I'll just look into buying a whole new TV. GDit.
post #627 of 846 Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfletcha View Post

You had the 5687 right? You replaced the DMD board, which fixed the white dot issue, but then you got this new issue?

Damn. I have the same problem with the same model and am looking into replacing the DMD board (but having problems finding the part number), but if it's looking like you'll have to replace the entire light engine, maybe I'll just look into buying a whole new TV. GDit.

Is it possible that this is just light leaking out of the projection assembly some place? Like from a shroud or cover that isn't all the way in place?
post #628 of 846 Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfletcha View Post

well the repari man said it was a light engine issue...which if I remembefr correctly had a class action lawsuit attached to it. But since I dont have the shadows on either side of the screen, my problem doesnt apply. So I am living with my light ghosts on the screen till I can get an answer from Samsung or I get the shadows on either side then perhaps I can get it fixed for free.
If not then eventually I will get a new Tv and trust me it wont be a Samsung!!!!!!!!
post #629 of 846 Old 12-19-2010, 06:13 PM

I read this forum after two white dots appeared on my screen two days ago, now I have 5 dots!
I was concerned because one forum said they would stop fixing these for free on 12/31/10.
I called samsung as soon as I read that. The first agent told me "No that model is not covered" I then asked to speak to someone else . . .she connected me with some sort of "executive customer service agent"
I told her I didn't see why this particular size HLT model wasn't covered while others with smaller screens were---she then "investigated the matter" and returned with "a technician will contact you within two days to schedule a one time repair free of charge" (only free if that really is the problem).

Moral of the story . . . .don't take no for an answer!
post #630 of 846 Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 AM

My .02 cents-

I have a 67" DLP with the LED light engine. I now have a big white dot almost dead center of the screen. I called Samsung customer service twice and was refused warranty coverage twice. I filed a complaint with the BBB about a week ago. Today I received a call from someone at Samsung. They will not cover the repair but offered to cover the part and me pay for the install from one of their authorized people.

Thats pretty lame. $2000 for a 67" set with the same problems and no coverage?
Thanks Samsung.

I will have to price the chip Vs. having some unknown hack touching my equipment.
If they truly leave me hanging on this one it's my last Samsung purchase,ever.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page