Samsung DMD board replacement - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 846 Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting a huge runaround by Samsung. Another guy on here with the EXACT same tv got a free chip but no luck for me. Here's where Jessica B. gave a free chip away

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_10...sts;msg5259414

Here's Jessica's response to me AFTER pointing out to her that she PERSONALLY gave a chip to a guy with the exact same tv.

Hi James,
We apologize for your frustration; Samsung would not be able to grant your request for your television to be covered under warranty. Although, some models are being covered for free of charge parts replacement under Samsung policy. Anything outside of policy is evaluated on a case by case basis. As previously mentioned, other customers' resolutions are not relevant in determining whether or not your unit qualifies for a free repair. We do apologize but cannot make any accommodations. We can refer you to an authorized Samsung Center but you will be responsible for any repairs needed.

If you would like to contact an authorized service center in your area, you can find one here:

http://smsn.us/FindService

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation in the manner.

Warm regards,

Jessica B.
@SamsungSupport
Samsung Electronics Social Media Support Team
--------------------------------------------------

I considered getting a friend to call the Samsung number folks recommended since I can't talk due to disease, but I figured I'd just buy the part and have a handy friend install it and avoid the drama. But the Samsung parts list shows 2 chips for my tv. I sent an info request to Samsung for the correct part number and status of the back order situation, but it's been a whole week and no reply other than to say they got my question and would reply within 1 working day. Yeah right. Here's my request for info
"The Samsung parts store shows 2 dlp chips for my HLT6756WX/XAA model tv. serial # AJHJ3CKP700364Y

4719-001969 and 4719-001997

Which one do I need? Also, the 001997 said it was on a back order. Is that still the case?"

I feel totally on my own. 20+ dots and more every day. Zero help from samsung.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 846 Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldrijt View Post

I'm getting a huge runaround by Samsung. Another guy on here with the EXACT same tv got a free chip but no luck for me. Here's where Jessica B. gave a free chip away

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_10...sts;msg5259414

Here's Jessica's response to me AFTER pointing out to her that she PERSONALLY gave a chip to a guy with the exact same tv.

Hi James,
We apologize for your frustration; Samsung would not be able to grant your request for your television to be covered under warranty. Although, some models are being covered for free of charge parts replacement under Samsung policy. Anything outside of policy is evaluated on a case by case basis. As previously mentioned, other customers' resolutions are not relevant in determining whether or not your unit qualifies for a free repair. We do apologize but cannot make any accommodations. We can refer you to an authorized Samsung Center but you will be responsible for any repairs needed.

If you would like to contact an authorized service center in your area, you can find one here:

http://smsn.us/FindService

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation in the manner.

Warm regards,

Jessica B.
@SamsungSupport
Samsung Electronics Social Media Support Team
--------------------------------------------------

I considered getting a friend to call the Samsung number folks recommended since I can't talk due to disease, but I figured I'd just buy the part and have a handy friend install it and avoid the drama. But the Samsung parts list shows 2 chips for my tv. I sent an info request to Samsung for the correct part number and status of the back order situation, but it's been a whole week and no reply other than to say they got my question and would reply within 1 working day. Yeah right. Here's my request for info
"The Samsung parts store shows 2 dlp chips for my HLT6756WX/XAA model tv. serial # AJHJ3CKP700364Y

4719-001969 and 4719-001997

Which one do I need? Also, the 001997 said it was on a back order. Is that still the case?"

I feel totally on my own. 20+ dots and more every day. Zero help from samsung.

Jim

you not alone my friend.

they told me no too. I have a hlt-6176S.

I have the repair guy coming today. He will put in the new chip for 340 total.

he called at 11a.m. to tell me hell be here at 5-6... glad I took the whole day off..

not

I just want this behind me.

got tired or arguing with them.
post #753 of 846 Old 02-15-2012, 03:48 PM

I got my tv back, I got my tv back.

woohooo.

repair guy just left, total was 335 for new dmd chip install.

he also dusted everything inside where he was working. I asked him to clean the polarized glass and teh convex mirror. I also had him put in the bulb I had previously bought in.

WOW, the PQ is unreal, holy moly is it brighter. Time to recal

I can't believe what a difference cleaning the convex mirror, polarized glass, and other mirror located on top of the convex mirror can make.

seriously guys, if you are having a repair done ask him to clean these, you can't believe how much the dust kill the PQ. It makes it look grainy when in fact it isn't

I had a long thread here about dust on the convex mirror a while back as I cleaned it myself a long time ago. It was definitively due again.

biggest thing he said is DO NOT PRESS HARD, if you cave it in at all you screwed.

I the PQ is awsome again
post #754 of 846 Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Put my ebay mirror chip and new lamp in yesterday! Awesome picture, truly like new. Much brighter. Took a little over 2 hours being very slow and careful. Vacuumed a lot of dust but not enough to have caused the problem. Samsung sucks but I'm happy today.

Jim
post #755 of 846 Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Just an update. I changed out the DMD chip and took the opportunity to change out the ballast as well. No issues other than it took me awhile to get the alignment right. Currently, I have some black "splotches" in very dark scenes I'm trying to track down, but they aren't too bothersome. I assume I just got something dirty in the optics...if anyone knows what that is let me know.
post #756 of 846 Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty08 View Post

Just an update. I changed out the DMD chip and took the opportunity to change out the ballast as well. No issues other than it took me awhile to get the alignment right. Currently, I have some black "splotches" in very dark scenes I'm trying to track down, but they aren't too bothersome. I assume I just got something dirty in the optics...if anyone knows what that is let me know.

dust on the DMD chip or convex mirror
post #757 of 846 Old 03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
So I have a HLT4675SX/XAA with white dots and just got off the phone with Samsung.

I'm told I will be getting a "free" one-time DMD replacement, but the last person I spoke to said it's a "FEE" replacement because I have to pay for labor!

I need to wait for the TV Repair place to call before I find out how much the labor will be. I was also told that Samsung will not allow me to install it.

Best luck to y'all.

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
post #758 of 846 Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM

Yeah the chip is free of charge, it's the labor you pay for.

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #759 of 846 Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Need HELP Repairing Samsung 50 DLP HLN5065WX/XAA.

The color wheel had disintegrated...found and vacuumed the shattered pieces. In my effort to replace the color wheel, I damaged (more like destroyed) the white plastic female connector attached to the blue/white/white wire that goes to DMD board. I was following the instructions to replace the color wheel (Jangro.com) and can see pictures of the connector but can not clearly ascertain (1) their respective positions (top to bottom) and (2) the order of the wires. My son was assisting me and his excitement dislodged the wires before we could take note of this information.

While I am hopeful that I can find a replacement connector, I am more concerned about the order and their respective positions for and order of the blue, white, and white wires. There are four positions in the female connector. The insulation for the 3 wires are bundled with the blue on one edge, white in middle, and another white on the other edge. It appears the blue goes into the bottom but how do the other two white wires line up into the remaining pin positions and in what middle then outer, or outer then middle?

Worse case scenario, I will reuse and salvage the remnants of the old connector and glue the pins into position. Another possibility is to modify and use an old computer audio MD to CDROM cable...if it fits.

Oh, incidentally, the TV doesn't work...only sound without any picture. Because of the above problem with the DMD connector, I am reluctant to buy either a new ballast or lamp. And can't tell if the color wheel is bad.

Look forward to hearing from someone. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
post #760 of 846 Old 04-14-2012, 07:09 AM

I have a Samsung model HL_T6756W purchased in 08 . Has the dreaded white dots. Contacted Samsung ( go pound sand ) $800 per year for a tv sounds alittle high to me.
post #761 of 846 Old 05-08-2012, 04:21 PM

As of 5/8/2012 Samsung is still offering free in-home repair service for the "white dot" issue. I submitted my support request via the Samsung Support facebook page. The whole conversation to-date is below. I hope to update when the repair is complete.

-------------
ME, via Support Request:
Summary :HLT5676SX XAA with white dots.
Details : I have a 56" DLP (HLT5676SX XAA) which has started showing several white dots on the screen and has gotten progressively worse. This appears to be a known issue with Samsung DLPs. Is Samsung able to support this issue? The TV was purchased ~August 2007...

SAMSUNG:
We apologize for any inconveniences and we are happy to help. Could you please give me your serial number?

ME:
The serial number for the TV is [deleted].

SAMSUNG:
If your unit exhibits white dots appearing on the screen on all sources and channels, Samsung will provide a onetime courtesy repair to replace the DMD chip. However, should the issue not be related to the DMD chip, you will be offered an estimate for repair and be responsible for the trip charge. Do you consent to these conditions? Please respond by providing your address and the serial number for your device.

ME:
[reply with address and phone number for scheduling repair visit]
post #762 of 846 Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM
sjf
AVS Special Member

Well they aren't doing that for all affected sets. They refused (multiple times) to do anything for my 2007 HLT6187SX/XAA. Claimed it was normal wear-and-tear. I've filed a complaint with the NJ Atty. General's office of Consumer Affairs. (4/25/2012) I, too, went through Facebook Support.

A second was defined in 1967 as "the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the Cesium-133 atom."
post #763 of 846 Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

We had the white dots show up on our HLT5676SX/XAA a few weeks ago. After reading online about the difficulties some were having with Samsung support I was hesitant to call.

More dots kept showing up each day so I called last week. The rep indicated that Samsung would perform a free one time fix. The tech came out yesterday and had it fixed in about 15-20 minutes.

I was pleasantly surprised with the service - I am sorry to hear that others are having issues.
post #764 of 846 Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 PM

Repair tech came about a week ago. White dots are gone, but before I contacted tech support, I disassembled a few components on my own. I assumed that since it was out of warranty I would be replacing the DMD myself, so I took the liberty of removing a few parts. I guess I went too far, because now the picture is out of focus. My sister-in-law was here when the repair was done, and tech said he wouldn't adjust the focus because that was not covered in the free DMD replacement service. I would've paid the guy to re-focus the thing, but I wasn't here, so I wasn't able to make that offer. Now I've got to look for a how-to guide on focusing a DLP (or take it in for service). Any suggestions?

--UPDATE 5/30/2012--

Bought/downloaded the service manual from https://www.completeservicemanuals.com/. Cost $8 and had all the info I needed to adjust my tilt and focus. I'm sure the focus could be better, but I got it close enough for me. Thanks to SJF and everyone else on this form for their help.
post #765 of 846 Old 05-28-2012, 06:15 PM
sjf
AVS Special Member

Well, on my model, there is a focus adjustment dial in front of the DMD board. you can get a service manual for instructions if you can't find it. Did you turn anything? It's kinda difficult to get to while operating, you have to move the main board assy out of the way. PM me if you need more info.

A second was defined in 1967 as "the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the Cesium-133 atom."
post #766 of 846 Old 05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
sjf
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eijaoae View Post

$350 of that is a core charge which is supposed to be refunded back if you send them your old engine assembly.

The core "charge" (actually a credit) for the DMD chip itself is $50 where I've seen it offered. But that is for a chip costing about $290. I found the chip from a 3rd party for $188 -- no core rebate. (A chip removed from a "cosmetically damaged" new set. Not factory new, but no hours of operation either.)

post #767 of 846 Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM

Screen started showing the white dots, made contact with 1 800 Samsung.

I Have Model HLT6176SX/XXA Will receive a one time courtesy repair.

Thought maybe this info would be helpful to others who are having the same problem.
post #768 of 846 Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Could something bad on the DVD board cause a problem where your remote control or tv panel buttons do not function, and when any button is touched, the "timer" light on the TV panel flashes?
post #769 of 846 Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 AM

I now join the list of people experiencing the white dot explosion. I have a 61 inch 2009 Samsung hl61a750a1fxza. It started with horizontal fuzz and quickly transition to increasing white dots. Now there are thousands. Online contact with Samsung was of no use. Need to call and find a way to get this dmd part. Being outside the US with the tv now should be interesting.
post #770 of 846 Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM

White dot extravaganza on my Samsung DLP TV!
Model is HLT6189SX/XAA.
Samsung said [paraphrasing], "Sorry, your TV was manufactured in March 2007, and the TVs with defective chips stopped production in 2006. Your TV is experiencing normal wear-and-tear. Our engineers have not seen an unusual failure rate with the chip installed in your TV."
Got a quote of $350 from a local repair place to replace the DMD board on-site in my living room. I am not pleased at all with Samsung right now! I know these sets were never meant to last forever, but a 5-year lifespan seems pretty short.
post #771 of 846 Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 AM

"They denied any abnormality on my HL61a750? "Normal wear and tear." 100,000 hour design life yet only 1000 for me. I bought the dmd chip for $200 and will attempt my own replacement. If that fails, say hello to Vizio, goodbye to Samsung, forever.
post #772 of 846 Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM

I got a huge runaround by Samsung; they refused to acknowledge it was a problem, so I got it fixed on my own.

Two months later, red LED dies. One week later, DMD board dies. No picture except white dots. Under 1500 hours of use. I'm at the point where I don't want to bother with the TV itself; I would just like them to pay for the repair I had to pay for last time, since everything with this TV is failing.
post #773 of 846 Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM

I have one white dot appearing in the middle of my screen - HL-S5086W. Mfg Date: Feb. 2007.

I thought I would be covering the cost myself but after reading this thread I learned that Samsung will sometimes cover the cost.

On the online chat the representative told me that Samsung would not cover the fix. So I called, and the rep on the phone confirmed my model and serial numbers, and told me that Samsung would cover the one-time DMD replacement free of charge.

Interestingly enough, this TV was a replacement for a Samsung DLP I bought in 2003. For that one I got the Best Buy extended warranty. It had it's color wheel replaced, and then needed another replacement (of the entire light engine), but that part wasn't available for several weeks so Best Buy just replaced the whole TV under the terms of the extended warranty. So that's 2 Samsung DLP's that haven't yet made it 10 years (together) without needing repairs.

flamtap
post #774 of 846 Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM

I have the HL67A750A1FXZA. Have called Samsung numerous times and spoken to ECS. Seems to them they are not responsible for this model as this model isn't in the "defective" model list. Well since they don't want to cover the costs, and a new TV is out of the question, I've decided to replace it myself. Found this part.

I have no idea how to replace the part or if this is the part that will fix my white dot issue. Can someone point me to some information about how to replace it? Seems more difficult than I originally thought. Not only can I not find a guide to replace it, I don't know if this part is what I need to fix the white dots. I've read through some pages of this thread but there are 26 pages! Not enough time to read every single reply. Thanks for any help and good luck to getting your TVs fixed.
post #775 of 846 Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM

I have a HL67A750A1FXZA. Is this the part that I need to fix the white dots?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Mitsubishi-Toshiba-4719-001997-Chip/dp/B007JY58FM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348068229&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+dlp+dmd+board

EDIT: Forgot to mention that 2 HDMI ports aren't working. Can't find what part I need anywhere. Anyone care to point me in the right direction to get that board?
post #776 of 846 Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 AM

Hello, I am also new to this forum. I got the same problem as you have. let's work togather to fix it.
You have HL67A750, I have HL67A150. I guess they are similiar models in the same year (2008?).
In answering your questions, Yes, white dots are caused by the failure of DLP chip.
And, yes, the "4719-001997" DLP chip is the right part for your model - see the following link):
http://www.tvserviceparts.com/Samsung_DMD_Chips.html?gclid=CIHiyOHl17ICFWdxQgodpyQArQ
How to replace this chip? There are many video clips on YouTube to show you how to replace the DLP chip. Here is a good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Jex2iJKvM
Click around on YouTube, you will find more video on the white dots problems and how to replace the DLP chip (Do a search on YouTube with keyword"Samsung DLP TV chip replace white dots ...).
To replace the DLP won't be that hard. Probably just a little complicated than replacing the lamp. I've just replaced the lamp in my HL67A150 couple of weeks ago. Replacing lamp isn't hard at all.
I have just placed an order on Amazon.com to buy the "4719-001997" ($195, free shipping, seller: "Bulb World"). It will take one or two weeks to receive it. I am going to replace the DLP chip after I receive it.
About the HDMI ports?! I don't know anything about it. It seems the following link didn't have the HDMI parts either:
http://www.tvserviceparts.com/HL67A750A1FXZA.html
You may find something if you do a Google search with the key world "Samsung DLP TV HDMI port part repplace ..."
My question for you: How you like the HL67A750? It uses the LED instead of the lamp. I am quite disappointed at the DLP TV. It seems you have to replace something (lamp, DLP chip) every couple of years. I wonder how long the LCD/LED TV will last? Probably I should buy LCD/LED TV next time.
post #777 of 846 Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 PM

Thank you very much for the reply! I was waiting for somebody to help me with information before I bought the part given that the part is not cheap. I watched the video and it does look a little complicated but the video walks you through it. Hopefully I won't run into any problems. I will order it sometime this month (October), then I will let you know how it goes for me. I hope that you can replace yours and that it works well for you.

Unfortunately I still can't find the replacement HDMI panel. I think that once I open the TV to install the DLP chip I will get the part number off the HDMI board and search it. I hadn't thought about doing that until now haha. Hopefully it does have a part number.

Honestly I wasn't even aware that my model used an LED lamp instead of the regular lamp. I checked last week to see how many hours the lamp had and it was just under 6500 hours. The TV stills looks amazing (aside from the white dots). The only problem is with dark scenes- if there is a dark scene and the windows in the house are open it can be very hard to see the dark areas. I assume that happens with all TVs tho. I love the quality of the picture and the size of screen, but I was not expecting parts to start failing so soon on such an expensive device. I assume the lamp will go out next, likely before it gets to 8000 hours. I think that our next TV will not be a DLP, even tho I love how big their screens can be.

EDIT: Well I just did a bit of research and it seems that this LED lighting last longer than regular lamps. Maybe it will go past 8000 hours. Also found out that it doesn't use a color wheel. All this time I thought it was a regular DLP tv with a lamp. Or maybe it is and I have no idea what I'm talking about, lol.
post #778 of 846 Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathgeek97 View Post

White dot extravaganza on my Samsung DLP TV!
Model is HLT6189SX/XAA.
Samsung said [paraphrasing], "Sorry, your TV was manufactured in March 2007, and the TVs with defective chips stopped production in 2006. Your TV is experiencing normal wear-and-tear. Our engineers have not seen an unusual failure rate with the chip installed in your TV."
Got a quote of $350 from a local repair place to replace the DMD board on-site in my living room. I am not pleased at all with Samsung right now! I know these sets were never meant to last forever, but a 5-year lifespan seems pretty short.

Complete BS. I have the exact same model, purchased when it first came out in spring of 2007. It seems obvious these later models have the same problem, but took longer for it to manifest (5 year range). I also purchased a 5 year warranty from Crutchfield and the problem first appeared at 5 years, 3 months (2 months ago or so). Grrr.

I was just going to take my lumps and pay for the repair, seeing so many people having trouble with Samsung service. But now it seems they need to hear from more of us before they believe the "unusual failure rate". This snowstorm of white dots I have now is not "normal wear-and-tear".
post #779 of 846 Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM

In a huge surprise, today Samsung declined my generous offer to have them fix my HLT6189SX/XAA at no cost to me. ;-)
My second offer was to save my repair receipt, so they can reimburse me when they eventually see a high enough "failure rate". ;-)
Just mind boggling they cannot admit the very same problem they've been seeing for years in their older DLP models. Simply defies logic.
Except for the fact, when they are finally forced to fix 1 set, they'll have to fix them all. Stonewalling at the start saves them money.
But we all know customer service & standing behind your product trails way behind paying executives Millions and stockholder's dividends.

I now own 4 Samsung TVs--2 DLPS and 2 newer, smaller LED/LCDs.
The 'funniest' thing is, on my older DLP I have replaced the bulb once, but have had no other problems. And I was sold (partly) on the newer DLP (didn't want to pay for plasma & LED/LCDs weren't big enough back then) due to the new LED, longer-lasting light source. Yep, it has lasted all this time--5.5 years of very heavy use--but the DMD board is junk.
Guess, what? I'd rather go through the simple procedure of replacing a light bulb than having a chip/board that doesn't last 5 measly years.
Next purchase will probably a Sharp Aquos LED/LCD, fwiw.
post #780 of 846 Old 10-06-2012, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This thread is a little old, though maybe getting my experience in here will help someone else out.

My Samsung HLT5076SX got its first white dot in December of 2011. At that time I tried the channels for getting Samsung to repair it and they said they would cover the chip and not the install. I wasn't satisfied with that so I used the TV for a few months until it got too bad and then borrowed a TV from my father-in-law since the summer was no time to purchase a new TV. The prices were CRAZY! As we're nearing Christmas I figured I would give one more shot with Samsung. So I went to their Samsung Support page on Facebook and submitted a support request. In less than a day I received a message back from them stating that they would fix the DMD chip at no cost as long as I agreed that if the chip wasn't the issue, then I would pay for the service call. I easily agreed with this since I knew that was the issue. I sent back my address, which is in Canada, and they said they couldn't help me since they're US support, though would forward the request to Samsung Canada. So a couple of days later I received a call from Samsung Canada and they said they would fix the issue as well. So Yay, though not quite yet. A day later the service is cancelled. So I set up a new time and they cancel it again. Then I call back and find out that the service company reminded Samsung that they don't fix my model of TV and said I was out of luck. Obviously I wasn't satisfied with this since three other people said it was no problem and now this one person was denying the repair. The last guy even said it wasn't the DMD chip that was faulty, but instead gave me a part number, which ended up being a DMD chip. WTF! Anyways, I asked to talk to a supervisor and he said I was SOL and that Level 3 or whatever said no dice and it hadn't made "the list" yet. So I asked when I should call back to once my TV is on "the list" eventually get the part replaced and after saying that he asked if I could send in some pictures showing the issues and he would push it up to Level 3 to review. So I sent in some nice pictures showing nice light and dark pixels on the screen to prove that it's the DMD chips issue. And alas, 4 days later I received a call from the repair company asking me to set up a time and just yesterday they came and fixed the TV for a one-time out of warranty repair!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SAMSUNG!!! You have restored my faith in your brand!!

Anyways, that was a long story, though I hope it helps someone with their issues and this faulty chip.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page