Samsung DMD board replacement - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 846 Old 02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good news, Joe! One way or another it looks like you may find a good solution to the problem. Let us know how it works out...

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 846 Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

For the record. (Photo has been taken with a tripod.)
LL
LL
post #63 of 846 Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 AM

Yep........THAT looks familiar...
post #64 of 846 Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezJunkie View Post

4719-001968 Type A (PB01 sets)

4719-001981 Type X (PB02 sets)

Little update for everybody.

I can confirm that these part numbers are, indeed, the correct parts for the DMD panel. UPS just delivered mine this afternoon.

This weekend is going to be busy, but I'm hoping to get this swapped out on Saturday. I'll let everybody know how it goes.
LL
post #65 of 846 Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Good luck, Pez! Hope it goes well for you.

post #66 of 846 Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Little update for everybody.

I can confirm that these part numbers are, indeed, the correct parts for the DMD panel. UPS just delivered mine this afternoon.

This weekend is going to be busy, but I'm hoping to get this swapped out on Saturday. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

Pez, GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND !

Yes, I see the pin configuration on two sides which makes it the PB02 type DLP.

Can you comment on what appears to be scratches on it ? I presume this was a refurbished unit. How much did it set you back ?

Also your photo says 3 views but when I bring it up I only see the rear view of the DMD panel.

Final comment, be careful when you take off the heat sink, the spring loaded arm that holds it onto the DMD panel is tricky to get off. There is also a small soft grey piece that sits on top of the DMD panel to maintain thermal contact with the heat sink. Keep that in one piece and put it back on as flat and uniform as possible since this is important to uniformly cool the DLP. One thing I noticed on my TV is that the white specs are denser on the left side of the TV screen versus the right. I presume that the heat sink was not uniformly in contact with the chip so one side ran hotter than the other and more mirco-mirrors failed.

When you take you DLP panel off look at the points where the pins of the DMD panel rested on the DMD board to see if there is any indication that some pin contacts or pads were different with possible less pressure or corrosion. You may want to clean the pads if there is evidence of corrosion. Also, if the pins on the DLP seem to have different contact the DMD board may have warped. Seems I recall hearing something like that too???
post #67 of 846 Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Demuth View Post

Pez, GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND !

Yes, I see the pin configuration on two sides which makes it the PB02 type DLP.

Can you comment on what appears to be scratches on it ? I presume this was a refurbished unit. How much did it set you back ?

Also your photo says 3 views but when I bring it up I only see the rear view of the DMD panel.

Final comment, be careful when you take off the heat sink, the spring loaded arm that holds it onto the DMD panel is tricky to get off. There is also a small soft grey piece that sits on top of the DMD panel to maintain thermal contact with the heat sink. Keep that in one piece and put it back on as flat and uniform as possible since this is important to uniformly cool the DLP. One thing I noticed on my TV is that the white specs are denser on the left side of the TV screen versus the right. I presume that the heat sink was not uniformly in contact with the chip so one side ran hotter than the other and more mirco-mirrors failed.

When you take you DLP panel off look at the points where the pins of the DMD panel rested on the DMD board to see if there is any indication that some pin contacts or pads were different with possible less pressure or corrosion. You may want to clean the pads if there is evidence of corrosion. Also, if the pins on the DLP seem to have different contact the DMD board may have warped. Seems I recall hearing something like that too???

It wasn't *listed* as a refurb, so it better not be.. =) After tax/shipping/etc it was ~$200 on either partstore.com or samsungparts.com. (I went with partstore.com because they said they had it in stock.)

I believe the "3 views" thing is the message board software counting the number of people who have viewed the picture. The picture I posted is only of the "back" of the chip, not the actual mirror side... So yes, there are scratches, but they shouldn't really matter on that side. (I can post a pic of the other side when I get home from work.)

Thanks for the heads-up on the heatsink. I'm a computer guy by trade, so I've got a little experience with heatsinks & the spring clip things that hold them on. I'll have to check if I have any thermal paste, in case that pad falls apart. Those are usually designed for one-time use.

I'll check the pins for contact/corrosion when I get it apart and let you know if I find anything there.
post #68 of 846 Old 02-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Mission completed. No more white spots!

The whole process took about an hour & a half. Nothing too hard, just a lot of little tedious steps. I looked through the alignment procedures, but my set didn't really need anything done to it.

If anybody else is going to attempt this on their own, shoot me a PM and I will share the documentation that I have. (The files are too big to attach to this post.)
post #69 of 846 Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mission completed. No more white spots!

The whole process took about an hour & a half. Nothing too hard, just a lot of little tedious steps. I looked through the alignment procedures, but my set didn't really need anything done to it.

If anybody else is going to attempt this on their own, shoot me a PM and I will share the documentation that I have. (The files are too big to attach to this post.)

Congradulations !

Did you find that you needed the heat sink paste or was the hest sink pad on your existing unit okay ? - Joe
post #70 of 846 Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Demuth View Post

Congradulations !

Did you find that you needed the heat sink paste or was the hest sink pad on your existing unit okay ? - Joe

I just reused the pad that was there, it was fine.

Since I told you I'd post it, I'm attaching the picture of the front side of the DMD panel. You can't see it in the picture, but there is a clear piece of glass(?) that covers the actual mirror. I suppose you could try cleaning/dusting that to see if it helps. I'm pretty sure my problem was more serious than just dust/dirt though.

I did find something interesting when looking at the old DMD. If you look at the mirror part at just the right angle, you can see pillar box bars down either side. Almost like some kind of burn-in type effect. (There's no way I could ever get a picture of it.)
LL
post #71 of 846 Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I just reused the pad that was there, it was fine.

Since I told you I'd post it, I'm attaching the picture of the front side of the DMD panel. You can't see it in the picture, but there is a clear piece of glass(?) that covers the actual mirror. I suppose you could try cleaning/dusting that to see if it helps. I'm pretty sure my problem was more serious than just dust/dirt though.

I did find something interesting when looking at the old DMD. If you look at the mirror part at just the right angle, you can see pillar box bars down either side. Almost like some kind of burn-in type effect. (There's no way I could ever get a picture of it.)

PexJunkie,

You have given me hope for my HLS-4266W.
I had already disassembled the three main boards and had photos ready to try auctioning parts on ebay.

My set started with the dead pixels (white) last fall and I replaced it with an LCD.

This would make a good second set if I could fix it for under 250.

Where can i find the PB01 versus PB02 info to deterime which DMD I need.
Originally Posted by PezJunkie

post #72 of 846 Old 02-21-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard429 View Post

Where can i find the PB01 versus PB02 info to deterime which DMD I need.

If you're in front of the TV, look on the right side of the set for a label with the model code, serial number and a version number.
post #73 of 846 Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 PM

Thanks,
Found it.

after disassemling so many modules with p/n's everwhere, i forgot to look next to my serial number ;^)

It's a PB02.
post #74 of 846 Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Thats great news Pez.....my wife was amazed how small the dmd panel was.
Its amazing what exchanging experience and knowledge can do.Thanks to all the new friends. Any of you guys need lawnmower advice..let me know.

After alot of persistance it looks like Samsung is stepping up for me with a parts only policy adjustment, set goes in the shop this week. It took a loooong time three faxes and sending set pics and sales receipt twice.

Funny part was people would start a file, then close for no reason. Samsung support is so layered, its like having 10 people make a pot of soup. Everybody does something including ones that aren't even a cook.
"Oh,you're calling about your HL-S4266W? How can I help you......er....what exactly is this? We make so many things I can't tell from the model number."
I actually had a converstaion that went that way and had to tell them it was a TV!

But now you got me wondering, its a 60 mile round trip (120 for two trips),you got joy in less than two hours, the labor is going to be what your panel is....I might just.........nah, i'm putting it in the shop.
post #75 of 846 Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Is this replacement doable for an average citizen....ie, not a tech guy. I damn sure don't want to buy a new tv. I'm up to 7 spots and growing daily. I appreciate the info on this thread. I had no idea what was going on until finding this.
post #76 of 846 Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atljad View Post

Is this replacement doable for an average citizen....ie, not a tech guy.

I think so. I've got a service manual thing that I can share with step by step directions and pictures. It's mostly unscrewing a bunch of screws and unplugging a bunch of cables.

The worst part for me was getting the little ribbon cable plugged back into the top of the DMD board. (It's the only one that doesn't have a little plastic clip thing on the end.)
post #77 of 846 Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I think so. I've got a service manual thing that I can share with step by step directions and pictures. It's mostly unscrewing a bunch of screws and unplugging a bunch of cables.

Well I'm back to square one....The shop that Samsung sent me to ....and gave the estimate that Samsung ACCEPTED....today informed me they are NOT a Samsung center for warranty repairs and I better contact Samsung as they can't order the parts.

I give up....where did you order your dmd board. I'll put the thing in myself.
post #78 of 846 Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naseqp View Post

I give up....where did you order your dmd board. I'll put the thing in myself.

I checked at samsungparts.com & partstore.com. Both places have them, and the prices were basically the same after taxes & shipping. I went with partstore.com because their site said it would ship the next day & samsungparts.com said 3 - 5 days.
post #79 of 846 Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Wow!! After several fruitless nights of searching, I was beginning to think I was never going to find an economical solution to my "white pixel" problem on my Samsung 50" DLP. From what I have read in this post, I assume PezJunkie's fix would apply to me? My DLP's numbers are as follows: Model #HLS5065WX/XAA; Serial #B1C93CKLC00556D; Version #PB02. PezJunkie, does this mean I would need the same chip as you? If not, could you help me determine which chip I need? Also, I currently only have (3) dead pixels and (1) flickering but others are starting to flicker. Should I wait and see how many go bad before pursuing the fix or is it all downhill from here? I did buy this unit at Sam's Club in March of 2007 on the Sam's Discover card so maybe I should pursue this through them. Anyone have an idea of how Sam's Club would handle this? A lot of questions I know but the economic situation has hit close to home and a new TV is not in my near future.

Chuck
post #80 of 846 Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM

According to this service bulletin, your set uses the same light engine as mine... So AFAIK, you should need the same part.

naseqp & I were discussing earlier... does everybody with this problem have the PB02 version? Makes you wonder if the PB01 was actually a better design before they changed it? (Or maybe they just sold a lot more of the PB02 sets?)
post #81 of 846 Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 AM

Chuck, very early on ,when I only had a few stuck mirrors, I read where you could completely unplug the TV, rest it and turn it back on as something to try. Never seen anything on that since .....and I can tell you ..it didn't work for me. Turned mine off several weeks back and using a 26" LCD from work while I wait for the board to get here.

Hate to tell you....It's downhill.
post #82 of 846 Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't have much hope for turning it off and seeing if it fixes anything. I replaced my DMD panel last Friday and 4 days later I can look at the old/bad one from just the right angle and still see the stuck mirrors.
post #83 of 846 Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Fantastic info in this thread. Pez, I'm glad to hear you were able to repair your Sammy. Excellent persistence staying on top of the problem and finding the solution then successfully doing the job. Again, fantastic work guys!

post #84 of 846 Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 PM

It sounds like Pez is the winner. My set was out of warrenty and before I could figure out how to fix, "we" bought a new LCD (Toshiba) to replace the DLP. It is interesting how the 42" DLP sets are no longer made. Am I correct to say that the replacement part is $200 to fix the "white dot" problem? I am undecided on what to do with my old set.
post #85 of 846 Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdakota View Post

It sounds like Pez is the winner. My set was out of warrenty and before I could figure out how to fix, "we" bought a new LCD (Toshiba) to replace the DLP. It is interesting how the 42" DLP sets are no longer made. Am I correct to say that the replacement part is $200 to fix the "white dot" problem? I am undecided on what to do with my old set.

If your set is HLS**86WX/XAA, HLS**65WX/XAA, or HLS**66WX/XAA
AND
If you have the PB02 version (which seems to be a common thread here.)

Then yes, the part is ~$200... The PB01 version seems to be $20-$30 more.
post #86 of 846 Old 02-24-2009, 05:39 PM

i gotta laugh to keep from cryin'....the parts place said they had the part when I went online and ordered it. Today I checked.....part is backordered.

btw........Joe....how you doing with your repair? We didn't mean to derail your thread.
post #87 of 846 Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naseqp View Post

i gotta laugh to keep from cryin'....the parts place said they had the part when I went online and ordered it. Today I checked.....part is backordered.

btw........Joe....how you doing with your repair? We didn't mean to derail your thread.

Partstore.com? Mine did that too...
If it helps improve your outlook, I ordered over the weekend and still got mine by Thursday. (even with the backorder)
post #88 of 846 Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Hey Pez....Got a reply finally from Partstore.....see what you started?....

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Partstore.

Your order number 104xxxxx is currently on a national backorder. Our warehouse is waiting to receive the part directly from the manufacturer. Our systems show your part is expected to ship on or about 3/16/2009. There is a possibility this estimate may change and we will do our best to keep you informed.

Our apologies for this delay. We do our best to make sure that all orders are filled promptly. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding this order, please feel free to respond to this email.

Thank you for your time,"
post #89 of 846 Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM

PezJunkie can you share your service manual thing with step by step directions and pictures with me. my email address is jzkoletar@yahoo.com, I would really appericate it.
post #90 of 846 Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Mine too is a HLS 66WX/XAA PB02....

I've gone from my first spot to 16 in less than two weeks. I find myself counting them while I'm watching TV instead of paying attention to the program. Time to fix this.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page