Samsung DMD board replacement - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 846 Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
seems like the fall of 2006 builds got the bad DMD panels.....er......service menu is around here somewhere,Ill see if i can the button combo on the remote. You do it with the TV off btw.

D3....glad you recovered from the dreaded white spot disease.
Nothing better than to get your setback.

Nothing beats a DLP for picture quality IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 846 Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naseqp View Post

seems like the fall of 2006 builds got the bad DMD panels.....er......service menu is around here somewhere,Ill see if i can the button combo on the remote. You do it with the TV off btw.

Service Menu:
with the TV *off*, press Mute, 1, 8, 2 and then power
The service menu will still stay on screen until you power off the TV again
post #153 of 846 Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naseqp View Post

seems like the fall of 2006 builds got the bad DMD panels

that's what it sounds like. Fall 2006, version PB02.

i filed with BBB like someone suggested and am waiting to hear from samsung about it. i'm not expecting much, but it's worth a shot before i go ahead and tinker with it myself.

it's been less than a month, i think, since i saw my first white spot and i now have over thirty of them scattered across the right half of my screen.
post #154 of 846 Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 AM

Fall 2006 sounds about right since I purchased mine in February 07
post #155 of 846 Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Good news on this end. Samsung has argeed to pay for the parts. We have to pay for labor....which was kinda already paid for in the estimate from the TV reapir shop. We had to get rude and ugly with them, but it worked. Repair guy is coming Friday.....I'll let you know if it actually happens, or if Samsung is going to play more games.
post #156 of 846 Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASFD35 View Post

Hahn, did you have any luck with Samsung. We faxed our info, and we were suppose to hear back from Case Management today..but all we got we nadda.

sorry i missed this before but it sounds like you got things worked out anyway.

samsung wanted me to fax them an estimate from a repair shop, but i am reluctant to do that since it will cost something like $100 just to get the guy to come out to my place to look at the tv. as far as it's been explained to me, this is a totally sunk cost that will never be reimbursed no matter what i get from samsung, if anything. personally, i am a little sick of samsung, and am unwilling to pay $100 to maaaaybe get a partial reimbursement later.

i see the point that they just can't take my word for it that this part crapped out on me, but i hesitate to play their game of "raising the barrier of entry", so to speak, trying to weed out the unmotivated. i don't really feel compelled to jump through their hoops anymore.

i filed a complaint with the BBB since it's becoming obvious that this isn't just one isolated case of defectiveness, something that anyone reading this thread can figure out quite quickly. if something positive comes from the BBB, then i'll be happy to praise samsung's responsibility. if not, i am perfectly content to never buy a samsung a/v product again and to actively prevent everyone i know from doing so as well.
post #157 of 846 Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Well, Samsung came through. The guy came today to repair the TV. back in business. I asked about the heat issue while he was here and he indicated that the DLP chip has a heat detector switch built into it.......his opinion was that TI built a bunch of bad chips.

Samsung would only have an approved service company repair the TV. We called Cust Service, they gave us the number of a local service company. A guy from the company came out and gave us an estimate. When Samsung agreed to pay for the part they schduled an appointment through the same service company. The cost of the original estimate covered the cost of the labor.
post #158 of 846 Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 PM

Pez and others,

I just want to say thank you for taking the time to post all of the info regarding the white pixels. I had a $1200 tv I was ready to scrap until I stumbled upon this posting. I am not the least bit technically savvy, but was able to fix it in under $200 and it works awesome. I also tried the Arctic Silver so we'll see if it lasts more than 2 years this time.

Thanks again!!
post #159 of 846 Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM

NASFD35, how far out of warranty are you?
post #160 of 846 Old 04-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mads21 View Post

My TV is looking like this, although it does come back to a brilliant picture when it is turned off for a while and then when we turn back on, it will last about 1 hour, and then the screen will freeze with this picture.
Any Ideas?
Attachment 135486

It's a samsung hln 4365 wxix aa The repair shop it's at right now has given us a $650.00 repair estimate and the repair they feel is the light engine. The tv is 5 years old.

Mads21,

Did you get this issue fixed? I started a thread with what looks like the same issue on my HLN617WX/XAA:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1132625

post #161 of 846 Old 04-22-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahn74 View Post

NASFD35, how far out of warranty are you?

I'm 1 yr and 4 months out of the warranty
post #162 of 846 Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well,
I ordered my part, but unfortunately it is on backorder till the 8th of may. My tv now has about 50 little dots on it too. Man I hate waiting this long, but what ya going to do. Also, I went thru ebay and got 8% off my order using live cash back. It's up to 14% now if you buy it thru ebay.
post #163 of 846 Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM

I too filed a complaint with BBB New Jersey. I also called Samsung see if there's been recall or anything, but they told me that they don't know anything about this white dot issue, and they are not going to setup a recall base what people are saying online or in different forums. I think everyone has to file a complaint with the BBB before Samsung started to take us consumers seriously.
post #164 of 846 Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Hi
I live outside the us and have TWO HL-S4266W.
14 and 15 months old .
BOTH are have developed white spots am I correct that dmd board 4719-001981 is what I am replacing would you share info on replacing instructions.
Both manf.10/2007
PB02
Just to add it the pits that this happens out side warranty 1yr and I have TWO of these if I lived in the US there is no way I would let Samsung get away with this.
post #165 of 846 Old 05-02-2009, 04:33 PM

HLS5086WX/XXA
pb02
purchased 1/26/07

LE replaced under warranty on 12/14/2007 due to the shadowing issue

now 2 weeks ago i joined your lovely white dot club, but mine went from a cluster of about 15 dots to filling the entire screen in 10 days

Called samsung and got the blow off.

seems the part needed is on nation back order but it's price is is $166 ish to my door, so i got it ordered and hopefully my screen will not go totally white before the art shows up.

Thanks to everyone who has added to this post, it took me 30 seconds to find this post and everything i needed to know was found right here.

Regards,

PB
post #166 of 846 Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 PM

this is really amazing... so many ppl having basically the same problem:

1/8 - 1/4" white dots that look like stars and rapidly multiply with a lesser number of black dots and, on a nice summer night, 1 or 2 dots that actually flicker.
I think I am gonna keep it like that, my GF and I think it's very romantic

Just kidding, I am really pised off:

Same crap here: HLS5086W PB02 purchased Dec 06 developed white dots about a month ago, now.... I have read in their entirety the 165 preceeding posts here, I took notes and at the end when I summarize everything it seems like....

If you have white dots your DLP chip (also called DMD panel) is bad

If you have a Version PB02 the part # you are to order would be 4719-001981

If you have a Version PB01 the part # you would order would be 4719-001968

Have some "Thermal Compound" handy when you do the job to replace an aparently iffy pad (Radio Shack has this compound generaly in stock).

Avoid touching the little mirrors with your fingers.

Avoid disconnecting the ribbon connector, (it gets tricky to put it back) instead fold it over

No re-alignment necessary if you don't mess with the adjustment screws and you shouldn't.

The places to get the replacement part are: Samsungparts.com, encompassparts.com, partstore.com (encompass right now is the chippest)

The replacement part is on backorder everywhere as of 5.5.09

Get your manuals and all bunch of documentation from this link posted by Pez (please read post #111 I am not allowed to post URL's) you will need mainly disassembly_reassembly_pdf.pdf

If you have more than 5000 hours on your lamp take this opportunity to replace it.

Check the hours by entering the Service Menu on your TV: Turn TV off, on the remote control press IN SEQUENCE (one by one) MUTE then 1 then 8 then 2 and finaly turn on your TV FROM THE RC. This will get you into the Service Menu and under OPTION the LAMP LIFE will display. STAY AWAY from FACTORY RESET or you will risk to erase all of your channel settings, lamp hours and ANY kind of customization you might have done to the set since you purchased it.

I cannot think of anything else right now but it would be great if people that have actually successfully replaced the part added to this synopsis by quoting it so all the info will continue staying together in one post rather than spreaded over 200 posts and whoever comes after this post will have an easier time understanding what it takes to fix the "White Spots Plague"

Post #166 contains a synopsis of what you need to do to correct this problem.
post #167 of 846 Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 AM

NASFD35, How much did you pay for labor?
post #168 of 846 Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM

Hey,

I bought my Samsung HL-T5075S around 11/23/2007, as of this week I had one white dot/pixel show up on the left part of my screen, now I have a total of 5. I'm assuming its my "DMD" board/chip/panel ...but unfortunately, I'm very TV repair savvy, and I was wondering if someone could offer some advice. I've checked Pez's parts list document, but my TV model didn't come up??
post #169 of 846 Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Hey big thanks to Pez and Joe you guys have helped me understand the problem with my Samsung, which no one had a clue about by the way including Samsung themselves (Probably in denial or the reps are just horribly misinformed.) Samsungs customer service is quite horrid and I'm dissapointed since they are my favorite TV manufacturer, I was pretty lucky since my problem didn't start until 3 years after I bought it. OH and big thumbs up to Telemostro as well for the summarized info post awesome job!
post #170 of 846 Old 05-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Well I successfully popped in the DMD Chip took me about 2 hours its relatively pretty simple though... but I don't believe I did it properly or something happened because now my whole screen is blurry, and I mean like if someone was clinically blind blurry!! Any suggestions on what might have gone wrong anyone??
post #171 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRVP View Post

Well I successfully popped in the DMD Chip took me about 2 hours its relatively pretty simple though... but I don't believe I did it properly or something happened because now my whole screen is blurry, and I mean like if someone was clinically blind blurry!! Any suggestions on what might have gone wrong anyone??

That's sucks...

Ideas of things to check:
Look at page 17 of the the "Alignment Adjustment.pdf" file. (Section 3-6-2 Align the Focus) It's got info on a focus adjustment you can make, allegedly without even removing the entire lighting engine.

Check the projection lens that is part of the black plastic shroud on top of the lighting engine. Make sure that the lens is clean and that the black plastic piece is on there straight and not crooked because of some cable pinched under it.

Last resort, take it all back apart and make sure that the front (mirror side) of the DMD is clean.
post #172 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSWii60 View Post

I have an HLS4676S that I purchased towards the end of 2006. I have a flickering pixel about a 1/4 down dead center. Is this problem going to get worse? I sure as hell don't want to pay $500+ for a repair on a 2 year old TV. This should not be happening.

Does anyone know what DMD part # I would need for my set? I think my version is PB01 if I remember correctly.

I have this set as well and I have 3 dots currently. I've written a complaint letter to Samsung. Has anyone had any luck with Samsung covering the repair cost? I'm outraged that I spen almost 2 grand on a TV 2 years ago and soon it will be unusable.
I don't have the technical knowledge to repair myself, so I would have to have a repair person do it... that would cost as much as a new LCD or plasma -sigh-
post #173 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRVP View Post

I may be that you touched the glass front of the DMD panel ( DLP micromirror assembly) when you instaled it and left some finger marks/grease.
I would imaging that if the glass plate is not perfectly clean yo'd get a blurred image or a diffuseness/fogginess to the image.
post #174 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Several folks seem to be in a bind because they are uncomforatble with doing the repair themselves.

Many of the authorized Samsung technical repair shops are doing more than needed (replacing the entire light engine optics- 800$) and also charging alot for the repair ( like 200$).

So here is an idea: If you were to repair it youself, you take the risk, but based on the success rate here, if the installation is done properly you face very good chances of success. But if you lack the dexterity or are unsure of electrical repairs, why not call a PC repair shop and ask them to install this component for you. Actual time is about a half hour, but they may spend some extra time reading the posts here to learn how to do it.

At least a PC repair guy will have the experience to do the install properly and probably at a lot lower a price !

Good Luck !
post #175 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM

As soon as I have the money to purchase the part (in any case it seems to be on a nat'l back order) I will replace it, film the whole thing, edit it and put it up on You Tube, then it will me MUCH EASIER for anyone to just look at the video and follow it step by step, and YES, as Joe says, judgeing by the success rate of the ppl on this forum it shouldn't take a very experienced tech to do the job but maybe just someone that knows hot to get around repairing things in general like appliances and stuff..... a handy dude/gal per say

post #176 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezJunkie View Post

Found a decent place to upload all my Service Manual stuff online:

You can pull down individual files or there is a link on the right side to "Download ZIP Archive" which will get you everything in a .zip file.

"Disassembly Reassembly.pdf" is probably the most important, it's the step-by-step on how to swap various parts.

"Parts code list for each DMD Panel type.xls" is the Service Bulletin about the difference between the PB01 & PB02 models.

"Alignment Adjustment.pdf" has... er... Alignment & adjustment info. Also gives a list of all the service menu options.

OK... so after reading this thread 3 times, I've decided to replace the chip myself... I've fixed toasters and alarm clocks... so on to bigger and better.
Thank you SO much for the repair manual, I'll be sure to follow it to the letter. I don't see my set on the parts list, it's a PB01 and I've noticed most of the successful repairs are on the PB02s. The model is HLS4676S, can someone veryify the part number before I place the order? I seen on an earlier post that the PB01s use part # 4719-001968... is that correct?
post #177 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago_NS View Post

OK... so after reading this thread 3 times, I've decided to replace the chip myself... I've fixed toasters and alarm clocks... so on to bigger and better.
Thank you SO much for the repair manual, I'll be sure to follow it to the letter. I don't see my set on the parts list, it's a PB01 and I've noticed most of the successful repairs are on the PB02s. The model is HLS4676S, can someone veryify the part number before I place the order? I seen on an earlier post that the PB01s use part # 4719-001968... is that correct?

YES IT IS CORRECT, in fact as pointed out by Pez, I needed to update that particular part number on my post #166, which is sort of a Synopsys of this entire thread worth reading if you decide to change the part on your own.

Virago, if you can get the part and will proceed with the replacement it would be great if you could film it and put it up on You Tube, it would be a graet help for everyone following.

post #178 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telomostro View Post

YES IT IS CORRECT, in fact as pointed out by Pez, I needed to update that particular part number on my post #166, which is sort of a Synopsys of this entire thread worth reading if you decide to change the part on your own.

Virago, if you can get the part and will proceed with the replacement it would be great if you could film it and put it up on You Tube, it would be a graet help for everyone following.

When I go to the web site (encompassparts) and type in my model number, it gives me 4719-001981??? Is their data base wrong?
I'll try and video it, mind you I'm VERY amature, so there will be a lot of cursing
post #179 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago_NS View Post

When I go to the web site (encompassparts) and type in my model number, it gives me 4719-001981??? Is their data base wrong?
I'll try and video it, mind you I'm VERY amature, so there will be a lot of cursing

HOWEVER, your set is *not* listed on the service bulletin about the models with the 2 different light engines. Based on that document, I can only feel confident stating that these models use the same lighting engine:
HLS**86WX/XAA
HLS**65WX/XAA
HLS**66WX/XAA

Like I told PSWii60 in response to the post that you quoted, I can't guarantee that your set is the same inside... but I have a hunch that it's probably similar. (I hope.)

Encompass is a great site if you know what part number you're looking for, but it's not exactly user friendly. However, I looked at samsungparts.com & partstore.com and both sites also only list one part (4719-001981) for your model.
post #180 of 846 Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Thanks for everyones help. I had the famous midnite star pattern. Had to do it twice. tried to short cut some steps by not removing all the cables and ended up with 38 vertical lines. I went back and repeated all steps including removing all cables. I used a thermal paste on the heatsink and reversed the fan to pull the heat out and blow it away. The thermal pad they used was no better than a thick piece of paper. When I powered up all the vertical lines where gone and it had a sharp picture. I also used a can of compresed air to blow out any loose dust from the fans and from the rear of the tv that I could see. good luck to all. HL-S5086w 50"
Reply Rear Projection Units