Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 846 Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PezJunkie View Post

HOWEVER, your set is *not* listed on the service bulletin about the models with the 2 different light engines. Based on that document, I can only feel confident stating that these models use the same lighting engine:
HLS**86WX/XAA
HLS**65WX/XAA
HLS**66WX/XAA

Like I told PSWii60 in response to the post that you quoted, I can't guarantee that your set is the same inside... but I have a hunch that it's probably similar. (I hope.)

Encompass is a great site if you know what part number you're looking for, but it's not exactly user friendly. However, I looked at samsungparts.com & partstore.com and both sites also only list one part (4719-001981) for your model.

Thanks Pez, I'll go with what the sites say to order for my model, I'll let you all know the results when the chip comes in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 846 Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 AM

When I double checked the chip install part (4719-001981) I checked for bent pins on the chip and found a piece of strange material. I removed it with a tweezer and reinstalled it. This may be what caused the vertical lines. Good idea is to check the pins befor pressing into the board.
post #183 of 846 Old 05-12-2009, 11:28 AM

Hi everyone,

This is the reply I received from Samsumg when I complained about our problem to "customer service":

In reference to your email; thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience with Samsung. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. However, we regret to inform you that we are unable to accommodate your request for warranty coverage at this time due to the expiry of your limited warranty. We have confirmed with our Quality Control department that the model you own does not exhibit any widespread issues that may cause concerns. Furthermore, your specific unit does not have any service history that we may review for further consideration of your request. Therefore, we regret that if you wish to have your unit repaired you will be required to cover all necessary service costs. If you have any further inquiries regarding warranty terms and/or conditions please contact our customer care line at 1 800 SAMSUNG.
Thank you for your time and we appreciate your cooperation.

I am compiling a list of forums, starting with this one that show their customers have a problem with the DLPs that seem to be from the 2006 models usind this chip. Any assistance would be appreciated, just past the link to any forums you have come across. I'm also going to send a letter to the Canadian BBB with this information on it.
post #184 of 846 Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM

I've made a facebook page for people to sign up for. This will hopefully get a message to Samsung that they should put out a recall or pay for the faulty chips. Worth a shot.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...1763079&ref=mf

I also posted a link here for the solution. I used someone's photo showing the dots, I hope that is OK.
post #185 of 846 Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago_NS View Post

Hi everyone,

This is the reply I received from Samsumg when I complained about our problem to "customer service":

In reference to your email; thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience with Samsung. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. However, we regret to inform you that we are unable to accommodate your request for warranty coverage at this time due to the expiry of your limited warranty. We have confirmed with our Quality Control department that the model you own does not exhibit any widespread issues that may cause concerns. Furthermore, your specific unit does not have any service history that we may review for further consideration of your request. Therefore, we regret that if you wish to have your unit repaired you will be required to cover all necessary service costs. If you have any further inquiries regarding warranty terms and/or conditions please contact our customer care line at 1 800 SAMSUNG.
Thank you for your time and we appreciate your cooperation.

I am compiling a list of forums, starting with this one that show their customers have a problem with the DLPs that seem to be from the 2006 models usind this chip. Any assistance would be appreciated, just past the link to any forums you have come across. I'm also going to send a letter to the Canadian BBB with this information on it.

Virago I have seen you already on the Best Buy forum, thanx and keep up the complain !
As I have already said, make a complain also with the BBB in Trenton NJ since already several people have complained with that bureau (I guess it's because Samsung is in NJ)

Post #166 contains a synopsis of what you need to do to correct this problem.
post #186 of 846 Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telomostro View Post

Virago I have seen you already on the Best Buy forum, thanx and keep up the complain !
As I have already said, make a complain also with the BBB in Trenton NJ since already several people have complained with that bureau (I guess it's because Samsung is in NJ)

I filed a complaint yesterday
post #187 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 12:23 AM

Now that we have finally figured out the bad part it may too late for some of us. Samsungparts.com is on a 4 week back order and they use the word "may" have in 4 weeks. Steven in Orange County, CA with the white dot syndrom.
post #188 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, my part had been back ordered for 2 weeks, but I finally got it in this week and popped it in last nite. It took me about an hour, because I only removed the board that contained the dmd chip. I also uses AS on the chip, but that heatsink is rather small, so I'm not sure how much it will help. Anyway, powered her on and now she looks good as new. Thanks everyone.

The fan that is used to cool the chip is a Dongyang G6015M12B2 the website is www.oec.co.kr and the product link is http://www.oec.co.kr/e03/e03_1.php?idx=10&mode=view

Encompass has it http://www.encompassparts.com/products/?SMGBP31-00023A for 17.99. It uses a proprietary connector, but from the looks of it, is a standard red, black, and yellow wired fan. It pushes 16cfm of air.

So, what you guys think, there is plenty of room in the case. We could use a fan adapter like the one at http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...roducts_id=677 to increase the fan size to a 80mm and tap directly into the wires. The4y also make one for a 92mm fan here http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=4348. Though, that actually may be too big. I think it only detects if the fan is moving, so we would need to try and get a fan with a high enough rpm so the TV doesn't think it's failing.

Finally, how many of you had the tv in a armoire or something that enclosed the back of the tv? That is how mine was.
post #189 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin190 View Post

Finally, how many of you had the tv in a armoire or something that enclosed the back of the tv? That is how mine was.

Somewhere back in the early pages of this thread, I think most people were stating that their sets were in well ventilated areas.
post #190 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 01:21 PM

mine is well ventilated in a 76° enviroment 24/hrs

post #191 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM

5/14/09 I had a conversation with Josh a reppresentative from Samsung New Jersey and the synopsys of this 9 min conversation was:
"Yes I am aware of this problem, no we will not send the part or pay for repair"
I taped the whole conversation I just don't think I can upload it here but if anyone knows of a site where I can upload an MP3 about 9 MB big, I'll be glad to put it up so everyone can here the details.

Maybe the BBB should here this since they said that Samsung stated that they had NEVER heard of this problem

post #192 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PezJunkie View Post

This service bulletin about the 2 different models also leads me to think the problem is the actual DLP chip and not the DMD board and/or its image processor.

It has a page for "How to distinguish DMD defect" with pictures of 4 examples. They are all horizontal or vertical lines that run the full length/width of the screen. None of them show the problem that we are having.

With both parts being $200 - $250, I can see now why Samsung says to just spend the $500 - $600 (after core refund) to replace the entire engine assembly and be done with it. (But damn it, I'm trying to be cheap here!)

Keep in mind the engine assembly comes with a new lamp also.
post #193 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Keep in mind the engine assembly comes with a new lamp also.

Hey great input but would you mind elaborating on that a lil more...?
Does this mean that engine assy and lamps need to be matched and therefore replaced in pairs....? or you are just trying to justify the reason for the cost....?

post #194 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:

5/14/09 I had a conversation with Josh a reppresentative from Samsung New Jersey and the synopsys of this 9 min conversation was:
"Yes I am aware of this problem, no we will not send the part or pay for repair"
I taped the whole conversation I just don't think I can upload it here but if anyone knows of a site where I can upload an MP3 about 9 MB big, I'll be glad to put it up so everyone can here the details.

Maybe the BBB should here this since they said that Samsung stated that they had NEVER heard of this problem

You can use live.com and then look for something called a skydrive. I believe you can put up to a 10mb file on it.

Also, I think they change out the whole assembly to make it easier on the tech's. It seems now a days that most tv's get worked on at peeps houses where there isn't a bench to properly lay out the parts. Could you imagine someone tearing apart your tv on your living room floor? It probably also cuts down on cost due to labor. Thge average person in here takes about 2 hours to replace the chip, but I can tell you, 30 minutes top to replace the whole assembly.
post #195 of 846 Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 PM

I have the same problem you describe. Model HLS4266WX/XAA version BP02. I'm in for a class action claim. Some of these mfr cheap there way out to beat the market price of competitors, take 2nd rate contract mfrs in Asia to produce low cost units and so, we get GARBAGE products. I only paid about $600 for the set new in July 2007 and have the white dot problem starting May 2009. I guess you get what you pay for. It had a good picture for the $$ and I would have recommend it but NOT ANYMORE.

I'm throwing the thing out and voting with my dollars for another brand. I too have had two Toshiba sets. The 52" has last more than 15 years with 1 service call to adjust the colors and it's been moved to new homes 3 times. A 19" Toshiba tube unit lasted 19 years and finally got taken out in a lightning strike.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion. It's most enlightening.
post #196 of 846 Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Mine is just sitting on a stand with nothing around it. I live in Canada, so heat is not really an issue here, we keep the house at 18 deg c which is 64 deg F.
I didn't get a back order notification when I ordered my part, hopefully it's cleared up.
post #197 of 846 Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 AM

THis is where I filed the complaint online:
https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

They wrote me the following:

Complaint ID#: 80078538
Business Name: Samsung Electronics America Inc.

Thank you for contacting BBB regarding your complaint.

We regret to inform you that BBB cannot process your complaint. The case has been reviewed and was found to contain issues that are out of BBB's Purview. Your complaint would be best handled by the state agency listed below:

STATE OFFICE OF CONSUMER PROTECTION
124 Halsey Street
Newark, NJ 07102
Phone: 973-504-6200
Phone: 800-242-5846 (NJ residents only)

Although we are unable to assist at this time, please remember that your BBB provides many valuable services to you both prior to making a purchase and after. If we can be of service to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Janice Croux
Service Representative
BBB Complaint Department

WTF?!?! It is because I'm Canadian? I guess I'll write another complaint... this time I'm saving the damn letter so I don't have to re-type it all.
post #198 of 846 Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 AM

I have pulled up a video on youtube referencing this thread on this forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDvQ4T6hM6k

and also the taped conversation I had with Josh a Samsung representative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QIJQLM8a9M

post #199 of 846 Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 PM

I bought my 50 in DLP in January 2007 and now saw my first white dot on my screen yesterday, 5/14. I am expecting to see more in the next few weeks/months and will be prepared to try to fix it myself.

Thanks all for the great tips.

I have also filed a complaint with the BBB and I would also join a Class Action suit against Samsung.
post #200 of 846 Old 05-16-2009, 03:39 PM

guess Im joining this horrible litte club. Read through the entire thread. Nice work telomostro! I'll be looking forward to the video of the repair. Still undecided as to weather to order the part or use that 200 towards a TV that will last longer than 2 years.... Guess I have time to think since the part is hard to get.
post #201 of 846 Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 PM

Oh and I only have 14 Dots right now and its sorta bearable. Does anyone know if I leave the TV on will the dots increase or is it only when you power cycle the unit that more dots arrive?
post #202 of 846 Old 05-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Just like a plague... the sores multiply no matter if you are sleeping or awake, the Samsung piece of crap is no exception, I have seen dots be born before my very eyes as I was watching TV and the reason why it was very easy to see it is because I always set my TV to the a 4:3 aspect ratio unless the program is truly 16:9 (I hate seeing Daryl Hannah short and stucky) that obviously leaves two black bands on each side of the movie and that is a perfect way to witness the birth of a monster

post #203 of 846 Old 05-17-2009, 05:05 PM

Yeah I was holding with the 14 dots. Then I switched inputs and got about 10 more. Looks like I'm screwed no matter what. I have decided to order the part even though I'm gonna get a new TV. I think its worth 200 bucks to use this one in my kids room. Hope it doesn't really take months to get that part.... I always thought my DLP looked better than any plasma or LCD I had seen, but after this I don't know. Next TV definitely wont be a Samsung thats fa show!
post #204 of 846 Old 05-18-2009, 02:50 PM

For a repair under 200 bucks, I dont see why so many people are jumping on the "go after samsung" bandwagon.

Yes, their support sucks, but this forum has posted a solution on how to replace the defective part yourself in under an hour (provided you have the "white dot" issue)

I will be ordering my part tonight. Pez and Joe, much props, I was going to go through all this myself before I stumbled upon this forum!
post #205 of 846 Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:

....Finally, how many of you had the tv in a armoire or something that enclosed the back of the tv? That is how mine was.

Mine was on open stand,air conditioned room and on an APC power conditioner.

You dudes putting energy into dogging Samsung....there gets to be a point where you spend more time than its worth. After spending about the 4 time talking to the "support reps"....it dawned on me that those weiners making about 10 bucks an hour keep Samsung from paying out to fix the TVs.

My TIME is worth more than that. Just be glad that JOe and Pez went ahead of us and will save you lots of time and grief. Fix it and get on with life.

Oh and I hope the Dude that was gona throw his out....throw it my way. I'll take it. I remember when 27" tvs were 1200....and didnt give near the pleasure and enjoyment that we get today.

Not defending Samsung....I called them every name in the book....but I have better things to do that call and call and call the Dilberts working there.

I keep my old chip by my chair.....life is good.

As Sonny and Cher sang...."And the beat goes on...."
post #206 of 846 Old 05-18-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naseqp View Post

I keep my old chip by my chair.....life is good.

How about a belt buckle...

I thought about doing that with mine

After reading everyone's post of how they had there sets, I think it's less likely heat and more likely just a defect. Hopefully just a bad batch of chips and our replacements will live forever
post #207 of 846 Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 AM

Joining the group. Have four small white dots at the moment, expecting more soon. I've only had this TV (HLT5075SX/XAA) since 11/24/07 and I have already replaced the lamp, and now this... Thinking I'm going to buy the Panel and do it myself. Thanks for all the info! Wouldn't even think about doing this myself without everything on here.
post #208 of 846 Old 05-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Hey everyone, i am new to the forum today and I can say you guys Joe and Perez are lifesavers with all the info you have put on here.

Just to brief you all, I have a 50 inch 5086W Sammy PB02 Version and I spoke on the phone today with JOSH (the same guy from the youtube video link above) and he told me if i pay for a diagnostic from a local certified sammy repair center, that once he received a copy of the diagnostic, Samsung would pay for the parts and I would be responsible for the labor...as long as the part was not more than the value of the TV.
By the way, my warranty ran out over 15 months ago.

After looking at this site, I would rather spend 153 bucks at encompassparts.com (the current price) for the DMD board and try the repair myself than risk spending 100 bucks for them to maybe fix my tv.

I can guarandamntee you that I will not buy another Sammy DLP tv (that's right they are discontinuing most of them) or another Sammy TV when this one goes bad again.

Hopefully with the new part it may last a little longer.

Comments welcome!!!!
post #209 of 846 Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey great input but would you mind elaborating on that a lil more...?
Does this mean that engine assy and lamps need to be matched and therefore replaced in pairs....? or you are just trying to justify the reason for the cost....?

Helps justify the cost.
I got a light engine the other day that DIDN'T include the lamp so your mileage may vary.
post #210 of 846 Old 05-23-2009, 03:14 AM

having the same problem with everyone here
started about 2 weeks ago, about 4 white dots, and 2 black dots.... and now its growing into 10-15 dots approximatly.
so i'm guessing the problem is also that faulty DMD chip.

My dlp set model codes are : SP67L6HX2X / XSE
How can i found information about the right parts for my model?
Anyone can help me with any suggestions is appreciated.
The problem is i'm living outside USA.

THX guys.......
Reply Rear Projection Units