1Likes

post #541 of 2692 Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRat View Post

tron, just curious what your viewing distance will be? If I get it, I'll be at my comfort limit at ~105". Some nicely lit pics of the rear of the unit would be helpful also as I'm looking to add some bias lighting.

I'd also be replacing a 15 yo Mits 60" CRT (4:3, pre component) beast.

I'll be viewing at approximately 9ft. (34 degree viewing angle) Once in its permanent position I'll then experiment with distances. Maybe I can convince the wife to move the couch closer.... we'll see. I'm just excited to be able to get the darn thing!!!

I'll be replacing an "1988" 32" CRT beastie!

Wow a 60" CRT... they didn't make very many of those did they? or are you talking about a 60" RPTV with three small CRT's doing the color duties?

Sure, I'll take some pictures of the backside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Are there going to be ANY official reviews of this set? This is the weirdest release I've ever seen. Absolutely no fanfare, no ads to speak of (if any at all), and almost zero press, not counting the "it's being released" announcements, which are meaningless. It's as if the industry as a whole has decided to totally ignore these sets.

The most confusing aspect of this is that Mitsubishi themselves seem to have the same attitude. They had almost zero presence at CES the last couple years (at least from their consumer video section), and they've done practically nothing to promote their own sets recently. Compare this to 10 years ago when they were among the highest profile leaders in this field.

Really, really strange.

Larry
post #543 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittle View Post

Are there going to be ANY official reviews of this set? This is the weirdest release I've ever seen. Absolutely no fanfare, no ads to speak of (if any at all), and almost zero press, not counting the "it's being released" announcements, which are meaningless. It's as if the industry as a whole has decided to totally ignore these sets.

The most confusing aspect of this is that Mitsubishi themselves seem to have the same attitude. They had almost zero presence at CES the last couple years (at least from their consumer video section), and they've done practically nothing to promote their own sets recently. Compare this to 10 years ago when they were among the highest profile leaders in this field.

Really, really strange.

They most likely aren't expecting to sell millions of these and probably can't manufacture them inexpensively enough yet to dramatically lower the price (which would presumably increase sales volume at least a bit). Even if they could drop the price, just how big is the market for 65" and larger TV's anyway? Given that, their target customer is most likely aware of these sets so what's the point in spending a ton of money on a huge marketing campaign that really isn't going to increase sales? As far as official reviews go, we'll have to wait and see.
post #544 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron49 View Post

Wow a 60" CRT... they didn't make very many of those did they? or are you talking about a 60" RPTV with three small CRT's doing the color duties?

Yes, RPTV, 60" x 50" x 24" box. They also made larger 70"ers.

Edit 4 hrs later: Did I just screw up, I just put $1000 deposit down on one!
post #545 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Yes, RPTV, 60" x 50" x 24" box. They also made larger 70"ers.

Edit 4 hrs later: Did I just screw up, I just put $1000 deposit down on one!

AVRat - Do you know if Ultimate is discounting these sets to follow Mits lead? They have that great 3yrs/36 month no interest promo going on until July 10.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
post #546 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM

All of you who own a Laservue please help. I have been waiting to upgrade my living room TV for some time now. It is the last piece in my home theater to get upgraded as I have recently made a serious upgrade in my 7.1 sound system with Paradigm Signature S8's, C5, ADP3's, and Sub 2 (still waiting for this piece) and Anthem Statement D2V, A2, P5. So the sound system is about as good as I am going to get for the money and now need to take care of the TV.

I currently have a 70 Inch JVC which surprisingly is a great TV for only running at 720P. I have a 55" LED Samsung in the bedroom that is awesome. I am just not willing to go below 70 inches in the living room. My question is this...I see the new laservue is now at 75 inches...do I dive in now and upgrade or do I wait for a plasma or LED that is 70" plus in size. I am just not sure these DLP/laser TV's are truly providing the picture quality that you get with the LED TV that I love. Hoping many of you have wrestled with the same problem and can tell me what to do. I am perfectly happy waiting for a large LED (I prefer the LED brightness and picture versus a Plasma) if the laservue is not the true high end upgrade I am looking for. What would you all suggest? Thank you.
post #547 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 02:25 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiu View Post

All of you who own a Laservue please help. I have been waiting to upgrade my living room TV for some time now. It is the last piece in my home theater to get upgraded as I have recently made a serious upgrade in my 7.1 sound system with Paradigm Signature S8's, C5, ADP3's, and Sub 2 (still waiting for this piece) and Anthem Statement D2V, A2, P5. So the sound system is about as good as I am going to get for the money and now need to take care of the TV.

I currently have a 70 Inch JVC which surprisingly is a great TV for only running at 720P. I have a 55" LED Samsung in the bedroom that is awesome. I am just not willing to go below 70 inches in the living room. My question is this...I see the new laservue is now at 75 inches...do I dive in now and upgrade or do I wait for a plasma or LED that is 70" plus in size. I am just not sure these DLP/laser TV's are truly providing the picture quality that you get with the LED TV that I love. Hoping many of you have wrestled with the same problem and can tell me what to do. I am perfectly happy waiting for a large LED (I prefer the LED brightness and picture versus a Plasma) if the laservue is not the true high end upgrade I am looking for. What would you all suggest? Thank you.

I'd suggest that you find a retailer where you can go evaluate the LaserVue (factoring in that it likely won't be calibrated to be its best) to see for yourself - yours (and your wife if you're married) is the only opinion that really matters. And unless $$$ is no object, I suspect it's going to be a while before plasma and LCD compete price wise at 70+" sizes.
post #548 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:

I am just not sure these DLP/laser TV's are truly providing the picture quality that you get with the LED TV that I love.

I don't have a laser TV. But my impression is that DLP definitely can match the picture quality of an LED. The first gen Laser has great picture quality. I imagine the second gen should be better, though haven't seen any review on the new laser yet. But don't buy into the "more color" "deep color" crap.

It will be a while before the 70+ LED TVs drop to comparable price. The best bet on LED TV is the 72" Vizio which is supposedly to come out in August for $3500. But Vizio's release schedule is usually too aggressive.
post #549 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:

I have had the 65' LV for six months and am very satisfied. One of the things to consider in the trade-off is whether screen reflectivity is an issue for you. For me it is huge because the TV is in a bright room and even at night there are lots of things to reflect in a screen. The LV has no reflection and great off-center viewing performance vs. LCD & even plasma. The LV's BRIGHT setting overcomes all the light during the day, and NORMAL tones everything down for night viewing. The BRILLIANT setting, I think, is reserved for store display models, but to my eye greatly over-amps the colors and accounts for some of the negative opinions folks have who only have seen display models. If you see this set with a Blu-Ray feed in either Bright or Normal out-of-the-box settings, I don't see how you will be disappointed.

Added factors: The claim that there will be no light degradation over time with the laser vs. other light sources remains to be proven, but sounds technically right to me. The fact that it uses much less power than LCD or plasma is a nice bonus. Lastly, your friends will be totally befuddled that you bought a TV no one has heard of and which uses a technology no one knows exists. That has to be worth something, doesn't it?
post #550 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nescosmo View Post

Ru: In the event of a group buy why don't you gives us some choices on the stands for the laservue. You are talking for a quality stand, over 1k. Give us an opportunity of a group buy on the stands also.

Point taken.
post #551 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post

AVRat - Do you know if Ultimate is discounting these sets to follow Mits lead? They have that great 3yrs/36 month no interest promo going on until July 10.

No idear! If they have it available I don't see why not, you should at least mention the promo and price tron posted. A guy at my local shop wasn't well versed on this unit until I clued him in. He found the Mits promo and saw the LV on it but stated it was $5499, a day later he calls back and says the shop owner had hunted one down and I coulld have it for the $4999 price or it would be their display model. They said Mits isn't releasing in large quantities because he didn't know when they could get another for display.
post #552 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 PM

post #553 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 PM

Two questions....

1. Is the power cord on the L75-A91 an integral part (i.e. connected to the cabinet) of the TV???? or does it have a receptacle (i.e. male plug) for a separate power cable to be plugged into???? I've looked through the Owners Manual and couldn't find anything.... I keep forgetting to look at the one at TOTON's.

2. Do you know what the difference is between L75-A91 and the L75-A81?

On the cover page of the Owners Manual... see attached
Attachment 178221

Looking through the manual I get the impression that the A81 model has less features than the A91.... so bottom line... is the A81 a less featured model, which would mean less costly???? or is it only available outside the US.

Document2coversheet.doc 237k . file
Attached Files
File Type: doc Document2coversheet.doc (237.0 KB, 0 views)
post #554 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Pixiu, how big you need? http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/06/09...-plasma-3d-tv/

Yes I saw these. Two problems. Not a big plasma person. I kind of prefer the "bright pop" of LED but could live with Plasma. I also wonder if these TV's will truly have the latest technology and picture quality or just simply be a big display. Next problem will probably be the price. There is a limit at some point but I am willing to pay a premium to get the size I want but it is just a question of how much of a premium.
post #555 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pixiu, how big you need? http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/06/09...-plasma-3d-tv/

Thanks for the link -- I hadn't yet seen these.

The only potential issue with these is that the large Panasonic plasmas have generally been stratospherically priced. The only price estimate I could find on the new 85" TH-85VX200 was JPY 5M. I'm not entirely sure how to convert this, but if "5M" means 5 million, it would be about $55,000 US, which would simply not be anywhere near the realm of a "consumer" TV set even if the price was dramatically lower for the US market.

It's too bad since the industry could REALLY use some competition in the 73" and up range, which as far as I know is ONLY offered by Mitsubishi these days (not including, of course, the multi tens of thousands of dollar Panasonic sets.)

Larry
post #556 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Any chance the wall mount they have for the 65 inch is going to work for the 75 inch or they will come out with one for the 75 inch? Now that would be cool.

I am really thinking this may be my next TV. I need to go see one even if it just a 65 inch. I love my Samsung 55 LED and I am told today that a 68 inch LED Sharp is coming in a month or so. I really want to go 70 inches plus but may consider the Sharp if the picture quality is not there with the laservue 75. I see several Sony Qualia owners posting on here which I find funny because I have the equivalent technology 70 inch JVC which I think has great picture quality for it time. I just hope this laser provides as good as picture quality as the latest plasma / LED's and then with a 75 inch size that really cannot be beat.
post #557 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Originally posted by Pixiu:
Any chance the wall mount they have for the 65 inch is going to work for the 75 inch or they will come out with one for the 75 inch? Now that would be cool.

I have not heard if it will, but I have seen it and there is no way I would try. It's 15" deep.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #558 of 2692 Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Two questions....

1. Is the power cord on the L75-A91 an integral part (i.e. connected to the cabinet) of the TV???? or does it have a receptacle (i.e. male plug) for a separate power cable to be plugged into???? I've looked through the Owners Manual and couldn't find anything.... I keep forgetting to look at the one at TOTON's.

2. Do you know what the difference is between L75-A91 and the L75-A81?

On the cover page of the Owners Manual... see attached
Attachment 178221

Looking through the manual I get the impression that the A81 model has less features than the A91.... so bottom line... is the A81 a less featured model, which would mean less costly???? or is it only available outside the US.

ac cord is connected to the TV and not consumer removeable.
post #559 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Looking through the manual I get the impression that the A81 model has less features than the A91.... so bottom line... is the A81 a less featured model, which would mean less costly????

Yes, this was the original premise when we first started hearing about these models last fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Geekman View Post

Mitsubishi says no wall mount for the L75-A91. Either it's too big or there wasn't enough interest in the wall mount for the 65" model -- I don't know which is the reason.

post #560 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:

I am really thinking this may be my next TV. I need to go see one even if it just a 65 inch. I love my Samsung 55 LED and I am told today that a 68 inch LED Sharp is coming in a month or so. I really want to go 70 inches plus but may consider the Sharp if the picture quality is not there with the laservue 75. I see several Sony Qualia owners posting on here which I find funny because I have the equivalent technology 70 inch JVC which I think has great picture quality for it time. I just hope this laser provides as good as picture quality as the latest plasma / LED's and then with a 75 inch size that really cannot be beat.

Bad news rumor has it that the 68 inch Sharp has been (depending on which rumor you like) delayed until the end of the year or completely withdrawn. Take your pick...

On the bright side Vizio and LG are scheduled to have 72 inchers late in the year... Mitsubishi's new DLP models just came out and are currently arriving in stores and are available in 65, 73 and 82 inch sizes...
post #561 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

We Qualia owners were very happy with our picture quality. But, like all of Sony's SXRD sets, the Optical Blocks are failing, as are the warranty replacements and Sony is just walking away. We are looking for the replacement to these superb (when working) sets and the Laser Vue is a top candidate because of size and picture quality. We Qualia owners recognize that the best value in large size is Rear Projection. We have been in the business of annual lamp replacement and dimm lamp brightness for the last half of the year, so we are intrigued by the unlimited life, and no loss of brightness promised by the Laser. Since we already have RPTV's, we are not seduced by the flat screens, as we all put our sets on top of equipment racks that are 20", or so deep, and usually have large speakers to each side, as well. I, for one, am unimpressed by Sony's latest and greatest LCD, the XBR60LX900, which is about to be released without local LED backlight dimming. This means that the dynamic contrast ratio (the ability to see detail in dark scenes) will be inferior to all other top of the line sets, including the Laser Vue. And it costs $4999 for a 60" set--the same price at which we will be able to buy the 73" laser Vue.

So, many of we Qualia owners are looking very seriously at the 2 nd generation Laser Vue. Sony's extended warranty on our Qualias ends at the end of August, when we must either accept their payment of $700 for the sets for which most of us paid more than $13,000, or opt out of a class action suit and go the small claims court route. Many of us will be in the large TV market in the next year, and I can assure you that we will be giving anything from Sony a pass.
post #562 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

We Qualia owners were very happy with our picture quality. But, like all of Sony's SXRD sets, the Optical Blocks are failing, as are the warranty replacements and Sony is just walking away. We are looking for the replacement to these superb (when working) sets and the Laser Vue is a top candidate because of size and picture quality. We Qualia owners recognize that the best value in large size is Rear Projection. We have been in the business of annual lamp replacement and dimm lamp brightness for the last half of the year, so we are intrigued by the unlimited life, and no loss of brightness promised by the Laser. Since we already have RPTV's, we are not seduced by the flat screens, as we all put our sets on top of equipment racks that are 20", or so deep, and usually have large speakers to each side, as well. I, for one, am unimpressed by Sony's latest and greatest LCD, the XBR60LX900, which is about to be released without local LED backlight dimming. This means that the dynamic contrast ratio (the ability to see detail in dark scenes) will be inferior to all other top of the line sets, including the Laser Vue. And it costs $4999 for a 60" set--the same price at which we will be able to buy the 73" laser Vue.

So, many of we Qualia owners are looking very seriously at the 2 nd generation Laser Vue. Sony's extended warranty on our Qualias ends at the end of August, when we must either accept their payment of $700 for the sets for which most of us paid more than $13,000, or opt out of a class action suit and go the small claims court route. Many of us will be in the large TV market in the next year, and I can assure you that we will be giving anything from Sony a pass.

Have you actually seen the 60 lx9000 or the 75 inch laservue? If so any comments?

Also, very sorry to hear about the warranty of SOny. Was thinking of getting theirs. How is it that you only get $700.00 on the warranty? Ouch...
post #563 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

Sony use to be great but I never like them because they were too OEM. Board , chips and capy were a pain to get, now you can see that no body can touch their parts to repair them.
post #564 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 08:57 PM

I'll post pictures sometime later tonight or tomorrow.

The wife loves it.... and its big.... YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! The picture quality is awesome. You will not be disappointed.

Again, like I said in previous posts, my wife's camera is a Nicon Coolpix P2 and the quality of the output leaves alot to be desired. You have to see it in person. Anyway tomorrow is another day!!!!

Attachment 178352
Attachment 178353
Attachment 178354
Attachment 178355
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #565 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM

post #566 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM

post #567 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

i like the incredibles
post #568 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Attachment 178375

Attachment 178374

Attachment 178373

Attachment 178372

Attachment 178376

Again, the wife's camera is slow so fast speed motion will be blurred.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #569 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 PM

post #570 of 2692 Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM