Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

That you know about until you need it.

Why are you ALWAYS so negative and contradictory about everything and anything? Like the others who have posted, I have a pretty good number of CD's that I've purchased since the inception of the format and have yet to have a bad one. And yes, I've been through them all relatively recently when I ripped my entire collection to MP3. It's funny that when you didn't get the answer you were looking for to the question that you asked you try to discredit our answers. I'm not going to claim that CD's don't go bad - it's fairly well documented that it does happen, but it's most definitely not as rampant as you're trying to suggest. Looking forward to your negative response to this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2707 Old 01-24-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Why are you ALWAYS so negative and contradictory about everything and anything? Like the others who have posted, I have a pretty good number of CD's that I've purchased since the inception of the format and have yet to have a bad one. And yes, I've been through them all relatively recently when I ripped my entire collection to MP3. It's funny that when you didn't get the answer you were looking for to the question that you asked you try to discredit our answers. I'm not going to claim that CD's don't go bad - it's fairly well documented that it does happen, but it's most definitely not as rampant as you're trying to suggest. Looking forward to your negative response to this...

Guess you should have re-read the original post before replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

It's 60,000 hours to half brightness - I don't think you need to worry!

The original post was that it is nearly impossible to predict failure rate in hours with new technology. The CD was simply an example. There are countless others, ESPECIALLY in HDTV, not the least of which are the Mitsubishi Light Engines for their DLPs. The real answer is Mitsubishi can throw out numbers like that all they want, that does not make them correct, again, as witnessed by the Mitsubishi Light Engine Failures.

BTW, could you please show me what I have posted about specs on this TV that have not been eventually borne out, from price, problems with Green and REC 709 with the current firmware etc.

After seeing a good number of Mitsubishi Light Engine failures, I know that just because Mitsubishi says it, doesn't make it true (and that is also true of other companies as well, but none of these are "reference standard sets").
post #63 of 2707 Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

This is the LaserVue Owners' Thread - let's get back on topic. If you'd like, you can start your own thread about new tech failure rates.

Go Duke !
post #64 of 2707 Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

The final color performance was good with an exceptionally flat gray scale and 2.2 gamma curve. The on/off contrast was about 2000:1 with a maximum light output in Natural mode of about 45 fL. The color gamut on these displays is nonlinear and requires complex calibration techniques to avoid strong over or under saturation of colors. I am sure many people would be pleased with this product.

I have attached the gamut numerical values below before calibration.

Hmmm....much lower than I anticipated/hoped.(contrast)
Are they already working on a second gen unit?
post #65 of 2707 Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I agree with trackman!! I started this thread because I would like owners to share info about LaserVue. All the theorists please go somewhere else like calibration thread. All the others who think this set is not worth it go to Overpriced LaserVue thread. Let stay on topic please.
post #66 of 2707 Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckscountyguy View Post

I agree with trackman!! I started this thread because I would like owners to share info about LaserVue. All the theorists please go somewhere else like calibration thread. All the others who think this set is not worth it go to Overpriced LaserVue thread. Let stay on topic please.

No problem....now if the owners will start posting legitimate information....oh, that's right.....it has been decided by owners not to post the data for the REC 709 mode.

Perhaps if info was being posted, it would be hard to dispute, huh?
post #67 of 2707 Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

No problem....now if the owners will start posting legitimate information....oh, that's right.....it has been decided by owners not to post the data for the REC 709 mode.

Perhaps if info was being posted, it would be hard to dispute, huh?

You could always go buy one and get the numbers for yourself... Given that this is an owners thread, it's not like you as a non-owner are entitled to the information anyway. If the info isn't being provided how can you possibly dispute it anyway?? And why do you feel compelled to do so???

Personally, I think it's fine if the people who bought these sets are happy with them. In my case, I feel these sets are too pricey for what they seem to offer relative to the competition and I'm very leery of buying a first generation of this sort of product regardless of what the warranty is. There's also the issue of not having local access to see one. But I'm definitely interested in seeing how these sets make out both in the short term and the longer term as they may represent an excellent alternative to large flat panels if 2nd (and further) generations come out with the presumed price drops that 2nd generation products typically have.
post #68 of 2707 Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
SO where are all you guys pics of your setups? Come on I've been wanting to see these units in house. Put them up.
post #69 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

That is one of the many downsides to RPTV tech in generally. You almost always can see the backlight.
post #70 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post

That is one of the many downsides to RPTV tech in generally. You almost always can see the backlight.

Backlight? This thing has lasers not a bulb. LCD displays have backlights which can exhibit "flashlights/clouding".

I'm wondering if its perhaps the same effect seen on other RPTVs which is room ambient light being gathered inside the set and reflected through the projection lens and mirrors.
post #71 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I would consider this to be a defect and would contact Mitsubishi immediately.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #72 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevEB View Post

I just brought home this beauty on Sunday. It is replacing a Panasonic PT-65wx50. That is a 65" rear projection from 2000.

Congrats on your purchase.

Quote:
There is a white glow that appears while the screen has no video to it or during a dark passage in a televised or dvd film.

I have turned contrast and brightness way way down but it persists.

The glow appears in the bottom center of the screen and fans outward in a V shape. Picture 2 was taken with a foreground light, so ignore the upper right corner reflection. Both pics taken with a very long exposure.

Question: Is this normal. Should the screen be totally black when it is not getting any signal (blue turned off)? Should the screen be totally black during a dark passage, like a cut between clips?

I wouldn't necessarily expect the screen to be totally black, but what you show in your pictures definitely doesn't look normal. As lcaillo said, I'd contact the store and/or Mitsubishi about this.
post #73 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first photo is with the room pitch black. I also turned off the blue accent lighting under the TV. Nope, this white blur is generated by the set. Of course it is gone when the set is turned off.

Ah, the anomaly I was thinking of shows up when the set is turned off as well as when it has a black screen.
post #74 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
TrevEB,

The Laservue I've spent some time with has the same issue. However, it was not as severe as illustrated in your pictures. But, even in a fairly illuminated showroom my salesman and I both noticed a very dim light of some kind visable in the middle, lower part of the screen.
post #75 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Treveb.

If this is a true picture of the screen(no effects from camera image) then this is a defect. Not normal and I'm sure your warranty will cover an exchange or correction.
post #76 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckscountyguy View Post

Not all Theorists are equal. Some of us actually own the TV. And have posted much info about it, including Screen shots and system set up etc.
post #77 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john stephens View Post

Not all Theorists are equal. Some of us actually own the TV. And have posted much info about it, including Screen shots and system set up etc.

Where are these at? I only see 2 photos posted.
post #78 of 2707 Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post

Where are these at? I only see 2 photos posted.

The photos were posted on that other Laservue thread--long before this thread was started. I have spent many hours with this TV and posted much useful information on the TV. In fact, it was myh intent to start an Owner's thread but BuckCounty Guy beat me to the punch.
post #79 of 2707 Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just brought home this beauty on Sunday. It is replacing a Panasonic PT-65wx50. That is a 65" rear projection from 2000.

There is a white glow that appears while the screen has no video to it or during a dark passage in a televised or dvd film.

I have turned contrast and brightness way way down but it persists.

The glow appears in the bottom center of the screen and fans outward in a V shape. Picture 2 was taken with a foreground light, so ignore the upper right corner reflection. Both pics taken with a very long exposure.

Question: Is this normal. Should the screen be totally black when it is not getting any signal (blue turned off)? Should the screen be totally black during a dark passage, like a cut between clips?

When I tested the set out in the store, the remote control glowed red. The remote that came with my set glows blue.

Question: What color did you get?

1st: blue is the correct color for the remote. red is other models.

2nd: pictures of televisions can be difficult to capture.
Are you saying that basically the bottom half of the screen is illuminated or are you refering to the bright spot about 20" from the left side?

see pics...
LL
LL
post #80 of 2707 Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hipnotiq:
The bottom half of the screen is illuminated. That bright spot that you circled also exists.
The photo is very accurate as to what is happening. If you sit in a dark room and your eyes have a few minutes to adjust, then the light coming from the screen would be approximately as bright as the photo. Mitsubishi & Anderson's are on the case. I should have some followup answers in a day or two.

i bet they give you a new TV. no way that is normal.
post #81 of 2707 Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

It is rude to do display comparisons in an owners thread.

I also do not provide comparisons on the forum. It just upsets people to hear the deficiencies of their product.

I don't post very often. I do in fact read many posts in many forums. It's refreshing to read your comments re comparisons. I'm sure you're aware of the many "posters" who don't share your consideration and manners. Must be my strict Bostonian upbringing that make more aware of this than others!
Thanks again.
post #82 of 2707 Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:

I think I read a similar observation in the Sound & Vision preview (just a few paragraphs on this LaserVue at the newsstand today. I think it was seen with title crawl.

Regards,

Matt
post #83 of 2707 Old 02-02-2009, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hipnotiq:
The bottom half of the screen is illuminated. That bright spot that you circled also exists.
The photo is very accurate as to what is happening. If you sit in a dark room and your eyes have a few minutes to adjust, then the light coming from the screen would be approximately as bright as the photo. Mitsubishi & Anderson's are on the case. I should have some followup answers in a day or two.

I assume the other owners of this display do not have the same issue. Correct?
post #84 of 2707 Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

I've owned this LaserVue for 2 weeks and I do not notice any bright spots. I do notice shimmering at times but no technology is perfect. I am still blown away as everyone that came over for the super bowl. They could not believe the clarity. I have TIVO series 3 with Verizon FIOS feeding this TV. We watch Bluray Batman and the Dark scenes ( and there are quite a few) look great!!
post #85 of 2707 Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Any pics guys? Been dying to see one, but the local stores probably wont be getting one anytime soon.
post #86 of 2707 Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david91406 View Post

I don't post very often. I do in fact read many posts in many forums. It's refreshing to read your comments re comparisons. I'm sure you're aware of the many "posters" who don't share your consideration and manners. Must be my strict Bostonian upbringing that make more aware of this than others!
Thanks again.

What you obviously never post. Its your first POST!!)
post #87 of 2707 Old 02-03-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

I've never uploaded pictures before and I am afraid I won't do this television justice. I have a 7 year old Samsung DLP and startup was a pain it took yp to 45 seconds or longer to startup. This Lasrvue is 10-15 seconds to startup.
Does anyone have a website or information on how to take advantage of the 3d output jack on this TV? The 3D commercials for the super bowl were good on this tv terrible on Samsung DLP!!!
post #88 of 2707 Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

The first two pictures I sent to Mitsubitshi were diagnosed as;
"normal for rear projection tv"
"glow of light instruments below"
"normal viewing patterns not effected"

I've sent these photos in yesterday and await a reply.

If any of you could manage a few pictures that show the Laservue not having this issue, that would be most appreciated. Since this television is nowhere to be found right now, I have no way of comparing.

The IronMan image was a 1080p download from DirecTV.

Attaching photos is easy. Just choose "go advanced" below "quick reply" and click the paperclip to attach and image.

I see similar internal reflection within my CRT RPTV (Mitsubishi WS-65907). This is only noticeable during credits, and similar situations where the majority of the screen is black, with high contrast images displayed. The reflection in my case, will have a rolling effect when credits scroll on the screen.

I was able to reduce (not eliminate this) by lining all non-reflective areas within my television with duvatyne (sp). Given the nature of the LaserView's construction, and the inherent danger in opening one, I doubt there will be a DIY type solution.

Perhaps future generations will work to reduce internal reflection?

Spence

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #89 of 2707 Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Actually, the correct spelling is Duvetyne.
post #90 of 2707 Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

The first two pictures I sent to Mitsubitshi were diagnosed as;
"normal for rear projection tv"
"glow of light instruments below"
"normal viewing patterns not effected"

I've sent these photos in yesterday and await a reply.

If any of you could manage a few pictures that show the Laservue not having this issue, that would be most appreciated. Since this television is nowhere to be found right now, I have no way of comparing.

The IronMan image was a 1080p download from DirecTV.

Attaching photos is easy. Just choose "go advanced" below "quick reply" and click the paperclip to attach and image.

Is the center of the tv at eye level? Does it exhibit the same charachteristics if it is?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page