Official LaserVue Owners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 2688 Old 05-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Newbie
 
pegneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buying a new Tv this week what are your thoughts>

Panasonic Th-65PZ850U or the LaserVue ??
pegneck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 2688 Old 05-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Newbie
 
Ninerdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1977 View Post

I would suggest nobody purchase this TV. They have stopped production.

The purpose of the release of the unit was to keep the numbers small, sort of "beta" test it in the field. The new generation launches in June after they feel they have worked out the kinks.
Ninerdude is offline  
post #183 of 2688 Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Member
 
dhvsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninerdude View Post

The purpose of the release of the unit was to keep the numbers small, sort of "beta" test it in the field. The new generation launches in June after they feel they have worked out the kinks.

I am curious, do you have any source that confirms your statement? I'd like to see a "fixed" unit at some point

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
dhvsfan is offline  
post #184 of 2688 Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Member
 
joebarnhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not a LV owner but I just saw one at Fry's in Sunnyvale this week. I have to say the picture was stunning. I noticed the rich colors (a little oversaturated, actually, but you expect that in a store) -- but the set also had the subtle shading I associate with a really good CRT projector. I have a Pioneer Elite RPTV calibrated by Mr. Bob and this is the first RPTV set of any technology I thought was better, straight from the box. Congrats to owners of this set. I'm not likely to get one myself as the price is still prohibitive, but it is one hellova TV.
joebarnhart is offline  
post #185 of 2688 Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Member
 
Dennis Dickerso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninerdude View Post

The purpose of the release of the unit was to keep the numbers small, sort of "beta" test it in the field. The new generation launches in June after they feel they have worked out the kinks.

Have we received any confirmation of this? Releasing a new generation this quickly would seem unusual, although it would provide Mitsubishi with an excuse to drop the price to be more competitive. Panasonic is now promising to ship the 65" V10 in June. Is Mitsubishi using the new model to mount a response?

Dennis

Dennis Dickerso is offline  
post #186 of 2688 Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Member
 
rickdeckard123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just saw the laservue at Ovation in Indianapolis. Picture was incredible. They had Indiana Jones playing on bluray and the color was fantastic. Contrary to what I have read, blacks were very inky and deep-similar to my 8th generation Kuro. I would buy one right away if they would drop the price.
rickdeckard123 is offline  
post #187 of 2688 Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
recently saw the laservue at a ken crane's. it was between a 65 and 73 inch "regular" diamond dlp sets by mitsubishi. these were the 835 series and not the "new ones" recently released. these were not professionally calibrated but the mitsubishi reps had just left the store and the salesman said that they did do some tweeking of all the sets. the bottom line was that two salesmen plus myself could see (hd signal espn, and others) very little difference in picture quality. (a bit better colors on the laser) my question is did anyone else have the ability to see these sets matched up this way and if so what was your impression of picture quality. obviously there was a "big big" difference in price and all three of us thought that even the larger 73 inch was as good as the laser...
ordo is offline  
post #188 of 2688 Old 05-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Member
 
ck007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

recently saw the laservue at a ken crane's. it was between a 65 and 73 inch "regular" diamond dlp sets by mitsubishi. these were the 835 series and not the "new ones" recently released. these were not professionally calibrated but the mitsubishi reps had just left the store and the salesman said that they did do some tweeking of all the sets. the bottom line was that two salesmen plus myself could see (hd signal espn, and others) very little difference in picture quality. (a bit better colors on the laser) my question is did anyone else have the ability to see these sets matched up this way and if so what was your impression of picture quality. obviously there was a "big big" difference in price and all three of us thought that even the larger 73 inch was as good as the laser...


Saw the laservue and wish I could say it was better than my 65831....but that certainly was not the case.
ck007 is offline  
post #189 of 2688 Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Dennis Dickerso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard123 View Post

Just saw the laservue at Ovation in Indianapolis. Picture was incredible. They had Indiana Jones playing on bluray and the color was fantastic. Contrary to what I have read, blacks were very inky and deep-similar to my 8th generation Kuro. I would buy one right away if they would drop the price.

The only ones that have been tested to date were on Mitsubshi's premises, under controlled circumstances and apparently limited to single day's access. I would certainly like to see a full lab test with a measured contrast ratio, before and after calibration.

Dennis

Dennis Dickerso is offline  
post #190 of 2688 Old 06-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope that someone does the testing you recommend. Also has anyone heard about the new Laservue's> When are they scheduled to be released and will they have the same lasers> (brightness, color, etc?)
ordo is offline  
post #191 of 2688 Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nicholc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Scientific lab testing, no. However, I recently calibrated a Laservue and here are the before/after results:

Before in dynamic mode:
0IRE - 0.012 ftL
100IRE - 77.846 ftL
Avg gamma - 1.34
Contrast 6644:1 (on/off, not ANSI)

After calibratrion in natural mode:
0IRE - 0.033 ftL
100IRE - 57.284 ftL
Avg gamma - 2.23
Contrast 1751:1 (on/off, not ANSI)

Blacks were very good before and after, but the real prize was how linear the gamma lined up and the grayscale was almost perfect across the board. The only shame was, as reported by reviewers and other calibrators, the primaries and secondaries could not be adjusted enough in the SM or UM to bring them to the HD spec. The largest offender was blue which was not adjustable at all with the current SM controls or UM controls. (Edit: Blue was adjustable, it just couldn't be adjusted in the correct direction. Any adjustment took it further out of spec.)

Here are the before/after for primaries/secondaries:
Color - x,y,Y
Red -.713, .286, 50.690
Green - .182, .784, 200.323
Blue - .163, .014, 7.325
Yellow - .445, .538, 253.683
Cyan - .169, .261, 207.778
Magenta - .331, .096, 74.609

And after:
Red - .642, .328, 45.038
Green - .289, .603, 121.680
Blue - .174, .062, 14.399
Yellow - .408, .509, 176.307
Cyan - .235, .331, 150.107
Magenta - .326, .149, 45.731

It's a shame blue couldn't be adjusted as that would have really helped. All of the others came fairly close.
nicholc2 is offline  
post #192 of 2688 Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coltsfreak18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

Scientific lab testing, no. However, I recently calibrated a Laservue and here are the before/after results:

Before in dynamic mode:
0IRE - 0.012 ftL
100IRE - 77.846 ftL
Avg gamma - 1.34
Contrast 6644:1 (on/off, not ANSI)

What plasma models would have black levels similar to that?

Didn't the 11G (or maybe 10g) panasonic models have similar blacks? What are the current samsung models' black levels?

Sorry for the questions, but I've been keeping up with this display for awhile now. THose numbers, however, don't seem to be remotely close to what the 8 or 9g kuros can put out.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
coltsfreak18 is offline  
post #193 of 2688 Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Member
 
rdorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

Scientific lab testing, no. However, I recently calibrated a Laservue and here are the before/after results:

Before in dynamic mode:
0IRE ......

This was a friend of mines LV. Nicholc2 did both of our sets with mine being a HL67A750. This was my friend and I first experience with calibration and we both love the results. The sets both just look so much more real then before.

If you are in the Columbus Ohio area, I would highly recommend Nicholc2's service.
rdorman is offline  
post #194 of 2688 Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Member
 
Dennis Dickerso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

What plasma models would have black levels similar to that?

Didn't the 11G (or maybe 10g) panasonic models have similar blacks? What are the current samsung models' black levels?

Sorry for the questions, but I've been keeping up with this display for awhile now. THose numbers, however, don't seem to be remotely close to what the 8 or 9g kuros can put out.

The current issue of Home Theater Magazine just tested the lastest Panasonic G10. They show the Full On/Full Off contrast ratio of the Panasonic to be 3,150 to 1. This is less than 1/2 of the 6644 to 1 that nicholc2 measured before calibration, but twice that achieved after calibration. The LaserVue appears to deliver 2x the contrast of the latest Panasonic plasma model when comparing its dynamic mode to a calibrated Panasonic in THX mode - but that would not be a fair comparison. A calibrated LaserVue only appears to be delivering about 1/2 the contrast of a calibrated Panasonic V10. The full numbers from Home Theater Magazine for the G10 were 0.009 off and 28.35 on (which is not nearly not nearly as bright as the LaserVue). Its interesting that the calibration of the LaserVue raised the black level from 0.012 to 0.033, while decreasing the full on brightness number.

Dennis

Dennis Dickerso is offline  
post #195 of 2688 Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,420
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

What plasma models would have black levels similar to that?

Didn't the 11G (or maybe 10g) panasonic models have similar blacks? What are the current samsung models' black levels?

Sorry for the questions, but I've been keeping up with this display for awhile now. THose numbers, however, don't seem to be remotely close to what the 8 or 9g kuros can put out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dickerso View Post

The current issue of Home Theater Magazine just tested the lastest Panasonic G10. They show the Full On/Full Off contrast ratio of the Panasonic to be 3,150 to 1. This is less than 1/2 of the 6644 to 1 that nicholc2 measured before calibration, but only 1/2 of that achieved after calibration. If truly comparable, the LaserVue appears to deliver 2x the contrast of the latest Panasonic plasma model in dynamic mode, but much less calibrated. The full numbers from Home Theater Magazine were 0.009 off and 28.35 on (not nearly as bright).

While both are important black level and contrast ratios aren't the same thing, so you guys aren't really talking about the same thing. The black level is how close to true black the display can get and the contrast ratio is how big a difference there is between the brightest and darkest image the display can show. So the numbers we're seeing for the laservue suggest that the black level is good (not as good as the Kuro, but still pretty good) while the contrast ratio is very good.
gsr is offline  
post #196 of 2688 Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM
 
HDTVFanAtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

Scientific lab testing, no. However, I recently calibrated a Laservue and here are the before/after results:

Before in dynamic mode:
0IRE - 0.012 ftL
100IRE - 77.846 ftL
Avg gamma - 1.34
Contrast 6644:1 (on/off, not ANSI)

After calibratrion in natural mode:
0IRE - 0.033 ftL
100IRE - 57.284 ftL
Avg gamma - 2.23
Contrast 1751:1 (on/off, not ANSI)

Blacks were very good before and after, but the real prize was how linear the gamma lined up and the grayscale was almost perfect across the board. The only shame was, as reported by reviewers and other calibrators, the primaries and secondaries could not be adjusted enough in the SM or UM to bring them to the HD spec. The largest offender was blue which was not adjustable at all with the current SM controls or UM controls. (Edit: Blue was adjustable, it just couldn't be adjusted in the correct direction. Any adjustment took it further out of spec.)

Here are the before/after for primaries/secondaries:
Color - x,y,Y
Red -.713, .286, 50.690
Green - .182, .784, 200.323
Blue - .163, .014, 7.325
Yellow - .445, .538, 253.683
Cyan - .169, .261, 207.778
Magenta - .331, .096, 74.609

And after:
Red - .642, .328, 45.038
Green - .289, .603, 121.680
Blue - .174, .062, 14.399
Yellow - .408, .509, 176.307
Cyan - .235, .331, 150.107
Magenta - .326, .149, 45.731

It's a shame blue couldn't be adjusted as that would have really helped. All of the others came fairly close.

I do applaud you for having the guts to post numbers you had. However, in all due respect, the numbers you posted have a HIGH ERROR FACTOR.

As has been shown in the laserview threads, the i1 Pro is not close to accurate with a Laser or LED light source. The Laserview has been measured with high end units (Minolta CS2000, PR-670 and Progressive Labs Microtech) and unless the software has recently changed, the unit cannot be adjusted to get the green correct, not the blue. It does not surprise me that you show the blue as the issue, given the issues with the i1 Pro.

Furthermore, the Contrast Ratio number is meaningless as the i1 Pro is not accurate below 1.0 fL. If this wasn't enough, using an on/off method for testing is also meaningless when comparing different models as there is no standard for the size of the white box (the smaller the white box, the higher the fL and thus higher the Contrast Ratio). Its ridiculous to believe a number based on a fL of 0.12 fL when the i1 Pro is so INCREDIBLY inaccurate that that level of light.

So again, I applaud you for being public with the data you had available to you. However, with the i1 Pro and a Laser or LED light source, one has to be aware of the limits of the test equipment they are using. This is equivilant to measuring 0-60 MPH in a car with a device that only takes a measurement once every 5 seconds. Sure, you will get the few cars like a Porsche or a that can do 0-60MPH in 4 seconds measure out at the first reading of 5 seconds, then cars such as high end Mercedes that can do it in 6 seconds showing a measurement at 10 Seconds, while most of the cars on the road that take 11-14 Seconds would show 15 Seconds to reach 60 MPH with 5 second resolution. This will help put them into 3 different classes, but it does not come close to showing the entire story.

Bottom line - know the limitations of your the equipment used in your testing.
HDTVFanAtic is offline  
post #197 of 2688 Old 06-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Newbie
 
anamorphica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do any Laservue owners know how to make the power-on default anything other than BRILLIANT MODE? I prefer NATURAL and would like to stop having to reset this everytime I turn on the set.

I'm also experiencing the "light glow/blur" effect mentioned on this forum. My dealer is going to swap out my set with their floor model. Mitsubishi says the light blur is a result of set placement in my room.

I don't think so.
anamorphica is offline  
post #198 of 2688 Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nicholc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

I do applaud you for having the guts to post numbers you had. However, in all due respect, the numbers you posted have a HIGH ERROR FACTOR.

As has been shown in the laserview threads, the i1 Pro is not close to accurate with a Laser or LED light source. The Laserview has been measured with high end units (Minolta CS2000, PR-670 and Progressive Labs Microtech) and unless the software has recently changed, the unit cannot be adjusted to get the green correct, not the blue. It does not surprise me that you show the blue as the issue, given the issues with the i1 Pro.

Furthermore, the Contrast Ratio number is meaningless as the i1 Pro is not accurate below 1.0 fL. If this wasn't enough, using an on/off method for testing is also meaningless when comparing different models as there is no standard for the size of the white box (the smaller the white box, the higher the fL and thus higher the Contrast Ratio). Its ridiculous to believe a number based on a fL of 0.12 fL when the i1 Pro is so INCREDIBLY inaccurate that that level of light.

So again, I applaud you for being public with the data you had available to you. However, with the i1 Pro and a Laser or LED light source, one has to be aware of the limits of the test equipment they are using. This is equivilant to measuring 0-60 MPH in a car with a device that only takes a measurement once every 5 seconds. Sure, you will get the few cars like a Porsche or a that can do 0-60MPH in 4 seconds measure out at the first reading of 5 seconds, then cars such as high end Mercedes that can do it in 6 seconds showing a measurement at 10 Seconds, while most of the cars on the road that take 11-14 Seconds would show 15 Seconds to reach 60 MPH with 5 second resolution. This will help put them into 3 different classes, but it does not come close to showing the entire story.

Bottom line - know the limitations of your the equipment used in your testing.

Another thing that is of course possible is that the blue was indeed where I measured it. I have performed plenty of calibrations of other technologies to be able to tell whether color and grayscale are accurate. I also view the same demo material after each and every calibration as I am very familiar with how it should look.

I appreciate your "candor", but you could be a little less inflamatory. Regardless of the "issues" some claim the i1 has with laser sources, I guarantee the pic was 110% better after I left.

Plus all I was doing was trying to answer someone's question and post some data I gathered. I apologize if it wasn't good enough for you.

BTW, I would like a link to the data you refer to in which "high end" testing equipment was used for a full calibration of a LaserVue television in which the calibrator was able to go into the service menu and do a complete calibration without Mitsubishi being there to interfere.
nicholc2 is offline  
post #199 of 2688 Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 AM
 
HDTVFanAtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

Another thing that is of course possible is that the blue was indeed where I measured it. I have performed plenty of calibrations of other technologies to be able to tell whether color and grayscale are accurate. I also view the same demo material after each and every calibration as I am very familiar with how it should look.

If you want to argue your i1 Pro performs better than lab equipment starting at 15x its costs, then you'll never accept reality no matter what is presented you. I could have posted what I really think of someone testing with equipment that they do not know the limits but refrained myself from doing so. Perhpas I should have as you seemed to be upset I gave you an out which you chose not to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

I appreciate your "candor", but you could be a little less inflamatory. Regardless of the "issues" some claim the i1 has with laser sources, I guarantee the pic was 110% better after I left.

See response above. As noted, a measuring device in the analogy I gave will put cars into 3 classes, but that doesn't mean alot when putting a car that will go 0-60 MPH @ 5.1 Seconds with one that takes 10.0 Seconds when you use 5 second intervals in measurement.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

Plus all I was doing was trying to answer someone's question and post some data I gathered. I apologize if it wasn't good enough for you.

Which I what I believe I stated in the original response you chose to attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

BTW, I would like a link to the data you refer to in which "high end" testing equipment was used for a full calibration of a LaserVue television in which the calibrator was able to go into the service menu and do a complete calibration without Mitsubishi being there to interfere.

Search for UMR's test with his PR670 vs an i1 Pro on the Laserview thread. I assume you know how to use the search feature of the forum? I also have results from a CS2000 and Progressive Labs Microspec which have not been posted.
HDTVFanAtic is offline  
post #200 of 2688 Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nicholc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been following both LaserVue threads since they were started very closely just in case I ever got the chance to get my hands on one. There are no instances where an after calibration report has been posted with actual coordinate values. I even asked umr to provide those numbers and he refused to do so. I am the first person to post what I came up with and I get slammed for it.

I in no way think that an i1Pro is anywhere close to as accurate as a 15k meter. I'm not that naive. I am a computer engineer with a mathematics background, so I have a very analytical mind. I want to see data, not graphs. Plus if you look, any actual data that is posted is "Pre-calibration" data, no post calibration data.

When I posted my results, it was just to provide some actual data that I gathered with my tool to answer someone's question. That's all. You were the one who chose to attack me, not the other way around.

Also, you should know that the LaserVue that I calibrated was one of the ones that came of the line "after" Mitsi fixed their manufacturing process. It could be that they changed something in the process that threw blue way off. Even if the I1 is up to 0.015 wrong in measuring a LaserVue, that still wouldn't account for the large error I measured.

Oh, and BTW, I also reviewed my first post with my results and I can't seem to find where I stated that my results were the defacto results for any calibrator or Laservue. I believe I stated this is what I came up with and that was that. I could have just been some end user using a spyder and wanted to give some feedback on what I measured. I guess I should have put a disclaimer at the end of my post so as to fend off any attacks. ;-)
nicholc2 is offline  
post #201 of 2688 Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lcaillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 3,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

As has been shown in the laserview threads, the i1 Pro is not close to accurate with a Laser or LED light source. The Laserview has been measured with high end units (Minolta CS2000, PR-670 and Progressive Labs Microtech) and unless the software has recently changed, the unit cannot be adjusted to get the green correct, not the blue. It does not surprise me that you show the blue as the issue, given the issues with the i1 Pro.


I am curious where the data is from these measurements and where, specifically, the differences in measurement with the i1 and the other meters has been documented. Where are these measurements discussed and where are the spectral data to identify the limitations of the lower end meter?

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
lcaillo is offline  
post #202 of 2688 Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Member
 
Dennis Dickerso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

I have been following both LaserVue threads since they were started very closely just in case I ever got the chance to get my hands on one. There are no instances where an after calibration report has been posted with actual coordinate values. I even asked umr to provide those numbers and he refused to do so. I am the first person to post what I came up with and I get slammed for it.

I in no way think that an i1Pro is anywhere close to as accurate as a 15k meter. I'm not that naive. I am a computer engineer with a mathematics background, so I have a very analytical mind. I want to see data, not graphs. Plus if you look, any actual data that is posted is "Pre-calibration" data, no post calibration data.

When I posted my results, it was just to provide some actual data that I gathered with my tool to answer someone's question. That's all. You were the one who chose to attack me, not the other way around.

Also, you should know that the LaserVue that I calibrated was one of the ones that came of the line "after" Mitsi fixed their manufacturing process. It could be that they changed something in the process that threw blue way off. Even if the I1 is up to 0.015 wrong in measuring a LaserVue, that still wouldn't account for the large error I measured.

Oh, and BTW, I also reviewed my first post with my results and I can't seem to find where I stated that my results were the defacto results for any calibrator or Laservue. I believe I stated this is what I came up with and that was that. I could have just been some end user using a spyder and wanted to give some feedback on what I measured. I guess I should have put a disclaimer at the end of my post so as to fend off any attacks. ;-)


Well, I appreciate finally seeing some calibrated numbers, and thank you. Even the few reviews out there did not include measurements for contrast ratios. I am curious - I noted that when calibrated the 0 IRE increased and the 100 IRE decreased, which squeezed the contrast ratio from both ends - was this the result of the gamma being so far off ?

Dennis

Dennis Dickerso is offline  
post #203 of 2688 Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nicholc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dickerso View Post

Well, I appreciate finally seeing some calibrated numbers, and thank you. Even the few reviews out there did not include measurements for contrast ratios. I am curious - I noted that when calibrated the 0 IRE increased and the 100 IRE decreased, which squeezed the contrast ratio from both ends - was this the result of the gamma being so far off ?

You're welcome. It had to do with two different factors. First being that the initial ratio was with the TV in brilliant mode which outputs more luminance at 100IRE. When you switch to natural, the 100IRE luminance goes down. Also, as you suspected, the brightness had to be raised and the contrast lowered to get a linear gamma.

That doesn't indicate any flaw in this TV. It still displayed a very good black level and with the accurate gamma, the rise from black to white was linear and shadow detail was very, very good due to this fact.
nicholc2 is offline  
post #204 of 2688 Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 AM
 
HDTVFanAtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

I am curious where the data is from these measurements and where, specifically, the differences in measurement with the i1 and the other meters has been documented. Where are these measurements discussed and where are the spectral data to identify the limitations of the lower end meter?

Try post #32 in this thread where umr gave specific info and told nicholc2 that the i1 Pro was not able to measure the laservue without a large error.

Search works wonders.....

Furthermore, the first 3 people allowed into Mitsubishi had full access of the SM with the CS2000 (all prior to 10/01/2008) - and once Green could not be moved far enough to correct the correct x,y position, only then was access to the SM denied for future people.

Finally, Gary Merson posted x,y positions in his article from early October of last year, so I am unsure why others claim "they" were the first to post x,y coordinates:

Brilliant Red x.7159 y.2833
DCI. Red x.680 y.320
Natural Red x.6790 y.3088
Rec. 709 Red x .640 y.330

Brilliant Green x.1725 y.7943
DCI Green x .265 y.690
Natural Green x.2920 y.6798
Rec. 709 Green x .300 y.600

Brilliant Blue x.1622 y.0129
DCI Blue x.150 y.0600
Natural Blue x.1628 y.0508
Rec. 709 Blue x.150 y.0600

http://hdguru.com/mitsubishi-laservu...exclusive/310/
HDTVFanAtic is offline  
post #205 of 2688 Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nicholc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Try post #32 in this thread where umr gave specific info and told nicholc2 that the i1 Pro was not able to measure the laservue without a large error.

Search works wonders.....

Furthermore, the first 3 people allowed into Mitsubishi had full access of the SM with the CS2000 (all prior to 10/01/2008) - and once Green could not be moved far enough to correct the correct x,y position, only then was access to the SM denied for future people.

Finally, Gary Merson posted x,y positions in his article from early October of last year, so I am unsure why others claim "they" were the first to post x,y coordinates:

Brilliant Red x.7159 y.2833
DCI. Red x.680 y.320
Natural Red x.6790 y.3088
Rec. 709 Red x .640 y.330

Brilliant Green x.1725 y.7943
DCI Green x .265 y.690
Natural Green x.2920 y.6798
Rec. 709 Green x .300 y.600

Brilliant Blue x.1622 y.0129
DCI Blue x.150 y.0600
Natural Blue x.1628 y.0508
Rec. 709 Blue x.150 y.0600

http://hdguru.com/mitsubishi-laservu...exclusive/310/

All umr did was post a blanket statement of the errors he said he discovered with the i1. He did not post any actual data to back this up. Again, I even asked him to do so and he would not. All I and lcaillo want to see is actual data. Neither of us are claiming umr is incorrect. We want to see the data to back up the claim.

As far as the hdguru review goes, I read that when it first came out. Here is a quote from the article: "I performed all tests and evaluations at Mitsubishi's US headquarters in California. User controls were adjusted in the Natural and Brilliant modes.". No service menu adjustments were made. The measurements you quote above are therefore not after a full calibration.

lcaillo and I both have been around long enough to know how to use search functions. I have also extensively searched via google to try and find anywhere a calibrator has posted actual numberical post-calibration data and have yet to see anything besides the data I gathered myself from an actual calibration.

In the spirit of Jerry Maquire "Show me the data!".
nicholc2 is offline  
post #206 of 2688 Old 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
Panny50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In an earlier post Anamorphia asked why his set continued to default to "brilliant" mode on power up.....seems that the set will continue to default to factory settings on power up if you do not configure the ANT1 and ANT2 inputs.

This is especially confusing if you do not normally use ANT inputs and only used HDMI inputs. After completing this step the set remembers all user configurable settings on power up.
Panny50 is offline  
post #207 of 2688 Old 06-08-2009, 01:50 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

All umr did was post a blanket statement of the errors he said he discovered with the i1. He did not post any actual data to back this up. Again, I even asked him to do so and he would not. All I and lcaillo want to see is actual data. Neither of us are claiming umr is incorrect. We want to see the data to back up the claim....

Why bother? If you will not believe my statement why would my data be any more credible. These products are also going nowhere.
umr is offline  
post #208 of 2688 Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
seggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Why bother? If you will not believe my statement why would my data be any more credible. These products are also going nowhere.

Maybe the data would backup the statement? You would at least have a better leg to stand on....

Lots of people around here, in lots of forums, ask for links to things that are being discussed. Can't really see it being an issue unless things are being hidden. And no, I don't mean by you.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
seggers is online now  
post #209 of 2688 Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nicholc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Why bother? If you will not believe my statement why would my data be any more credible. These products are also going nowhere.

That's pretty presumptuous. Noone said they didn't necessarily believe it. We just want to see the data to back it up. I don't think that's too much to ask. If for no other reason, it would be nice to see what you did in fact come up with. I know I for one am very curious since I use the i1Pro for my calibrations.

Have you had the opportunity to calibrate another of these? Have you had the chance to calibrate one of the models that came off the the line after they fixed the manufacturing process as I did? I'd love to see how they compare.
nicholc2 is offline  
post #210 of 2688 Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here are the errors for various colors for an i1 Pro with this product.

Offset error in x:

0.004605204
-0.01101084
-0.001792089
-0.005894318
-0.004983092
-0.006012003
-0.005946679

Offset error in y:

-0.001485701
0.015360984
-0.002238493
0.005848528
-0.003683908
0.008934807
0.0020

Y correction factor:

1.039887826
1.009870055
0.9006715
0.947146441
0.863790114
0.932671202
0.857696482
umr is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off