Official LaserVue Owners thread - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2761 of 2784 Old 12-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After them stopping parts support of a one year super costly tv, I would never buy another product of any kind from Mitsubishi if it was only a dime! What they did was illegal and they only paid customers a fraction of the cost of the product that became useless due to their illegal act of discontinuing parts on nearly new product. They should not be allowed to sell anything in this country.
OptimusNeo09 likes this.

Bill Shenefelt
http://sheneskillies.com
william.shenefelt@verizon.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2784 Old 12-16-2015, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
After them stopping parts support of a one year super costly tv, I would never buy another product of any kind from Mitsubishi if it was only a dime! What they did was illegal and they only paid customers a fraction of the cost of the product that became useless due to their illegal act of discontinuing parts on nearly new product. They should not be allowed to sell anything in this country.
I have to agree. How they were able to skirt requirements to continue to provide parts after last date sale for - seven years isn't it? - is beyond me. Add to that all the ripped hides out there thanks to rip-off warranty providers and, well, it's been/is a complete cluster. I happened to really luck out with my warranty, if one wants to call it luck even, but obviously many others haven't. It's left a sour taste in me to this day.

If by some weird chance Mits does get back into this biz, I will do my best to ensure every online nook and cranny is informed how purchasers of prior models were treated (by Mits primarily), linking back to various horror stories if possible, and I hope others will too. And it wasn't just end-consumers that got the shaft; many resellers and businesses got burned as well, so much so that I'd be surprised if Mits had an easy time getting anyone to sell them again. Maybe East Coast TV's and Abe's of Maine would carry them...
post #2763 of 2784 Old 01-20-2016, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Add me to the list. I'm in Anchorage, Alaska. On September 30, 2012, I purchased a 75" A-94, wrote a check for $5,000. It replaced a 73" Mits RP that had given me 6 years of good service and that had replaced another Mits and another before that. All those TVs and many other products were purchased from a dealer who had been in business here for 40 years. Before I even took delivery, the dealer went out of business. I was assured not to worry, Mits would take care of me. A month later, Mits pulled out of the country. About 6 months ago, I began to notice issues, had to keep pushing up the brightness and contrast. You know the rest. I have no leverage. No dealer, no manufacturer, nothing. I bought a Sony 940c from Best Buy, it is spectacular. I hope it lasts longer than 3 years and I hope Best Buy is still around when I decide to move on.
post #2764 of 2784 Old 01-21-2016, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
Add me to the list. I'm in Anchorage, Alaska. On September 30, 2012, I purchased a 75" A-94, wrote a check for $5,000. It replaced a 73" Mits RP that had given me 6 years of good service and that had replaced another Mits and another before that. All those TVs and many other products were purchased from a dealer who had been in business here for 40 years. Before I even took delivery, the dealer went out of business. I was assured not to worry, Mits would take care of me. A month later, Mits pulled out of the country. About 6 months ago, I began to notice issues, had to keep pushing up the brightness and contrast. You know the rest. I have no leverage. No dealer, no manufacturer, nothing. I bought a Sony 940c from Best Buy, it is spectacular. I hope it lasts longer than 3 years and I hope Best Buy is still around when I decide to move on.
Many people are purchasing SquareTrade warranties from Costco for less than $100 to add a few more years of service. We did that for our Sony 850C.
If your 940c is a recent purchase, you might want to look into it.
post #2765 of 2784 Old 01-22-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
What was the name of the dealer from which you purchased your L75-A94 back in 2012? Do you perhaps have the current contact information for the former owner of that defunct firm? If so, would you be so kind as to send me a private message with that information? Do you still have the defective set?
Augerhandle likes this.
post #2766 of 2784 Old 02-08-2016, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the PM, Jim. I sent you a new message.
post #2767 of 2784 Old 02-29-2016, 10:30 PM

A young lady from Mitsubishi called me on Friday. She asked if I had repaired my set and I said no, that parts were no longer available. I politely explained the entire situation. She asked if I still had the set and I said yes and that I had bought a replacement. She said they would process my claim and move forward. Maybe I'll get some money after all...
Augerhandle likes this.
post #2768 of 2784 Old 04-03-2016, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just witnessed what I've read here... my L75-A91 startup screen started out bright then dulled, all inputs are now also dull and have a color shift every 10-20 seconds, random power downs without any messages.

I have no diagnostic codes, other than the "12" which is from when I have unplugged it and have moved it around.

Tried all the reset options... a/v resets, initialize reset, hard reset (8sec power button hold down, which oddly allows the laservue startup screen to remain bright but then dull when any input content is loaded)

My service menu now also has a red hue to everything.

I have 2520 hours on the set, though the most time on any laser was red at 67,686 minutes, which is just south of 1,133 hours.
I've read that people here and elsewhere blame the red laser as the problem associated with this issue, but I guess I don't see how that is possible, the startup screen starts out bright then dulls, if the laser was worn out it would always lack the ability to produce a bright picture.... a laser is supposed to be "solid state" not "jelly"

The only thing I noticed that I hadn't before is that my temps always report 00.00 degrees C in the status menu and Peltier DAC % at 100.00... I bought a service manual PDF download and found where the TEMP1 board is located but since the manual doesn't have any operating readings that should be between pins, nor the replacement p/n for the board it's more of a dead end. The only thing I see is bad soldering on the connector on the HDMI board that the temp1 board leads go to.

If someone has a working laservue and would post what their readings are for temp and peltier dac %'s are it would be appreciated (status menu: menu+2+4+7+0)

Is it possible the light engines have a "limp mode" if the temp board has an open, or no reading period, in order to keep the engine from overheating? Because it's obvious that it's capable of brightness, something is limiting the output from the light engine.
My fans still function and the heatsink fins are clean...

Mitsubishi should feed us a engineer to help us create a flowchart on diagnosis and repair of these sets, and they should also open up their suppliers to us so we can create some DIY fixes for the light engine. The DLP chip replacement is easy, the lense cleaning is easy. Soldering a new laser diode would also be easy...

I have a 82" dlp, and two 4k screens in house, but the laservue was the "go-to" panel for blu-rays.

I don't want to give it up, I want it fixed.

My WD-82738 of the same year (2010) has over 20k hours on it in my living room and other than a slight whine when it starts up (possibly the fan, most likely the color wheel) functions fine.

If they're done with the laservue line, they might as well give us component level replacement info.

But as I asked earlier, if someone has a working set they can post temp #'s and if they're daring enough to give me readings off their temp board pins, it would be appreciated.

I worked for a manufacture of MRI PCB/Wiring for almost 10 years, I'm not worried about replacing parts at a component level. If it is the temp sensor board, if they would open up the supplier info, I could get the data sheet on the sensor and find a replaceable part and use some thermal conductive epoxy to reattach to the board...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160403_151225.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1356570   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160403_150957.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1356578  
post #2769 of 2784 Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Paid! but it still sucks

Got my Mits LV settelement check today: $500. Bought the unit 3/21/2012. hasn't worked right since summer of 2014
apparently their 5 year depreciation is NOT straight-line. Seems to be closer to a double declining balance method.

The mits lv site has case documents. The Settlement Agreement PDF mentions the depreciation is described in "Exhibit F". But there are no exhibits (A, B, C, D etc.) in that document.
None of the other case documents has any refs to F either.

Does anyone have a copy of exb F handy and can post?
post #2770 of 2784 Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

We bailed thanks to a BB extended warranty and the GeekSquad having no idea what to do with a laservue. After too many visits with nothing happening they junked it and we got a Sony XBR75X850C for a few hundred more and couldn't be happier.

I will say $500 seems suspicious, but then again, the lawyers probably took most of the money.
post #2771 of 2784 Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 AM

I got my check today, $1,628. I expected $500 and I have no idea why it was higher. I bought the unit new in Sept 2012 from a dealer who is now out of business. I never had it repaired, never called or wrote Mitsubishi until December of this year.

post #2772 of 2784 Old 04-05-2016, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
and we got a Sony XBR75X850C for a few hundred more and couldn't be happier.
That model is FALD or is it "only" full array?

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #2773 of 2784 Old 04-05-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
That model is FALD or is it "only" full array?
I think Sony only built one FALD in 2015, the XBR75X940C, but I'm not sure. It was a bit extreme in price and certainly not something BB was offering on the exchange. I don't know how the 2016 models are though, they're making a lot of their TVs thinner which seems to be translating into worse blacks.

If you aren't jumping on an old 2015 TV, which are really cheap right now and a great deal, then be patient and wait for reviews. You can't buy TVs in Spring/Summer or you will get burned on price. It's not worth shopping until the end of November.
post #2774 of 2784 Old 04-05-2016, 01:59 PM

Holy doodoo Batman!

Quote:
I got my check today, $1,628. I expected $500 and I have no idea why it was higher. I bought the unit new in Sept 2012 from a dealer who is now out of business. I never had it repaired, never called or wrote Mitsubishi until December of this year.
Part of the equation for depreciation is the original purchase price (or at least it _should_ be). If I may be so nosy, could you please say what you paid for the unit?
Mine was $3225 and the (minimum settlement ($500)) fits pretty closely to a 3 1/2 year deprecation (3/12 -> 10/15+) schedule.
So with your's, say, you paid $6000 by the end of three years (9/15 or so) you could expect ~$1296 if the schedule is double-declining balance of 5 years. (You lose 40% of value every year -- until it drops to <= $500.)
post #2775 of 2784 Old 04-05-2016, 10:10 PM

I wrote a check for $5,000 on 9/30/12, took delivery about 6 weeks later.... 3 weeks after the dealer went out of business after 40 years. 6 weeks after that, Mitsubishi pulled out of the market.
post #2776 of 2784 Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I wrote a check for $5,000 on 9/30/12, took delivery about 6 weeks later.... 3 weeks after the dealer went out of business after 40 years. 6 weeks after that, Mitsubishi pulled out of the market.
I seem to remember a postcard last year but nothing else.

Did one have to opt in or out of the settlement?
post #2777 of 2784 Old 04-06-2016, 02:52 PM

and the doo-doo continues to fall.

Quote:
I don't know how Mits is calculating these settlements. The settlement site: http://www.mitsubishilaservuesettlem...documents.aspx has the settlement Agreement which references Exhibit F. That exhibit is supposed to document the depreciation schedule. There's got to be something funky in that schedule to have such wildly different amounts. The document does not have Exhibit F in it (or A, B, C, D etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post

Did one have to opt in or out of the settlement?
I believe you needed to file a claim in order to "opt-in". Or conversely, explicitly opt-out. If you did nothing, again just a belief, you have no recourse at this point.

Anybody else out there get a check? Mind sharing your particulars (purchase $ and date, and, apparently, from what I can tell, the date you filed the claim)?

How about a copy of Exhibit F?
post #2778 of 2784 Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 PM

One other note - the check was dated 3/17 but was apparently not mailed for 2 weeks. Came certified, naturally. Other than the standard form letter included, no other contact.
post #2779 of 2784 Old 04-07-2016, 11:42 AM

imagine that.

Quote:
One other note - the check was dated 3/17 but was apparently not mailed for 2 weeks. Came certified, naturally. Other than the standard form letter included, no other contact.
Class Counsel provided me with a copy of the Exhibit F (defining the depreciation schedule). It is a 5-year straight line method. So, for every month of ownership you lose 1.67%. This is much more advantageous to a class member than the double-declining balance method.

Given the info you provided JW your check seems accurate. The end date for calculating is the earlier of the date Mits said, sorry, your unit is unrepairable or the date of the settlement. I'm not sure of the "date of the settlement" but, I think, Nov 2015 is a reasonable date.

Whether I use Nov 2015 or Mar 2016 -- Mits shorted me by at least $139.

Supposedly, the Settlement Administrator is to update the web-site "mitsubishilaservuesettlement.com" so that the Exhibit F is available. I've placed it on the web here: http://mountcrumpit.com/exhibitf.pdf

Check your numbers! I can't believe I'm the only they made a mistake on.

Anybody know how many of these beasts were sold over the years? (or at least since late 2010?)
post #2780 of 2784 Old 04-07-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokosz View Post

Supposedly, the Settlement Administrator is to update the web-site "mitsubishilaservuesettlement.com" so that the Exhibit F is available. I've placed it on the web here: http://mountcrumpit.com/exhibitf.pdf
I'm taking down my link to the Exhbit. The mits site now has all the exhibits: http://www.mitsubishilaservuesettlem...hibits_a-h.pdf
post #2781 of 2784 Old 04-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Maybe I should have responded to that post-card, lol. I could have used a $1k+ refund! However, I thought I read on it that I was not qualified since I had my set repaired by Mits a year or so after I purchased it. Guess it doesn't matter now.

Fortunately, since the repair it's been running strong; lasting longer than it did before noticeably dimming the first time. However, I'm not sure what I'll do when it dims again and, unfortunately, I have a feeling that's inevitable since it's been on almost 24-7 for the last few months while my wife's been home with our newborn baby girl.

For all the owners in this thread; if you've replaced your set with something >= 75", would y'all care to post what it was and how you think it compares.
post #2782 of 2784 Old 04-26-2016, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
For all the owners in this thread; if you've replaced your set with something >= 75", would y'all care to post what it was and how you think it compares.
I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking about the Sony 75X940C. I'm just hoping that the price will drop some more. It is last years model and it's already discounted, just not to the point I'm ready to buy. If I didn't have other priorities right now I might jump in at the current price point.

We went from the 75" laservue, to a 65" Sony (see sig), and I really miss the bigger TV. When I bought the Sony I did not intend to swap out the LV, but the 3D was much better and my wife loved the 2D picture more than the LV.

I don't think you'll lose much if anything with the Sony. It also gets you in the door with WCG and HDR.
DreamWarrior likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900A | Oppo BDP-103D | UBD-K8500
Mirage OMD-28 (LR) | OMD-C2 (C) | OMD-5 (SS, FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | NAD T973 x 2
SVS PB12Plus/2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP
Monster Power HTPS 2000

Last edited by jasonmichaelh; 04-26-2016 at 08:03 PM.
post #2783 of 2784 Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can you believe this thing was just shy of 95% of rec2020 color gamut?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...htm#mitsubishi
DoctorM likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900A | Oppo BDP-103D | UBD-K8500
Mirage OMD-28 (LR) | OMD-C2 (C) | OMD-5 (SS, FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | NAD T973 x 2
SVS PB12Plus/2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP
Monster Power HTPS 2000
post #2784 of 2784 Old 04-27-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
Can you believe this thing was just shy of 95% of rec2020 color gamut?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...htm#mitsubishi
I know, right?

Btw, we got a Sony XBR75X850C to replace our Laservue a96... and honestly, it blows the Laservue away and it sold for a lot less.

The Laservue may have had 95%+ of Rec.2020, but it really didn't take could advantage of it. The picture mode that expanded to it was good, but not great.

We replaced via a Best Buy warranty, and got a bit burned, but still did a lot better than taking Mits' crappy settlement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page