Toshiba 56H80 blinking red light and dead - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Toshiba 56H80 had the blinking red light, no picture, no audio problem last week. Disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable from the wall fixed it for a week. I also tried keeping it completely disconnected for over night but it kept going into the blinking red light protection mode. I did some research and found that it may be the convergence ICs heating up. The TV did not have any convergence/picture quality problem but I went ahead and ordered the STK392-150s. Before the STK chips arrived, the TV went completely dead, no picture, no sound and solid red light. Unplugging and replugging seem to make no difference now. I am going to replace the convergence ICs but I am not sure if that will fix the problem.

Can anyone point me to what else could be wrong that could cause this and what to replace? I am suspecting that the power supply could be a suspect and if the TV does not come back after STK392 replacement I should look at that. I have taken out the board with STKs on it. I also looked at the main fuse on the power supply board (next to AC connector) and it was fine. I remember there some other capacitors and fuses that I could check on the power supply board but can't find that information now. I would be willing to replace the entire power supply board but don't know where to get a new one?

I could not figure out how to disconnect the big red wires with black rubber sleeves from the power supply board. Please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 AM

Your post seemed to be similar to my problem. I bought my Toshiba 57HD81 new unit in 2001 and have had NO problems until now. Picture went black, red LED blinking, still have sound. Unsuccessful hard reset. Just prior, color was fine except mildly vibrating sides picture thinking it was cable reception. Today, the tech took the board back to his shop for benchwork. He plans to replace the conv. IC and 2 caps.

So far, sunk costs $128 (Housecall-$95, Diagnostics-$33). Quoted $460 and have it back in 3-5 days ($425 plus $35 tax). Since you did a lot of research I wondered if you thought this reasonable?
post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2009, 10:49 AM

wow you could have got a massive TV for that much repair money! :P
[img]http://www.**********/135l1040.jpg[/img]
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page