Old CRT vs New Mid Price DLP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-02-2009, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 8 year old HDTV, a rear projection CRT, top of the line, at least per major consumer electronics companies. Have these been surpassed in every way by modern DLP or others? What about DLP and others priced midrange. I'd consider upgrading, but the rapid pace of development is a bit discouraging. It appears this year's big buck WOW is tomorrow's run of the mill. So by avoiding being an early adopter, one gets the quality at a fraction of the price. Or do I have this wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's true that technology in components and algorithms evolve to improve black levels, contrast ratios, cost effectiveness, uniformity and color accuracy. However sets are now good enough, so now manufacturers are looking at ways to deliver more content via way of internet widgets.

So better ways of delivering inclusive marketing and interactive content is part of future tech.

But this shouldn't prevent you from enjoying the latest and greatest today!

Look at what you're currently missing out on, Xbox360n & PlayStation online gaming, Bluray 1080p, 7.1 sound.

I predict that in five years, the manufacturers (the ones still standing) will corrupt the governments to mandate A/V implants in citizen's brains for marketing propaganda and demographic control...and no, that won't be fun.

So, enjoy your freedom today and what life has to offer -- today, without worrying about tomorrow...And who knows, tomorrow may never come.

Oh, and if you're contemplating upgrading to a critically acclaimed modern LED based DLP (SAMSUNG), you best act fast. The prices are starting to rise on these as the rising demand is exceeding the diminishing supply.

--- Or be stuck paying 3+ times more for a comparable LCD or plasma.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucest View Post

I have a 8 year old HDTV, a rear projection CRT, top of the line, at least per major consumer electronics companies. Have these been surpassed in every way by modern DLP or others? What about DLP and others priced midrange. I'd consider upgrading, but the rapid pace of development is a bit discouraging. It appears this year's big buck WOW is tomorrow's run of the mill. So by avoiding being an early adopter, one gets the quality at a fraction of the price. Or do I have this wrong?

Just replaced a 9 year old Pioneer Elite 58" CRT set with a Samsung 61A750 in our dedicated home theater room. We're upgrading the audio and doing a few other things, so it will be a few months before we really get to try out the new DLP. It looks really decent for the price from our preliminary tests. It came down to this for us: Pay a well known calibrator out of our area that specializes in CRT renovations come and clean the optics, re-solder the PS, and perform a full calibration. This was going to cost about the same as the new DLP did. We decided to give the DLP a go. We are hanging onto the Elite just in case the DLP doesn't work out.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page