JVC HD-61FN97 screen trouble - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I woke up today to find out that my families television has developed some sort of screen troubles.

The image isn't so great, all I had access to was an old cell-phone camera. If you can't tell, they're shadows but you can still make out the image underneath them. It reminds me a bit of when you crack an LCD screen only, instead of getting a wonderful green blob, we have black shadows. But there is, as far as we can tell, no damage to the screen and nothing that has happened in the past few days that would have caused this.

We've called JVC and they've suggested that it might be dust under the screen, but that just seems a bit odd. I've tried searching the forums but I've come up empty handed as far as pictures of other people with similar problems. I know there are issues with dust blobs, but do they normally present in this manner? The bulb probably needs replacing, but I don't think that would cause things like this, would it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
It looks to me like some sort of debris has fallen onto the lens. Do those sets have access doors on the side? If so pull one off and look in. The lens is on the bottom of the inside cavity. You can remove any loose debris with a feather-duster or other gentle device.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked and I found several access doors. On a lark and I took off the one that was easiest to get into. It let me see inside the unit and then I noticed that there is something actually wrong with the screen. The marks still appear when the unit is off and pressing on them causes it to spread a bit, as if there was liquid or a gap or something and your forcing it bigger. It goes back to that size after removing your finger.

I'm perplexed. I don't see how liquid would get into the screen, certainly not on just an isolated portion near the bottom of the unit.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-03-2009, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Has anyone cleaned the screen? Do you have kids who might have spilled something on it? Apparently there are multiple layers and a liquid that runs down into the base can wick up between the layers. I suggest you do searches of this forum on this topic to see what others have experienced, and what might be done to fix it. I know it's been mentioned occasionally.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
HI ALL,, well to me it looks like, well an "impact" . If you have children then that could be the cause; if it is a liquid; put a high velocity fan to it and see. YEA AN THOSE DUST BLOTCHES, got the first light engine replaced about year ago and now GUESS WHAT.... THEY ARE BAAACK!!!!!!!!

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Looking for help on this, not sure if it's best to bump this old thread, or make a new one. My old JVC HD-ILA 61FN97 has a problem, and I posted a pic. The right side of the screen is fine, but from the center towards the left side is a sort of 'dark halo'. The whites are off white, and the colors are off. The pic is what should be an all white background. It started about 2 weeks ago, and it's getting worse. I replaced the bulb back in Sept.....I pulled it back out and it seems fine. The glass the bulb shines though also looks fine. I also opened up the side hatches, cleared dust on the lens and looked at the mirror at the back of the TV....both seem fine. Any ideas before I either get a repair or replace the TV?
LL
post #7 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM

my set just developed a similar problem. My screen went out and when I replaced the bulb there was a basketball sized shadowin the up left quadrant. It seems to be very faint but dims out my picture and effects the color. Gives skin tones purple tints and its growing across my screen! any info? I replaced the replaced bulb and its still there. now is the next step a color engine? I don't want to put anymore money into this set
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 04:14 PM

I'm on the same boat, replaced the bulb with a generic one back in Nov. Recently I started noticing a blob that's starting to look like a dark streak from the bottom left to the top right. Any suggestion on what this could be?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page