Samsung HL61A750 DLP LED Failure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my TV at The end of January 2009. We were watching it on Sunday and the picture went out. I reset the TV and when it cam on the red portion of the color was gone.

I called Samsung and they are repairing it under warranty. My concern is that the technician brought out a new main board. From looking in the service menu he determined that it was the LED.

I asked if that was normal and was told that yes, it is a common problem with these sets.

I haven't seen any threads so far with this issue. Has anyone experienced this? My concern is how expensive an LED bulb will be when not under warranty.

Thanks for looking,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have seen two or three posted about losing one of the colors. Others have been unable to get a repair and have been offered buy outs by Samsung. Let us know how yours is resolved, but I think going forward you won't be able to get the lamps, I don't think you will be able to now. Post back and let us know.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply!
So far the tech says he will have the part in 3 or 4 days.
I hope that is the case because I like the TV and like the size. I don't know what would be comparable to this TV for the price!
I will post my results when they happen.
Sean
Old 03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My concern is how expensive an LED bulb will be when not under warranty.

What Bulb?

Quote:

Let us know how yours is resolved, but I think going forward you won't be able to get the lamps, I don't think you will be able to now.

What Lamp?

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Eddy,
What do you mean? It is an led dlp samsung tv as stated in the title of the thread.
What specific info are you looking for?
Sean
Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanol View Post

Eddy,
What do you mean? It is an led dlp samsung tv as stated in the title of the thread.
What specific info are you looking for?
Sean

I think what Eddy means is that this set has no bulb and LED module failures are rare.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Steve,
It has an LED light engine. I am assuming that it is replace similar to how a bulb is replaced but of course we all know how assuming goes.
I still have a TV with no red what so ever.
The technicians came Friday with a main board and left after realizing that the board was not the problem. They have an LED light engine on order.
Thanks,
Sean
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
When I talked to a tech about the LEDs he thought they were a little over a hundred dollars each ($130 or so?) if I remember correctly. Of course the set has three of them.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

I just talked to the repair shop and they have ordered an LED driver. It should be in later this week.
I was contacted by Samsung about how my warranty work was progressing and I asked them about parts availability.
She said that as far as she knew, they had parts available for repair.
I will update when the parts are in.
Thanks,
Sean
Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

I think what Eddy means is that this set has no bulb and LED module failures are rare.

Thx Steven..

" The 750 has an LED light source that should last the life of the set. No bulbs to replace.

Nearly instant startup times, with instant brightness no need for the bulb or ballast to warm up. "

Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, in this case, it failed after a month.

What do you replace then? Are the parts user replaceable or are the owners out in the cold? It is only the red portion of the color spectrum, is this an individual LED or a lamp assembly of some kind? Have you ever taken one apart?

I am well aware of what I bought even if the terminology does not transfer well. Since I have not seen the inside of the set I have absolutely no idea how the light engine works, is installed or is located.

I don't think pointing out that conventional terminology not applying is relevant to my question. I have read the thread on this TV and I am looking for advice from some who may have had a similar issue.

Search returned no hits for my problem.

If you have any information to add that is relevant to the discussion I would welcome that.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, in this case, it failed after a month.

What do you replace then? Are the parts user replaceable or are the owners out in the cold? It is only the red portion of the color spectrum, is this an individual LED or a lamp assembly of some kind? Have you ever taken one apart?

I am well aware of what I bought even if the terminology does not transfer well. Since I have not seen the inside of the set I have absolutely no idea how the light engine works, is installed or is located.

I don't think pointing out that conventional terminology not applying is relevant to my question. I have read the thread on this TV and I am looking for advice from some who may have had a similar issue.

Search returned no hits for my problem.

If you have any information to add that is relevant to the discussion I would welcome that.

Thanks,
Sean

The LED modules are not meant to be a "user replaceable item" like the lamp on bulb sets are. They are suppose to last 60,00 hours which is considered the life of the set. You have had a component fail that has a very small percentage of failure rate and that's why your search results yielded nothing.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

I believe each color is separate and can be replaced individually. My tech showed me "around" when he replaced the optical block and if I remember he had swapped one of them previously as one of the colors had failed on a set. He stated they weren't hard to swap but the set isn't designed for the owner to do such.

I have read that the estimated usable life cycle to be as low as 20,000 hours so based on your viewing habits who knows some owners may need to have theirs replaced outside of general failures. Totally a guess but at today's cost I'm guessing roughly $500 - $600 to replace all three including labor.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I have read that the estimated usable life cycle to be as low as 20,000 hours so based on your viewing habits who knows some owners may need to have theirs replaced outside of general failures. Totally a guess but at today's cost I'm guessing roughly $500 - $600 to replace all three including labor.

20K hours was for the previous gen LED Phlatlights. The ones in the 61/67A750 are 60K hours by Samsung (and actually 100K according to Luminous specs, the manuf of them).
Old 04-01-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
As cheap as LED DLP for what you get is, just get an extended warranty and don't worry about it.

Matt
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:

My concern is how expensive an LED bulb will be when not under warranty.

Thanks for looking,
Sean

I also have this concern, so I contacted Luminous (company that manufacturers the LED 'chipset' for the 750 series Samsungs). Luminous assured me that the LEDs used in the 750 LED DLP Samsung's were currently implemented in multiple OEM products; meaning they won't stop production of these LEDs just because Samsung pulls the plug on the LED DLP line.

The LED DLPs are not a bulb, they are small (the R/G/B set of three would fit in your hand) they cost about $150/each. Replacing the LEDs is explained in the service manual... It doesn't look difficult, but it's not something a non-tech should probably do. It's unlike changing the bulb in the bulb based DLP set in that regard.

The cost is not astronomical and within reason of repair vs buy new scenario, but significantly more than a bulb... then again the LEDs are suppose to last 4x longer than a bulb. Well, that's what they advertised...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

The techs ordered a new LED board and a main board. They replaced just the LED board and still had problems. They then installed the new main board with an LED module installed. (I didn't get to see it as I was at work)

The TV is up and running again.

I do wonder why this happened. Just a bad board or outside issues?

Thanks again for the support,
Sean
Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The techs ordered a new LED board and a main board. They replaced just the LED board and still had problems. They then installed the new main board with an LED module installed. (I didn't get to see it as I was at work)

The TV is up and running again.

I do wonder why this happened. Just a bad board or outside issues?

Thanks again for the support,
Sean

Main boards on these seem to be the most replaced/failed component from my own experience and from what I've been reading.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Steve,
That is what the tech said. I wonder why?

Hopefully parts will be available in the future. I am fairly handy and like the size of the screen. I don't want to change for a while if possible.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

I have seen two or three posted about losing one of the colors. Others have been unable to get a repair and have been offered buy outs by Samsung. Let us know how yours is resolved, but I think going forward you won't be able to get the lamps, I don't think you will be able to now. Post back and let us know.

The manufacturer of the LEDs is still making them, so they should still be available. I also believe the manufacturer (luminus) guarantees them for 2 years.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

That's good to hear that they can fix these tvs and that yours is up and running again.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

"I haven't seen any threads so far with this issue. Has anyone experienced this? My concern is how expensive an LED bulb will be when not under warranty."

I've owned this model set since November 2008 and so far no problems. Excellent picture with just basic calibration, will calibrate more later this year.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

"I haven't seen any threads so far with this issue. Has anyone experienced this? My concern is how expensive an LED bulb will be when not under warranty."

The LEDs are rated for 60,000 hours. That is equivalent to watching the TV for 8 hours a day for over 20 years. You will probably buy another TV way before 20 years.

If the LEDs were to fail prematurely, it would most likely be during the warranty period. I wouldn't be concerned about the cost to replace them.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 PM

I am the proud owner of the Samsung HLT-5687. I seem to the red LED (phlat) light burn out issue. The tv is no longer under warranty I have done a bit of research and come to the conclusion that it is this LED part (#BP07-00017A). I have had the optical unit out of the tv and the chip is super easy to get out. I noticed that there was a lot of dust in the massiive cooling fins this allmost certainly caused the chip to over heat and fail. prevous in this tread there was talk of ordering of a LED main board, but this was not the issue? This seems to be a common issue but I can't seem to find any posts of people correcting the problem. I guess if you are reading this post it is a little late, but if you own this line of TV you proubly should pull out the optical unit; take off the black cover and vacuum the dust out the cooling fins attched to the green blue and red chips.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:

I bought my TV at The end of January 2009. We were watching it on Sunday and the picture went out. I reset the TV and when it cam on the red portion of the color was gone.

I called Samsung and they are repairing it under warranty. My concern is that the technician brought out a new main board. From looking in the service menu he determined that it was the LED.

I asked if that was normal and was told that yes, it is a common problem with these sets.

I haven't seen any threads so far with this issue. Has anyone experienced this? My concern is how expensive an LED bulb will be when not under warranty.

Thanks for looking,
Sean

I had the exact same thing happen to me about 3 weeks ago. Like the OP, I purchased my set in January of 09. And, like Sean, I too was watching my set (on a Sunday morning no less) and the screen went dark. I knew this couldn't be good. I turned the set up, waited a couple of minutes, and turned it back on. Sure enough the red was missing from the picture. I tried the usual, reset to factory defaults etc, but I knew something had died. So, I contacted Samsung support through their online system. Luckily there was a service center just 8 miles away. The next day I decided to call the service center and see if they had received the service request. The tech I spoke with was very nice, but said that they hadn't receive it and that it would probably be later that afternoon. He went ahead and asked me what the issue was and I explained it to him. Right away he said the red led module had died, and that soon as he received the service request he would order the replacement part. I thanked him for being proactive, and he said that I could call him toward the end of the week and check on the status. On Thursday I called, and he told me that he had just gotten authorization from Samsung to order the replacement part. He said that it's just the way their warranty process works. Another week goes by and he finally gets the part on Wednesday, and said he would come out the next day and replace the module. He came out that Thursday afternoon, and powered the set on just to make sure it was exactly as I had explained. As soon as the screen lit up, he powered it off and confirmed that it was indeed the problem. I asked him if this was something that was a wide spread issue, and he told me that since this model had been released, that he had received only two other requests, and these turned out to be loose led modules that caused a buzzing sound. He said that these have been the most reliable led/dlp based displays to date. He services other brands, Sony, Mitsubishi, etc and his own opinion is that the Sammys are just better sets. I watched him replace the unit and it was fairly straight forward. If you can build your own PC, then you would be comfortable replacing this. The module(s) are about 2"x2". You unplug the bad one and replace it with the new one. You have to slide out the mirror assembly, and take off a large heat sink, and that's about it. I noticed that there was a lot of dust in there, so while he replaced the module I cleaned all dust out of the heat sinks, fans, and any place I saw dust. I did notice that there are 3 fans. One that blows on the main board, one on the heat sink for the light assembly and one exhaust fan on the back. He put everything back together and sure enough I had my red back. To be honest, after watching it a couple of minutes I noticed that it was actually too red. It now had a red push the made the whites have a pinkish tint. I asked the tech about it and he kinda shrugged it off and asked if I had changed anything. I told him that I had only set it back to the original factory defaults. He said that was probably it and left. I new he was on a tight schedule and had squeezed me in at the last minute so I just let it go for the time being. I watched the set that night, and the more I watched it the more I realized it just wasn't right. I called the tech back and explained this to him. He said that when he got back to the shop he would call me and walk me through a few service menu settings. I told him I appreciated it and thanked him. Instead of waiting on him to call, I got brave and used the guide here for accessing the service menu and adjusted it using the recommended settings. Now I'm proud to say that my Sammy has never looked better. Sorry for such a long post, but I just wanted to share my experience with this issue. I hope it may be of some help to anyone else who experiences this issue.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to Hear..

Quote:

He said that these have been the most reliable led/dlp based displays to date. He services other brands, Sony, Mitsubishi, etc and his own opinion is that the Sammys are just better sets.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 PM

My TV just did the same exact thing, went black, came back with no red. Also purchased in Jan. 09. What kind of costs should I expect to repair this? as I am sure it is long out of warranty.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 PM

The blue LED in my HL67A750 just went out on me this last weekend. Purchased set in Jun 08. Tech said it's about a $350 part (well, part and service), but will get back to me on specifics. Tech made sure the power was ok by using the blue's feed on red and it powered up. Some scorch marks on the blue LED too. Each light is it's own large unit with a nice honking heat sink on it.

Hopefully the replacement part comes in quickly, isn't more expensive then the estimated price else I'd just likely get a new set that I know would last a lot longer.

Until this happened I didn't have a single issue with this set in 2 years of pretty continual use.

It went out while the credits for a game on my xbox 360 were playing. I was sort of half paying attention while reading something online and I noticed it dimmed some. I figured it was the screen saver dim. When I touched the controller to wake it back up, it brightened for a second, flickered some, then went dark. I power cycled it and after that, the blue channel was clearly gone.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:27 PM

I have a similar issue. about 20% of the time when I go to turn my TV on I either get just the Red LED turned on, just the Green LED turned on, or just the Blue LED turned on. or no LED's at all for just a black screen. I just turn off the TV and turn it back on and its usually okay. sometimes I have to turn it off and on twice. I have the Hl61a750. What do you guys think the problem is?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:31 PM

Just over 1 month later and I finally have my TV fixed. According to the repairman, getting parts from Korea is always like this: sometimes it'll come quickly, sometimes it takes weeks. New blue LED in place and the TV is back and running great.

johnabis: that sounds more like a problem with the power system then the LEDs themselves if you ask me. Probably worth having it checked out by someone.