TigerDirect Reputation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone speak to the reputation of TigerDirect for televisions. They are not listed as a samsung authorized dealer but if I buy it on Amazon's website (fulfilled by Tigerdirect) would I be covered? (Amazon is an authorized dealer). Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Over the last 12 years or so I have bought a lot of computer parts from Tiger. Hard drives, memory and such. I have personally never had a problem with them, but like any business, some people have been burnt by them.

By other posts I have read concerning Amazon, if the TV comes from Tiger, you are bound by Tiger's policies and Amazon will NOT do anything for you if there's a problem. I suppose this is stated on their site somewhere?
post #3 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
They must sell a lot of DLP TVs, as they are always having deals on DLP TVs. But interestingly enough, there is little to no specifics about shipping or returns on large items. That is very strange.

Since they now have the HL67A750 at a great price, I'm interested in purchasing but will not put up with geometry issues worse than my personal threshold. So I have an e-mail into them for more details. If anybody has any return experience with them on large items I would be interested to hear it.

I'm doubting that being an authorized Samsung dealer is going to change much as far as Samsung is concerned. I know it doesn't matter for the extended warranty I would buy from a 3rd party.

Matt
post #4 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
im also looking at the 67 through tigerdirect via amazon. let us know what they respond
post #5 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

im also looking at the 67 through tigerdirect via amazon. let us know what they respond

Ok, after two e-mails I never got a definite answer to how they determine if there is any charge for additional shipping if I go through a couple of TVs. They do say they will pick up the TV on a return/exchange.

Matt
post #6 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

The main negative I've seen with TD is they often bundle up an obsolete PC package or other items that are past date. But the products usually work fine. As long as you know what you're getting they seem to be fine otherwise as far as honoring their guarantees, etc.

I suppose technically a Samsung DLP now is obsolete technology (in keeping with many of TD's products) but we know it's stellar if you get a good one. It should be NIB, anyway, I don't think they send open box stuff unless it's written into the initial description.

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #7 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM

Liked: 13
Tiger Direct screwed me out of a rebate on a Mobo.

$30 Rebate and they have lost me forever.

I've usually found items for about the same price somewhere else.

-Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

Well, as you probably know, the Sammy DLPs are getting hard to find on top of them having one of the best prices seen on this model. They are also the only vendor selling the Nvidia 3D Vision packages right now. So we don't have much choice.

Matt
post #9 of 19 Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM

Liked: 13
Which 3D Bundle?

I don't even see the HL67A750 at Tiger.

The one at Amazon is through 6th Ave.

Good luck with your purchase. When I purchased my Samsung HLP-5685 I decided to pay about $100-$200 more to get the TV from a local store. The online stores were flakey on the shipping and delivery. I lived in a place with a bunch of steps at the time and I didn't have anyone to help me move the TV.

I love my DLP, it is a little over 4 years old and going strong.

-Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Only bad experience I've had is when I called them up to buy Ram. The guy on the phone tried to hard sell me everything you could think of to go with it. Then when I said no he was a jerk. I left a bad review for them on reseller ratings site and quickly got a call from Tiger Direct as soon as it was posted. They apologized and offered me free shipping on my order. Other then that I love shopping there, the prices are usually fantastic.

With the Sammy, make sure you can swap it if the geometry isn't excellent.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-02-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The 3D Vision products are only currently sold through NVidia and TigerDirect. You can buy just the glasses and the devices to hook up to 3D Ready DLP, or you can get the glasses with an LCD Monitor.

Amazon stuff moves around a lot. You have to look on the right hand side to see all your options for different vendors. I don't understand what the point is to going through Amazon anyway. Just go to the vendor directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

Which 3D Bundle?

I don't even see the HL67A750 at Tiger.

The one at Amazon is through 6th Ave.

Matt
post #12 of 19 Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

I've never had a problem with tiger direct. I've bought a few hard drives and other misc. stuff from them. [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2464/*************************[/IMG]
post #13 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1LSS View Post

I've never had a problem with tiger direct. I've bought a few hard drives and other misc. stuff from them. [img]https://********************/smile4.gif[/img][img]https://********************/smile.gif[/img]

I second this. I frequently buy stuff from both TigerDirect and Amazon and never had a problem with either. In fact TigerDirect paid me a rebate that the manufacturer refused to honor.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM

I think I would have liked Tiger Direct if they would have replaced the defective computer I got from them. Instead, they gave me the runaround for weeks--until the 30-day return policy ended. I guess they win.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcounter View Post

I think I would have liked Tiger Direct if they would have replaced the defective computer I got from them. Instead, they gave me the runaround for weeks--until the 30-day return policy ended. I guess they win.

Call your state Attorney General's fraud department, that'll make TD pay attention.

Tiger Direct has always been up and down as far as customer service goes. They'll help one person, then tell the next one to hit the road. I personally have never used them and refused to after the horror stories I read about them 15 years or so ago. I don't need the aggravation.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-17-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I've never had an issue with them but never ordered too much from them. If possible I might buy from their actual store, but otherwise I stick to Newegg because they rock. Newegg usually has the same or better prices on things anyway.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I've never had an issue with them but never ordered too much from them. If possible I might buy from their actual store, but otherwise I stick to Newegg because they rock. Newegg usually has the same or better prices on things anyway.

For years I used to get an email from one of those guys who wrote about companies that screwed people over on software or hardware and TD was a constant source of his articles. That was enough for me. As soon as I saw, "Well, guess what they did this week?" I knew who he was talking about. wink.gif
post #18 of 19 Old 08-18-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcounter View Post

As long as your first contact with them was inside the 30 days, the runaround means nothing. They still have to honor the return policy.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #19 of 19 Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

I had a similar experience with them about 4 years ago or so.

They were running a special where if you sign up for direct tv as a new customer through the tiger direct web site, tiger direct would give you a rebate of $250.00 off the purchase of any TV on their site that is at least 40" big.

So I clicked on the link at Tiger Direct to sign up for Direct TV. That took me to Direct TV's site. Signed up for DT. Put in that I was signing up for the Tiger Direct deal. I then ordered a TV that met their requirements. Thing is though, the TV I bought was listed for $600.00. Which was unheard of back then for a 40" TV. So that TV wound up only costing me about $350. THere must have been about 100 different sets that were at least 40" big. The next cheapest 40" TV Tiger Direct had was for like $800 or so.

So anyways, when I sent in all the paperwork needed to get my $250 back, Tiger Direct wouldn't honor it because they alleged I hadn't signed up for Direct TV via Tiger Direct TV's site, which was complete BS. I think what really happened is they were taking such a big loss on the TV I bought so they denied me. I contacted the BBB about it and just constantly harassed Tiger Direct and the BBB over it. It took me a few weeks of doing this, but Tiger Direct finally came through for me and sent me my $250.00. biggrin.gif

Other than that, I've never had any issues with Tiger Direct over the years, and would definitely buy from them again.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page