Mitsubishi WD-73835 light "bleeding" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got this set yesterday. Great picture so far, but one thing that's bothering me is that light seems to "bleed" into the black bars on 2:35, etc. films. For example, in The Dark Knight at the beginning where the WB logo comes on screen, the white "spotlights" don't stop at the black bars, but are visible through the bars themselves. Pretty much anything that is bright that is right up against the black bars does this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just to follow up a bit. I was able to find some information about a "blooming" issue with Mitsu DLP's, but those issues seem quite a bit more extreme than what I'm seeing. The worst example I saw was a black screen with white credits on it, but the light basically made a halo around the whole column of text. I don't know if it's a related issue since I don't seem to have any issue with white objects "bleeding" into the black bars in the picture itself, only the black bars. I'm not taking it as a good sign that no one has replied
post #3 of 12 Old 04-16-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
How extreme is your problem? Is it something you could take a picture of, or is it more subtle? Have you had rptv before? Because they all have some degree of background light leakage. Methods of resolving it may not be a repair by technician, but rather a modification like fabricate a lens hood, blacking out the light box with duvatene, etc. by you or a calibrator.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is my third DLP and I've never had any problem like this before. It's like somebody has a flashlight behind the black bars and is shining it through. It moves, depending on how bright the picture is below the bar. For instance, if a guy is standing in the picture with dark hair and he's standing in front of a white background, the bar will be almost gray (halfway up the bar), then be black above the guy's head, then go back to gray. But it's not a solid gray, it's uneven. I'll try and snap a pic.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are a couple of photos. It was hard to actually capture it, but you can see it.

You may have to tilt your monitor to see it, but you can see how in the black bars on either side of the tower the bars are gray, and black above the darker tower. Like I said before, it moves constantly depending on what's happening in the picture. It's VERY distracting and VERY annoying. I have a service tech coming out next week to check it out. I just got it two days ago, but it's the only one left anywhere near me, so I don't have many options. I'm hoping it's something "simple" like a light engine. I know that's a major part, but it's simple in terms of they order a new one and come out and install it.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
^^ Ya, I can see it. That sure doesn't seem normal. LE may indeed fix that. Good luck to you.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

^^ Ya, I can see it. That sure doesn't seem normal. LE may indeed fix that. Good luck to you.

Thanks! They're coming out Wednesday, I'll have fingers crossed. I keep trying to tell myself I can ignore it, but that'll never happen.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sorry to probably bust your bubble but this issue has been present on the last 2 generations of mits dlp. I have the 73835 that replaced a faulty 73833 and both exhibit the same issue you have with light bleeding. Its also been well documented in the owners threads. It is somewhat distracting but you get used to it.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Sorry to probably bust your bubble but this issue has been present on the last 2 generations of mits dlp. I have the 73835 that replaced a faulty 73833 and both exhibit the same issue you have with light bleeding. Its also been well documented in the owners threads. It is somewhat distracting but you get used to it.

Well that sucks pretty bad. That's pretty surprising that their top of the line model exhibits what I would consider a simple problem to fix, and my non TOTL Toshiba and Samsung definitely did not. I assume there is no fix available? I've been looking at displays of this set for months and did not notice this on any if them, even when I had the settings adjusted properly on the demo. I'm sure I would have, it was the first thing I noticed when I popped in my first movie.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just to follow up . . . I had a Geek Squad tech come out () and, upon showing him my problem, was given a brief description of how exactly DLP works and its drawbacks . . . which I already know. He failed to comprehend that this is my third DLP, and neither of the previous models exhibited any problems even nearly similar to this one. I popped in my Dark Knight disc, since the issue is very evident during the WB logo sequence, to show him exactly what I was talking about, and was then told that "I don't know why they didn't make the Blu-ray spec to be all 16:9." At this point, it was pretty obvious what I was dealing with. The guy went outside and called Mitsubishi (allegedly) and was "told" that this was "within the manufacturer's specifications." Since he came in and basically professed what an "expert" he was on DLP technology, I have my doubts that he even talked to someone at Mitsubishi, but that's just a feeling. Anyway, here's another picture I took that demonstrates the issue much better than the previous two. My next step is calling Mitsubishi tomorrow and getting an independent service agent to come out and check it out.

No, that "haze" above the white block is not because of the camera. That's what it looks like.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 AM

I glad I caught this thread. I was looking to buy on of these units, but this scares me a bit.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Is this an issue with every Mits DLP or only some?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page