Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy jbug.

OK guys, a quick question... please excuse me if it sounds stupid.

In my brief time with the TV after setting up, I could not find a button for picture-size or aspect ratio.

Am I just overlooking it somewhere? Or is that not a regular function of big screen DLPs?

One day at a time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hit "more" and then "Format" .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #303 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The More button will also let you get at Video options (I believe it is '8' after the More button) and flip them on/off (or in some cases Demo, like Dark Detailer) on the fly, which can be handy for testing for yourself whether you like a given image processing option.
post #304 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys.

A couple more hours at work here, and then I'm off for home to spend the evening with my new TV.

One day at a time...
post #305 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM

I just received my 73737 73" a few days ago. I've played with the settings a little, but I'm hoping someone can help with a problem I'm having.

My HD source is PS3. When I run a PS3 game, everything looks spot on as I'd expect from PS3 quality. However, I've run a few Blu Ray discs and I'm noticing what I would best describe as moving pixelation on solid colors (such as in shadows or on clothing). It looks like a minor version of the effect you get when you run a lower resolution video at full screen on your computer (not grain, blockier). PS3 is set to 1080p, no issues there. HDMI cable is a good one from our other TV and has always been paired with the PS3 on that TV. I have the TV about 10ft away, I'm fairly certain the distance to the TV is not the issue. I tried Taken, Iron Man and Hart's War. All seem to exhibit the same behavior but I definitely noticed it more in Taken. In Iron Man, I did not notice the effect as much but I don't recall it looking as solid as it did on the other DLP in our house. Saw it at stock settings and with a few modified settings (Natural, Noise High etc...). I need to move the PS3 back down to the 61" Samsung DLP to see if I just never noticed before, but I really think something isn't right.

It's going through a Pioneer VSX-819, brand new. I believe the effect was the same whether I had the HDMI Thru on or off (on while I wait for my speakers to get here). I will try running the hdmi straight to the TV this evening.

Any advice?
post #306 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the PS3 going directly into the TV HDMI, or through a home theater receiver first? Other than that, nothing is coming to mind. I use a Sony BDP-S300 for Blu-ray, and it is gorgeous on my 60737. You might try turning off DeepField Imager too, if you haven't.
post #307 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post

Is the PS3 going directly into the TV HDMI, or through a home theater receiver first? Other than that, nothing is coming to mind. I use a Sony BDP-S300 for Blu-ray, and it is gorgeous on my 60737. You might try turning off Dark Detailer too, if you haven't.

Sorry, forgot to clarify that. It's going through a Pioneer VSX-819, brand new. I believe the effect was the same whether I had the HDMI Thru on or off (on while I wait for my speakers to get here). I will try running the hdmi straight to the TV this evening.
post #308 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post

Is the PS3 going directly into the TV HDMI, or through a home theater receiver first? Other than that, nothing is coming to mind. I use a Sony BDP-S300 for Blu-ray, and it is gorgeous on my 60737. You might try turning off Dark Detailer too, if you haven't.

Hey geo - the xx737's don't have Dark Detailer. Are you talking about Deep Field Imager?

Also - try turning 120 hz Off. The manual says that it may cause pixelation/artifacts with non fast-motion video.
post #309 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post

...moving pixelation...

That description sounds like what I was seeing on my cable-TV broadcasts, but I'm assuming it's my new service, box, or setting... but I'm going to be hooking up my PS3 tonight, watching Blu-ray movies and playing games, so I will report back later. I'm also going to double check all my settings on the new cable box, etc.

Hopefully both of us are experiencing something other than the TVs themselves.

Fingers crossed.

One day at a time...
post #310 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwells View Post

Hey geo - the xx737's don't have Dark Detailer. Are you talking about Deep Field Imager?

Also - try turning 120 hz Off. The manual says that it may cause pixelation/artifacts with non fast-motion video.

Deep Field Imager is off, I liked it better off but it had no affect on the effect.

120hz was off from the factory when I saw the option in the menu. I'll double check though.
post #311 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares View Post

That description sounds like what I was seeing on my cable-TV broadcasts, but I'm assuming it's my new service, box, or setting... but I'm going to be hooking up my PS3 tonight, watching Blu-ray movies and playing games, so I will report back later. I'm also going to double check all my settings on the new cable box, etc.

Hopefully both of us are experiencing something other than the TVs themselves.

Fingers crossed.

Yes, it is like a very minor, much less apparent version of the SD cable channel look on a HD tv.
post #312 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwells View Post

D'oh! Of course.
post #313 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 06:36 PM

I just got off the phone with the delivery guys and my 73837 will be here tomorrow morning. Is there anything that I need to do right out of the box? I have Comcast with a Motorola HD box which includes DVR. I haven't bought an HDMI cable because the Comcast guy gave me a 5-colored cable and told me to use that. I have read that before any calibration that the tv should be watched for a couple of hundred hours so I guess I'll just start watching.
post #314 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have one of the newer Moto Comcast boxes, you'll have an HDMI output on the back and a digitial audio coax you could use rather than what sounds like component cable and stereo output.

And try to find out what that Moto box is outputting and set it as high as it will go (1080i, most likely).
post #315 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 PM

My box is a Motorola DCT6412 III and yes it does have an HDMI adapter on the back. I will do some research and see what I can find out. I am a new to all of this, so thanks for the patience and the help.
post #316 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto09 View Post

My box is a Motorola DCT6412 III and yes it does have an HDMI adapter on the back. I will do some research and see what I can find out. I am a new to all of this, so thanks for the patience and the help.

You will get the best bang if you use an HDMI cable. You can get a 4t high speed 1.3a HMDI cable from monoprice for under 5 bucks.
post #317 of 11265 Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The 65" and 73" version of 837 are on Mitsu's website now. The 82" version isn't tho, yet.
post #318 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Update: It's not my TV! The jumping/dancing pixels only appear when watching cable-tv channels with the new AT&T service. The issue does not appear when viewing Blu-rays, video games, or over-the-air broadcasts. I also checked all the inputs and cables. Whew! I can relax now. (though I might switch back to my old cable-tv provider)

Blu-ray movies looked great. Broadcast HD looked great. Video games looked great, and there is no significant lag to report... I played all types of games; first-person-shooters, racing, hockey and various other action/adventure titles.... and things were just as quick and smooth as any other tv I've owned, plasma or lcd, so that's great too! I just wish I didn't have to go to bed, or go to work tomorrow. lol

I haven't done much tweaking yet, but following the advice in the thread I switched to Natural/Low, and this seems to provide a good starting point for viewing movies and tv. And having a screen this size really makes me feel like I'm viewing my own private little theater. It doesn't feel like watching a regular tv.

For games I prefer a bit more punch, so I'm experimenting with various settings... trying to find the best starting point for those.

I will post again with some pics once I get things adjusted a little better.

Thank you to everyone who answered questions and helped me during my decision to purchase. You guys are great.

The big-screen fun has begun.

One day at a time...
post #319 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 AM

That is great news, I told you not to fret about the jumping colors while watching cable, for some reason it has to to with how the broadcast is being sent and the native resolution has something to do with it as well. Now all you need is some surround sound to go with your new tv.... im in the process as we speak of peicing a 5.1 together right now for my 60"

post #320 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM

I switched out HDMI cables from the PS3 last night with one from Monoprice. I went down to our 61" Samsung DLP and looked at Taken on blu-ray first and then moved the PS3 up to the Mitsu. Turns out, my expectations may have been just too high. Taken appears to have less picture quality inherently than The Dark Knight, for example. Dark Knight looked pretty good, although I did notice slight grain depending on the scene. I think the freebie HDMI cable I had before, combined with Taken and a much larger TV had me percieving a problem. So, that is resolved.

I did hook up my home theather PC to the TV last night. My video card is a ATI 4830 with HDMI out (audio through HDMI). Firstly, no matter how I input the PC HDMI to the TV (direct to TV or through the receiver) the TV knows it's a PC and reduces the image on screen to slightly less than full (there is black space around the desktop). Also, in this mode I notice geometry distortion, which I think may be the cause of a fuzzy looking desktop icons/menus (it's set to 1920x1080). I played with some TV picture settings and made a slight improvement, but when I drag a window down to the bottom middle part of the screen the sharpness noticably improves. I'm going to assume the geometry distortion towards the outer edges is causing non "1to1" pixel mapping and is why the text and edges of icons and menus locarted there appear fuzzy? What's funny is that the desktop HD background that I downloaded is perfectly sharp and Crysis seemed fully sharp as well.

Anyone know if it's possible to get the desktop to fill to the corners of the TV? It's pretty lame looking. Like a CRT and I think is causing geometry issues that otherwise wouldn't exist.
post #321 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 AM

Hello everyone. I am a new member to the forum...
After several months of research I made the plunge yesterday and bought a Mits wd 65737 from Fry's here in Las Vegas. Being delivered today. Can't wait to watch the Laker game on it tonight. Doc Hale over there was very helpful.
post #322 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Forgot to mention I also get a Callaway Big Bertha Diablo driver with the tv and they are also offering no payments and no interest until Sept. 2010. If you are not a golfer you can get a $100.00 gift card instead. Who could pass this up?
post #323 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

GOOD DEAL

Conns only carries 2 models, the 65- and 73-inch 737, but they have both on sale right now, and their price is among the cheapest I've seen. This is a reputable online merchant and I've had positive experiences with them. They also have several retail stores and a warehouse in my city.

We can't post prices in these threads, but I think I'm allowed to post the links.

http://www.conns.com/tv-and-video/te...er-dlp-tv.html (65)

http://www.conns.com/tv-and-video/te...heater-tv.html (73)

The only real con with Conns (lol) is a short 10-day return policy on TVs.

It's definitely not the place to purchase if you plan on watching the TV for a month before decided whether to keep it.

One day at a time...
post #324 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

There's currently a thread at fatwallet for a good deal on the 73737.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #325 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, I do not see a "Game" picture mode, despite what the owners manual says.

All I see is: Natural / Bright / Brilliant.

Is it located somewhere else in the menu? Is this possibly a misprint?

One day at a time...
post #326 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares View Post

Hey guys, I do not see a "Game" picture mode, despite what the owners manual says.

All I see is: Natural / Bright / Brilliant.

Is it located somewhere else in the menu? Is this possibly a misprint?

Were you on a game input when you looked for it? These things are stored per input. So it would have to know that input is a game one, I think. . .
post #327 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

There's currently a thread at fatwallet for a good deal on the 73737.

Just saw the 73737 at my local Fry's. It was next to a 73835 from last year. I could not tell much difference as I had a bit of time to play with both. The feed was identical on both a high def loop. (the source of which I never discovered)

Tried several setups making each identical. No matter what I did they were about the same. The remote on last years much better but the new set had advanced setup availability. Since last years didn't have these I couldn't compare that feature to see if the new sets were better.

Finally, these sets were next to each other and I could swear that the new 737 was "deeper" than last years even though today's check of the Mitsu's website reveals identical depth for both.
post #328 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Hey GEO.

Yes sir, you are correct... and look what I just found in the owners manual before returning to the thread.

Quote:

Optimizes picture and video processing for gaming consoles. Available only when the name of the input is Game or PC.

Sure enough, once you name the input "Game" or "PC", the picture mode will appear as a choice in the menu.

One day at a time...
post #329 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Finally, these sets were next to each other and I could swear that the new 737 was "deeper" than last years even though today's check of the Mitsu's website reveals identical depth for both.

Interesting. I could swear when the new models were first announced, the spec sheet showed them to be a couple inches deeper than last years model. Now, on the main page for the 73737 it shows 17.5" deep (same as the 73736), and if you open the individual spec sheet PDF, it shows 17.9". I thought before the new 73" was around 19" deep, or maybe even a little more.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #330 of 11265 Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post

Sorry, forgot to clarify that. It's going through a Pioneer VSX-819, brand new. I believe the effect was the same whether I had the HDMI Thru on or off (on while I wait for my speakers to get here). I will try running the hdmi straight to the TV this evening.

From what I understand, the PS3 always outputs RGB for games, but with mine if it's set to auto, it displays YCbCr for video. Try making it go specifically with RGB for video too and see if that fixes the issue. If so, it might be something with the way the TV is interfacing with the PS3. Also, check to see if 24p is set to Automatic. That will give you 24p for BD movies. Make sure that Superwhite is On and RGB is Limited. You can also play with those to see if they have any affect as well.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page