2Likes

post #3391 of 11280 Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post

There is a Bright mode for the bulb (in the Initial menu) that doesn't seem to get used in TV stores (it isn't the shipping default). I've been wondering if it would help the 82"'ers disproportionately to have that turned on. Logically it seems like it ought to.

The bulb definitely does run brighter/hotter when you use that setting --just not sure how much that might add fan noise for long viewing sessions and how much it would reduce the life of the bulbs.

You are right neither of the 837 sets bulbs were set to their brightest settings. The Magnolia guy wasn't thrilled about me switching it on their 92 incher but I have to admit that it did help. (especially developing whiter whites and I saw no difference in the blacks when doing so) Still not up to the quality of the 73837 that was next to it which (in my opinion) was better (brighter better whites) with the non-torch mode bulb setting. Actually got the guy to let me switch the bulb setting on the 73 incher as well. For those of you who like a set that has a lot of "pop" this IS the setting for you. Surprisingly, once again I saw no problem with the blacks even in this mode and it really seemed to help really dark scenes as well. I assume that Mits does not make this the default mode because they want to get a low power consumption rating for their tv's. I have never read how much this lessens the bulb life but definately can see some benefit in having it (for darker scenes) even in the smaller sets. I think that with bulbs going for less than $100.00 it is something to think about.

Do owners run this mode? If so, what are the benefits after prolonged useage? Does anyone know the effect on bulb life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 11280 Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say it's not all that bad - certainly fixable by yourself.
post #3393 of 11280 Old 11-01-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post

That image is with the auto correction off btw.

If I'm not mistaken, you'll lose that 1-1 mapping as soon as he uses the manual correction options to tweak that geometry. This is why a lot of guys won't touch geometry unless it is pretty bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3394 of 11280 Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yeah but I was hoping to fix this by opening the unit and adjusting the mirror or whatever can be adjust..nothing digitally done.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #3395 of 11280 Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I guess we'll see then what he says. I think it is pretty indicative of what Mits intends to happen with small geometry corrections that there is a geometry correction option in the service menu (not the user menu) in the first place. But the next time I'm surprised won't be the first time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3396 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 AM

For those of you having problems getting your Harmony remotes working properly, perhaps this will help. I recently upgraded from a Mits 65734 to a 82837, and have found that the programming I already had in my Harmony for my older set seems to work fine with the new set. I haven't went through every little command yet, but all the normal stuff seemed to map over just fine. Just a thought, YMMV....

Mike

Follow Me On Twitter:

Tech News, Great Buys, Reviews & More....
post #3397 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

My remote for the Dish DVR 622 would tun my Sony on and off. I can't seem to get it to tun the new Mits on and off. does anyone here use that combination and have it working?

gthomas
post #3398 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Check this out! Had my 65837 for 30 days now got about 250 hours on bulb.

All is fine except when I hook up HDMI to my PS3. It's strange because it's like I can only use either HDMI or Component but I can't have both hooked up to the tv because the component inputs will get a horizontal ghost bar that rises from bottom to top.

It's confusing. Like I hooked the compnent to my DVR then to the TV and hooked HDMI to the PS3. Even with the PS3 off, the component input will get the ghost bar no matter what input the component or HDMI are used.

So if I disconnect the HDMI all is fine. If I have both connected no matter which inputs because I tried them all, the HDMI causes interference or something cause I can't have both plugged in at the same time. Like HDMI 1-4 all cause the ghost line on my component inputs 1-3. Is this normal? Is this set an either or type deal where I should only use HDMI or Component but can't use both?

What's with this? Only thing I can think of is that it's the HDMI cable but I doubt it. I just bought it yesterday. It was the 9 foot cheaper Wallmart one not the 40 dollar 6 foot sony brand.

The tv won't let me go into CEC for HDMI and do anything either.

Anybody got a clue to why I can't use HDMI and Component plugged in at the same time? I mean it's strangely odd that I can only use one or the other but can't have HDMI plugged in if I want to watch anything using component video. Come on is there a fix?

The HDMI looks fine alone and component looks fine alone only if the HDMI isn't plugged in to anything at the same time. It's having both hooked up at the same time that causes the horizontal white ghost bar.
post #3399 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrecool View Post

Check this out! Had my 65837 for 30 days now got about 250 hours on bulb.

All is fine except when I hook up HDMI to my PS3. It's strange because it's like I can only use either HDMI or Component but I can't have both hooked up to the tv because the component inputs will get a horizontal ghost bar that rises from bottom to top.

It's confusing. Like I hooked the compnent to my DVR then to the TV and hooked HDMI to the PS3. Even with the PS3 off, the component input will get the ghost bar no matter what input the component or HDMI are used.

So if I disconnect the HDMI all is fine. If I have both connected no matter which inputs because I tried them all, the HDMI causes interference or something cause I can't have both plugged in at the same time. Like HDMI 1-4 all cause the ghost line on my component inputs 1-3. Is this normal? Is this set an either or type deal where I should only use HDMI or Component but can't use both?

What's with this? Only thing I can think of is that it's the HDMI cable but I doubt it. I just bought it yesterday. It was the 9 foot cheaper Wallmart one not the 40 dollar 6 foot sony brand.

The tv won't let me go into CEC for HDMI and do anything either.

Anybody got a clue to why I can't use HDMI and Component plugged in at the same time? I mean it's strangely odd that I can only use one or the other but can't have HDMI plugged in if I want to watch anything using component video. Come on is there a fix?

The HDMI looks fine alone and component looks fine alone only if the HDMI isn't plugged in to anything at the same time. It's having both hooked up at the same time that causes the horizontal white ghost bar.

My Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI is connected to my 65837 both HDMI for DVD upconverting and component for playing DVD-Audio and SACD playback. I have to use the component hookup for the lossless audio playback of DVD-Audio for copyright protection reasons. If I play DVD-Audio with HDMI output turned on the Pioneer will only play the lossy Dolby Digital tracks. I also have Panasonic Bd80 plugged in HDMI for BD playback. I have never seen any interference playing any of these devices no matter what input I am using regardless of what is or not powered on.
post #3400 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I haven't see any interference on my 65837 either and I use component and HDMI (and composite).

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #3401 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:

How bad is my geometry problem based on this image guys?

I am trying to understand if I am asking for too much which I think I am not but just in case.
I mean really, it is not perfect on any side at all.

How does the Logitech 3D look on the TV? Wondering if it is worth the money to get right now.
post #3402 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:

How bad is my geometry problem based on this image guys?

I am trying to understand if I am asking for too much which I think I am not but just in case.
I mean really, it is not perfect on any side at all.

Mine is just a little worse than yours. I have a tech coming out today and I will let you know what he says. Of course, he was supposed to be here at 1100, and it's 1210 now.
post #3403 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 10:42 AM

I find it that adjusting those lines to be straight on that test pattern makes things worse in real life pictures.

I've adjusted my pattern to the point where it looks whacky, but the lines in real video sources look better than when I make the test pattern straight.
post #3404 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 AM

I called my B&M store and told them about my component & HDMI problem with the Ghost Bar. The guy said it's my HDMI and I should get the most expensive one. I got the Mad Catz one. I told him my stuff looks fine with the HDMI, my problem is when the HDMI is plugged in it causes floating ghost bars on my component inputs when I try to watch something with component.

It's hard for me to believe that the HDMI cable would work fine but cause the component to mess up. But maybe he's right, maybe I need a Monster cable or the Sony HDMI. Isn't this nuts?

Why is my CEC control option not lit up when I have my HDMI plugged in? Isn't that CEC thing for HDMI stuff? Maybe that's a sign that this Mad Catz HDMI has issues with this wd-65837? I don't know.

I hope this isn't a TV issue. I really like this one and I don't want to take it back.
post #3405 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Good News! I found out it's my PS3 doing the interference. I took my HDMI and hooked it up to the DVR and then I ran the PS2 with component and there was no horizontal ghost bar.

Then, I moved the HDMI back over to the PS3 with my Ps2 still running in component mode and bloop, the horizontal line is back.

Now that I narrowed it down, I hope that the PS3 does not do this with all the HDMI's.

I bought this Mad Catz one and it says specifically for PS3. Strange how My PS3 isn't even plugged in and it causes that horizontal ghost line bar. I'm gonna get a new HDMI and see if that solves the problem. Atleast now I know that I can have HDMI and Component plugged in at the same time. I just got to figure out a way to get the PS3 a HDMI that won't cause that horizontal static ghost line.
post #3406 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I'm gonna get a new HDMI and see if that solves the problem.

monoprice.com

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #3407 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa62 View Post

Mine is just a little worse than yours. I have a tech coming out today and I will let you know what he says. Of course, he was supposed to be here at 1100, and it's 1210 now.

Update: Showed up at 1245, and I had to show him how to get into the service menu. You can figure out how it went from there...he is going to call Mist. in the morning and see what they have to say and if there is a way to straighten things out without making huge adjustments using the manual geometry.
post #3408 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa62 View Post

Update: Showed up at 1245, and I had to show him how to get into the service menu. You can figure out how it went from there...he is going to call Mist. in the morning and see what they have to say and if there is a way to straighten things out without making huge adjustments using the manual geometry.

Aren't "qualified technicians" amazing?
post #3409 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM

Just a FYI for those with 737's and lamp counter at 0.

I emailed support and they said to call customer support at 800-332-2119. I called them and told the gentleman that i had a wd60737 and the lamp counter didn't work and they are going to send me ver 11.01 i currrently have 11.00. So apparently they recognize the lamp counter not working as a defect in the Firmware.
post #3410 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Liked: 12
Bought my first house and looking to purchase my first big screen tv over 42". I have had all plasmas thus far. Here is my dilemma, my living room is 20ft x 13ft and can really only be setup long ways which is also how we really like the room. My viewing distance is going to be about 18ft. Is the 73" going to be big enough or should i really be looking at the 83"? I have tons of space for a monster tv. Whats the price difference btw the two? For those of you that have had a very large say 70" tv and jumped to an 80" plus, was the jump worth it? I'm a huge football and hockey guy and watch a ton of games. I am def going rear projector over another plasma just because of the huge price advantage.
post #3411 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsj11 View Post

Just a FYI for those with 737's and lamp counter at 0.

I emailed support and they said to call customer support at 800-332-2119. I called them and told the gentleman that i had a wd60737 and the lamp counter didn't work and they are going to send me ver 11.01 i currrently have 11.00. So apparently they recognize the lamp counter not working as a defect in the Firmware.

Nice to hear! I've been meaning to do that myself. Now, when they send you a flash drive with the firmware on it, before you stick it in the TV, put it in a computer and copy off that firmware file to your local harddrive so you can share it with other 737 owners. Otherwise, when you put the flash drive in the TV it will probably erase the firmware file after doing the update. At least that has been Mitsu's usual approach.

Did he mention any other improvements with 11.01 vs 11.00?

post #3412 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfjimbo View Post

Bought my first house and looking to purchase my first big screen tv over 42". I have had all plasmas thus far. Here is my dilemma, my living room is 20ft x 13ft and can really only be setup long ways which is also how we really like the room. My viewing distance is going to be about 18ft. Is the 73" going to be big enough or should i really be looking at the 83"? I have tons of space for a monster tv. Whats the price difference btw the two? For those of you that have had a very large say 70" tv and jumped to an 80" plus, was the jump worth it? I'm a huge football and hockey guy and watch a ton of games. I am def going rear projector over another plasma just because of the huge price advantage.

Take a look at the charts linked in the General section of the FAQ. Question QG7. Looks to me like neither one is really "big enough" for optimum at that distance. If you can get the couch into about 15' then maybe I'd say a 82" would do something appreciably better for you than the 73".

post #3413 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I asked this earlier with out a response. Does anyone have the Dish 622 and have remote from the 622 turn on the Mits? the remote would turn my sony on and off, but I can't get it to turn on the Mits.

gthomas
post #3414 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 07:02 PM

Georule
he didn't know anything about it. had to check with someone on what i was talking about. just gave him serial number and purchase date after that, the fix may come linked to S/n would have to get it off and have someone else try to use it and hope it don't FUBAR the other TV..........
post #3415 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Nethomas

I have the dish 211k and it uses code 653 for my 60737 don't know if the codes would be the same or not.
post #3416 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsj11 View Post

Georule
he didn't know anything about it. had to check with someone on what i was talking about. just gave him serial number and purchase date after that, the fix may come linked to S/n would have to get it off and have someone else try to use it and hope it don't FUBAR the other TV..........

True. I'll volunteer to guinea pig, as I have a 60737 too. Perhaps I'll call tomorrow and order my own flash drive as well, so I have a backup if the file from you causes a problem.

post #3417 of 11280 Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post

True. I'll volunteer to guinea pig, as I have a 60737 too. Perhaps I'll call tomorrow and order my own flash drive as well, so I have a backup if the file from you causes a problem.

K he said 5-7 days i'll be back to you when i get it.
post #3418 of 11280 Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 AM

Can a wish list of firmware updates be made and presented. Mine would be an off timer or a reverse of the on timer. It could also be that I missed something here. I find myself falling asleep on this thing and it runs a hour or two just looking at me. My lcd has an off timer does this tv have one hidden in a menu somewhere?
post #3419 of 11280 Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it's under the More button on the remote. See page 21 of the owner's guide.

post #3420 of 11280 Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Good News! I found out it's my PS3 doing the interference. I took my HDMI and hooked it up to the DVR and then I ran the PS2 with component and there was no horizontal ghost bar.

Then, I moved the HDMI back over to the PS3 with my Ps2 still running in component mode and bloop, the horizontal line is back.

Now that I narrowed it down, I hope that the PS3 does not do this with all the HDMI's.

I bought this Mad Catz one and it says specifically for PS3. Strange how My PS3 isn't even plugged in and it causes that horizontal ghost line bar. I'm gonna get a new HDMI and see if that solves the problem. Atleast now I know that I can have HDMI and Component plugged in at the same time. I just got to figure out a way to get the PS3 a HDMI that won't cause that horizontal static ghost line.

Could be a ground loop problem. Is the PS3 plugged into the same power outlet as the other devices, if not can you try plugging it into the same one as the HDTV and other devices to see if this solves the interference.

Mike T

Size Matters

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page