2Likes

post #631 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRph View Post

Please, try to take some pictures of the TV and a station or program that shows this phenomenon. There are MANY people on this forum that should be able to help you.

I would imagine, since it is a 73" DLP TV, that you are seeing "artifacts" or signal degredation from the Cable Box. ALWAYS use HDMI when possible. Component cables are not as good. Do you have HD CABLE?? Try to look at various stations on HD channels. Two things I can think of:

#1 The viewing distance from YOU to the TV should be about 14ft (or more), any closer and YOU WILL SEE these artifacts. Remember, you have a 1080p TV now,,,,,,,,so it is TRYING to upconvert/display a "sub-par" input and make it "better". Try a BLU-RAY DVD.......I bet you will fall over.
#2 You have a 73" TV........Seventy-three INCHES of TV!!!! You have to expect "some" video noise......since this thing is LARGER than most people!!

Again, show us all some pictures. I am sure we can help!!!

I am using the HDMI, I have Wide Open West HD cable (supposedly), the cable box upconverts to 1080i, I am planning on getting a blu ray soon, I am sitting about 10-12 feet from the TV.

Why do I get 'tiling' and text distortion (these occur simultaneously) on HD channels.

The artifacts are not always present, and some channels seem worse than others.

Would satellite be better than cable for picture quality?

I will see about getting photos of the problems, but since it is intermittent and occasional, that may not be possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

All displays deserve a calibration, even a simple one, but the Mitsubishi DLP comes with EVERYTHING wrong. If you don't have a calibration DVD or Bluray, rent one or buy one from Ebay. At least adjust contrast, brightness,sharpness and basic colors. Only use the set on "natural" mode , the other modes make the picture much more vivid but also introduce A LOT of artifacts.
The 73737 is not the best picture in the market but I'm sure it can improve dramatically from factory settings.

I have noticed that the settings needed adjustment.

'Natural' does not seem to help very much.

I will check about the calibration disc.
post #633 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

Does your cable box need the output settings changed to 1080I or 1080P. I would check the cable box menus for something like that.

The cable box outputs 1080i.
post #634 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Again,
Try a SD/DVD or a BLU-RAY DVD.

If those look "good/great"......then research your cable box settings or connections (1080i is what our COX CABLE HD broadcasts in).

I have a WD60737 (60" DLP) and it looks AMAZING......no........

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (lol)

I watched Pirates of the Carribbean (Dead Man's Chest) last night on
BLU-RAY and all I can say is............WOW.

We have watched Cox Cable HD MLB games, I can see the individual blades of grass when the pitcher is on the mound.........and I can see so much detail on MLB games........Sports Center in HD is truly amazing.

I am going to take some shots with a camera of my WD60737 tonight and post.......I am a FIRM believer that I got a "good one" (TV).
post #635 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Again,
Try a SD/DVD or a BLU-RAY DVD.

If those look "good/great"......then research your cable box settings or connections (1080i is what our COX CABLE HD broadcasts in).

I have a WD60737 (60" DLP) and it looks AMAZING......no........

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (lol)

I watched Pirates of the Carribbean (Dead Man's Chest) last night on
BLU-RAY and all I can say is............WOW.

We have watched Cox Cable HD MLB games, I can see the individual blades of grass when the pitcher is on the mound.........and I can see so much detail on MLB games........Sports Center in HD is truly amazing.

I am going to take some shots with a camera of my WD60737 tonight and post.......I am a FIRM believer that I got a "good one" (TV).

When I do not have the "issues", HD channels are very clean. I have tried an old (480i) DVD, connect through composite video, and did not see the artifacts, distortion, or tiling. I am beginning to suspect the problem is the cable service/equipment.
post #636 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I hope your camera works better than "Happy Nightmares" He promised 737 837 comparison pictures within 24 to 48 hours about 120 hours ago Just kidding Happy, I know you have been busy
post #637 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does your cable box need the output settings changed to 1080I or 1080P. I would check the cable box menus for something like that.

Ah, good advice. And if he does have an antenna around I would also like to know what it looks like picking up OTA HD vs what he is seeing from the cable box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #638 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 01:34 PM

OK...here's what I found out from Paul's TV in Nashua, NH

3 EXTRA years for $249.00 with a company called NSI.

Googled NSI & the first page was a forum...NOTHING BUT BAD ISSUES WITH THEM according to all of the posts I read...Although the posts were over a year old.

GEO---are you happy with the company that you provided those links for?

For others: I bought a WD-65737 and am asking about Extended warranties.

Haven't got it yet as it was a "package deal" with a furniture store that has Paul's TV IN it...4-6 weeks for the furniture, so I'm having it all delivered at once.

I AM a newbie, and know nothing about this stuff---I watch TV & have a $79.00 DVR, that's it---so ANY help from you guys (man---my respect for THIS group of people is growing hourly) will be greatly appreciated.

ALSO---I am estimating that IF I sit at the farthest point in my living room, I'll be about 8-9 feet away from the screen...am I screwed? The TV was a VERY good deal with the furniture package, but I'm now wondering if it's gonna be too big? Is 8-9 feet too close?

Thanks,
Ted
post #639 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Too soon to say, ted723. I've only had it for a month, and didn't have them previously. I had already made the decision NOT to get the one offered by Ultimate Electronics as I didn't like the price vs a $995 TV (It was over $300). Then in perusing various threads here I noted often recurring advice from various folks for the Mack Camera one, and the price looked good. I figured this forum generally knows what it is talking about when the same advice shows up time and time again from different people. So I went that way.

But every warranty company will have unhappy customers. It is the nature of the beast. Someone here started an anti-Mack Camera Warranty thread a few weeks back for instance, and then it disappeared. Not sure why (might have got too hot).

CPS is another warranty company that gets mentioned around here a lot.

Here, try this thread out for your thinking: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1027267

But no, I'm not going to tell you which way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #640 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks GEO---I wouldn't ask for your DEFINATIVE advice...just based on experience.

Another ??? as I read this....I have had my Comcast DVR box since 9/08...I have some Pink Floyd Shows that I recorded that I want to keep...do you recommend I have Comcast install a NEW box when I move (which is when I'm getting the set) or is mine still "Current" enough...

And thank you so much for your help GEO...really.
post #641 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, dunno. What's the model# of your current Comcast box? If it's not written on the front of the box, it will be on the bottom or back. There have also been persistent rumours of new-gen DCX Moto boxes starting to roll out in Comcast areas this year.

Personally, I'm digging on a new DirecTV install right now. But if you're near Boston, you might be in pretty good shape HD-wise anyway compared to the more unlucky Comcast regions (like the one I just cancelled for cable tv).

Oh, btw re bulb warranties --personally, I'm not a big fan. I'd rather have a spare in the closet I can install myself in 10 mins to get the TV back to working than hassle with a warranty company. However long that takes, it takes longer than 10 mins! Also, you might find that a bulb that is getting dimmer but not dead yet is something you'd prefer to replace to get your TV back to minty-fresh brightness --and a warranty company only replaces dead bulbs. But as always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Good luck. Let us know which company you go with from your own research, as I'm sure other new owners later in the thread will also be interested.

post #642 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmason View Post

I finally got my Pioneer vsx-919-ah-k receiver and I am noticing they are having handshaking connection problems. The tv doesnt want to recognise it right away, and will switch back and forth between sources a few times before the AVR which is connected to my ps3 shows up on the tv. Any ideas?

Does your handshaking problem resolve itself after a few tries or does it remain?
post #643 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I hope your camera works better than "Happy Nightmares" He promised 737 837 comparison pictures within 24 to 48 hours about 120 hours ago Just kidding Happy, I know you have been busy

As soon as I get home, get the Mitsu up & running, I will take some still shots of:
SD Cable
HD Cable
SD DVD
BLU RAY DVD

It should be fun! I am REALLY impressed with this TV. Hands down the BEST TV I have owned to date. (Next closest was my 65" Mitsu CRT 1080i I bought from SEARS in 2001 for $2200 )
post #644 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As soon as I get home, get the Mitsu up & running, I will take some still shots of:
SD Cable
HD Cable
SD DVD
BLU RAY DVD

It should be fun! I am REALLY impressed with this TV. Hands down the BEST TV I have owned to date. (Next closest was my 65" Mitsu CRT 1080i I bought from SEARS in 2001 for $2200 )

Hooray for VegasRph I am looking forward to your photos!
post #645 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you want an extended warranty on your Mits, Mitsubishi sells them. I have one on my set and am very happy with their service. The way I see it is using them is a thank you for an excellent set and I want to help them keep on making them.
post #646 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 PM

The handshake problem with the pioneer vsx-919-ah-k still is going on. There is a known review floating around right now, that said the handshaking ability over HDMI with this receiver is a problem, and the only real fix to to try different start ups, so as to start up your receiver then PS3 then tv. Who knows, just sounds like one of those things!

post #647 of 11280 Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 PM

Ok, I am going to post a few screen shots (pictures) of my WD60737 and although the pictures are good........watching it in person is BETTER. I was trying to do the Mitsu DLP some justice.......but the digital camera just couldn't quite pick up every detail. This TV is just AMAZING.........I LOVE THIS DLP!!!!!

TV/Picture Settings = NATURAL/LOW (120Hz ON, Deep Field ON, Sharp Edge ON, Video Noise MED) Contrast = 46, Bright = 37, Color = 29, Tint = 32, Sharpness = 26.

Here are some pictures I just took:

I am using a Panasonic Blu-Ray Player (BD80k) for:
Fast & The Furious (SD/DVD)
Transformers (BLU-RAY)

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD for:
Cox Cable (SD & HD channels)
post #648 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 AM

Looks great! Thanks for the Pics VegasRph!
post #649 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice pics, VegasRph. You need to get DirecTV so you can have CNBC in HD.

post #650 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for taking the time VegasRph! I appreciate you including an example of SD with the CNBC picture. I have to say the colors, contrast and blacks look very good. I wonder if the 73" version of the 737 looks as good?
post #651 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Georule-
I do have CNBC in HD (channel 735) on Cox Cable. I was hoping to catch the SAME show on both SD & HD........but something different was on.

If you guys want to see CNBC in SD.......then in HD, I can take a few shots this morning while I am watching.

Honestly, I am HAPPY watching this TV in SD. But, the HD channels just simply ROCK on this TV.

Needless to say........DVDs look pretty darn good, IMO.
post #652 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Georule-
I do have CNBC in HD (channel 735) on Cox Cable. I was hoping to catch the SAME show on both SD & HD........but something different was on.

If you guys want to see CNBC in SD.......then in HD, I can take a few shots this morning while I am watching.

Honestly, I am HAPPY watching this TV in SD. But, the HD channels just simply ROCK on this TV.

Needless to say........DVDs look pretty darn good, IMO.

Was your player up-scaleing the dvd to 1080P? It looked great. I also thought that the SD looked very good and watchable as well.
post #653 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted723 View Post

OK...here's what I found out from Paul's TV in Nashua, NH

3 EXTRA years for $249.00 with a company called NSI.

Googled NSI & the first page was a forum...NOTHING BUT BAD ISSUES WITH THEM according to all of the posts I read...Although the posts were over a year old.

GEO---are you happy with the company that you provided those links for?

For others: I bought a WD-65737 and am asking about Extended warranties.

Haven't got it yet as it was a "package deal" with a furniture store that has Paul's TV IN it...4-6 weeks for the furniture, so I'm having it all delivered at once.

I AM a newbie, and know nothing about this stuff---I watch TV & have a $79.00 DVR, that's it---so ANY help from you guys (man---my respect for THIS group of people is growing hourly) will be greatly appreciated.

ALSO---I am estimating that IF I sit at the farthest point in my living room, I'll be about 8-9 feet away from the screen...am I screwed? The TV was a VERY good deal with the furniture package, but I'm now wondering if it's gonna be too big? Is 8-9 feet too close?

Thanks,
Ted

Ted, you post made me smile when you mentioned that you were a newbie and added "am I screwed." I know you didn't intend any comedy but after reading your post I envisoned a comedian doing Home Theater jokes as Mr. Newbie. Mr. Newbie plugs things into the wrong place, trips over wires, buys the wrong things, and keeps saying "Man, I'm screwed." Nothing personal, I just found some humor when I wasn't looking for it. That's probably the best kind.
post #654 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and 8' is just a hair close for 65". But 9' is fine. So lean back a little, Ted!

post #655 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 11:50 AM

I wonder if someone can help me diagnose where the humming noise is coming from whenever I turn on my TV. When the TV is switched off, I still hear it for 30 seconds and then starts to decline and noise goes away. Someone told me it's the Color Wheel and another said it's the fan. Need help so I can buy the right part.
post #656 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

My money would be on the fan. I'd also think the fan would be a lot cheaper to buy a replacement for than the color wheel if there was any doubt on the matter, so also the place to start. The thread for your specific 2007 model line of Mits DLPs is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=688802 Those folks would have more direct experience with your model.

post #657 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks for the welcome to the forum! Honestly, I should have joined a while back, I would normally browse the forums for advice before I joined. My old set-up was kinda outdated.......I had a Panasonic 47" CRT 1080i (rear projector) that had a pretty nice picture in SD & HD thru Cox Cable......but it died last Friday!
Since I am always reading online & browsing the stores, I had a pretty good idea what I was looking for......but this Mitsu DLP just blew me away! In fact, my wife says on the SD & HD channels she can notice an improvement vs the older Panasonic. Of course, Blu-Ray is just stunning........Disney-Pixar movies look INSANE.
Right now, I am running the WD-60737 in NATURAL mode + LOW Temp. I adjusted the contrast & sharpness a little........I left the other settings alone.
To me, the TV is just so BEAUTIFUL.......I cannot believe the picture quality for $995. Seems like the best deal out there right now! (I would have loved to have the 65" or 73" model, but the 60" was a tight squeeze for our Media Niche in our Living room).

As far as the calibration (professional) goes, I agree with the cost $$ issue. If it was only $100 or so, I would have it done......but at $300.....it's tough to swallow.

Would any of the DVD Essential discs be worth it to use? Is there one for Blu-Ray? I know I got a DVD at home, circa year 2001 or so (Best Buy) that I could play with.

Any thoughts?

Yes, DVE now comes in Blu.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...5874723&sr=8-1
post #658 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Was your player up-scaleing the dvd to 1080P? It looked great. I also thought that the SD looked very good and watchable as well.

Yes, it was on 1080p. I read TONS of reviews on the current BLU-RAY players and the Panasonic BD 60/80k models seemed the best out there. I think the 80k is a little better (more options) and can be had for $275 w/free shipping. The 60k is fine as well, can be had for around $225. Most sites have said the Panasonic models do a BETTER job upconverting SD material to 1080p. I have to agree........I can see much more PQ with this BD80k. LOVE IT.

The Mitsu WD60737 + Panasonic BD80k = FANTASTIC PQ!!!!

Read this review:
http://www.buyblurayplayers.com/pana...er-review-3432
post #659 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I will post it on the right section.
post #660 of 11280 Old 06-24-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR View Post

Not necessarily, IMO. I've seen some rotten low-end plasmas, and many of the cheap LCDs have subpar black levels and even the better ones can be nearly unwatchable because of all the gimmicky image processing. I saw the 737 the other day in the local BB Magnolia and fiddled with it for a while. The blacks aren't bad and at least the picture looks natural. While plasmas have gotten quite good in recent years, there is still that shimmer and ever so slight unsteadiness of image you get from a pixel display. Never owned a plasma but I suppose you get used to it. I'll say this as far as plasmas go, the (discontinued) Pio. Kuro is head and shoulders above the competition from Panasonic and Samsung so if you have $$ in the bank and want to go plasma, get one now while they're still available. Pioneer has a 60" panel and Panasonic is scheduled to release a 65" soon. Pricey, pricey though.

I'd like to see what the 837 Diamond offers above the base models, but none in my town to see. Waiting for more reviews & especially interested in what the calibrators think.

I just bought the Panasonic Viera TH-65PZ850U 65" 1080p Plasma HDTV a couple of weeks ago and then had it professionally calibrated last week.
It looks great, however I was in BB 2 days ago and saw the new Mitsu WD-73837 and I was shocked at how good the picture looked and I have never been a DLP fan but wow it looked good. I then went up to a another store where they specialize in Mitsu sales and it even looked better. Other than the Pioneer elite I think plasmas are over rated. Yeah my set has nice black levels but it does not have the PQ of the 837. It showed detail in the 'Dark Knight' I had not seen before on my Panny. I am returning my 850U and getting the 837 (along with 2K back). To me detail and PQ are more important and inky blacks (although the Pioneer elite 141 looks real good it is still only 60 inches and I want bigger).
BB had had a 737 up and I was not impressed but the 837 looked terrific.
I believe Mitsubishi is finally putting out some nice sets.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page